The Itals
April 29, 2013 10:08PM
The Itals rocked it in 2009!!! How about getting the legendary roots rockers back???
Re: The Itals
April 29, 2013 10:31PM
Yes I Mon! Would be nice if Ronnie Davis was part of the harmony crew and performed some of his solo material! It would also be nice to have the Wailing Souls reunion revisited as well, was a special performance they gave a few years back.
April 30, 2013 12:21AM
Personally, I'd like to see SNWMF recruit the duo Jackie Opel and Doreen Schaeffer, or even better the original Uniques featuring Slim Smith, Roy Shirley and Lloyd Charmers.

Reel
April 30, 2013 12:56AM
I always thought the viceroys or chalice would be perfect for SNWMF
April 30, 2013 06:13AM
Higgs and Wilson (Joe Higgs and Roy Wilson)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 07:04AM by papaken.
April 30, 2013 08:41AM
If the Itals do come back please bring them with a full horn section. It makes a world of difference.
May 01, 2013 10:54PM
Hey The Man, thought we were talking about folks that were still alive? I like your style though, wish I could have caught Slim Smith perform. He and my brother shared something in common....
May 01, 2013 11:06PM
I don't know if you cross the Atlantic often, but we were blessed with Roy Shirley in the past at Boonville as I am sure you know about. I will never forget that performance.
May 05, 2013 01:31AM
Cat got your tongue? No one mentioned Lloyd Ricketts....
May 05, 2013 12:10PM
steeleman

Are the Viceroys even together and/or touring anymore. They are one of my favorites but, in my 25+ years of seeing shows, I've never seen them on any billing.
May 06, 2013 08:37PM
Pale Ryder
Cat got your tongue? No one mentioned Lloyd Ricketts....

Lloyd 'Blondie' Ricketts of Sav-La-Mar, R.I.P.
May 07, 2013 07:07AM

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
May 08, 2013 03:38AM
Didnt Roy pass away recently?

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
May 08, 2013 04:20AM
Jcom says: "I've never seen them on any billing".

That's probably because The Viceroys have not existed for the past 40 years. They were a west Kingston vocal trio led by Linval Thompson as Bonigale who recorded a series of driving rock steady classic like 'Lose And Gain', 'Maga Down', 'Last Night' and 'Ya Ho' for Studio One in the 1960s before splitting up in the area's political tribalism of the early 1970s with the defection of Bonigale and harmony vocalist Danny Bernard for the safety of a rural existence, and who return briefly in the late 1970s with sole original member Wesley Tinglin at the helm and an album for Winston Riley.

Reel
May 14, 2013 10:25AM
Just found out Keith Porter is playing a small show in St. Louis, MO tonight.....

"Keith Porter of THE ITALS joins Yard Squad TONIGHT @ Pop's Blue Moon!! 9pm 21+"
May 14, 2013 10:32AM
Ronnie Davis has appeared now and then over the years, but the touring Itals have been all over North America for decades without him. Harmonies have included Keiths daughter Kada and various other vocalists. It's Keith's show, it always has been. The conscious songwriting and lead vocals that makes Itals a living legacy is Keith Porter, for sure.

-Hidden Kulcha
May 14, 2013 11:00PM
I was blessed to see Ronnie Davis perform at 19th &Broadway back in 2005, hardley anyone was there. Great show! He even played Peace and Love...
May 15, 2013 12:10PM
socalsands
Ronnie Davis has appeared now and then over the years, but the touring Itals have been all over North America for decades without him. Harmonies have included Keiths daughter Kada and various other vocalists. It's Keith's show, it always has been. The conscious songwriting and lead vocals that makes Itals a living legacy is Keith Porter, for sure.

-Hidden Kulcha

Ironically, it was Mr. Davis that initially started the Itals---& altho' Keith had the signature sufferah's voice upfront, Ronnie & Lloyd provided such distinct and strong harmonies. And Ronnie's vocal gifts have always been under-rated in my book.

Last night I visited with Keith, and brought along his good friend and producer from 30 years ago, Leroy Pierson. As always, time is longer than rope, and we were grateful to still be able to laugh and renew the bonds. I'd seen Keith last when bringing him onstage @ SNWMF a few years ago, but Mr. Porter & Pierson had not seen each other for a long time.
May 15, 2013 12:13PM
papa ray
socalsands

-Hidden Kulcha

Ironically, it was Mr. Davis that initially started the Itals---& altho' Keith had the signature sufferah's voice upfront, Ronnie & Lloyd provided such distinct and strong harmonies. And Ronnie's vocal gifts have always been under-rated in my book.

Last night I visited with Keith, and brought along his good friend and producer from 30 years ago, Leroy Pierson. As always, time is longer than rope, and we were grateful to still be able to laugh and renew the bonds. I'd seen Keith last when bringing him onstage @ SNWMF a few years ago, but Mr. Porter & Pierson had not seen each other for a long time.

ray... were you at the 'calling rastafari' sessions ?

that was easily my favorite tape from the late80s..
May 16, 2013 06:42AM
bigvein

ray... were you at the 'calling rastafari' sessions ?

that was easily my favorite tape from the late80s..

I was not in Kingston those nights in the early 80s, when Sylvain Morris ran the board and the Radics backed such a dream group of talent. Oh, to have been there.

Leroy Pierson has certainly been my Reggae Rabbi for anything recorded before 1975; his musical chops & history included staging the very first Blues Festival ever held in North America(!), seeing Mississippi Fred McDowell bequeath his guitar to him, and being a friend of Bonnie Raitt when as a young girl she was a follower of McDowell; he is the co-author the Bob Marley Discography with Roger Steffens, as well as being a recognized practitioner of Delta slide guitar.

He was Best Man at the wedding of my 1st marriage, and yes, he was the producer for the Calling Rastafari sessions.
May 16, 2013 06:50PM
jcom
steeleman

Are the Viceroys even together and/or touring anymore. They are one of my favorites but, in my 25+ years of seeing shows, I've never seen them on any billing.

I don't know about touring, but I saw the Viceroys perform in Kingston about a year and a half ago at a weekly show Dubtonic used to put on at the wyndham. They were on-point that night and got a nice forward for "Heart Made of Stone" in particular
May 19, 2013 08:32PM
Ras James
jcom
steeleman

I don't know about touring, but I saw the Viceroys perform in Kingston about a year and a half ago at a weekly show Dubtonic used to put on at the wyndham. They were on-point that night and got a nice forward for "Heart Made of Stone" in particular

Wow, you are one lucky bugger. They are in my Top 5, if not Top 3. They are absolute bullseye of the type of roots that hit me hardest.
May 19, 2013 08:58PM
Ras James
jcom
steeleman

so the same tunes one can consider a 'califoronia hit list' of sorts have the same popularity in JA?

my viceroy tune of choice is easily 'rise in the name of jah'

TUNE!!
May 19, 2013 10:39PM
Big Vein, isn't that Viceroys track named "Rise in the Strength of Jah"? A wonderful song regardless.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login