Rastafari March in memory of Coral Gardens Incident

Posted by Sista Irie 
Rastafari March in memory of Coral Gardens Incident
March 25, 2013 02:41PM
Re: Rastafari March in memory of Coral Gardens Incident
March 25, 2013 02:46PM
March 25, 2013 08:07PM
Oh how I wish I could be there for this real Rasta gathering, these are the kinda vibes I love! And what a great lineup - Tarrus, Kulcha 'Naki' Knox, Mikey General, Ifrica, Chezidek, Cen'c Love, Chronixx, Jah9, Iba Mahr, Warrior King, Bushman.........
March 26, 2013 05:01AM
If I had known about this earlier, I would have definitely gone. It's funny, I met a Ras at the private government screening for Songs of Redemption who said he was the Executive Director of the Ethiopian Millineum Council. He wanted my help in photographing some upcoming projects. He called me after I returned to the US and we talked about next steps. He never once mentioned this March and now I am wondering if he truly is a representative for the Council or just a member.
March 26, 2013 08:11AM
This seems like an awesome event! Having played college soccer here in the states, I would love to see the Iritikal Kush Vs the Rastafari All Stars in the Football match. Then move on to some great music! Sounds like my kinda day! As Haile Bless said, this lineup is amazing. Nuff great artists on the set list.
March 27, 2013 04:04AM
It strikes me that this "apology" comes 50 years too late, now that all the guilty parties are long dead and therefore absolved of guilt.

Reel
March 27, 2013 05:22AM
Not all are dead. Prince Elijah Williams (Book of Memory) and some members of his generation are still around. However, your point is well taken. I am not sorry to see the apology come even late as an open admission to the injustices incurred may (may is operative) set a precedence for the future. One can only hope.

Michael Kuelker who co-authored Book of Memory may be able to give us more background on who is still alive from that era.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 05:27AM by Sista Irie.
March 27, 2013 06:02AM
I am not referring to the likes of Prince Elijah Williams but rather the police and politicians who engineered this genocide.

Reel
March 27, 2013 08:27AM
The man
It strikes me that this "apology" comes 50 years too late, now that all the guilty parties are long dead and therefore absolved of guilt.

Reel

I was hesitant to post the article since I, too, thought "Oh now you decide to apologize".....but I wanted to get some of the back story on this thread.
March 27, 2013 11:45AM
Thanks for the clarification, Reel. Understood.

[www.jamaicaobserver.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 11:46AM by Sista Irie.
March 29, 2013 06:26AM
There was a second march that took place yesterday orchestrated by Muta. it was in memory of Tivoli Gardens violence from 2010. It was well attended. No stageshow, just speeches much like we experienced in the seventies. Muta's point is that it is not just Rasta violated any more.

[jamaica-gleaner.com]
March 29, 2013 09:06AM
I am 100% with Jah Reel on this one, its only the greedy government seeing $ in rasta nowadays that makes them even recognize these sort of tragedies. Back in the day when it was relevent they didn't care or worse set it up. F*ck the JA government...they are what amount to war criminals and participating in these sort of demonstrations just condones the past behaviour. Where are the serious reparations? And how come it took until the principals were dead for this "praise and recognition" to come about. Real rasta don't care about what the government says.

ok
fred
March 29, 2013 09:23AM
Yes there are still some patriarchs & matriarchs who were downpressed in the Incident who are still with us. One of the themes of the commemorations I have attended is recognition not only of the past atrocities but of the present needs of these rapidly aging elders.

The documentary film Bad Friday is of recent vintage (2011) with interviews with eyewitnesses & survivors. They're still here, some of them. I agree, official apologies could have come much sooner ... but I am sure one of the official concerns has been, "On whose behalf are we apologizing?" Apologies, fine. But what about liability and reparations, rightly ask the Rastas.

E-book people might also want to look at a work by Selbourne Reid, a retired policeman who was in the JCF in '63 and was a first responder to the initial clash. One of the most devastating details raised by Reid is his observation that police in training used images of a beards-man for target practice. (He appears in Bad Friday to render the same memory.) Mr. Reid is a born-again Christian, so his narrative takes some turns in that direction, but his memories of Coral Gardens '63 are an important component of the formal record.
March 29, 2013 10:04AM
Michael, how do we find the writings by Mr. Reid?

All of this makes me think we need a reggae conference and workshop in the USA to share and align a reggae movement.
March 29, 2013 11:51AM
Jah Lewis-nice tune at Jack Rubys of course. One of Earth Last Messengers winking smiley This lineup is huge.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/29/2013 12:42PM by papaken.
March 29, 2013 12:12PM
We DO need a reggae conference. I know such a venture is a huge undertaking, but it would be great for so many reasons.

I found Selbourne Reid's e-book by doing a search for "Rasta" in iTunes books. There are some odd features to the book, including a clunky title (1963 Rastafarian’s Rebellion Coral Gardens Montego Bay Jamaica) and poorly selected stock photos on the cover ... But I just now did a keyword search and see his book available in paperback. New cover art -- a personal pic where Mr Reid is doing his best TD Jakes.
March 29, 2013 03:56PM
Michael, any chance BOOK OF MEMORY will come back into publication?
March 30, 2013 06:28AM
yES, i NEED a copy of BOOK OF MEMORY as well

Now I'm all alone..
March 30, 2013 06:49AM
here's 1 copy
[www.abebooks.com]
March 30, 2013 08:07AM
Book of Memory is being prepared for republication, yes! The new edition will have expanded photos, revised endnotes and amped-up Rasta/patois glossary. Thanks for asking!
March 30, 2013 08:46AM
I am 100% with Jah Reel on this one, its only the greedy government seeing $ in rasta nowadays that makes them even recognize these sort of tragedies. Back in the day when it was relevent they didn't care or worse set it up. F*ck the JA government...they are what amount to war criminals and participating in these sort of demonstrations just condones the past behaviour. Where are the serious reparations? And how come it took until the principals were dead for this "praise and recognition" to come about. Real rasta don't care about what the government says

Ok_fred speakin' truth inna little way different handle here lately!

Now I'm all alone..
March 30, 2013 07:10PM
March 31, 2013 02:03PM
Passed through this show briefly last night. Caught a few artists but not many. One that I found more impressive than I thought I would was Chronixx and his band. Though there's still room for improvement from his as a performer - his band was incredibly on point
April 01, 2013 04:10AM
April 13, 2013 03:05PM

Observer
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login