Really, Billboard's top Ten reggae artists are mostly white?
April 16, 2013 12:14PM
Fixed the link-

[www.erietvnews.com]

waiting for your thoughts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2013 03:56PM by Sista Irie.
Re: Really, Billboard's top Ten reggae artists are mostly white?
April 16, 2013 12:55PM
I couldn't find the info you are referencing through that link.
Billboard's Top Ten Reggae Albums (ranked by sales data compiled by Nielsen SoundScan)
As far as I am concerned Sales do not equate Quality, music is an art and therefore judgement is subjective. I can admit that I like things to be "authentic" but being concerned with Race first is the audio version of judging a book by its cover. I would prefer #10 to be at #1 too but lets be honest, The more popular anything gets the more watered down it gets. Not everyone likes what I like and I'm OK with that.
April 16, 2013 02:13PM
Good response, Nahikuroots- thanks for responding. This is how I responded on FB.

"I have nothing against non-Jamaicans or white artists playing reggae per se. I do have a major problem with the culture responsible for the music not having ample representation on Billboard when there are excellent artists, albums/songs from Jamaican artists being produced in their homeland and being played regularly by US DJs. I am deeply saddened Jamaica has not provided more opportunity and marketing regarding their incredible national reggae treasure to a broad scope of international visibility. One must ask since high quality reggae music and artists exist in their own land, why are they not recognized more highly within the US?"
April 16, 2013 08:25PM
Billboard charts are created by sales numbers alone. Ding dong the witch is dead was put on the billboard charts in England after Margaret Thatcher died to make the radio stations play the song to show popular disgust for Thatcher. They did this by having 30,000 people purchase the song in one week making it third. Real reggae heads have to purchase downloads if they want to see the artists they rate on the Billboard charts, plain and simple.
April 17, 2013 04:42AM
April 18, 2013 09:01AM
who cares????
The kind of music most of us on the board listen to and buy is not "commercial" enough to
make it to Top Ten lists.
as Nahikuroots sez "sales do not equal quality"....
April 18, 2013 01:36PM
Mulligan, I am so glad you asked. I am not on a black or white jag. I come to this question after working closely with Jamaican industry contacts who are and have been widely disappointed in the lack of Jamaica's government support of reggae, widely recognized as one of the country's most valuable assets. There is massive support internally of Jamaican athletes and even massive financial support for bringing non reggae artists to Jamaica (Blues and Jazz Fest), however, the government's lack of interest in supporting and promoting their homegrown reggae industry internationally has been next to nada.

Jamaican music associations have also not been as unified and dedicated as it would take to promote and market reggae globally. It really takes a unified vision and mission by both industry and government to make it happen. In addition, their is a lack of awareness and accountability within the government structure to facilitate and move forward a project that supports the culture where reggae music began. I have to say if the little island of Seychelles off the coast of Kenya is willing to cough up money and support for one of their artists to attend SXSW, it should not be that difficult for Jamaica to see the benefit and put their money where their music is.

It is not the fault of Billboard or even the people who buy the records that 7 out of 10 top record sales are white or American. In fact, when Snoop Dog releases next week, I won't be surprised to see him in the top ten. People buy what they see and hear. Those of us working on behalf of Jamaican artists who deserve exposure and recognition would like to see the Jamaican government in concert with the Jamaican music industry make it easier and more financially possible for their stars to be seen and heard, as well. One less national Welcome to Jamaica ad on t.v. could put a tour of four or five artists on the road across the country for at least a month or so. The Reggae Revival crew could come en masse and promote roots reggae music and Rastafari at a level not seen since Bob Marley and the Wailers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2013 01:39PM by Sista Irie.
April 18, 2013 05:18PM
Seems to be the elephant(s) in the closet, but Jamaican reggae artists are in the news more for gangs, hard drugs and violent homophobic lyrics than music. Maybe the JA government would support the industry more with a "cleaner" image and less controversy. Diplomacy and professionalism is the key.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2013 05:19PM by J_72.
April 19, 2013 05:54AM
Interesting thought to ponder J 72. What the Jamaican DJs choose to support and featre also plays a role in the societal ailments. I am reading once again Laurie Gunst's book Born Fi Dead which is a great refresher on how Jamaican evolved to the current state.

[www.amazon.com]

Music is a reflection of a countrie's history. This book is extremely helpful in placing the reggae music industry in context. The solution to refocusing and marketing Jamaica and Jamaican music is a complex project. One must peel back the onion to see where the barriers occur. The Billboard ratings are only a reminder of how poorly Jamaican artists are represented internationally especially in the US where touring is difficult and support by most of the country is low.

In my opinon, reggae needs a unifed vision and mission within the US to further nurture and grow the genre in this country. That would not exclude the many great American reggae artists but allow them to flourish even more within a context of a multi cultural environment. There is some interest among people I currently work to reinstate or organize a new US reggae music business organization to assess current state, define barriers and work towards making the US a fertile ground for international and national reggae artists and music industry professionals.
April 19, 2013 06:54AM
I think most of the negative reactions to the "Billboard Charts White Reggae Domination" are either hypocritical or uninformed. Bob Marley - the standard by which most people judge Reggae - has been topping the Billboard Reggae charts for the past 2 to 3 decades. How can we now pretend that topping the Billboard Reggae charts means nothing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/19/2013 06:07PM by lloydstanbury.
April 20, 2013 09:15AM
It's time to see someone besides Bob and in addition to Bob on the list. Grammys mean nothing, Billboard means nothing- I get it. But still, it is the best we have for position albums in a marketable position in record stores and even online. Since the only people winning Grammys are the most known names coming out of Jamaica, then it's time to get some other names not only in the running but get people in the voting positions to know more than five or six reggae artist names.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login