SNWMF 2013 Regrets to inform you that.....
May 08, 2013 07:29PM
K'naan will be unable to perform at this year's festival due to a conflict in his schedule. Replacing him on the Valley Stage friday night will be SOJA.
Re: SNWMF 2013 Regrets to inform you that.....
May 08, 2013 08:03PM
Ouch!
May 08, 2013 08:04PM
Double Ouch!
May 08, 2013 08:08PM
Deeply disappointed. Oh we'll I may have an early Friday night now to rest up for Saturday. K'naan was one of my weekend highlights.
May 08, 2013 08:34PM
Sorry Jahsiah, that is a bummer when one of you highlights is gone. I know that SOJA is not your favorite but maybe Downbeat the Ruler in the Dancehall will be fun??
May 08, 2013 08:52PM
SOJA is awesome live!

happy reggae
May 08, 2013 09:01PM
BUMMER!!!!!
May 08, 2013 09:08PM
Well at least there is no reason to miss Downbeat the Ruler in the dancehall!!!!

Be well
eric v
May 08, 2013 09:17PM
rossta8888
....but maybe Downbeat the Ruler in the Dancehall will be fun??

maybe???

no, definitely!!!
May 08, 2013 09:19PM
eric v
Well at least there is no reason to miss Downbeat the Ruler in the dancehall!!!!

Be well
eric v

MIGHTILY TRUE!
May 08, 2013 09:59PM
at least it's not oh, anybody else!

thanks Dub

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2013 08:42PM by papaken.
May 08, 2013 10:34PM
papaken

Cue the Amii Stewart track...

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
May 08, 2013 11:14PM
I'll be sorry to miss K'naan, he sounded interesting from what I heard of his music on the main site. OTOH, SOJA is probably my favorite US Reggae band.
May 09, 2013 06:24AM
danchall gonna be bubblin'.....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
May 09, 2013 04:14PM
agreed.......
May 09, 2013 05:00PM
papaken

My first though on seeing this thread was please, please, please don't let it be Max Romeo!
May 09, 2013 07:54PM
niceup
papaken

My first though on seeing this thread was please, please, please don't let it be Max Romeo!

That was EXACTLY my first thought as well.

Whew!

Jah Son
May 09, 2013 08:08PM
True - Please Daniel no more Regret threads. Lovin the lineup as is. I know it's not up to you.
Keep up the good work on this Phorum! Respect!!

Peace Love and Harmony
May 09, 2013 09:44PM
mulligan
rossta8888
....but maybe Downbeat the Ruler in the Dancehall will be fun??

maybe???

no, definitely!!!

Sounds good Mulligan! The dancehall scene is new to me. Only time I have experienced it was SNWMF in 08 Rodigan and Stone Love. Didnt really pay attention to them either. After the shows ended I would go to bed. This year you all have me excited for Jah Shaka and Downbeat the ruler. What is so special about their dancehall shows. Pardon my ignorance, what makes one dancehall show more special than the other??
May 10, 2013 01:41AM
rossta8888

Pardon my ignorance, what makes one dancehall show more special than the other??

you have never been to a ghetto dance? with a big sound string up?

with two pull and a big batty gyal rubbing in the corner all night ?

THIS IS WHAT MAKES REGGAE ADDICTING!!

you havent experienced reggae until you step in a dance.. feeling nice and you just run up on a nice thing.. and you and her just hold up in a corner all night... please... the whole hippy peace and love puff puff pass scene is souless.. its in the dance with a nice sound, this is the heart of reggae music...
May 10, 2013 02:00AM
The heart of Jamaican music--- of any era--- is dancehall music, period. And traditionally, it is the dancehall culture that wakes the town & provides the best experience for most listeners...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2013 02:03AM by papa ray.
May 10, 2013 02:11AM
papa ray
The heart of Jamaican music--- of any era--- is dancehall music, period. And traditionally, it is the dancehall culture that wakes the town & provides the best experience for most listeners...

exactly... nothing beats hearing this music on a huge sound.. add two pull to the equation, and you wont stop dancing..
some of the best times of my life are stepping in a dance.. feeling nice.. the bass just sounding soo good and full.. then just stepping to a thing, pulling her in, and it becomes an all night scrub.. no introduction, no nothing.. just vibes..
May 10, 2013 02:48AM
bigvein
....... the whole hippy peace and love puff puff pass scene is souless..

yeah "you and her just hold up in a corner all night..." is so much more soulful.....?!

please.

May 10, 2013 03:29AM
HiGrade1
bigvein

yeah "you and her just hold up in a corner all night..." is so much more soulful.....?!

please.

Yes. If u are coming from a spiritual sense then yes the whole sensuality of the dance can be seen as appealing to base desires.

My point though is the dance has a whole life about it that can't be experienced just by listening to the music. Huddling around with the boys passing a spliff is no where near the same as stepping in a dance. Complete with nuff draw and nuff clean bass bins

Excuse the thought dump. Typing on phone.
May 10, 2013 03:38AM
Me and she hold up inna corner for most of the night. As long as we can step. That's the way. I'm with BV on this.
May 10, 2013 08:49AM
BV has it right, papa ray does too - the dancehall culture of the 50s is where the seeds that became the strong oak we call reggae music germinated. It is no coincidence that the early mega-producers of reggae (Lee, Dodd, et al) ran huge dances in the 50s and 60s and were known for their sound systems. The hyper-competitive atmosphere in this era burnished the skills of these men and women and prepared them for the excellence that they were to attain in later years.

"Roots", a sub-genre, was co-opted by Rastafarians but, by and large, it is the dance that is responsible for reggae's popularity in the ghetto.

And, BV, I agree wholeheartedly about your observation on the "hippy peace and love puff puff pass scene" being souless. Nice job.
May 10, 2013 12:07PM
Dancehall is nice if the music plays....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2013 12:27PM by J_72.
May 10, 2013 05:47PM
This documentary is all about the UK scene, but it's a good intro to dancehall.
Musically Mad trailers

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
May 10, 2013 05:58PM
J_72
Dancehall is nice if the music plays....

J... have you ever been in a dance ? not even a dance in JA.. cause i never have.. but maybe some place where its pure ghetto vibes ? i have never been to a juggling dance where there have been horribly timed pulls.. a skilled selector will know when to pull as that only adds to the excitement of the tune... its puts emphasis on a hard hard hard phrase usually at the beginning of a tune.. if the tune is that big it might get pull two times.. i think you speak from the perspective of a sub-urbanite who likes reggae.. dont get me wrong.. i come from the same.. but i have experienced ghetto dances.. and no san diego doesnt count.. but still those SD dances from 1999-2007 were big.. i think things fell off past that point as the dance was no longer a dance... maybe tok still hold it down.. but i have never been to a tok event stacked with bass bins... they normally play at spots with a club pa.. not a venue in the black area of town which doubles as a storage warehouse during the week... anyway from 2007 to the present i was floating between atl and nyc.. so its during that time that i saw big dance..
May 10, 2013 07:16PM
San Diego vibes- attended a dance there in the early 90's. Don't know the name of the club, but went with a friend who worked for Eliot at the time. Also attended a Nyabinghi session in SD during that time- a learning experience for a youth!

Peace Man

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2013 07:24PM by J_72.
May 10, 2013 07:38PM
J_72
San Diego vibes- attended a dance there in the early 90's. Don't know the name of the club, but went with a friend who worked for Eliot at the time. Also attended a Nyabinghi session in SD during that time- a learning experience for a youth!

Peace Man

i was still playing ball about that time.. but yeah.. those dances were legend.. i have tapes from those days.. i think those dances were kept at salvation army or some basement hall..
May 10, 2013 09:04PM
SOJA will be massive as far as the response goes. K'Naan will be missed. as far as K'Naan being a draw... seriously? I mean the guy was on Ellen. IF nothing else he is a draw.
May 10, 2013 09:11PM
HiGrade1
bigvein

please.

What can be better holding it down with your partner inna the dance?!!?

One of the reasons I big up the Who Cork The Dance website is they document the reality of dancehall culture so lovingly---and although I've had great and bright moments checking live music when in Jamaica, it is INDEED when I go to the dance I feel I'm where the music, people & vibes are the strongest and most given to musical levity.
May 11, 2013 08:48AM
K'naan was main highlight.....now I won't feel bad about missing it this year...nuff respect to all the other great acts this year, there are many
May 11, 2013 12:21PM
bigvein
i think those dances were kept at salvation army or some basement hall..

Not sure why I said club, especially since I was only 18 at the time (although Paradise Cove in Fresno was all ages). It wasn't in basement though. Serious Rasta vibes in San Diego back then.

Peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/11/2013 01:11PM by J_72.
May 11, 2013 11:48PM
Damn sad smiley
Was looking forward to k'naan
May 13, 2013 03:37AM
For those of you interested in learning more as to why K'naan cancelled his appearance at SNWMF:

:The Sundance Institute today revealed the 13 lucky projects selected for its annual June Directors and Screenwriters Labs, taking place from May 17-June 27. This year's high-profile Fellows include "The Imposter" director Bart Layton and rapper K'Naan.

The annual workshops give selected films a leg up in the independent film community in terms of financing and representation and make them likely candidates for the institute’s signature film festival. Ten films previously supported by the Institute’s Feature Film Program screened at the 2013 Sundance Film Festival, including “Ain’t Them Bodies Saints,” “May in the Summer” and “Blue Caprice.”

Michelle Satter, Founding Director of the Feature Film Program, said, "We are very excited to support such a rich selection of projects that reflect the diversity of stories, artistic vision and innovation in narrative form that embraces the next generation of independent filmmakers. The support we provide through the Directors and Screenwriters Labs will allow each artist to develop the tools and confidence to more fully realize the promise of their first and second features."

Source
May 13, 2013 06:01AM
Good for k'naan. I would flake too for that.
May 13, 2013 03:52PM
lame.

May 13, 2013 04:36PM
I agree... weak to flake from something you already agreed to and most likely were paid a deposit for regardless of other opportunities
May 13, 2013 05:29PM
happens ALL the time...
May 13, 2013 06:00PM
HiGrade1
lame.

however, the name of the game is wealth and fame... to obtain that, one needs to be seen and recognized by industry gatekeepers.. for those on a life long top ramen diet, the choice is clear.. not saying its right, but large stacks or the potential of obtaining large stacks has a way influencing people.. judas became the ultimate betrayer for less.

that said dready dave, ras medi, the nor-cal herbalist collective isnt going to pay this mans bills.. they wont provide for this mans family.. after the man's set and after the high is gone, this man will be totally forgotten. so the backlash and commentary on the man's lack of 'commitment' is only due to some unrealistic ideology.

remember, this is first and foremost the entertainment industry.. you can put the hippy dressing on top of it all you want.. but in the end,its all about maximum amount of money, drugs, and women.. plus most of these guys professing to be down, real, whatever, would probably take 100 backshot just to see a million dollar check..
AJ
May 13, 2013 06:02PM
Not sure if I would drag myself away from the Village Stage/Dancehall on Friday night, but I was hoping to check out K'naan for a few songs @ SNWMF.
But luckily for me he's part of "Celebrate St. Louis Summer Concerts" ~ K'naan free concert in St. Louis, Missouri on July 19 @ Downtown Soldiers Memorial Plaza. thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 06:13PM by AJ.
May 13, 2013 06:03PM
The MOST cynical post of the year goes to the Man, BV.

Now I'm all alone..
May 13, 2013 06:24PM
papaken
The MOST cynical post of the year goes to the Man, BV.

so you are saying that cancelling SNWMF for Sundance is something other than a career move ?

is there that much difference between the fort bend and nw houston water supplies ?
May 13, 2013 06:26PM
As far as integrity, it really depends on how these things go down. If said unreliable artist contacts the promoters with a "I know this sucks, but I have this great opportunity and how would you feel if..." type of attitude, and promoter is bummed but understands and supports the decision, that retains a level of integrity. If said artist is like "Sorry I can't make it, too bad, so sad, here is your deposit back", that speaks volumes about their integrity.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 13, 2013 06:34PM
DJ Treez
As far as integrity, it really depends on how these things go down. If said unreliable artist contacts the promoters with a "I know this sucks, but I have this great opportunity and how would you feel if..." type of attitude, and promoter is bummed but understands and supports the decision, that retains a level of integrity. If said artist is like "Sorry I can't make it, too bad, so sad, here is your deposit back", that speaks volumes about their integrity.

respect always treez.. in the grand scheme of things, the SNWMF demographic has zero to no pull when it comes to this man's career.. so in his mind, so what if you all feel a certain way.. when the buzz and meds start flowing, no one will even remember the slighted feeling.. i mean really, does this announcement carry any type of emotion outside of responding to the thread ? will this announcement deter you all from running the man's tunes ? no.. this is a first world problem at best.. if you even want to take it that far..

on a personal level, this move sucks.. but this isnt personal.. its business. so really integrity doesnt come into play..
May 13, 2013 06:34PM
Well, say K'naan was a friend of yours, and you'd hired him to do a party at your house. There are others available, but you'd like K'naan. Then, a month before your party he gets an invite such as this. If you were really a 'friend' instead of a business acquaintance you'd want what is best for him, which is clearly making this movie. So you would say, if you don't go do the movie, man, i'm gonna be pissed, that would be really good for you. And you would hire someone else for the party. This is similar. We aren't privvy to the communications between the artists and Warren, but it could have been more of an asking to be let out of the contract than a telling that i'm out sort of thing....

Doesn't have to be as cold a decision as painted above. Sometimes an opportunity really needs to be taken and can be agreed on by both sides.

Love that reggae!
May 13, 2013 06:46PM

its business. so really integrity doesnt come into play..

Call me old fashion but, I've always believed that "integrity" means fulfilling the agreements you've entered into. Some people might say that it's also good 'business'....
May 13, 2013 06:48PM
nomotrouble
Well, say K'naan was a friend of yours, and you'd hired him to do a party at your house. There are others available, but you'd like K'naan. Then, a month before your party he gets an invite such as this. If you were really a 'friend' instead of a business acquaintance you'd want what is best for him, which is clearly making this movie. So you would say, if you don't go do the movie, man, i'm gonna be pissed, that would be really good for you. And you would hire someone else for the party. This is similar. We aren't privvy to the communications between the artists and Warren, but it could have been more of an asking to be let out of the contract than a telling that i'm out sort of thing....

Doesn't have to be as cold a decision as painted above. Sometimes an opportunity really needs to be taken and can be agreed on by both sides.

right .. lack of integrity is taking up front monies.. then blaming GPS or promoters driving directions(mis-directions) for the no-show.. all the while the artist was seen tooling around oakland with some random females.
May 13, 2013 06:58PM
Daniel

its business. so really integrity doesnt come into play..

Call me old fashion but, I've always believed that "integrity" means fulfilling the agreements you've entered into. Some people might say that it's also good 'business'....

i agree 100%.. however, the man dealt with the situation probably within the bounds of the contract.. i am sure there is a backout clause there for the promoter as well.. so there is integrity in this situation.. again, lack of integrity finds this guy with money in hand, blowing big head on the corner, when he should be at the show.
May 13, 2013 08:40PM
in the grand scheme of things, the SNWMF demographic has zero to no pull when it comes to this man's career.. so in his mind, so what if you all feel a certain way.. when the buzz and meds start flowing, no one will even remember the slighted feeling.. i mean really, does this announcement carry any type of emotion outside of responding to the thread ? will this announcement deter you all from running the man's tunes ? no.. this is a first world problem at best

Is K'naan too big to worry about poor little old Sierra Nevada in furthering his career?

Now I'm all alone..
May 13, 2013 08:43PM
that is not true. K'Naan first buss our west when he was on stage for about 40 minutes at NO ONE (other then those that did) knew who he was. I can see why he would rather do the a movie. I can also see why people would be upset. Yes, his stage show is well worth it.
May 13, 2013 09:25PM
bigvein
HiGrade1
lame.

that said dready dave, ras medi, the nor-cal herbalist collective isnt going to pay this mans bills.. they wont provide for this mans family.. after the man's set and after the high is gone, this man will be totally forgotten. so the backlash and commentary on the man's lack of 'commitment' is only due to some unrealistic ideology.

remember, this is first and foremost the entertainment industry.. you can put the hippy dressing on top of it all you want.. but in the end,its all about maximum amount of money, drugs, and women.. plus most of these guys professing to be down, real, whatever, would probably take 100 backshot just to see a million dollar check..

i'm pretty sure dready dave the norcal herbalist has helped pay this mans bills from the start of his career and will continue to do so as long as he is an "enteratiner" and dready dave continues to listen to music and attend live shows
May 13, 2013 09:27PM
Redwood Rebel
bigvein
HiGrade1
lame.

i'm pretty sure dready dave the norcal herbalist has helped pay this mans bills from the start of his career and will continue to do so as long as he is an "enteratiner" and dready dave continues to listen to music and attend live shows

i talked to bongo brian earlier, and he said everything was cool from his end.. so i left him out of the whole scenario.. just so we have a complete accounting of the whole nor cal collective.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 09:29PM by bigvein.
May 13, 2013 09:29PM
as long as bongo brian pays for his ticket to Sierra Nevada or to Sundance then yes, bongo brian will certainly be helping feed K'naan and his family
May 14, 2013 01:45PM
Long after his show and the high wears off he will be forgotten. He has a NorCal fan base based upon his one big NorCal appearance at reggae on the river. Where he earned many fans. So r full of it.
May 14, 2013 02:21PM
BV is the authority on all things Nor Cal

Now I'm all alone..
May 14, 2013 04:41PM
papaken
BV is the authority on all things Nor Cal

i dont have to be 'an authority' to know a SNWMF snub means nothing to the nor-cal fan base.

i do know the attention span of most these days is on average 1 second.. so his 'snub' will not have one bit of a negative impact on future nor cal shows. i will give you this.. maybe a few boardies will protest a few shows.. but after seeing the rest of the "homies" having fun at these shows, the self-imposed lone united front will fall.. and soon above mentioned boardie will be seen in the crowd, raising one to the sky.

i asked my cousin in EPA what he thought of SNWMF? he said, 'who?'

i then asked about knan.. he said he likes some of this stuff

i would wager thats the sentiment of most knan fans.
May 14, 2013 06:08PM
BV, maybe it's time for you to go smoke one bro......

May 14, 2013 06:15PM
I asked my cousin what EPA is? He said "what is EPA, I don't understand why people feel they need to abbreviate everything like they are on TWITter or something. Must be a third world thing."
May 14, 2013 06:25PM
BV is Intel all the way winking smiley

Now I'm all alone..
May 14, 2013 06:50PM
mulligan
I asked my cousin what EPA is? He said "what is EPA, I don't understand why people feel they need to abbreviate everything like they are on TWITter or something. Must be a third world thing."

epa has been in use from time.. arent you from the bay area ? then you should know..
May 14, 2013 07:03PM
HiGrade1
BV, maybe it's time for you to go smoke one bro......

stopped smoking 6 years ago... when i did smoke it was only two pull at the dance.
May 14, 2013 07:37PM
your cousin works for the Environmental Protection Agency?
Or are you talking E. Palo Alto, where, when I used to hang out there in the 80s, had a KFC with a bulletproof clear glass lazy susan where you'd place your money on it, they'd rotate it in & take your $$ and put the bags on it and then rotate those out to you?
May 14, 2013 07:38PM
seen.

May 14, 2013 07:44PM
bigvein
.. its business. so really integrity doesnt come into play..

???? Seriously?

Please remind me to never do any business with you.

MoreLove,
Treez

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 14, 2013 07:51PM
Stamina!
your cousin works for the Environmental Protection Agency?
Or are you talking E. Palo Alto, where, when I used to hang out there in the 80s, had a KFC with a bulletproof clear glass lazy susan where you'd place your money on it, they'd rotate it in & take your $$ and put the bags on it and then rotate those out to you?

geographic context is nor-cal.. so.........
May 14, 2013 07:52PM
there is a reason why 'business ethics' is a derivative course of study. just saying.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login