Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Please put Mr. Alpha Blondy as TOP billing

Posted by jcom 
Please put Mr. Alpha Blondy as TOP billing
March 20, 2013 05:39AM
I saw the first SNWMF at a local grocery store today and couldn't help but shake my head a little to see Damian Marley listed above Alpha Blondy. Much love for Damian and the brothers....but please...Alpha Blondy has done so so much for reggae and world music over many, many decades. Please give this saint of a man the respect he deserves and put him TTT (TO THE TOP!). Damian will not feel slighted...I guarantee it...he has the love and respect...I guarantee.

Some on this board may not be quite as familiar with him. But do yourself a favor and listen to and research the music and accomplishments of this man. He has played for audiences of over 300,000 in Africa. For starters I recommend listening to the albums "Apartheid is Nazism", "Jerusalem", and "The Prophets". "Cocody Rock" is well known, but some of the songs on this album are better than the title track IMO...particularly "Super Powers" and "Interplanetary Revolution".

What an honor to have him at the 20th. Props to all those who are bringing this man to the lovely 707. What a night it will be to see him again and what a festival to look forward to!

Bless!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 05:50AM by jcom.
Re: Please put Mr. Alpha Blondy as TOP billing
March 20, 2013 05:45AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2013 05:53AM by jcom.
March 20, 2013 02:29PM
Simmer down now. It's already been stated somewhere on the board that alpha will headline, I believe Sunday night? He is great, I have seen him a few times as well. He is listed 2nd on the home page. Damian will sell WAY more tickets..

Will be an epic festival!
March 20, 2013 02:42PM
All I know is that I am really excited for Alpha Blondy, Artists that I have really wanted to see over the last few years has been Burning Spear, Jimmy Cliff, Alpha Blondy, Max Romeo and The Congo's. Last year I had the pleasure of seeing Burning Spear in Santa Rosa, Jimmy Cliff at the Portland Zoo and this Summer will finally get to see Alpha Blondy and Max Romeo. The way things have been going The Congo's could be around next summer! smiling smiley
March 20, 2013 03:00PM
Alpha is more popular around the world. Jr gong is more popular in America. Said. Done.
March 20, 2013 03:23PM
It may be called Sierra Nevada World Music Festival but it is a REGGAE festival first and foremost.
March 20, 2013 06:12PM
remember it all depends on who's ears you're hearing it thru....

i personally think you could list leroy sibbles, marcia griffiths, max romeo, or u-roy as the headliner, if we are going to determine that slot by what they have done for reggae music.... but i also understand that doing that will not sell as many tickets as listing damian first...

luckily they both DM and AB get to headline their own night...

gotta love snwmf.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
March 20, 2013 07:03PM
"Cocody Rock" is well known, but some of the songs on this album are better than the title track IMO...particularly "Super Powers" and "Interplanetary Revolution".

'Tere' is, by a smidge, the best song on Cocody Rock.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
AJ
March 20, 2013 08:23PM
HiGrade1

i personally think you could list leroy sibbles, marcia griffiths, max romeo, or u-roy as the headliner, if we are going to determine that slot by what they have done for reggae music.... gotta love snwmf.

thumbs up
and Cornell Campbell...
March 20, 2013 11:01PM
Not a big Marley Family fan, except for Ziggy and his work with children and family vibes, but really looking forward to Alpha Blondy and the rest of the line-up...man, good stuff!
March 21, 2013 02:29PM
I am with you J 72, Ziggy is the best. Love his free spirit and vibes. I would like to see more of him in Oregon.
March 22, 2013 01:50PM
My 2 cents:

No question Damian Marley has the greatest marquee appeal for selling tixs.

No question seeing Alpha Blondy is quite auspicious for this festival audience, and then some.
Personally, I've been waiting a looong time to check his show live.

I will say this about the above Marley: a show with him, Stephen, Ky-mani & Ziggy was one I caught a few years back in JA.

BY FAR, the Jamaican audience responded to Damian over the other siblings. His performance was top-notch, and he particularly overshadowed Ziggy, who was appearing on the island for the first time in nearly 10 years, & afforded a solo slot, with the other brothers joining him later onstage for a solid high power set.

And for what it's worth, Ziggy Marley's set last May in New Orleans for Jazz Fest was not only the most lackluster hour of reggae I'd seen in quite a while, it was the most lack-luster & phoned-in performance I saw at the festival, by far.
March 22, 2013 02:16PM
I don't go to many live performances anymore, so my opinions are based on his personality and his works- his commitment to children and family through his music and children's book, his appearances on children's shows, etc. draw me to him, as well as his smile and free, non-dogmatic spirit.

Peace
March 22, 2013 04:19PM
THe last time I saw Ziggy Marley was here in Bend, OR two summers ago. It was such an amazing set. The vibes were amazing, he is always smiling and bringing positive energy. His set list was amazing and he played for 2 plus hours. THe venue was full of familys and it was so much fun to see and be a part of such a great and wonderful performance. Big up to Ziggy Marley.
March 24, 2013 11:01PM
papaken
"Cocody Rock" is well known, but some of the songs on this album are better than the title track IMO...particularly "Super Powers" and "Interplanetary Revolution".

'Tere' is, by a smidge, the best song on Cocody Rock.

Toche...I almost added "Tere" to the list. Blessedy smooth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login