Posted by strikkly 
OT; "This is our f@#$# city!!!!!!"
April 22, 2013 02:07PM
Re: OT; "This is our f@#$# city!!!!!!"
April 22, 2013 03:43PM
That was f@#$# awesome.
April 22, 2013 04:46PM
Disagree guys. Isn't the ballpark a 'family atmosphere'?' I guess marshal law gives pro sports athletes yet another reason to be aholes

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
April 22, 2013 05:58PM
I don't think that Ortiz is an a-hole, but I've never met him so I'll have to defer to you, papaken.

In other news: PROFESSIONAL ATHLETES USE BAD LANGUAGE!!

Shocking, just shocking...
April 22, 2013 06:47PM
Family atmosphere with beer, fights, chewing tobacco....
April 22, 2013 09:04PM
And guys on the mic sayin it's our 'f ing ' town. They aren't roll models.

Love that reggae!
April 22, 2013 09:19PM
J_72
Family atmosphere with beer, fights, chewing tobacco....

Well ive been to 30 odd ball games in the past 2 years and have yet to see a fight and no-one really chews anymore. Good clean family fun for my family. Now a reggae fest on the other hand...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 09:20PM by papajoshua.
April 22, 2013 09:52PM
potty mouths....

[video]

[video]
April 22, 2013 10:16PM
Not sure how true it is that "no one really chews anymore". You see it all the time on the field. They aren't allowed to have a can, but the cheek pouches are clearly visible, quite often. I looked for some statistics, but couldn't find any. If you have some let me know, I'm truly curious.

I just don't see why people get so offended at the use of the F-word, particularly in a spirited moment after a bombing. And what I really didn't understand is people getting offended two years ago at Sierra when the closing band dropped an f-bomb on stage saying it was a family event. Really? Drugs, alcohol, straight up debauchery on the festival site, and they are worried about the f-word in front of their kids? How do they explain all the other stuff?

Edit: I agree, baseball is a good family event in regards to the stadium, vibe, etc. violence doesn't break out often, but neither does a baseball player drop f-bombs on the mic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2013 10:59PM by J_72.
April 22, 2013 10:38PM
F*** must be the Sesame Street national word of the day.

April 22, 2013 10:41PM
J72 - yeah, that would be Ozomotli.
They were so fucken jazzed about playing and the fucken reception they were
getting that they f-bombed for about 5 fucken minutes.....

I really think the kids can handle this better than most parents.
April 22, 2013 11:10PM
April 22, 2013 11:27PM
who cares what some overpaid jackass athlete has to say regarding a national event anyways?!
if we are looking to our athletes for guidance in crisis we're totally screwed......

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
April 22, 2013 11:29PM
HiGrade1
who cares what some overpaid jackass athlete has to say regarding a national event anyways?!

The city of Boston?
April 22, 2013 11:30PM
April 23, 2013 12:36AM
mulligan
BWaahahahahhahaahaaha
April 23, 2013 02:31AM
Sports are mainstream modern culture, read them as you may. Either you're tuned into the sentiments of normal people or not. Awareness is not necessarily cosigning the reality. Either you care about what other people feel or not, your choice, most people are selfish pricks so I'm never surprised by people like Higrade1.
April 23, 2013 04:16AM
Higrade, I understand your feelings regarding salaries, but sports teams often do speak for the public consciousness locally or nationally. When Yankees stadium busted out with Sweet Caroline in honor of Boston, that meant something, just as Oritz saying "This is our fing city" meant something to the Red Sox fans, i.e. Boston. There is definitely something to be said in regards to sports and national consciousness.

[www.hlntv.com]

Peace
Jeff

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2013 04:29AM by J_72.
Roy
April 23, 2013 12:17PM
Way to go, Big Papi!!!!!
April 23, 2013 12:38PM
There is no bigger waste of time money and effort in our country than the pursuit of athletics. Exercise is great, competition is not. Spend some of that energy and money on a real problem and we could actually solve it. The brainless muscles that are promoted as great athletes are not who we should be looking up to.

Love that reggae!
April 23, 2013 02:17PM
Some of my brightest students are also our school's best athletes, so the "brainless muscle" statement doesn't hold true. And while I agree there can be an overemphasis on competition in schools, I also believe competition can encourage one to strive to do better. Sports (along with ALL extracurricular) provides many of our students a safe place off the streets, in a disciplined environment, and being part of a team.

April 23, 2013 02:49PM
I just don't see why people get so offended at the use of the F-word, particularly in a spirited moment after a bombing. And what I really didn't understand is people getting offended two years ago at Sierra when the closing band dropped an f-bomb on stage saying it was a family event. Really? Drugs, alcohol, straight up debauchery on the festival site, and they are worried about the f-word in front of their kids? How do they explain all the other stuff?

''A spirited moment after a bombing' ?!!!!!!!??! “ Really??

I don't see why the American people's brains turn to mush whenever the governement wants to take credit for keeping us all 'safe'. Mention security and the American public goes ape doo doo in their gravelling at how wonderful the authorities are in their pursuit to protect us from enemies, real or imagined. This is a power grab, pure and simple, and we are the suckers buying into it. Yeah like Ortiz, the troglodyte, said : It’s our effin country and I’ll be damned if everyone isn’t just ‘spirited’ and praying that freedom isn’t free and actually applauding lockdowns as if we really want a third world type tyranny like Bolivia or somewhere.

Those with at least a mild intellect need to be educators in this struggle, not mouthpieces for the mainstream news, ventriquilists for the mass media.

The big deal about language is about respect and communication in the presence of others. I am more offended by the blantant disregard for speaking or writing correctly, regardless of what language it is-how else do we communicate?. English having degenerated into a slang tourettes type gibberish is really just the tip of the iceberg ; a smaller part of our bigger problem. We are so desensitized to abhorrent behavior(me included) that it is easy to just succumb to the ‘it’s no big deal crowd’ . Kinda of like saying ‘yeah it would be’no big deal’ if swat teams were roaming my street at night while I’m locked in my own home, IF they’re trying to keep me safe of course I’ll put up with anything. Cowardice is extremely offensive in my opinion.

Oh and if anyone sits behind me and my boys at a Ranger game and start throwing f bombs around, I would gladly stick my foot in your mouth.

Now I'm all alone..

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2013 07:46PM by papaken.
April 23, 2013 04:06PM
Dude the Rangers came to SF and cried their pansy butts for days about the smell of marijuana. Screw George Bush, Nolan Ryan and any team their affiliated with.
And @ nomotrouble yeah dude screw Buster Posey as a role model, we need musicians like Prick Jagger and Amy Swinehouse as role models, sure dude. I love how anyone who criticizes mainstream culture these days thinks they're o sooo deep. The critique comes easy, it's how do you overcome.
April 23, 2013 04:18PM
Edit: Mulligan, you're right, let's stick with the topic at hand.

Apologies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2013 04:47PM by J_72.
April 23, 2013 04:45PM
ouch. why drag this into the conversation???

oh, i know. it's been to "quiet" here on the board, we need 200 posts of insults.
what are you thinking dude?
April 23, 2013 05:08PM
April 23, 2013 07:14PM
Ya Strikkly, those same 'normal' people are gun addicts that lead to the 30,000 annual deaths in this country from guns, so you can take normal and bury it. I'm saying the status quo is bad for our society, we should be promoting education, not winning some athletic contest. Exercise, good, worship of athletics rather than some meaningful endeavor, bad. I stand by that.

What do you really know about Buster Posey other than he's a fantastic baseball player, and can maintain his composure under pressure?

Do you know of Frank Peoples, he's eighteen and has spent the last six years trying to make an energy source that won't ruin the earth. That kind of guy should be held up as a role model, a true hero, not a guy who's good at hitting a little ball.

Okay, i made up the guy Frank, but the point is who we in this country hold up as heros, which to most seem to be athletes, cops or soldiers. No wonder the country is going to shiite.

Love that reggae!
April 23, 2013 07:35PM
And @ nomotrouble yeah dude screw Buster Posey as a role model, we need musicians like Prick Jagger and Amy Swinehouse as role models, sure dude. I love how anyone who criticizes mainstream culture these days thinks they're o sooo deep. The critique comes easy, it's how do you overcome.

Actually, Strikly, the critique doesn’t come that easy which is part of the problem. Cynical types say philosophy is dead and it is somehow irresponsible to say ‘that’s deep, man,’ anymore. Unfortunately , critical thinking en masse doesn’t exist in our country. See, the ‘counterculture’ is just a part, now, of the greater mainstream- a distinction that is never made.. Or, there is an attitude like ‘Yeah, critisizing the ‘right’ is easy, what can all of us smarter ‘liberals’ do to actually have a meaningful agenda again?’

Calling out petty celebrity worship without including rock stars in that criticism doesn’t make for a ‘bad’ philosophy. Maybe expression through the arts is more important to some than physical competition. All societies that degenerate into tyranny have an obsession with sports and an art culture that proclaims individuals and ideas really aren’t important. Unfortunately, you can’t take action without turning the light on first.

Now I'm all alone..
April 23, 2013 08:55PM
"All societies that degenerate into tyranny have an obsession with sports and an art culture that proclaims individuals and ideas really aren't important."

I'm really curious about this statement, honestly and not argumentative.

Also, I really do not feel many Boston citizens had a problem with being on lock down while a manhunt for a dude with possible explosives and guns was loose on the streets. The police were actually thanked and cheered for their actions.

And I'm not saying that deep, critical thinking skills should be thrown away for acceptance of mediocrity, but it seems a little stuck up to put down people who love sports and admire athletes as somehow lesser or more stupid than yourself. To me it's like the atheists who insist religious people are somehow not as bright and intellectual as they are because they believe in God.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2013 09:55PM by J_72.
April 23, 2013 10:27PM
No one is lesser or more stupid than anyone else. But as a society, one which holds up an athlete as the supreme endeavor will convince many young people that being a pro athlete is the greatest good, one which holds up an endeavor which could advance our society or solve a problem would convince many young people that that was the greatest good, and would benefit society. Competitive sports create winners and losers. There are better ways to instruct our kids than make half of them into losers.

Love that reggae!
April 23, 2013 10:37PM
I was on an age group swim team in Alaska, perhaps not the most competitive swimming state in the union, but that didn't stop a coach that was hired for us from berating us all the time to swim harder. One day we had a new 12 year old girl, and ole Tom the coach told us we had to swim 500 yards, and if anyone finished over 10 minutes, we would all have to swim it again. Everyone worked their a$$ off, including that new girl, and she finished last, five seconds after ten minutes had passed. When the coach said, Everyone get ready to go again on the minute......four 16 year old girls jumped out of the pool and refused to participate, and read that man the riot act for an hour. It was his last day as our coach. What i got from that is that his zeal for winning made him lose his humanity. Thats athletics for you, winning is so important that human factors are not. When you look up to that baseball player that was the best in his town and now is on some pro team, think about the trail of losers he has put in his wake. He got to play when someone of lesser talent was benched because the coach wanted to win. Even in high school, the best play all the time while those of lesser talents sit. Sure, it's fun watching talented athletes, but it's simple entertainment, and not something i want my kids aspiring about becoming.

Love that reggae!
April 23, 2013 10:41PM
There's more to sports than winners or losers:
[books.google.com]

And I agree- kids have a much better chance of becoming a cardiovascular surgeon than they do making it on a professional sports team. That being said, it also teaches values that otherwise might not be available to them, teamwork, setting and achieving goals, etc. and might even afford them those chances to go to medical school which they might not be able to afford. I've seen it.

Peace
April 24, 2013 12:37AM
Couldn't disagree with you more, Nomo. Sports has always been an integral part of my life, and I consider myself a respectable guy. Yes, there are gonna be winners and losers, but there is nothing wrong with striving to be the best you can be, and apply that to all areas of life. At the end of the day it's just a game, and it's all about healthy competition, no sore winners or losers. THAT is what needs to be taught more often, respect for the competition. Your swim coach was obviously an asshole and there are others like him such as that Rutgers coach, but then there are plenty of coaches and others involved in sports that teach discipline, respect, and hard work, and that really reach out to the youth and the community. Those are the types we should hold up as role models. You don't mention all the American Idol / Jersey Shore type "role models", who I think are far more harmful to society at large. You seem to hold a grudge against Pro Sports, and yes it has become way too glossy and commercialized, but that critique can pretty much be applied to all of "society".

Ok, enough of my rambling. Time for some NBAplayoffs... Go Warriors!
April 24, 2013 01:17AM
Reggabe
.....and yes it has become way too glossy and commercialized, but that critique can pretty much be applied to all of "society".

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
April 24, 2013 03:25PM
it seems to me that most of the people who complain about sports are those too unathletic to play.
April 24, 2013 03:39PM
too unathletic to play. win

Love that reggae!
April 24, 2013 03:47PM
Winning the race means a million times less than being blessed enough to run it.

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
April 24, 2013 03:50PM
Danny Crucial
Winning the race means a million times less than being blessed enough to run it.

BOOM!

POTY - post of the year!!

forest for the trees, indeed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login