Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shakaman & Haile Maskel ?

Posted by AJ 
AJ
Shakaman & Haile Maskel ?
March 27, 2013 06:16AM
Back in the early-mid 1980's I used to see solo sets by these two (plus the Rastafarians) around So. Cal. Great live shows everytime. Do they still do solo shows?
These two artists would be a big plus to SNWMF this year.
I'm putting together a list of the concerts I've gone to since 1970. So I'm digging up some great musical memories. Would love to see these two on the Village Stage Friday night. smiling smiley
Re: Shakaman & Haile Maskel ?
March 27, 2013 06:30AM
Maybe with Herb Daly? Roots Tonic? I-Dwell Playas?

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/27/2013 06:53AM by papaken.
March 27, 2013 07:45AM

Love that reggae!
March 27, 2013 10:44AM
AJ
I'm putting together a list of the concerts I've gone to since 1970. So I'm digging up some great musical memories.

I'd be interested in seeing that list. I'm sure that I will have been to many of those. Not sure where your getting the info to compile such a list, did you keep notes? ha ha

No doubt, I've forgotten more concerts then I can recall. Some more memorable then others but I have no clue about the exact dates.

I remember going to a lot of concerts/shows where only a handful of people showed up. Once we drove all the way to Palm Springs and got a room to see Dennis Brown. His bus showed up but only about 12 fans showed so they cancelled the show.

The first reggae festival I can recall was one of the first Bob Marley Day shows at McArthur Park in downtown LA. That must have been about early-80's as I can recall bringing our second son who was only about 6 years old at the time.

The Music Machine on Pico Blvd had some of the best shows, Johnny Clark, Joe Higgs, Pablo Moses, Augustus Pablo just to mention a few that come to mind. We must have been to many of the same shows there.

And then there was Shabba Ranks at the Del Mar Race Track near San Diego during Spring Break, still got the T-shirt from that one. I think I'll wear it to SNWMF this year although my wife might object since its just a little more then worn.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2013 01:02PM by Rhythmwize.
March 27, 2013 11:46AM
Same here AJ, I'd like to see that list as well! I have a copy of one of those Music Machine shows of Johnny Clarke from the 80's, i believe.

Now I'm all alone..
March 27, 2013 01:12PM
I'd have to say, even more than I did back then, that the combination of Maskel on bass and Shaka on drums was the wikkedest reggae riddim section California reggae has known. When the 'farians reunited for the MBRF in '10, I marveled at how epic those two were both instrumentally and vocally, and how much I must've taken their talents for granted in the early '80s. They've both released multiple albums in the interim, some of them excellent. Shaka led a popular LA club/backing band called Selector's Choice for some time and was most recently the drummer for Boom Shaka after Wadi Gad left. I've tried to get the 'farians a SNWMF slot, but couldn't find a financial happy medium. Too late for this year, but hopefully we'll keep trying.
Here's a photo (sent to me by David Coe, who shot it) of the 'farians gitsy from '82 @ the Roxy in LA. I can truthfully say, I was SMOKIN' on guitar that night!
AJ
March 27, 2013 02:14PM
Rhythmwize & Papaken ~ I'm still working on the list. It has been a work in process for almost a year now. Here's how I'm putting it together, by memory, concert flyers, ticket stubs & google. It has not only reggae, but rock, blues, world, country, etc........ Give me a few weeks & I'll try to finish the reggae part of the list. I am honored that you want to see it.

Stamina! ~ Thanks for the update. Well I probably saw you with the Rastafarians @ the Hollywood Palladuim fall/winter of 1982 for the L.A. Reggae Festival with the Mighty Diamonds, Eek A Mouse & Blue Riddim. What a smokin' show that was........irie!
March 27, 2013 04:03PM
Would be GREAT to see the Rastafarians at SNWMF.
March 28, 2013 07:58AM
Wow, Blue Riddim and the Rastafarians. Those are two bands I'd like to see even a reasonable facsimile of today.

Now I'm all alone..
March 28, 2013 10:19PM
Yes, saw Maskel open for U-Roy at the Music Mahine in the 80's. Great show.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login