Kind of a bummer that....
May 04, 2013 06:30PM
....Alpha Blondy is headlining Sunday night instead of Fri or Sat. In my experience at many festivals, including multiple ROTRs, and SNWMFs....a lot of people are burned out, tired, tanked, feel the need to start packing up, too much sun over 3 days, etc. etc.

When Bunny Wailer headlined Sunday night at ROTR in 2006, I was there, enjoyed it, but did not have the energy or enthusiasm I normally would have. I only have myself to blame...I was beat from seeing so many acts, day beers and or toking throughout, lots of walking and standing over 3 days. I just didn't have left in me like I do for a Fri or Sat.

If wishes were fishes....I'm sure it will still be excellent...I will be there 10 - 20 rows back...but the Monday morning chaos is always in the back of my mind at that point along with fatigue.

Just my $0.02....props for bringing Alpha to the 20th anniversary!!!
Re: Kind of a bummer that....
May 04, 2013 07:15PM
The first memory to fade away from my great times at snwmf is the exhaustion. Friday night is bliss, Saturday a bit sore, Sunday is a challenge to see what i've got left. Plans get pared down, naps get taken, intense performances on the Valley stage get skipped in favor of the quieter Village scene....and by Sunday evening it's all about when to call it a a day. It was an easy decision for me to take in Vernon Maytone at the Village, walk past Barrington Levy, whoi've seen several times, not rootsy enough for me, on my way to the car and the drive back to my beach house, listening on the radio as i went. But i wanted it to be some act that held me there until the last minute. Last year Luciano worked for me, and those words, ' going back to my roots..' echoed in my mind the whole way. Still do. So i am really looking forward to Alpha Blondy to do that for me this year, and i think i won't be disappointed. Hope to get a little video that i like as much as this:

Love that reggae!
May 04, 2013 07:26PM
I like my Sunday at snwmf to be like church. Last year was like that for me an this year looks like a chill international night. I don't mind that so much, I expect to be pleasantly impressed with the Sunday line up.
May 05, 2013 01:01AM
That's a rookie move if you can't can't make it through Sunday night! You gotta pace yourself!

Just messin', I missed plenty of big acts back in the day at ROTR. I have to admit now that I'm older I'm much better at pacing myself and conserving my energy for the long haul....
May 05, 2013 06:53AM
I am stoked that Alpha Blondie is playing on Sunday, the race is not for the swift but for those who can endure
May 05, 2013 07:14PM
Pale Ryder
I am stoked that Alpha Blondie is playing on Sunday, the race is not for the swift but for those who can endure

I can certainly "endure". My OP referred more to the fact that many cannot endure through Sunday night...it's feasible that Sunday night crowds are 30 - 50% lighter than Fri/Sat nights, no matter what festy you are attending. I'm just saying it would have been nice to have the house packed 110% for Alpha to show him how much he is loved, respected, and appreciated on the west coast. Nevertheless, I'm sure he will tear it up. I saw him twice in Park City, UT at a venue that held about 500 people...both times, he brought it big time.
May 05, 2013 07:38PM
jcom
Pale Ryder

I can certainly "endure". My OP referred more to the fact that many cannot endure through Sunday night...it's feasible that Sunday night crowds are 30 - 50% lighter than Fri/Sat nights, no matter what festy you are attending. I'm just saying it would have been nice to have the house packed 110% for Alpha to show him how much he is loved, respected, and appreciated on the west coast. Nevertheless, I'm sure he will tear it up. I saw him twice in Park City, UT at a venue that held about 500 people...both times, he brought it big time.
In my opinion this makes it better. I love the marleys but you are correct. When they are done 30-50% would probably leave. For me this is awesome and this is why I always Marat until Monday morning. I have always have a great experience on Sundays because less crowd and more roots and amazing acts that true music lovers feel and wait for. Last year was a great example. J boog, Fiji, third world Friday, Johnny Osborne lkj, and jimmy cliff Saturday which was awesome. But Della, twinkles, and Luciano was amazing on Sunday an the crowd loved and appreciated every moment o it. Big up to warren on his bookings and his schedule. I believe in his line up and will be there to enjoy every moment jut like the artist.
I think Sunday for alpha blonde and everyone else is fitting or the die hat fans to enjoy with out a certain crowd. Let them go home and give us Sunday in my opinion.
May 05, 2013 07:41PM
Please wxcuse and separate my grammatical errors from my opinion. I'm a older reggae fan typing on an iPhone.

Jahsiah
jcom
Pale Ryder

In my opinion this makes it better. I love the marleys but you are correct. When they are done 30-50% would probably leave. For me this is awesome and this is why I always Marat until Monday morning. I have always have a great experience on Sundays because less crowd and more roots and amazing acts that true music lovers feel and wait for. Last year was a great example. J boog, Fiji, third world Friday, Johnny Osborne lkj, and jimmy cliff Saturday which was awesome. But Della, twinkles, and Luciano was amazing on Sunday an the crowd loved and appreciated every moment o it. Big up to warren on his bookings and his schedule. I believe in his line up and will be there to enjoy every moment jut like the artist.
I think Sunday for alpha blonde and everyone else is fitting or the die hat fans to enjoy with out a certain crowd. Let them go home and give us Sunday in my opinion.
May 06, 2013 02:32AM
Show up saturday, eat and pre party, enter the feisty, go to sleep at a decent hour and if the inspiration hits you hard re lick again pon dem Sunday, my nodus operandi each year on the grown up tip.
May 06, 2013 10:35PM
I I think Alpha Blondy will be the perfect close to a wonderful weekend. Sunday is like church and it will definitely feed my soul.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2013 06:42AM by naturalmommy.
May 06, 2013 10:38PM
Too big for Fri. night, not high energy enough for Sat. night. Sunday night closing is the perfect place for Mr. Blondy......
May 07, 2013 01:02AM
Alpha Blondy will be a wonderful closing for a wonderful weekend.
May 07, 2013 03:50AM
J_72

thumbs up exactly what i was thinkin......

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
AJ
May 07, 2013 10:55AM
HiGrade1
J_72

thumbs up exactly what i was thinkin......

IRIE

thumbs up
May 07, 2013 03:56PM
I love Sunday night sets! Seen some of my favorite shows at festivals have been on Sunday nights. Saturday always brings the dancehall and with it people come from ????? Who knows, Sunday all those people are gone and typically it is more roots music than dancehall on Sunday night. Couldnt think of a better time to see Alpha!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login