Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
Re: forgotten gem..
April 24, 2013 07:59PM
Old time sumpn come back again...go round de bend, mi seh fe tell yu friend

April 26, 2013 12:13AM
.......When mi Check it out Lord, California a mi yard!!!!!
April 26, 2013 12:46PM
A gem forgotten by most Americans in these halcyon days! From 1962.

Reel
April 26, 2013 06:06PM
Great draw Penny! He was a lot more popular in the UK than in the states for some reason. I've seen a clip of the Beatles doing this choon before they blew up.
April 27, 2013 07:50PM
It was a big tune among the cognoscenti in the Smoke too, Stamina, of which I was one. My little London crew had the same tastes as the Liverpool beat musicians and I had most of those records covered by the Beatles: The Miracles' 'You Really Got A Hold On Me', Barrett's Strong's 'Money', The Marvelettes' 'Please Mr Postman', The Shirelles' 'Baby It's You', The Isleys' 'Twist And Shout', The Coasters''Young Blood' and many more. That was why I hated The Beatles when they first came out, they sounded to me like bad covers on the Embassy label, the Woolworths imprint that used to cover two big hits on both sides of a single by singers like Danny Street (!) and Mark Gunning and cream off some of a record's sales. The only US song the Beatles actually improved on was 'Twist And Shot', a far better and spunkier version than those recorded by The Isley Brothers, The Top Notes, Brian Poole And The Tremeloes or the Mamas And Papas.

Actually 'Some Other Guy' has a similar long piano intro as 'Money', both ripped of course from Ray Charles' 'What I'd Say'. The flip is 'Tricky Dicky', also by Barrett. In the late 1960s, I used to enjoy playing this while flinging my shoe at the defaced photograph of Tricky Dicky Nixon I had pinned to my wall.

Reel
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login