Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SNWMF 2013 - Lineup by Day

Posted by Daniel 
Re: SNWMF 2013 - Lineup by Day
May 10, 2013 04:14AM
Daniel

While it is true that Vaughn does lots of albums with other promoters, there are really only 9 Midnite studio albums - Unpolished, Ras Mek Peace, Jubilees of Zion, Seek Knowledge Before Vengeance, Intense Pressure, Scheme A Things, Ainshant Maps, What Makes a King and Anthology.

I think you have named all of my favorite Midnite albums. But how can you say there are only 9 Midnite studio albums? I have about 2 dozen albums by Midnite that are not live albums and I stopped buying their CDs several years ago and unless their output has slowed recently there are many that I don't have. Please explain how you figure there are only 9 Midnite studio albums.
May 10, 2013 04:45AM
Really?? Threy are re not even at the 20th anniversay celebration in Boomville. Let it go!
May 10, 2013 05:21PM
Jah Mike
Please explain how you figure there are only 9 Midnite studio albums.

I believe many of the albums you are thinking of are more of the "produced by Vaughn, using Midnite players" rather than full length, official Midnite releases. Think of the gazillions of Lee Perry collections for example: most are really other artists that were produced by LSP at his studio, with some version of the Upsetters/Congos backing them. Same with Tubby, Thompson, etc.

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
May 10, 2013 07:03PM
Ok Ok, sorry for stirring the pot once again regarding Midnite (well, J-72 started it, lol). My comparing the band to Burning Spear was the fact that both bands can lull the audience in to a trance-like state by the ends of their shows. Believe me, I saw Spear live about a dozen times from the 90's-2000's, and when he says "talk to me people" and "do you wnat more Burning Spear?" at the end of his shows, I think he was really trying to wake people out of their trance and get more engaged. Both groups are deeply spiritual and have heavy, repetitive basslines with hypnotic lyrics, so I think the comparison was appropriate.

Mulligan, sorry to get personal, but I have to question your musical judgement when you say that Midnite is not roots reggae. To me, they single-handedly brought roots reggae BACK from the dead in the 90's. They advertise themselves as 100% Roots reggae and I 100% agree. They have added their own unique style, which is a good thing, but are still definitely roots reggae. And people on here calling them the Grateful Dead of reggae seems ludicrous, the same could be said of Burning Spear in the 90's.

Papaken, you're description of the Midnite phenomenon is spot on. Sometimes people don't know a good thing when it's staring them in the face.

Rossta88, judging from your posts, you remind me of a younger version of me, lol. Would love to link up on the Saturday, as I think I'll just be going for 1 day this year. Will k.i.t. as it appraoches.

Lastly, I hereby promise to NOT get on people's case about Midnite from here on out. The dead horse has been beaten enough already. I totally agree with different strokes for different folks, I just get a little personal when it comes to Midnite. They have been very influential in my life over the last decade, & I just want to spread the joy around that I get from their music. Bless up ALL reggae singers and players of instruments too, and all lovers of the music worldwide! That is all.
May 10, 2013 07:16PM
ummmmmmmmmm.......
i know it turned into a midnite thread... (doesn't it always?!.....)
but isn't this thread about the lineup by day? eye rolling smiley

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
May 10, 2013 07:38PM
Yup, Saturday is gonna be a marathon!!!
May 10, 2013 08:59PM
Reggabe
Yup, Saturday is gonna be a marathon!!!

Just like a typical Midnite set!

See what I did there.... winking smiley
May 10, 2013 11:14PM
Oh Walter, why?
May 11, 2013 12:47AM

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
May 17, 2013 11:26PM
Anyone else notice on the site that gappy and prince fatty have switched days and time slots? I actually like this but hope I don't have a gappy/ holly cook and crew conflict of time.
May 18, 2013 03:35AM

hope I don't have a gappy/ holly cook and crew conflict of time

Not to worry, no conflict there Jahsiah
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login