AJ
Toots last night in St. Louis
April 04, 2013 09:00AM
Mr. Hibbert once again delivered an outstanding performance to a packed house. The show was at a fairly new (3-4 years?) venue called "The Old Rock House". Nice staff and a good sound. Some of the songs were classic like "Pressure Drop", "Sweet & Dandy", "Monkey Man", "Country Road" & the encore "56-46 That's My Number". The crowd was skanking for 2 + hours.
At age 68 he's (imo) still on top of his game. Sweet, sweet show.
Good to see Michael Kuelker & Reggie, also in the house Papa Ray.
A new St. Louis reggae band "Unifyah" did a nice warm-up set.
Tonight Toots is in Chicago @ "The House Of Blues". Let's see, that is about a 5 hour drive from St. Louis ...... would be nice two nights of Toots!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 10:33AM by AJ.
Re: Toots last night in St. Louis
April 04, 2013 09:20AM
Last time I saw Toots outside of a festival was at Atlanta's Tabernacle, 2001- a triple bill with Andrew Tosh and Kymani Marley. Toots was great in the club setting.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
AJ
April 04, 2013 09:47AM
One of the pluses last night was that Toots came on at 9:15. We were home by midnight.
Another plus were the band & back-up singers ~ super reggae irie!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2013 10:34AM by AJ.
April 04, 2013 07:26PM
YES, AN AMAZING SHOW, STARTING WITH IT NOT BEING :ON REGGAE TIME.!! grinning smiley

And the vast majority of the house of 500 had not been born when Mr. Hibbert played St Louis the first time, in '79.

Toots is still one of the greatest soul vocalists on the planet.
AJ
April 05, 2013 06:41AM
papaken
Last time I saw Toots outside of a festival was at Atlanta's Tabernacle, 2001- a triple bill with Andrew Tosh and Kymani Marley. Toots was great in the club setting.

papaken ~ Wasn't Steel Pulse or Maxi Priest also on that same bill from 2001? We had the same tour come through St. Louis, but it was at an outside venue on a nice summer night.
April 05, 2013 08:21AM
Steel Pulse might've joined that tour at some point, but neither they nor Maxi was in hot lanta that night-believe it was February or early March. I was in town because of the annual Homebuilders trade show that year.

That was the year I ventured down to Aba Shaka's record shop there in East Atlanta and made my "Natti Love Joys" -'Abel and Allen'- 'Marla and Jah T' - "Love Joys' -Bullwackies-Tucson-New York-Atlanta connect the dots discovery. It was quite a weekend.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2013 08:22AM by papaken.
April 05, 2013 05:51PM
May 18th in Richmond, VA for FREE!

[www.dominionriverrock.com]
May 19, 2013 05:46AM
Heard reports that last night's free Toots show in Richmond abruptly ended when someone threw an empty liquor bottle toward the stage and struck Toots on the head, creating a bloody gash and enjoying the irie moments!

pathetic!
AJ
May 19, 2013 08:41AM
If the report is ture, then that is mighty sad.
All the best to Mr. Hibbert & crew and the reggae fans in & around Richmond, VA.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2013 09:51AM by AJ.
May 19, 2013 09:40AM
Facebook is asking for anyone with video if the incident to please turn it in. When I saw that I came here expecting to read what full happened. Hopefully he is OK.
May 19, 2013 10:08AM
Here are some excerpts from an article:

Hibbert received a bloody forehead laceration during the incident about 10:15 p.m., and the concert was stopped 15 minutes early.

Hibbert was treated at VCU Medical Center and released about 1 a.m.

"He was in good spirits despite the traumatic event," Berry said. "He expressed his regret that the concert had to be curtailed."

Original Source
May 19, 2013 10:09AM
Last time saw Toots and The Maytals was at SNWMF 2011----nothing short of amazing!
Just saw the video too. That kind of crowd behavior is awful.
Let's hope Toots Hibbert will be ok.
Peace,
Bagga.......
May 19, 2013 06:03PM
From SNWMF

May 19, 2013 11:55PM
in b4 the above and below pic find themselves in a mash up..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login