Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

First time attendee to SNWMF. Need infomation.

Posted by ZoulJah 
First time attendee to SNWMF. Need infomation.
March 12, 2013 12:03AM
Hello everyone,

I am here looking for some tips on how to prepare myself for the 3 day event. Right now, I'm a little undecided on what I should do? The people that I'm going with and myself aren't sure if we should rent a hotel room (30 mins away), or if it's better to just camp at the camp site. I have been telling them that it is just better to camp, that way we don't have to worry about driving every morning to the event, but most of the people I'm going with are girls so they are insisting on getting a hotel. Is there parking garages or parking areas where we can pay daily for parking? Any information is appreciated. Thanks to all of you in advance for the information.

Regards,
Alfredo
Re: First time attendee to SNWMF. Need infomation.
March 12, 2013 09:52AM
There is plenty of different places to park in town without having to pay. The rule of thumb is to not park at any of the local businesses or block any drive ways as you will be towed. Your best option, which I have used the last couple of years, would be to park at the high school (on the north end of town) and take the free shuttle to the fairgrounds. I have walked from the parking area at the school to the fairgrounds without much trouble.
March 12, 2013 10:54AM
My wife and I always stay at a hotel in Ukiah most likely for the same reasons the girls wish to. The drive isn't all that bad and often people will car pool. For instance, I want to see every act and be at the festival from start to finish. My wife isn't so intense and I sometimes split up with her catching a later ride.

I know many here will tell you that if you don't camp you'll miss out on a part of the festival experience.

Either way, it's all good! Welcome to SNWMF.
March 12, 2013 01:12PM
For me part of the experience is camping amongst the masses, meeting new people and enjoying the energy. If you guys decide to get a hotel in Ukiah just be aware the road from Ukiah to Boonville is narrow and windy, definitely want to make sure someone is awake, alert and sober if you plan on driving each night after the show is over. But as Mr. Black sad there is plenty of free parking during the day as long as your courteous to the locals
March 12, 2013 01:27PM
I am with Redwood Rebel, I could not imagine going to a festival and staying at a hotel. My favorite part is getting there and setting up camp and meeting our neighbors! Every year at festivals I make new friends! I would buy camping soon because it always seems to sell out before the tickets do.
March 12, 2013 03:02PM
For me camping among the masses would mean a night of little sleep. If i were to camp there i think i would stay at the brewery. For me to last through the day i need 7 or 8 hours of sleep, fortunately i own a beach house an hour away. Long drive but great sleep, enough energy to go from noon to midnite and then get up the next morning and do it again.

Love that reggae!
March 12, 2013 03:29PM
for those of us who require sleep - the brewery is perfect.
March 12, 2013 04:18PM
mulligan
for those of us who require sleep - the family camp is perfect.
-imo
March 12, 2013 06:10PM
mulligan

co-sign that. I had this tune blaring next to me until past dawn... over and over

nah lie
March 12, 2013 06:20PM
bun n cheese
mulligan

co-sign that. I had this tune blaring next to me until past dawn... over and over

nah lie
Wow. That would make not want to go to snwmf again. My 10 experience had mostly been in family camp. I have always had awesome respectful neighbors and alway find a way to have other family and friend camp close to us on the baseball field. It's great, we are so close to the festival and it is easy to go back to camp to refuel or nap with my wife and son. I recommend family camp if you are over 30 and with family and friends. Some people I met a decade ago I am still friends with now and consider them my Sierra family.
Re: First time attendee to SNWMF. Need information.
March 12, 2013 11:12PM
Thanks to everyone for the quick response. I really appreciated.

I honestly rather camp there, so how are the showers and restrooms there? and how does it work with the camping ticket, how much space do you get to build a tent? What is the brewery? is it extra to sleep there? Can we bring food and drinks in our cars? I apologize for these dumb questions is just that I've never been to a 3 day festival, so I am clueless on what to expect or how to prepare myself. Once again thank you all for your replies.
March 13, 2013 08:30AM
Jahsiah
mulligan
for those of us who require sleep - the family camp is perfect.
-imo

uh, yeah. If I say it - that would obviously be 'imo".

And now you say you camp in family camp.
Family Camp is NOT the jungle.......not even close.
You can actually expect to sleep at Family CAmp - not so in the jungle.
AJ
March 13, 2013 08:38AM
I have never camped at the festival or AVB in Boonville, but I imagine a shade tent would be a good thing. Even at Hendy Woods State Park shade tents come in handy. Love my shade in the summer time.
March 13, 2013 11:31AM
Camping at the fest: they squeeze vehicles together with enough room for a tent/shade, etc behind (in most cases) your vehicle. If you want to camp with friends then caravan into the festival grounds together and stick together. There are pay showers in the campgrounds, and free ones behind the grandstands (get there early before they flood out - for some reason they don't believe in shower curtains so it gets flooded fast). You can definitely bring food/drinks for consumption in the camp area but alcohol isn't allowed to be brought in the festival grounds proper. It is available to purchase inside of course.

The Anderson Valley Brewery is a short walk from the fairgrounds, and camping there is a separate deal and not really tied to the festival, and not sure what they will be charging this year, but I think it's usually pretty similar to what the regular camping passes go for (someone correct me if wrong)? The camping there is nice, lots of shady spots, etc. Not to mention lots of delicious beers on tap in the taproom.

Some folks camp up the road a bit at Hendy Woods (State Park), although it may be booked already.

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
March 13, 2013 12:32PM
I have a camping pass but am interested in Anderson Valley because it sounds like its the only way to be close and still get sleep. I listened to that song Bun N Cheese played and had my fiance listen to it and we both decided we would probably try to hurt whoever was playing that till 6am so its probably better to not put us in that situation. LMAO. Anderson Valley goes on sale June 1st? If i do get a Anderson Valley camping pass is it hard to sell my other camping pass? I have not been to SNWMF since 08 and dont remember sleep being an issue. I was also 23 then and probably did not sleep myself. LOL. I like NOMO and others who have posted on here need 8 hours of sleep or I get grumpy and emotional, we dont need those vibes. smiling smiley
Re: First time attendee to SNWMF. Need information.
March 14, 2013 12:19AM
Lol, all you guys helped me convince the people that I am going to camp either at the festival or at the brewery. I want to thank all you for the information. it was really help fulled, made my decision so much easier. Now I feel ready for the show, I can't wait. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2013 12:19AM by ZoulJah.
March 14, 2013 12:29PM
@ rossta8888
Last year I sold my camping pass when I arrived in Boonville to the 2nd or 3rd person I solicited. If the passes are sold out, if last year is any indication, they will sell out and you will have no problem.
March 14, 2013 02:12PM
Thank you MR Black, I figured as much but glad to hear it would not be a problem.
March 15, 2013 08:25AM
basics! (tickets, cash, tent, warm clothes)
EZ UP
Chairs
Air Mattress
EAR PLUGS
Duct Tape'
first aid kit

Hydrate!

Great Time awaits you inna BOOMVille
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login