Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bowl half packed or half empty for you?

Posted by dirtbag 
dirtbag
bowl half packed or half empty for you?
February 28, 2005 03:00PM
regarding this years lineup so far is it half full or half empty for you?
I for one think its quite full of good vibes, but curious about what others might see missing. Not specific acts but genre or particular vibes. Example many people were happy when snwmf splashed the pot with bluegrass in recent years.
Chalwa Blaze
Re: bowl half packed or half empty for you?
February 28, 2005 05:08PM
Want someone to bring the fire! Lutan is not enough, more fire.
February 28, 2005 05:14PM
more fyah and more queen action!!!
bless up
e mpress

"It takes a whole village to raise a child" African Proverb
February 28, 2005 05:30PM
my bowl is half full. the components are coming together nicely and there's not much filler to get in the way as of yet.

calireggae
March 01, 2005 06:24AM
I would deffinately say half full. Although I would like to see a few more St.Croix artists, maybe some we have yet to see, ie. Yahadani, Abja, Batch.
March 01, 2005 08:40AM
i say my bowl is almost full.... i think 5th element is SICK!!! They are gonna wreck the show... and lutan will too.... i CANT WAIT FOR MACKAB and Abyssinians!!!!

light it up
HIGHPRAISE
March 01, 2005 09:17AM
Half empty...
Waiting for world acts to be announced..
More roots. Seen abyssinians many times (though always good)
Heritage? eehhh. Need more obscure acts, but i have faith...
April 03, 2006 04:58PM
The group that would encompass all of your request is Taj Weekes and Adowa
obscure enough, worldly enough, rootsy enough and incredible....the Beat magazine call them the only group to capture the roots rocking throb of the wailers. they were considered one of the best releases of 2005 and were incredible at B.B kings in New York for the Gregory Isaacs show
check them out. soon to be in your town
taj weekes and adowa
April 03, 2006 05:41PM
i was kind of hopeing for a rubba dub session in the dancehall- other than that things are coming together nicely inna snwmf stylee.
this time im realy gonna check shaka-last time around (02) i only check em out for a min-dont realy remember much.
as far as stage acts go im usually pretty content with the way things turn out-i think thats why this is my favorite fest.
one love-juan love
April 03, 2006 05:50PM
This year I'd say empty...

Jahsprey
April 03, 2006 06:40PM
My bowl is always full. SNWMF will bring the fire. Peace.

jb welda
April 03, 2006 10:47PM
you know chimino, why dont you just give it up. you dont like anything being presented, you have nothing but sh*t to say about the dancehall and youre just negative in general. the real point is you will probably have to work or some other high priority will have come up so you wouldnt attend no matter who appears. i dont understand why you waste your time on such a lost cause as snwmf.

one love
jah bill
April 03, 2006 11:31PM
bill **** off and stop sweatin me. The question was brought up both last year and this year, and I told the truth both times. I always make it one of my summertime entertainment options, and if you can't handle hearing other peoples opinions on the lineup choices then don't read them.

April 04, 2006 02:49AM
I am soo so happy with this years line up. MIR, inner visions, gomba jahbari, culture, baaba maal, don carlos?? that line up is so conscious and beautiful, the "other guys" have nothing on how warren and gretchen carefully pick each artist. Our artists may not be the top top MTV like artists, but no one here wants that anyway. im glad that every year they stick to their roots and stay true to the music. we are truly blessed to have this festival in a new home, under a new moon, with many new artists! i knew this year would be special.

April 04, 2006 08:39AM
It will be a great festival for sure. Not a lot of mainstream/popular reggae names, but some very high quality none the less. Trust Baaba Maal will turn it out, along with MIR and you know Don will do something extra special for the massive. Ken Boothe, Joseph Hill and the list goes on... I can't fret. I just hope it stops raining. I am about to start contruction on my Ark if it doesn't let up soon.

Faith = Strength
jb welda
April 04, 2006 09:07AM
chimmy:

quack quack quack

one love
jah bill

pale ryder
April 04, 2006 09:41AM
Just dont bring back Shaggy. That would empty my cup.....
Dr Lifty Lu
April 04, 2006 11:57AM
I would love to see "the pot splashed with a little bluegrass" this year. One of the greatest sights ever at SNWMF was Peter Rowan with Horsemouth and Fully Fullwood Band in '03, too bad there were only about 20 people at the main stage when he played, though us good 'ol boys made enough noise up front to bring Panama Red out for an encore.

How about Hot Buttered Rum? They do some tight bluegrass/world beat fusion.
April 04, 2006 01:19PM
It's too eqarly to tell. Don Carlos has been there more times than me, but he still rocks. I haven't really heard too much Maal, but he could be a new favorite artist. MIR, well as Daniel put it, a risk as a headliner, but I haven't seen them or heard too much of their stuff. They get a first time headliner when some other acts had to work their way from the small stage, but it ain't my fest. I'm sure there are many more announcements to come. It's too early to tell, but the worst year was when Sizzla fizzled and Marcia Griffiths wouldn't fly united or something. And that year was still good.
April 04, 2006 07:11PM
as far as the hot buttered rum goes, i saw them with another s.f native group, New Monsoon @ the fillmore in february. New Monsoon should be noted as a very worthy world artist. They are produced by Santana's original drummer Michael Shrieve (woodstock). Their sound goes from didgeridoo to the banjo, to the tablas, piano and guitar. with latin, afro and bluegrass beats, they more than fit the bill. i know they have a lot of festivals to play this summer, but if not this year, then next. these guys are AMAZING!
April 05, 2006 07:44AM
my bowl runneth over

keep the roots reggae coming, SNWMF
April 05, 2006 04:47PM
Half empty for me...
I'd love to go reguardless, but at this point, this line up isn' worth shelling out a few hundred bucks: most of the names I know either I've seen or will have every opportunity to see eventually.
April 05, 2006 04:51PM
I don't know about most...many of these artists are getting up there in age and don't play in the states very often anyway... I'll be there
---peaces---
jb welda
April 05, 2006 04:56PM
>most of the names I know either I've seen or will have every opportunity to see
>eventually.

really? which of these have you seen in the past 10 years? culture for sure. don carlos probably. misty in roots only if youve seen them in the past couple years and then it was for a very short opening slot. possibly ken boothe. probably not counting luna angel good as she is.

after that im drawing a blank esp if you consider professor will be on the board and if actually "performing" will probably be doing a dj session. the rest of them are pretty scarce around these parts to my knowledge.

maybe its that part about "names i know"?

Baaba Maal
Misty In Roots
Culture
Don Carlos
Jah Shaka
Michael Prophet
Earl Sixteen
Mad Professor
The Robotiks
Rico Rodriguez
Ken Boothe
Soul Vendors
Sidestepper
Inner Visions
Aisha
Amadou & Mariam
Gomba Jahbari
Luna Angel
Asheba

one love
jah bill
matt
April 05, 2006 06:00PM
i'd say three quarters at this point. i'd love to see someone who perhaps was at the fest somewhat recently but that i'd love to see again. maybe bushman, the ethiopians, junior murvin, yanny you, macka .

and i'm actually somewhat excited for a typical headliner, like maybe michael rose or something.

the headliners are not really ever my favorite sets, but there's something about having them there.
April 05, 2006 06:09PM
smaller acts often become the highlights of shows for me. good example is this last year's Dreadstock, up to the show I had no clue who Malika Madreaman was except for seeing her do backing vocals for Wadi about 2 weeks before the show. Malika wound up being one of the highlights of the weekend for me (and from the response I was hearing, a lot of other people as well) and in my opinion outdid guys like Barrington.

Speaking of that, I'd be down to hear Malika at SNWMF. Peace

Dr. Suess (aka Ras James)
Irie Sounds International
April 05, 2006 06:13PM
Yes I Ras James. I would LOVE to see Malika this year!!! Her debut album is a blessing, and she's got 2 new projects coming out. Aisha, Luna Angel and Mariam are nice, but we need more lionesses like Malika Madremana!!! Beware - Rampage coming soon.
April 05, 2006 06:16PM
>> "my bowl runneth over"

Yeah - nice call don julio, same for me! I'm excited about everyone so far - not all that familiar with Aisha, Gomba Jahbari, or Asheba - but seeing new acts is part of the festival, and I like what I've dug up recently...

AND MIR is HEADLINING!!! That speaks volumes for me - nice pick I say.
Iron
April 05, 2006 06:23PM
My bowls overflowing and I don't know what to do. :-)

But I'm not going to SNWMF. I live in the UK, but I wouldn't go even if I lived near 'cos I reckon live reggae sucks MOST of the time (not all, but...).

Given that most of it is music written for/produced for/played by the dancehall, I'm not complaining, cos I can go hear it any weekend and most weekdays played as it should be: through a soundsystem in a dance. But then again we actually have some good soundsystems here; apparently either they're lacking in your part of the US or the SNWMF doesn't think hippies and trustafarians can cope with them.

Shame really- opportunity wasted. All the best anyway!
April 05, 2006 09:19PM
I agree, Iron. Although they've done a good job introducing the rub-a-dub sounds like Sturgav & Downbeat to the West Coast....the sound system thing could/should be a much bigger piece of the pie there. Then again I'll probably be badgered for not drooling at the lineup listed so far.

mosiahigh777
April 05, 2006 09:26PM
MIR=bowl overflow+ all the other artist...........I need a bigger bowl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It' only getting better with quality quantity, roots music for roots people!!!
matt
April 06, 2006 05:47AM
you know, the word trustafarians is actually a pretty positive name. one of my best friends who is rasta and i talked about it and it definitely rings with positivity.

if i had a trust fund, i'd possibly be billed as a trustafarian. wouldn't you want to be able to go and do as you please with no money worries.

lucky bastards.

respect to all people and all things.
April 06, 2006 07:15AM
1/2 full of course, since it will soon be more that 1/2 full. positiveness...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login