Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Leroy Sibbles and Freddie McGregor in Houston

Posted by papaken 
Leroy Sibbles and Freddie McGregor in Houston
April 16, 2013 01:13PM
Took my two boys to the 2nd annual Galveston Reggae festival(JA-GA) this past weekend. It was nice to see so many Jamaican Houstonians that came out to big up their country's heritage. The folks did a great job of transforming Beach Central Park into a two day irie event. The venue is right on Seawall blvd, almost on the beach, and the weather was beautiful. My youngest son kept asking me as the first night waned , "when is 'Fred' coming on?" Freddie Mac did rock the place, aptly backed by Errol Lee and the Bare Essentials band, though the sound left a lot to be desired. The keys on 'Loving Pauper' sounded great though and we headed for our camp as Freddie sang 'Big Ship' with my youngest singing the words back to our car.

The sound issues had been resolved by Sunday and Leroy Sibbles (also backed by the Bare Essentials band) sounded bad to the bone, better than I've ever heard him. People of all ages were just grooving, some older JA men in the audience were just hopping around like rabbits. My personal favorite was his rendition of Marcia Grffiths' 'Feel Like Jumpin'. Great to have an event like this in Texas. Can't wait to see Leroy in Boomville! Believe me , his voice is stronger than ever!

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
Re: Leroy Sibbles and Freddie McGregor in Houston
April 16, 2013 01:45PM
Thanks for the report from this event, cool that they had those 2 headlining.
AJ
April 17, 2013 07:15PM
The south & the midwest could use a few more reggae festivals. Texas seems to be doing their share. thumbs up
Sibbles & McGregor ~ nice.
Kansas City use to have some real nice reggae festivals in the 1990's. Also we have been to the "Midwest Reggae Festival" in Ohio a couple of times ~ once with Freddie on the line up.

Also ~ maybe there is a little more room this year @ SNWMF for Mr. "Big Ship" Freddie McGregor. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2013 08:25PM by AJ.
April 18, 2013 12:07AM
Sorry I missed this show. I didn't even know about it. I think publicity for Texas city shows could be enhanced so more people would travel to the right locations. Anyway, glad to know it was fun.

Austin also had the Wobeon World Music Festival a few weeks ago. That is a first for our fine city. Hope that tradition also continues.
April 18, 2013 12:40PM
Sounds like a great show, if this is an anual event, I might drive down next year. Where can I find out more Papken?
April 18, 2013 04:55PM
[jagafest.com]

looks like Tessanne Chin was there too.
April 18, 2013 05:46PM
Yes, Tessanne was there and I had really looked forward to seeing her. Unfortunately, the performance consisted of one continous wailing type groan backed by the Bare Essentials Band. The sound was ,admittedly, an issue during Ms Chin's songs. I'll leave it like this: it was Freddie McGregor's most easily followed set in his career

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
April 18, 2013 08:42PM
I'm surprised Warren has yet to book Freddie. He is when of the great voices in Reggae still active that we has yet to appear at SNWMF.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login