Honest question about Groundation?
April 05, 2013 08:56PM
Would they be better by replacing the Professor? I just can't listen to an album with his voice. A few songs, yes. An album? No.
Re: Honest question about Groundation?
April 05, 2013 09:18PM
akee123
Would they be better by replacing the Professor? I just can't listen to an album with his voice. A few songs, yes. An album? No.

NO WAY, HARRISON IS GROUNDATION. WITHOUT HARRISON THERE IS NO GROUNDATION.
April 05, 2013 09:29PM
Not precisely. Groundation is Harrison, Marcus, and Ryan.
April 05, 2013 09:37PM
Yes Walter you are correct, Harrison was the one who had Marcus and Ryan in his class at Sonoma State and their friendship led to them starting the band. Harrison was the one teaching roots and culture at Sonoma State University not Ryan or Marcus. But I agree with you that those are the original 3. The band without Ryan or Marcus would not be what it is today. Their show in Portland recently was wickid.

Miss living in Sonoma County where I used to catch them all the time. Harrison is still a good freind though. Just gets to me when people say that. I dont think they take the time to look at Harrison and what he stands for and how much he means to Reggae music. It is a respect thing.
April 05, 2013 10:04PM
I don't think akee123 was questioning the man's morals or knowledge, just saying he doesn't like the man's voice....
April 05, 2013 10:19PM
they kinda remind me of Midnite. it's really well crafted quality music. but it just doesn't resonate with me....
but that being said, i don't think Groundation would benefit in any way by getting rid of Harrison on vocals....
i think that's what makes the band work so well, the chemistry amongst them that produces that sound....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
April 05, 2013 11:40PM
I think Groundation is amazing with their sound they produce. Just wondering if this was a case of a choosing the wrong guy to sing. Nothing against him concerning his creativity, message, talent...it's just the voice.
April 06, 2013 12:18AM
I kinda agree with akee. I tried giving Groundation a listen a few years ago, but just couldn't get used to the singer's voice. That and I don't like American reggae much. But I do appreciate their musicianship and spiritual messages, and I will check them out for the 1st time this year at SNWMF. But HiGrade, Midnite is on a whole different level and there is no comparison...
April 06, 2013 12:37AM
Youre right reggaebe... Id much prefer to hear Groundation than midnite anyday!

Respect Same Way
April 06, 2013 12:40AM
I never thought about it before but the midnite vs Groundation argument is a very good one... both exceptionally talented musicians that have amazing chemistry, but both have a specific style that is very easy to have strong feelings about (whether good or bad)

Respect Same Way
April 06, 2013 01:34AM
akee123
I think Groundation is amazing with their sound they produce. Just wondering if this was a case of a choosing the wrong guy to sing. Nothing against him concerning his creativity, message, talent...it's just the voice.

I completely agree with you. I love their music (minus the singing) but can't listen to an entire song due to his voice quality rubbing on my nerves.
There are other singers I don't care for due to their whiny sounding voices. Its not a matter of quality of music or message, just personal taste on how their voices resonate with the listener.
April 06, 2013 01:55AM
HiGrade1
they kinda remind me of Midnite. it's really well crafted quality music. but it just doesn't resonate with me....

Indeed.
April 06, 2013 03:46AM
I just spoke to someone who went to school with Harrison. I stand corrected, sounds like a real genuine cat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2013 04:21PM by strikkly.
April 06, 2013 05:03AM
IMO Groundation and Midnite are totally different items. While both may have their foundation in roots music, Groundation has a far more 'sophisticated' sound to them. Groundation delves into jazz and dub music and their tunes seem to be, for lack of a better description, very sophisticated and 'developed'. I don't hear this in Midnite's music at all. Instead, their sound is about as naked and raw as it comes.

I'm curious about those of you who find Harrison's vocals to grate on them after a while. Do you have a similar feeling regarding Cedric 'Congos' Myton's vocals? I only ask because I find great similarities in both their vocal styles. And, for what it's worth, the songs sung in English by Danakil's vocalist (Balik) reminds me of........ Harrison Stafford.

And Groundation is one of the ONLY bands these days that put out what I would call 'thematic' albums. Most artist's albums are just songs strung together (often just a compilation of sinlges) but albums like Groundation's Hebron Gate reminds me of a book. Each song constitutes a separate chapter, the chapters seem to reflect on each other and are bound together to form an album......
April 06, 2013 05:20AM
I can't think of a single similarity with Mr. Myton, but I'd love to hear your ideas Daniel. Your spot on about the Danakil. Another collage of strained Marleyisms.
April 06, 2013 08:38AM
strikkly
This band is Pure half rate imitation of midnite which is already what some have called "an amazing cure for insomnia".

Waaaaaaaaaay out there on this one and you know I respect you well Strikkly. I've never heard Harrison chat like Vaughn. The only similarity might be that they both tend to play at a slow tempo on may of their songs. Jussayin. I never really understand the comparisons between these two groups
April 06, 2013 10:18AM
strikkly
This band is Pure half rate imitation of midnite which is already what some have called "an amazing cure for insomnia".

Statements like this one is why the phrase "Everybody has a right to their own opinion" was created.

I vehemently disagree. For me, Groundation and Midnite have almost no similarities. I agree with Daniel on this - Groundation's music is multi-layered, whereas Midnite's music stripped down to its essential elements. Groundation's music is more thematic; whereas Midnite's music is mystical.
April 06, 2013 11:51AM
in my opinion, the lead singers voice makes Groundation the band it is....Otherwise they r just another backing band..
April 06, 2013 11:54AM
and yes some of the congos high pitch singing gets to me....although I still like them and most of their songs
April 06, 2013 12:43PM
I think higrade just made comparison in regards to bands and peopl liking them or not, not the actual style.
April 06, 2013 01:13PM
yes i think so too... People (particualrly in this phorum) etither love or hate Midnite and Groundation.....I fu don't like the lead singers voice of groundation, u don't like groundation....I think they r unique......I think Midnite is in a categorry of it's own in lyrical content, may not be my favorite live.....but top of the rooots list
April 06, 2013 01:48PM
there's some voices in reggae that my ear doesn't love like jack radics & ghost
so i simply dont listen to them much. if people dont care for harrison's voice
why not just not listen? it seems like tens of thousands of people in south america, europe and elsewhere
love it and that irks the haters because it's incomprehensible that if YOU dont like it how can others?
not everyone's taste is yours and why isn't that ok? why do we have to constantly have to
repost this same thread? are you trying to win people over to the i hate the voice campaign?
diff strokes for diff folks. groundation and midnite is not everyones cuppa. we got it.
let's not keep floggin this one...
a
April 06, 2013 02:04PM

Yeah, that about sums it up for me too

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
April 06, 2013 02:51PM
Daniel
I'm curious about those of you who find Harrison's vocals to grate on them after a while. Do you have a similar feeling regarding Cedric 'Congos' Myton's vocals?

Honestly, I think the Congos are incredibly overrated. There's only so much of Cedric's falsetto one can take before cringing at the sound
April 06, 2013 04:13PM
The Congos are great band, I couldn't listen to the Groundation though.
April 06, 2013 04:24PM
I thought zoki was Harrison's Baltic nickname. smoking smiley
April 06, 2013 05:46PM
I am with ras James on this. Heart of the congos has a place in the pantheon of great reggae albums, and i've loved seeing them perform,but Cedric mynton's falsetto renders most of their tunes unlistenable after a while. I've bought soo much of their music, and it sits quietly on the shelf. Likewise with groundation (except i dont buy much of their music). I thought they were great live the one time I saw them in angels camp (context is sometimes everything) but the lead vocals on recordings have me reaching for other tunes as soon as the second Harrison vocal track strikes up.
Aloha
April 06, 2013 06:05PM
yes J72, that is the comparison i was making. not saying they sound alike or are similar in any way except that they both produce good music, even if it doesn't resonate with everyone.....

April 06, 2013 07:03PM
"Youre right reggaebe... Id much prefer to hear Groundation than midnite anyday!"

wow. it's funny how people's musical taste can differ so much. Groundation can't touch Midnite's vibe in my book. I can't even listen to Groundation, whereas I'm always clammoring to hear Midnite's new tunes.

But the similarity I do see with these bands, and is where I disagree with Daniel, is that BOTH bands have very intricate layers to their sound. While Groundation does have a more jazzy-oriented background with different layers, I think Midnite does too, especially their more recent releases and the I-Grade productions. It's one of the things i like about Midnite, that with each listen you notice new layers to their sound...

Ok, enough with this dead horse!
April 06, 2013 07:22PM
To me, Midnite's 'intricacies' are contained in the lyrics and message and not the music itself.....
April 06, 2013 07:25PM
Speaking of voices Leroy Sibbles and Cornel Campbell are on this set.
April 06, 2013 07:30PM
I've noticed one link between the two bands - both of their fan bases seem to have a sizable contingent of former and current fans of the Grateful Dead.
April 06, 2013 07:52PM
You may have something there, Brother Daly.
April 06, 2013 08:49PM
Very interesting thread, however the topic of groundation and Harrison's voice is something that has been discussed before on this phorum.
I would just like to add that I respect Harrison very much, as we were both at Sonoma State during the same time period and I have reasoned with him regarding his class he taught there. However that being said, IMO the man cannot sing, not to say he is not musically gifted, just not as a lead singer. When they first started, I never dreamed they would have become as popular as they are now. I figured they would be another Sol Horizon at best. I am happy for them, as Harrison is a very humble and all around nice guy and I do like there sound it's just the vocals. I mean wow, i have a hard time making it through one of their songs. I agree with the other posts that Midnite in absolutely no way compares to groundation. I can tolerate Cedric's vocals more so than Harrison's but it can also "grate" on me after a while.

I do think Friday night is good spot for them as I am kind of used to Friday nights at the main stage as weak, whether it is Rebolution or Michael Franti playing, the artists are usually not my taste. Very fortunate that downbeat the ruler will be in the danchall as an alternative to groundation, which is where you will find me. I suspect that the early dancehall on Friday will far more crowded than usual.
April 06, 2013 09:02PM
I like Cedric Myton's voice...
Cedric Myton & Addis Pablo w/Suns Of Dub - All The People thumbs up

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2013 09:05PM by Ras Danny.
April 07, 2013 01:21AM
Stamina!
I've noticed one link between the two bands - both of their fan bases seem to have a sizable contingent of former and current fans of the Grateful Dead.

I got chastised a few years ago for referring to midnite as the Grateful Dead of reggae.....
April 07, 2013 01:41AM
I agree with Herb and Mulligan regarding Deadheads and Midnite. I've never been to a Groundation show. Music really comes down to personal tastes, what some see as beautiful drum sounds would be noise others.

Regarding this thread- it's a good sign for a forum that topics repeat each other....longetivity.
April 07, 2013 01:48AM
I've had others tell me that they don't like Harrison's voice, but personally I think it adds to the eeriness of his music. Throw in the occasional jazz, and I feel it makes for a sound that I like. Lots of singers use falsetto, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. To each his/her own.

Am I missing anything?

Building An Ark
Dragon War LP
Dub Wars
Each One Teach One
Hebron Gate
Here I Am
Madness
Mighty Souls/Distant Trial 7”
Rockamovya
Upon The Bridge
We Free Again
Young Tree

plus other Young Tree releases

Looking forward to catching this performance.

Jah Son
April 07, 2013 02:09AM
Funny. There is a VI sound here who swears groundation
Is the best thing since sliced bread

About 6 months ago I got one if their mixes and it was nothing but groundation tune. one of the selectors was like 'these white boy bad bad bad'

Needless to say the mix sits in the box of my garage.
April 07, 2013 02:37AM
BV, pass it over. I will put it to good use.
April 07, 2013 02:38AM
Ras James
Daniel
I'm curious about those of you who find Harrison's vocals to grate on them after a while. Do you have a similar feeling regarding Cedric 'Congos' Myton's vocals?

Honestly, I think the Congos are incredibly overrated. There's only so much of Cedric's falsetto one can take before cringing at the sound

Agreed, I'm not into the Congos much at all because of this. When I do occasionally hear them on Sky.fm or whatever, I often find myself thinking how much better that song would be without the absolutely over the top falsetto. I also wonder if any of the other vocalists/band members in The Congos were thinking the same thing when they listened to their tracks after recording.

With Groundation, agree on the voice thing. Obviously the international community and other well known reggae artists respect them, as noted by cameos/guest appearances on their albums, shows, etc. But I, personally, can only take Harrison's voice for so long. It's like trying to have an accent when you don't have one...overdone. I actually saw an interview with them on YouTube or something and I was thinking, come on man, you didn't talk like that 15 - 20 years ago ala semi-patois...it's akin to bad actor trying to have a russian accent on a one star, B movie. I do however, like the band, the beats, bass/drum, etc of Groundation and dig it when the singing is kept to a minimum. My $0.02
April 07, 2013 03:31AM
Patois or Rasta?
April 07, 2013 04:21AM
Walter
BV, pass it over. I will put it to good use.

Ha. Ok. I'll post it in the next couple days
April 07, 2013 05:54AM
Ras_Adam
so i simply dont listen to them much. if people dont care for harrison's voice
why not just not listen? it seems like tens of thousands of people in south america, europe and elsewhere
love it and that irks the haters because it's incomprehensible that if YOU dont like it how can others?
not everyone's taste is yours and why isn't that ok? why do we have to constantly have to
repost this same thread? are you trying to win people over to the i hate the voice campaign?
diff strokes for diff folks. groundation and midnite is not everyones cuppa. we got it.
let's not keep floggin this one...
a

well said. fuhreal
April 07, 2013 07:19AM
^^^ To give your opinions about an artist doesn't mean you're a hater. This is a discussion forum for people to discuss their particular attractions to, or distractions from, the music we all love. To post that just because xyz artist isn't your fave or just isn't your cup of tea on these forums doesn't mean you're a hater. A "hater" to me is a much stronger term than just not having a preference for a certain artist, band, singer, chef,..._______ (fill in the blanl)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 07:20AM by jcom.
April 07, 2013 07:29AM
Interesting conversation. To me, Groundation and Midnite, are both bands that I like, but I think are overexposed, particularly Midnite. Both can put me to sleep, not necessarily a bad thing. It's kind of sweet to be wrapped up in a blanket on a crisp evening and having a slow reggae beat take me in and out of dreamland.
April 07, 2013 10:42AM
i used the term hater because people have expressed what seems to me to be a real hatred/loathing for these acts.
if you hate brussel sprouts dont eat them. but why continually tell the people that love them how bad they taste?
a

edited for typos

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 10:44AM by Ras_Adam.
April 07, 2013 02:47PM
Very true Ras A, which is why I stopped commenting on Midnite, except to ReggaeB of course. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
April 07, 2013 02:56PM
okay peeps disagree, I thought years ago when I heard Groundation that the vocalist was patterning his flow after midnite, even in content and topics and cramming alot of info into one line, alot of imagery. My bad, if the band is beyond that and has advanced themselves then kudos to the band. BTW my idea of patterning vocalists or singers is how the Jamaicans seem to do it. Its how you learn and grow, its a deep respect for your artist and eventually you shine your own light
April 07, 2013 03:00PM
This is an interesting thread....

After my overplaying the album "Each One Teach One', I admit I had to take a break for many of the above reasons. I recently have been listening again to the "Tribute to Bob Marley Live" double disk album...there isn't a bad track on this album in my opinion.

Also their international acclaim is very impressive and speaks to their appeal to the broad international audience. Big respect to them to bringing their conscious reggae message to the massive all over the world. (Also maybe they have had less 'visa issues' then some?)

Looking forward to seeing them this year after a brief hiatus...
April 07, 2013 03:11PM
Sorry, wrong thread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 03:13PM by J_72.
April 07, 2013 05:18PM
jcom
^^^ To give your opinions about an artist doesn't mean you're a hater. This is a discussion forum for people to discuss their particular attractions to, or distractions from, the music we all love. To post that just because xyz artist isn't your fave or just isn't your cup of tea on these forums doesn't mean you're a hater. A "hater" to me is a much stronger term than just not having a preference for a certain artist, band, singer, chef,..._______ (fill in the blanl)

Well said fuhreal
April 07, 2013 05:24PM
Ras_Adam
i used the term hater because people have expressed what seems to me to be a real hatred/loathing for these acts.
if you hate brussel sprouts dont eat them. but why continually tell the people that love them how bad they taste?
a

edited for typos

because this is a discussion board, not a groundation/harrison fan site. go on over to the fan site if you want no 'hating" - a word that really should be retired. to paraphrase JCom - disliking something or disagreeing with you IS NOT HATING...
I would hope that we can take criticism of our idols without getting upset. This discussion is very civil (as opposed to other, earlier threads regarding groundation) and throwing out the "hater" card is unfair.

btw - good comparison....brussel sprouts and groundation.
April 07, 2013 10:29PM
With all the Groundation talk...I should note the Professors excellent live release where he covers Bunny, Spear, and Higgs. Solo stuff is solid too. Just wish he sang less...
April 07, 2013 11:41PM
i always thought his vocal styling was in the Israel Vibes vein

a
April 08, 2013 12:03AM
mulligan
btw - good comparison....brussel sprouts and groundation.

best line in the whole thread. it is exackly like dat comparison... I do like brussel sprouts while at the same time I admit that they taste a likkle odd... I like Groundations music tho at times it sounds a likkle odd...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
April 08, 2013 04:39AM
Groundation is one of my favorite bands along with Midnite. I would not compare them to each other or food..
Groundation is not trying to make the pop charts or win us over with a sweet voice. Harrison along with the band is a messenger these lyrics are his voice, just like Bob Dylan...
Being a fan of Groundation is a journey you grow with them learning, so just listen up relax you mind and just let the music inside.
I understand what some of you are saying...not everyone likes everything but to say to replace Harrison makes me wonder do you know what Groundation is about?
Maybe you need to listen again or go up to the band and met them, they are the real thing and have a great vision..
Bless up Harrison...
April 08, 2013 02:53PM
Ras_Adam

a

Exactly how I feel about Harrison and his voice. Also agree with the Congo's reference. I think that Groundation is a great band to headline Friday night! Looking forward to it.
AJ
April 08, 2013 05:13PM
[/quote]

I think that Groundation is a great band to headline Friday night! Looking forward to it.[/quote]

Groundation is headlining the Valley Stage Friday night? Well.....for me it will be dancehall time. winking smiley
April 08, 2013 05:33PM
I do not know that for sure AJ, I know they are playing friday night and more than likely headlining but I dont know for sure.
April 08, 2013 05:34PM
Ras James
Daniel

Wow - I couldn't disagree more on this one. While I will say that too much Falsetto can get old - he mixes it up enough that it just flows, and when he drops down into Tenor land, he has one of the best voices out there, and not just in reggae. The only "overly" falsetto tune of theirs that comes to mind for me is Thief Is In the Vineyard, and even then I like that song (I'm sure there are others). I think they are one of the strongest roots artists out there, and would love to see them again...

That being said - Harrison can get to me after a while. They sound best when guest vocalists are sharing the lines.

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
April 08, 2013 05:38PM
Dubguy
Ras James
Daniel

Wow - I couldn't disagree more on this one. While I will say that too much Falsetto can get old - he mixes it up enough that it just flows, and when he drops down into Tenor land, he has one of the best voices out there, and not just in reggae. The only "overly" falsetto tune of theirs that comes to mind for me is Thief Is In the Vineyard, and even then I like that song (I'm sure there are others). I think they are one of the strongest roots artists out there, and would love to see them again...

That being said - Harrison can get to me after a while. They sound best when guest vocalists are sharing the lines.

I can agree with that last part, some of my favorite songs by groundation are with Don Carlos, Apple Gabriel or Pablo Moses. My fiance loves Groundation and was not a fan of his voice but said after seeing him live she really started to appreciate him. Harrison is as talented a lead singer as their is. Just in a different way.
April 09, 2013 05:02AM
Ras_Adam

a

Me too. They've done a number of songs with Apple Gabriel and that "flavor" is definitely there in their music.
April 11, 2013 12:37AM
Groundation is a way of life.. Reggae Professor, Rockamovya, all embody greatness in my opinion.. Respect!! Harrison Stafford is a filmmaker as well. "Holding on to Jah" which has not reached release but has been shown for viewing.. Bless up Professor, ill follow you bredrin..
April 11, 2013 02:44AM
Sorry, but no way is Midnite like the Dead. I LOVE Midnite, and can't stand the Dead. The only similarity i see is they both change their set lists every show, and they both tour constantly. But Midnite fans are not a bunch of hippies. smiling smiley At least I'm not. No offense to hippies, actually. I just think Midnite's music is much more spiritual & deep than the Greatful Dead.
April 11, 2013 03:29PM
Greatful Dead - "hard core" fans are hippies.
Midnite - many "hard core" fans are ex-hippies

Greatful Dead - known for long extended jams
Midnite - play long extended jams

Greatful Dead - energetic and dedicated fan base
Midnite - seems to have energetic and dedicated fan base

Greatful Dead - too many albums to keep track of
Midnite - have released many many many albums

To me - the biggest similarity between the two is the (yawn) extended jams and the hippie-ish fans (not everyone, of
course, but a great majority). White boys with dreads are the 21st century hippies.....
April 11, 2013 04:10PM
Define hippy please, the old 'free love' torn jeans wearing anti war sleeping in the park hippies are def not there, i've been searching for them since i moved here in 1980 and haven't found them. If you take out the hippy reference which seems illogical to me, i would agree with much of what you said Mulligan. Since i love both bands i did a little research last night. Recently i attended four Midnite shows and found them extremely pleasurable. So i found this halloween show of the Dead in 1980 in new york, near the time that i first saw them. If you can listen to Ramble on Rose and tell me that jerry didn't hit some highly meditational spots that sent you into the ether, i can accept it, but don't agree:

Here's the whole show:

Love that reggae!
April 11, 2013 04:11PM
The first time i saw Groundation, i also was somewhat dismayed by his voice, but by the third time i saw them it didn't concern me anymore.

Love that reggae!
April 11, 2013 05:00PM
The first time I heard Groundation, I liked Harrison's voice. Now, after seeing them a handful of times and buying a few of there releases, I find his vocals and lyrics inspired, but at best adequate, and usually mildly irritating. That said, IMO he's as good as most reggae "vocalists" that are recording today, which ain't saying much.

Cheers.
April 11, 2013 05:49PM
Well all I know about Midnite is they are the greatest roots reggae band of our generation. I will had in my humble opionion so that I dont stir the pot to much. LOL
April 11, 2013 06:00PM
A lot of the times the lead singers voice defines the music as much as the backing band. To me Groundation is not Groundation without Harrison's voice as Primus is not Primus without Les Claypool's voice. For the people that listen to Primus you know what Im talking about.
April 11, 2013 06:24PM
radiohead would not be radiohead without thom yorkes unique tone....

April 11, 2013 06:26PM
If I was going to compare a band to the Grateful dead. (my Dead knowledge is limited, One cover band show) I would say Groundation are more like them than Midnite.

Groundation has a Jam band style in a way.
April 11, 2013 06:43PM
rossta8888
Well all I know about Midnite is they are the greatest roots reggae band of our generation. I will had in my humble opionion so that I dont stir the pot to much. LOL

That is, as you say, just an opinion. It's shared by many, but many more share the belief that the Grateful Dead was the greatest band of its generation. I'm not a fan of their music, but the Dead did set a precedent for bands of that style which spawned the whole jam-band genre. So far, I haven't seen a whole lot of bands or artists emulate Midnite's style...yet.
April 11, 2013 06:52PM
the original statement was the comparison that they make QUALITY music that is not to everyones taste.......
not that their fans are the same, their music is the same, or who is better than the other......

eye rolling smiley

April 11, 2013 06:56PM
nomotrouble
Define hippy please, the old 'free love' torn jeans wearing anti war sleeping in the park hippies are def not there, i've been searching for them since i moved here in 1980 and haven't found them.

Um - come on up to Butte County and I'll introduce you to a bunch of them, and yes - the same ones you see at deadhead shows are typically around on reggae nights (not MIdnite specific by any means). Maybe they migrated from the cities to be closer to the emerald triangle... or they started bands that are now charting on the Billboard reggae charts! smiling smiley

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
April 11, 2013 07:35PM
Stamina!
rossta8888

That is, as you say, just an opinion. It's shared by many, but many more share the belief that the Grateful Dead was the greatest band of its generation. I'm not a fan of their music, but the Dead did set a precedent for bands of that style which spawned the whole jam-band genre. So far, I haven't seen a whole lot of bands or artists emulate Midnite's style...yet.

Agreed, The dead have been around a lot longer than Midnite. But I agree with everything you said for the most part. I know the Dead probably have a the largest most loyal following of any band ever. My fiance would tell you her favorite band is the Dead. She just doesnt get to listen to anything but Midnite, VI reggae and Groundation. LOL I feel bad for her sometimes. But not bad enough to listen to the Dead or Michael Jackson. Her favorite reggae artist is Dezarie. So that is a blessing for me. If she cant handle any more Midnite we can roll with Sis Dezarie.
April 11, 2013 07:39PM
HiGrade1
the original statement was the comparison that they make QUALITY music that is not to everyones taste.......
not that their fans are the same, their music is the same, or who is better than the other......

eye rolling smiley

Well said, I can agree with that. All 3 bands have very loyal fans and people either seem to love them or dont like them at all. When I found Midnite I felt like they were the band I had been searching for my whole life. The sound they brought, the positive lyrics that you could listen to 100 times and take a different and wonderful meaning from each time you listen to that song.
April 11, 2013 08:26PM
Stamina wrote" So far, I haven't seen a whole lot of bands or artists emulate Midnite's style...yet. "

Daniel could address this,
but have the other VI bands adopted the midnite style?

a
April 11, 2013 10:40PM
Mulligan, I agree with all your points except most Midnite fans being ex-hippies. I know lots of Midnite fans, but none have ever been hippies (children of hippies maybe).

HiGrade, you pretty much hit the nail on the head. smiling smiley

I think the main Deadhead / Reggae-head link might be thaat both types of music are counter-culture and anti-mainstream. Nothing wrong with that, and in that vain I can see the comparisons. But musically reggae and jam-rock are COMPLETELY different. Musically, the Dead are more like Phish, and Midnite is like... well i guess maybe Groundation, although like I said Midnite is in a class of their own!
April 11, 2013 10:45PM
hippies died out in the 70s.....i guess what I mean to say is hippie-ish.
April 12, 2013 06:34AM
Reggabe
Mulligan, I agree with all your points except most Midnite fans being ex-hippies. I know lots of Midnite fans, but none have ever been hippies (children of hippies maybe).

OK, I confess...I was a hippie...and I'm a huge fan of Midnite. And Groundation....and all conscious Reggae music

Jah Son
AJ
April 12, 2013 12:08PM
rossta8888
I do not know that for sure AJ, I know they are playing friday night and more than likely headlining but I dont know for sure.

I received an email from "Reggae e-guide" a couple of days ago and it said K'naan will be closing out the Valley Stage Friday night.
I will most definitely take a break from the dancehall to check out K'naan. Friday night is looking irie.
April 12, 2013 01:45PM
People should listen to what they enjoy, so those here who enjoy Groundation, go for it.

I'd prefer to hear Bitty Mclean on the mike, or Beres, or Cornell, or Mr. Sibbles...different vibe, yes??
April 12, 2013 04:25PM
I received an email from "Reggae e-guide" a couple of days ago and it said K'naan will be closing out the Valley Stage Friday night.
I will most definitely take a break from the dancehall to check out K'naan. Friday night is looking irie.[/quote]

Thanks for that info AJ. Valley stage is the main stage yeah? Who is this K'naan? He is really high up the list and I have never heard of him. That would make sense as the Damien and Stephen, Alpha and K'naan are the first three listed on the bill. Most the time that means headliner but not all the time. Groundation will play an amazing set no matter where they are put and I will be excited for them even if it is 1pm on the smaller stage.

Anyone recomend some K'naan for me to check out? He is he reggae? World music? From JA? Thats a lot of questions, I need to go do some research. LOL
April 12, 2013 05:36PM
K'naan's a Canadian singjay from Somalia. Not strictly reggae, rap or African, but one of the best synthesizers of all these genres. imho very interesting and meaningful stuff.
April 12, 2013 05:50PM
K'Naan put on an excellent performance at the last ROTR @ French's Camp, before anyone knew who he was. Looking forward to seeing him again!
April 12, 2013 05:51PM
And such a great live show...High energy, extremly conscious lyrics and so fun.

@Rossta888, don't you love soccer? You prolly know this song of his well. Not his best works but most "pop".

April 12, 2013 05:51PM
Been listening to this guy's stuff since he was booked, and the best way to describe it would be trip-hop in my opinion.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
April 12, 2013 06:10PM
he played his "dusty foot philosopher" material in the early afternoon a few years back up on the river and was a solid performer.... his music you can tell is influenced by many different styles...

i remember this line getting huge response from the crowd.....

"If I rhyme about home and got descriptive, I'd make 50 Cent look like Limp Bizkit...."

obviously a reference to mogadishu, not canada. grinning smiley

i have not listened to any of his newer material, but between his song for coca-cola and collabo songs with adam levine, will.i.am, david guetta, nelly furtado, etc. it seems he might be completely on the pop-train now, though.....

see ya'll in the DH no matter if its Knaan or Groundation headlining.... smoking smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login