Re: Reggae on the River 2013 Line-Up
May 13, 2013 07:05PM
Friday night looks like a winner! Junior Kelly's slot, on the other hand, is definitely lame! 3 p.m. on Sunday? That's usually naptime! They should flip flop his and Rootz Underground's slot...
May 13, 2013 09:33PM
Yea, Junior Kelly and the Prez are getting shafted on timeslots. Oh well, will be an awesome weekend with what looks like very little time spent in camp. Forward the vibes!
May 14, 2013 05:14AM
Dj trees, where did you get the day by day? Thanks.
May 14, 2013 01:36PM
I thought junior Kelly got the shaft at snwmf, but 3 on Sunday is bad and short. Should b the headliner. Don't people realize he's the best ever! I don't get it. Pretty earl For prez. Pretty early for show times too. The lineup could change a bunch
May 14, 2013 01:49PM
The Prez at 11:40AM.....what? Unfortunate to not be able to get such a top artist a better time slot....
May 14, 2013 02:47PM
Junior Kelly is about where I think he should be except you could switch him and Rootz Underground, but Morgan Heritage should headline for sure. Once again the Prezident gets the shaft, seems to happen every single time he is at a festival.
May 14, 2013 02:54PM
westafari
Dj trees, where did you get the day by day? Thanks.

I was sent an email from the promoters.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 14, 2013 08:37PM
I said it before and I will say it again, junior Kelly is the top performer on this bill. He should headline. When has Julian had a solo hit on the charts for 15 weeks like "love so nice." actually, when has Julian had a hit at all. Never.

Blah, beating a dead horse. Sigh......
May 14, 2013 08:41PM
Maybe "boom draw." maybe????
May 14, 2013 08:48PM
Julian has some alright songs, boom draw probably being his biggest, but in my opinion he's getting the headliner slot based on his last name more than his catalog of music. They should throw Rootz Underground in the Prez' spot then push Junior Kelly back and we could end the fest with Prez, Junior Kelly and Morgan Heritage back to back to back
May 15, 2013 01:20AM
I really like that thought redwood!!!! Big time.
May 15, 2013 11:55AM
Nice idea. Morgan heritage does deserve closer. But junior Kelly should be the boom draw for saturday night. Ya beating dead horse. Prez does nice daytime set but should be later onsaturday instead of all those acts never heard of. Nobody better than junior Kelly, but I will leave deadh horse alone. Junior Kelly got 3 pm Sunday at snwmf also
May 15, 2013 01:05PM
westafari
Maybe "boom draw." maybe????

That's funny. Julian Marley's biggest hit, Boom Draw, isn't even the best song of that same name by all of the artists that will be at ROTR. How in the world is he headlining? Damian or Stephen I could see, but Julian doesn't have the popularity or the catalog to deserve that spot.

May 15, 2013 05:42PM
Good selection niceup....how could I forget haha
May 15, 2013 06:48PM
Great lineup! Thanks for posting that DJ Treez! I cant go to both this summer but I wouldnt have been dissapointed if I had chosen ROTR. Rockamovya, Army are two I would love to see this summer.
May 15, 2013 07:52PM
If you look at the website, we have a more updated line-up that will continue to be updated, here is the direct link:
Reggae On The River Website

The line-up is as follows as of now:
Featured Artists Include:
~ Julian Marley & The Uprising Band
~ Morgan Heritage
~ Tarrus Riley & Blak Soil
~ Anthony B
~ J Boog & Hot Rain
~ Natural Black
~ Sierra Leone’s Refugee Allstars
~ Junior Kelly
~ Les Nubians
~ Rockamoyva
~ Blue King Brown
~ Rootz Underground
~ Chronixx & The Zincfence
~ Kabaka Pyramid
~ Nkulee Dube
~ The Meditations featuring Ansel Cridland
~ Prezident Brown
~ Garifuna Collective
~ Toussaint The Liberator w/ Amandla
~ Prestige
~ MC Zulu
~ Army
~ Paula Fuga + Mike Love
~ Reggae Angels
~ Woven Roots
~ Wisdom
~ Stevie Culture
~ Ishi Dube
~ Joseph Isreal
~ Ras Indio
~ Jade Steel
~ Madi Simmons
~ Travis B.
~ Tito Minott
~ Reggae Dub Poet Ras Marcus Benjamin

PLUS - An all-star cast of DJs and Vocalists from the Emerald Triangle and beyond...
~ I & I Vibrations
~ Massive Sound International
~ DJ Stepwise
~ Jah Warrior Shelter Hi-Fi
~ Second Nature Sound
~ Bless Coast Sound
~ Rude Lion
~ One Wise
~ WBLK
~ Res Rasta
~ Guerrilla Takeover
~ Brimstone
~ Dub Cowboy
~ Selecta Green B
...with more artists and DJ's to be announced

I'm really excited to see a lot of the line up, I recently was introduced to Blue Kind Brown and I'm beyond stoked to see them in the flesh. We will have a wonderful line-up for anyone that attends. We all love our classic artists, but lucky for us we will also be able to experience newer artists as well.
May 15, 2013 08:03PM
westafari
For some weird reason ROTR 2013 is not listing the line-up on the website. I went through FB and wrote down the line-up so far. It is OK, but could be way better. Let me knwo if there are any I missed.

They are calling this the "home coming." SNWMF is still KING!!!!!

Tarrus Riley
Julian Marley
Morgan Heritage
Anthony B
J Boog
Prezident Brown
Rootz Underground
Blue King Brown
Sierra Leone’s Refugee All-Stars
Meditations
Tousaint The Liberator
Kabaka Pyramid
Chronixx
Nkulee Dube
Paula Fuga
Modern Reggae Representatives

If you look at the website, we have a more updated line-up that will continue to be updated, here is the direct link:
Reggae On The River Website

The line-up is as follows as of now:
Featured Artists Include:
~ Julian Marley & The Uprising Band
~ Morgan Heritage
~ Tarrus Riley & Blak Soil
~ Anthony B
~ J Boog & Hot Rain
~ Natural Black
~ Sierra Leone’s Refugee Allstars
~ Junior Kelly
~ Les Nubians
~ Rockamoyva
~ Blue King Brown
~ Rootz Underground
~ Chronixx & The Zincfence
~ Kabaka Pyramid
~ Nkulee Dube
~ The Meditations featuring Ansel Cridland
~ Prezident Brown
~ Garifuna Collective
~ Toussaint The Liberator w/ Amandla
~ Prestige
~ MC Zulu
~ Army
~ Paula Fuga + Mike Love
~ Reggae Angels
~ Woven Roots
~ Wisdom
~ Stevie Culture
~ Ishi Dube
~ Joseph Isreal
~ Ras Indio
~ Jade Steel
~ Madi Simmons
~ Travis B.
~ Tito Minott
~ Reggae Dub Poet Ras Marcus Benjamin

PLUS - An all-star cast of DJs and Vocalists from the Emerald Triangle and beyond...
~ I & I Vibrations
~ Massive Sound International
~ DJ Stepwise
~ Jah Warrior Shelter Hi-Fi
~ Second Nature Sound
~ Bless Coast Sound
~ Rude Lion
~ One Wise
~ WBLK
~ Res Rasta
~ Guerrilla Takeover
~ Brimstone
~ Dub Cowboy
~ Selecta Green B
...with more artists and DJ's to be announced

I'm really excited to see a lot of the line up, I recently was introduced to Blue Kind Brown and I'm beyond stoked to see them in the flesh. We will have a wonderful line-up for anyone that attends. We all love our classic artists, but lucky for us we will also be able to experience newer artists as well.
May 16, 2013 05:16PM
I cannot believe Julian Marley is headling Saturday Night. He used to just the opening act for Stephen and Damien.
May 16, 2013 06:19PM
Yes I agree Mr. P. I've always respected ROTR choice of artists and their showtimes, but this one leaves me scratching my head. I count at least 5 performers on that list who should be headlining the premier slot on Saturday night. At the very least it should be Anthony B, he has waaaay more hits than Julian ever will. Same with Junior Kelly. I thought when they 1st announced the line-up that Tarrus would for sure be the top headliner (which usually plays Saturday night). Maybe they'll switch the order on Sat. night at the last minute. It should be... Julian, Natural Black, THEN Anthony B.! That makes much more sense to me. Or maybe they just want to get the After-Party started early, so that it doesn't last all night. I just know it will be a very anti-climatic finish if he has to follow Anthony B, whom I'm sure will be on FIRE!
May 16, 2013 09:16PM

I enjoy Julian's energy onstage. He channels his father very well. He has a tight band, and they like to play.
May 16, 2013 09:20PM
I've never seen him on a big stage as headliner before so I'm actually kind of excited to see the set. Given the reputation the Marley sons have for stage performances, I'm sure he'll come tough. I was just personally surprised to see him as the festival's main headliner. I've been playing his tune with Bugle a lot lately....

[mp3]

[/mp3]
May 17, 2013 03:27PM
I will be taking a nap on the puppet hill during Julian's set. He is going to play 3 of his own songs and 10 of his dads songs. Who wants to bet? Big blunt or a few cold ones.

You can find me at "eye in the sky."
May 18, 2013 04:22PM
My thoughts exactly Reggabe.
May 20, 2013 03:49AM
Just to reiterate my thoughts....Army should be Top 5, if not Top 3 in the lineup.

And for the Julian haters, he can and will hold it down:

May 20, 2013 06:31PM
Well said Jcom! I agree 100%. Just wish i could go to SNWMF and ROTR. I think that you will all be very happy by Julien's show!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2013 06:38PM by rossta8888.
June 11, 2013 04:53AM
Tickets are still on sale. Crazy. This festival and location used to sell out around this time a few years ago. Come on, sell out......

Positive thinking!!!!
June 11, 2013 07:43AM
so the show times schedule will remain the same? please tell us if there's any changes
June 12, 2013 04:57PM
westafari
Tickets are still on sale. Crazy. This festival and location used to sell out around this time a few years ago. Come on, sell out......

Positive thinking!!!!

Hmmm, oh please, don't sell out....ha ha

As of now, we haven't bought our tickets yet as we haven't firmly decided to go.

We do have a campsite reserved at Richardsons Grove State park for the week.

If they do sellout, would I take the long drive(10hrs) up there anyway, with the assumption that I can find a couple tickets...Maybe!

If we couldn't get tickets it would still be great camping in that park for a week, that park is simply awesome and sooo magestic.
June 13, 2013 05:29AM
Wha g'wann wit only 3 day ticket pass sales? Will the promoters be opening up 1 day ticket sales for those of us unable to stay more than 1 day? Interesting, risky...some might say greedy? promotion strategy.
June 13, 2013 07:14PM
They release single day tickets closer to the event I believe
June 13, 2013 07:27PM
Redwood Rebel
They release single day tickets closer to the event I believe

Of course, it they are really being held to 6000 max capacity and you sell 6000 three day tickets, well.......................
June 14, 2013 12:27AM
No one day tickets will go on sale due to camping on site.
This spot (french's camp) has never sold one day tickets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2013 12:32AM by westafari.
June 14, 2013 05:46AM
Never had one day tickets. U could pull something off for Sunday entrance. Junior Kelly is calling I might show up at the last minute 2 buy a ticket at the front gate off a scalper.
June 14, 2013 06:34AM
This is my first ROTR ever. I'm very excited. So much so I'm arriving on Thursday.
June 14, 2013 06:35AM
randomguy2u
Never had one day tickets. U could pull something off for Sunday entrance. Junior Kelly is calling I might show up at the last minute 2 buy a ticket at the front gate off a scalper.

I bought a 1 day Saturday ticket for the 2011 show, but this was when it was @ Benbow. $200 (including ticket fees, parking, etc) is too much for 1 day of music. Sorry, ROTR. I'm so glad to be going to SNWMF. Looks like a better lineup too. Fulljoy.
June 14, 2013 03:12PM
I agree iremon, but the venue of rotr is 50x better than the venue of snwmf. A river running through the festival on a hot summer day. Also a bowl concert area where you can sit on a hill side overlooking everyone and the stage with a perfect vantage point of the stage. If you are 100 feet back at snwmf you can not see a damn thing. Also, no water to walk to.

No brainer who has a better venue IMO. Line-up? That is another story.

See you at both festivals!!!!! 7 days.
June 14, 2013 03:34PM
Since I never went to reggae on the river in the old days this will be my first venture to this venue, and I will be anxious to compare the two venues afterwards....

Love that reggae!
June 14, 2013 03:54PM
Ive been to ROTR 11 times and SNWMF 17 times...The French's camp venue is clearly better but I like the little town of Boonville better then Garberville. Richardson's Grove State Park is bigger and better then Hendy Woods and its within walking distance to the venue, but we love both those parks for festival camping. I think the weather is typically a little warmer at ROTR and of course the river is a big plus.
July 03, 2013 08:21PM
The festival has still not sold out. That is awesome. The smaller the better.
July 03, 2013 09:51PM
I hope it doesn't. I guess my only complaint about SNWMF this year was it wasn't intimate enough for "my" liking. Like I stated in previous posts, I haven't been to SNWMF for sometime so I wasn't expecting that many people, or maybe it seemed like a lot to me.
July 03, 2013 09:54PM
I'm just hoping Chronixx and Anthony B still show up
July 03, 2013 09:59PM
Latest word is that Chronixx should still be there. Fingers crossed.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
July 03, 2013 10:35PM
Right on, thanks for the heads up. I hope you're right. Protoje, Chronixx and Kabaka all in the same summer. Who say reggae dead? We come fi mash it up!
July 04, 2013 03:33AM
Not only are Protoje, Chronixx and Kabaka, Nkulee Dube and Army performing on Friday at Reggae on the River but they are also perfroming Thursday night with DJ's doing track sets. Can't wait!
July 04, 2013 10:24AM
Don't sell out! save me one. Any updates on Schedule......ahem ..Junior kelly's schedule?
July 04, 2013 05:19PM
Do not sleep on Julian Marley. He has had quite the musical growth over the past few years. Imo he is me favorite Marley to see live. While his catalog isn't as impressive as Damian or Stephens, his talent and stage pressence is definatley on par. Only reason I was considering ROTR this year is to see Junior Kelly, don't know if I want to stick around until Sunday afternoon to see him, I was planning on coming home Sunday morning.
July 04, 2013 05:20PM
[www.songkick.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2013 05:22PM by digitalguise.
July 04, 2013 05:33PM
digitalguise
[www.songkick.com]
looks to be quite the conflict in schedual for Mr. Chronixx.
July 04, 2013 05:52PM
No conflict with ROTR. His only appearance will be at ROTR and as said he will be doing 2 performances, Thursday and Friday with lots of time left to head to Germany. Rumor has it that he will be hanging out all weekend at French's Camp before leaving the country.
July 04, 2013 05:57PM

Rumor has it that he will be hanging out all weekend at French's Camp before leaving the country.

While it's entirely possible that he will be performing at ROTR Thursday and Friday (as scheduled) before leaving to make the Sunday night slot at Reggae Jam, this 'rumor' would require that he miss ReggaeJam entirely.....
July 04, 2013 06:41PM
I just received this email from Chronixx's management responding to my inquiry about Chronixx performing at ROTR:

"Chronixx will indeed be performing on Reggae on the River, he will however leave immediately after for Europe to perform on Reggaejam."
July 04, 2013 08:02PM
@mamacali, Protoje was at SN he won' t be at ROTR.
Chronixx will be there and is performing Friday night and then heading back to the airport to fly to Europe for a performance on Sunday there.
If anyone has any more questions about Protoje, Chronixx or Kabaka feel free to shoot me an email at blessedcoast1@gmail.com
July 04, 2013 08:58PM
mamacali
Not only are Chronixx and Kabaka, Nkulee Dube and Army performing on Friday at Reggae on the River but they are also perfroming Thursday night with DJ's doing track sets. Can't wait!

Where did you see, hear, or read about this?
July 04, 2013 09:12PM
jcom
mamacali
Not only are Chronixx and Kabaka, Nkulee Dube and Army performing on Friday at Reggae on the River but they are also perfroming Thursday night with DJ's doing track sets. Can't wait!

Where did you see, hear, or read about this?

Email blast two months ago, and it's on the website.
July 04, 2013 10:54PM
Hold a joy ~~
Those of you who arrive as early-birds and post up at Reggae on the River in time for the Thursday night kick off will be treated to a stage show featuring DJs, sound systems, and a variety of top California-based vocalists.
Additionally, the following special guests will also be presenting track sets on Thursday night- most as a prelude to their full band performances later in the weekend.

MC Zulu

Panamanian born and Chicago bred, MC Zulu pays his respects to the DJ driven Caribbean culture with trademark megaphone in hand and a distinctive blend of electro bass grooves and dancehall vocals.

Chronixx
With multiple chart toppers, Chronixx killed it at this year’s Rebel Salute in his home country of Jamaica and will be making his California debut at ROTR.

Kabaka Pyramid
One of the toughest lyricists coming out of Kingston, Jamaica, Kabaka harnesses the power of hip hop while riding on dancehall and roots reggae rhythms.

Nkulee Dube
Back by popular demand, this daughter of South African reggae legend, Lucky Dube, Nkulee is garnering international attention for her fresh remaking of roots reggae and neo-soul with a distinct African flavor.

Army
Representing the roots reggae renaissance coming out of St. Croix, Army’s simultaneously soothing and invigorating voice springs from a place seeking spiritual renewal and justice for all people.

“Run tune, Selector!” In next week’s eblast we’ll count off the DJ and sound system crews that will nice up the River during the early-arrival kick off and throughout the weekend. Until then…stay blessed!

Love that reggae!
July 04, 2013 11:49PM
Chronixx on friday it is...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2013 10:52PM by dannyroots.
July 05, 2013 04:27AM
Again... Chronixx will be at ROTR. He will not be doing a track show on Thursday he will only be performing with the Zincfence band on Friday night.
July 07, 2013 07:51PM
July 09, 2013 09:28PM
July 09, 2013 09:31PM
BTW, anyone ripping on Julien Marley is going to enjoy themselves. He came out on stage at SNWMF with Damien and Stephen and was my favorite Marley on stage that night. I really wish I could take some more time away from work. ROTR put together a really nice lineup!
July 09, 2013 10:20PM
Friday night is going to be real tuff. Nkulee Dube, Kabaka, Chronixx, J Boog and Tarrus all in a row.....hell yea
July 10, 2013 12:36AM
Yeah, def starting to get excited about this. Nkulee Dube > Kabaka > Chronixx > J Boog > Tarrus. Friday looking nice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2013 12:39AM by DJ Treez.
July 11, 2013 01:52AM
Wow, I guess I was wrong. They will sell one day tickets. Crazy. Looks like it is not seeling out.

Tickets:

Tickets include the option of camping on site and are priced at:

~ $250 - 4-day early arrival ticket. Allows access to festival grounds at 8am on Thursday, August 1, plus an extra evening of DJs and special guests.

~ $190 - 3-day main event ticket. Allows access to the festival grounds at 8am on Friday, August 2.

~ $250 - RV parking. A limited number of additional RV spaces have recently been allotted. These were recently sold out, so get yours now! Please note this only includes your RV space rental, NOT admission to the festival.

Single Day Tickets will also be available at the festival for the following prices:

~ Friday - $75
~ Saturday - $75
~ Sunday - $55

Please Note: Single Day tickets will not be available in advance and will only be available to walk ups on the days of the event at Guest & Media Check In (not Will Call). Single day ticket holders are not permitted to park or camp on site and must either park in one of the offsite lots or ride the shuttle to the event.
July 11, 2013 04:01AM
Speaking of Rockamovya, new thread on that topic started------> here.
July 13, 2013 04:28AM
Zana's tent shall be set up and ready to rock out the entire weekend. This will be my first ROTR ever. I'm quite excited.
July 13, 2013 07:47PM
Nice Zana. Bring a bunch of shade. There are no trees on the rocks.
July 17, 2013 05:22AM
It looks like the Beach and Bus reggae party is coming back in full effect. The Buffalo Soldiers (Buffalo and Special busses) are coming back after 6 long years away. Another great addition to another epic year.

Can't wait!!!
July 17, 2013 10:33PM
Friday is packed what a banging start. Followed by an early start Saturday morning with prez brown and meditiations. Early finish with Morgan Heritage at 6:30.....I hope there is a bit more going on afterwards.
July 18, 2013 05:53AM
Random, I think that we will all be pretty exhausted by 9 pm on Sunday. Ha ha.
July 18, 2013 08:29PM
Anyone have any updates on Anthony B's situation? I know it was discussed above but that was a while ago. I've seen him too many times to count but I'd still be pretty disappointed if he didn't make it this year.
July 22, 2013 09:03PM
Does anyone know if Zincfence will be backing Kabaka as well as Chronixx? Any info is appreciated...Thanks
July 22, 2013 09:43PM
I think i read that in the band notes, Zincfence backing both of them.

Love that reggae!
July 22, 2013 10:54PM
Awesome, I was hoping so. Thanks nomo
July 23, 2013 03:01PM
Your right nomo, both Kabaka & Chronixx will be with the Zincfence band.
July 24, 2013 04:14AM
9 more days....
July 26, 2013 01:11AM
Friday is just non-stop starting with army at 1......the emphasis has surely shifted to friday.....it used to be lighter lineups on friday or alternative sounds like ben harper or spearhead and run later on sunday...don't burnout the first day.....
July 26, 2013 02:00AM
Ya i don't want to miss Army or Toussaint, or Nkulee, not sure if i'm going to make it past Jboog though, not my favorite, to see Tarrus, who i find good but not essential. Saturday i'm kind of in for the duration and we'll see how long i last sunday. Thing is there are 21 reggae acts and 3 world , loosely categorized, which is actually a lot fewer acts than at SNWMF, and this is three whole days. So either they are going to get a lot more time than the hour, hour and a quarter that artists got at snwmf or it's going to be fairly relaxed. It looks like Anthony B gets and hour and a half or so, that would be cool to see nice long sets.

What a good deal SNWMF was!

Love that reggae!
July 26, 2013 05:26AM
Nomo-
I advise you check out Chronixx, a hot new artist on the rise. Natural Black/Anthony B back to back on Saturday should be well nice. Rockamovya is supposed to be pretty good and I look forward to checking them out. But my biggest anticipation is for Junior Kelly, whom I have been waiting a loooooong time to see!
July 26, 2013 06:33AM
For me, I gotta be in and catching Nkulee Dube's set, the run of Nkulee Dube, Kabaka, Chronixx, J Boog, Tarrus is the bees knees as far as I am concerned. Would not miss Kabaka or Chronixx set for the world, but I would not sleep on Tarrus's set either and I can guarantee Nkulee will be worth checking her set. It is gonna be a fun weekend.

July 26, 2013 10:57AM
Nkulee was fantastic at Ashkenaz last week.

Love that reggae!
July 26, 2013 12:07PM

Love that reggae!
July 26, 2013 04:49PM
You and I are on the same page DJ Treez. Posting in the bowl from Nkulee thru Tarrus. Saturday morning gonna start off real nice with the Prez and the Meditations back to back, then end nice with Natural Black, Anthony B and I'm interested to see if Julian brings the heat.

Junior Kelly is the highlight sunday without a doubt
July 26, 2013 05:23PM
Friday is HUGE! The whole day from Woven Roots to Tarrus Riley and the Blak Soil Band (Hopefully including Dean Fraiser) gwan non stop, posted in the old bowl. Then a more relaxed pace Saturday and Sunday although still full of amazing artists. Julian has been growin on me a bit more as I've researched some of his newer material. Finally get to see Natural Black after all these years, unfortunately after he cut his locks tho. Big Up Anthony B everytime, my all time favorite performance of my life was Anthony B at the 20th anniversary ROTR in 2003, he burned the place down. Finally get to see Junior Kelly after all these years, remember first bumping "Love So Nice" in like 2002. Couldn't be a better finish than the recently reunited Morgan Heritage, Big up Peetah and Gramps and the rest. See you all there.
July 26, 2013 06:00PM
Press release from the Humboldt County Department of Health and Human Services:

Officials with the Humboldt County Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) are warning recreational users of the South Fork Eel, Van Duzen, Klamath and Mattole rivers, Big Lagoon, Freshwater Lagoon and all other freshwater bodies to avoid contact with algae this summer.

Low flows along the South Fork of the Eel River as well as the Van Duzen, coupled with sustained high temperatures in the inland areas, have created the ideal conditions for rapid blooming of blue-green algae.

DHHS is aware of 11 dog deaths that may have been caused by blue-green algae poisoning since 2001. The dogs died shortly after swimming in Big Lagoon, the South Fork Eel River and the Van Duzen River.

A nerve toxin associated with blue-green algae was found in the stomachs of the dogs that died on the South Fork Eel River in 2002. The same toxin was found in water samples from the South Fork Eel and Van Duzen rivers in 2009 just after two dogs died. This poison is the most likely cause of the dog deaths on these rivers. Dogs are more vulnerable than people because they may swallow the toxin when they lick their fur. The onset of symptoms can be rapid; dogs have died within 30 minutes to one hour after leaving the water.

Blue-green algae blooms that produce a liver toxin have been documented in Klamath River reservoirs and the Klamath River this year. The current status of this river may be found at the Klamath Basin Monitoring Program website: http://www.kbmp.net/blue-green-algae-tracker.

Blue-green algae can be present in any freshwater body. It looks like green, blue-green, white or brown scum, foam or mats floating on the water. Usually, it does not affect animals or people. However, warm water and abundant nutrients can cause blue-green algae to grow more rapidly than usual. These floating algal masses, or “blooms,” can produce natural toxins that are very potent. Dogs and children are most likely to be affected because of their smaller body size and tendency to stay in the water for longer periods.

Potential symptoms in dogs following exposure to blue-green algae toxins can include lethargy, difficulty breathing, salivation, excessive urination, vomiting, diarrhea or convulsions. People can experience eye irritation, skin rash, mouth ulcers, vomiting, diarrhea and cold- or flu-like symptoms.

DHHS officials recommend the following guidelines for recreational users of all freshwater areas in Humboldt County:

* Keep children, pets and livestock from swimming in or drinking water containing algal scums or mats.

* Adults should also avoid wading and swimming in water containing algal blooms. Try not to swallow or inhale water spray in an algal bloom area.

* If no algal scums or mats are visible, you should still carefully watch young children and warn them not to swallow any water.

* Fish should be consumed only after removing the guts and liver and rinsing fillets in tap water.

* Never drink, cook with or wash dishes with water from rivers, streams or lakes.

* Get medical attention immediately if you think that you, your pet or livestock might have been poisoned by blue-green algae toxins. Be sure to tell the doctor about possible contact with blue-green algae.

Human activities can have a big effect on nutrient and water flows in rivers, streams or lakes. Phosphorous and nitrogen found in fertilizers, animal waste and human waste can stimulate blooms. Excessive water diversions can increase water temperatures and reduce flows. People can take the following measures to prevent algal blooms in local waters:

* Be very conservative with the use of water, fertilizers and pesticides on your lawn, garden or agricultural operation.

* Recycle any “spent” soil that has been used for intensive growing by tilling it back into gardens, or protect it from rainfall to avoid nutrient runoff.

* Plant or maintain native plants around banks. These plants help filter water and don't require fertilizers.

* Pump and maintain your septic system every three to four years.

* Prevent surface water runoff from agricultural and livestock areas.

* Prevent erosion around construction and logging operations.

For more information, contact the DHHS Division of Environmental Health at 707-445-6215 or 1-800-963-9241. People may report unusual blooms or conditions, including photographs, to Environmental Health by emailing envhealth@co.humboldt.ca.us. The California Department of Public Health website also has more details at http://www.cdph.ca.gov/healthinfo/environhealth/water/Pages/bluegreenalgae.aspx
July 26, 2013 06:15PM
Stay away from alge and don't drink the river water. Check!!!!
July 26, 2013 06:20PM
Don't even go in the water!

Love that reggae!
July 27, 2013 12:35AM
Not in a million years nomo. I will always swim. Yeaaa.
July 30, 2013 02:47AM
Dip dem three times in the water!...It's funny this thread started out complaining about a weak lineup...Now the Lineup looking strong as can Be ......Friday Marathon.....NATURAL BLACK FINALLY.....And I think one of the top 2 Artists in Reggae, JUNIOR KELLY.....been through a few heavy smoke tests....SNWMF and Renegade at Quincy where incoming traffic was detoured to a different route and Anthony B burned it up for super-long set...Let the winds blow our way.
July 30, 2013 04:35AM
I agree random. It looked bleak, and now it turning out to look off the hook.
July 30, 2013 05:48AM
see yall there!

Respect Same Way
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login