Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Harry J The Liquidator dies

Posted by Sista Irie 
Harry J The Liquidator dies
April 06, 2013 03:24AM
Date: 4/5/13 11:44pm [www.jamaicaobserver.com]

KINGSTON, Jamaica - Harry Johnson, the former insurance salesman who became one of reggae's top producers in the 1970s, died Wednesday at age 68.

Johnson reportedly died at the Savanna-La-Mar Hospital in his native Westmoreland.

Johnson had battled diabetes for many years.

Popularly known as Harry J, Johnson had several big hits in the late 1960s and early 1970s, notably ‘Liquidator’ by the Harry J All Stars and ‘Young, Gifted and Black’ done by Bob Andy and Marcia Griffiths.

Liquidator's opening guitar riff inspired the Staples Singers' classic hit ‘I'll Take You There’.

Johnson also produced singer Lorna Bennett's sultry ‘Breakfast in Bed’ and ‘Book of Rules’ by the Heptones.

In the early 1980s, he produced Sheila Hylton's cover of the Police's ‘The Bed's Too Big Without You’.

The Harry J Studios in Kingston was also a popular recording spot in the 1970s. Bob Marley and The Wailers recorded their first four Island Records albums at the studio.

- Howard Campbell

Photo: Harry J Studio

Re: Harry J The Liquidator dies
April 06, 2013 10:03AM
April 06, 2013 07:49PM
Tight tight studio, with some of the greatest of signature songs were cut at Harry J's....R.I.P. Mr. Johnson, you ran a class-act recording operation; musicians of Jamaica & beyond came through your doors, looking for the sound.
April 06, 2013 08:32PM
Mr. Johnson was VERY serious about his music and the musicians who came through there. Studio loiterers and idlers were summarily expelled, as were musicians and singers who just weren't cutting it. As mentioned in the article, Bob Marley & the Wailers did their recording at Harry J before Tuff Gong studio was built. The studio was also the workplace of Sylvan Morris, one of the finest mixing engineers in Jamaica or anywhere else, for that matter.
April 06, 2013 08:48PM
R.I.P. ... Rock In Paradise ... Harry J
April 06, 2013 08:52PM
Walter

Thanks for posting this...very nice.
April 07, 2013 07:01AM
Mr. Harry, Mr. Harry mek you rock so.
Actually I'm not sure whether this Prince Jazzbo classic was referring to Harry J. or Harry Mudie. Either way it seems appropriate for this topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2013 07:03AM by Jah Mike.
April 08, 2013 10:45PM
[www.youtube.com]

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2013 11:15PM by papaken.
April 08, 2013 11:00PM
RIP

Rough way to go... "Johnson had battled diabetes for many years."

Reminder kings and queens....health through nutrition.....live STRONG
April 09, 2013 05:57PM
R.I.P. Sir,
The music and legendary contributions live on! Will keep on dancing to the sounds.
Peace,
Bagga....
April 11, 2013 06:11PM

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login