Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mykal Rose and Sister Carol March 14th in Chico Ca

Posted by Diesel 
Mykal Rose and Sister Carol March 14th in Chico Ca
February 23, 2013 04:49PM
Stay Positive Sound is bring Mykal Rose and Sister Carol back to Chico on March 14th at Lost On Main.
Re: Mykal Rose and Sister Carol March 14th in Chico Ca
February 26, 2013 07:02PM
Thumbs up
(don't know how people do the image)
February 26, 2013 09:12PM
Still kicking myself for missing the Alla/Luciano action - I'll be seeing you guys at this one for sure!

G - there's a smiling smiley icon where you type your message - click it to inject icons into the message.

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
March 02, 2013 01:39AM
You did miss out. I think the after party for me was a better time than the Day show. I finally got to relax and see some of the show. Prince Alla killed it and Luciano came up and did a few tracks which blew me away.
The Mykal Rose show should be a good time. Please help spread the word.
March 14, 2013 04:16PM
Shows TONIGHT!!!
March 14, 2013 07:32PM
I can't wait! Overdue for a sweet show

jps
March 15, 2013 01:25PM
How was the show? They will both be here in Raleigh on 4/20 and will be going to that.
March 15, 2013 05:59PM
It was worth the wait, haha. Someone was on the mic when I came back in, but I didn't catch who it was and Sister Carol came out soon after around 11ish. She did her thing and the band (?) was sounding nice all night. Drummie had some sweet fills that mixed things up a bit. Her set wasn't all that long - just about right to get the place warmed up. At one point the stage lights went out (someone trip over a cord?) and she was playing in the dark, haha. She wound it up with Natty Congo.

Diesel wanted to get as much Michael Rose as possible so he kept things rolling - real short break. By the time I came back inside Grammy was in full swing. Played mostly old Uhuru tunes, and the band did them all in the original Sly n Robbie arrangements: General Penitentiary, Spongie Reggae, I Love King Selassie, Abortion - and sprinkled in some solo stuff: Bonanza, Bull in the Pen, etc.. Shoot Out was a highlight: really got the crowd moving. Sound was good (although he had some monitor issues at one point - sounded fine to us and Loren got it going soon after).

The fams was definitely in the house: Fatty Matty and Alex from ID brought their ladies, Sanjay was smiling (and got a shoutout from Diesel that had the whole place showing respect) all night, Heidi, Grant, Coot - it was nice to see everyone that I've been missing (haven't been out much this winter!).

You should enjoy the show. smiling smiley

March 15, 2013 08:38PM
A few tunes I forgot to mention (that have been bubbling back into my head all day): Party Next Door, What Is Life, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, Sensimilla & Solidarity. And I['m sure I'm forgetting a few others...

March 16, 2013 05:47PM
Thanks for the great write up. I'm glad all that went had fun. I just wish I could figure out how to get 200 people there. I love reggae and will continue to support it,but if Chico doesn't start to support this music I'm afraid my promotion days here are coming to an end in Chico. I'm just getting tried of people complaint over a $25 cover. Cool you paid $25 and are complaint, I just $2500 to see the same show and worked the entire time and weeks before it getting ready.
March 16, 2013 06:20PM
ouch! Sounds like reggae, never much support. Hopefully it will start working out for you bro.
March 17, 2013 05:13PM
Thanks Spliffp. Everyone that knows me knows I'm not into this for the money. I do it for the good of our community and get artsts to my town that I like and to my studio to cut dubs. I prolly wouldn't have any problem with loosing money if people at the show didn't complain so much. Why do you show up to a concert you know is $25 and ask to pay $15? When you get to the door I don't raise the price to $35. Just seems like people are always trying to take advantage of us.
Don't worry for my hard core fans and true reggae supporters I will continue to put on shows. I'm just going to have them at my house so I don't have to deal with the rude people.
I still have 2 shows booked and paid for. April 18th I have Prezient Brown, Pato Banton, The Reggae Angles and Rivah Jordan. If this show does not get the support of Chico and a crowd of 225 it will be my last live band show in Chico.
April 21 we haves free dub plate showcase with Mighty Crown and bunch of local California Sounds.
March 18, 2013 08:24PM
"Found in Paradise"? We can hold a few at my place and it could be "Now We're Really Lost" (in Magalia). Hahaha!

Sorry the whiners are bringing you down man! I did notice a lot of the crowd were old-timers (folks I mentioned above, etc. - the same guys who were there when Inka Inka and Strictly Roots used to run LaSalles weekly), not so many younger peeps. Maybe there just isn't many reggae fans going to school this year? I know Panama's had their thing going on for quite a while with some success, but it was all DJ and small (if any) cover. IN fact that's where I met you now that I think about it! smiling smiley It can be hard to shell out for all the shows you want, especially in this town where you have so many shows to choose from. I swear we have nearly as many top acts come through town here (not just reggae - in general) as in Santa Cruz/Bay Area. You guys have been pumping a lot of great acts through town, but sadly it seems Chico can't keep up!

For me personally - it's more about working the next day. The one good thing LaSalles had going back in the old days was it that the reggae nights usually landed on a Friday. I'm not totally sure why Thursdays became the norm in town (other than live acts are usually booked in the city Fri/Sat), but it's tough to get out of a show at 2, drive an hour to get home, and get back up to get ready for work at 7, and THAT's sleeping in. I could pull it off once, but getting too damn old! smiling smiley It would be one thing if the bands got going earlier - I'd be more inclined to show up if I could see some of it and still cut out early enough to get some decent sleep.

Hope to make the Fantan/Pato show - but if not I'll see you at the showcase for sure.

March 18, 2013 08:37PM
By the way - I thought I'd add to this: So many festivals to choose from these days! It used to be that ROTR and SNWMF were the only 2 I really cared about, but these days in addition to budgeting for live shows in town, you have to factor in which festivals to see! I know a lot of people in town are saving up for their High Sierra/Burning Man/NWWRF/Earthdance/Kate Wolf/Cali Worldfest/Coachella (Gaia when it's happening). And that's just the larger ones - add to that Freedom Dance/Wild Mountain Faire/Dragonfly and "whatever your local flavor" shows - and that's a lot of entertainment dollars taken away from the typical local scene.

March 19, 2013 07:08PM
Chico Music Calendar man Curtis Pope posted a few shots from the show:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login