SNWMF 2013 Presents - SOJA
May 08, 2013 12:29PM

Headlining on Friday night.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2013 05:17PM by Daniel.
Re: SNWMF 2013 Presents - Soja
May 08, 2013 12:57PM
Just saw this on FB and came over to read what people thought and nobody has said anything. LOL. Guess everyone is planning on being at Downbeat the ruler anyway??
May 08, 2013 01:10PM
Downbeat the Ruler it is winking smiley
May 08, 2013 01:23PM
soja just sold out their entire west coast tour....smart move sierra. i was really surprised anyway to see that k'naan was headlining friday night...does he really have that big of a draw?
May 08, 2013 01:26PM
Soja still shouldn't headline ..
May 08, 2013 01:33PM
SOJA will bring a crowd that other artists might not. Wasnt Rebelution headlining friday night last year? Very similar styles and there music sells. Bend, OR cannot get 100 people to come see a roots reggae legend but Rebelution comes thru and 800 people show up?? It is what the masses want. I would push for Groundation to headline over SOJA but that is just my personal liking of Groundation.
Re: SNWMF 2013 Presents - SOJA
May 08, 2013 02:06PM
All that is true... SOJA will please and brIng out a certain crowd, but I was really looking forward to K'Naan. It's nice every so often to take in a little something different... Again, Bummer.
May 08, 2013 02:09PM
Now there is no reason not to miss Downbeat the Ruler in the dancehall during this time slot!!!

Be well
eric v
May 08, 2013 02:16PM
People on this board may not have many good things to say about SOJA but I guarantee the Valley stage will be packed for this set. Regardless of how you feel about their music, the guys sell out almost every show they do
May 08, 2013 02:36PM
negative - the village stage will be packed for Ras Michael...who really should be on the big stage...
May 08, 2013 03:15PM
Do you recall the draw Rebelution had two years ago? I'm not saying anything negative about Ras Michael or even saying anything about my own musical preference for that matter but Ras Michael at this point in his career couldn't bring as many people to the big stage on a Friday night as SOJA could. That's not saying SOJA is better in any way, but right now they sell a lot of tickets for every show they do and as rossta8888 mentioned above, classic roots aritsts like Ras Michael don't have the drawing power with the younger generations that a mainstream band like SOJA or Rebelution has. I know you hate to hear it, but its the truth my man.

I'm sure Ras Michael's set will be great and the village stage will be packed as well....and the man certainly deserves a packed house
May 08, 2013 04:01PM
Somewhat OT here, but: I'm still scratching my head at the fact that ZZ Top is opening for Kid Rock? And on a tour where tickets are only $20 no less. The times they are a changing... but nice to see some ticket prices I can agree with.

Looking forward to Ras Michael on the village stage

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
May 08, 2013 05:13PM
Who? confused smiley
May 08, 2013 05:43PM
.. Some people into roots music and some into California style music .. That why I love this festival I can go to the other stage to see the roots music..
May 08, 2013 06:57PM
Downbeat headlining in the dancehall!
May 08, 2013 09:27PM
Looking forard to the ruler even more now!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2013 10:54PM by steeleman.
May 08, 2013 10:03PM
Not my cup of tea but I think those bands fit in this festival just fine. I'm all for them being booked. Those acts bring crowds and money to the festival. That in turn allows the festival to bring in more quality reggae artists each year. I count 23 reggae performances that I would like to see this year. Unfortunately, Damian Marley is the only one of those artists who has close to the draw that SOJA does. Acts like SOJA in effect subsidize acts like Keith and Tex, Iqulah, Stranger Cole, etc..

The cup runneth over so much this year that you can choose between Ras Michael and Downbeat the Ruler if you don't want to see SOJA. I'm bummed to not be able to see some of K'naan's set but at least I can stop trying to figure out how to be in three places at one time. It's much easier to bounce back and forth from the dancehall to the Village stage.

May 08, 2013 10:13PM
Its downbeat by a mile!
May 08, 2013 10:42PM
I might check a likkle SOJA, I like to drop this tune now and again. The lyrics are nice.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 08, 2013 11:28PM
danny crucial must be frickin' stoked!

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
May 08, 2013 11:34PM
niceup
Those acts bring crowds and money to the festival. That in turn allows the festival to bring in more quality reggae artists each year. I count 23 reggae performances that I would like to see this year. Unfortunately, Damian Marley is the only one of those artists who has close to the draw that SOJA does. Acts like SOJA in effect subsidize acts like Keith and Tex, Iqulah, Stranger Cole, etc..

Very good point.
May 09, 2013 07:39AM
You can say many things about SOJA, but as a reggae promoter I would put them up against any other JA reggae act and they will sell more tickets here in the US. Even The Green is selling out more tickets than most JA reggae acts. Damian Marley's manager contacted The Green to team up on a show because they didn't want to compete on the same night in the same town. That says HUGE things.
I say BIG UPS to my friends SOJA. Ive liked them for about the past 10 years, done many shows with them. They are stand up guys, great musicians, and they deserve the to headline Friday Night. Im just glad that Sierra Nevada is giving them the opportunity they deserve.
May 09, 2013 10:06AM
here's a recent song of soja's w j boog and mixed by jr blender.......(plays much better on a loud system with some bass)

[url=

][/url]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2013 10:10AM by treez.
May 11, 2013 03:32AM
I agree with Daniel. No dis respect to any artist on the bill for SNWMF but as far as sold-out shows goes, SOJA is 1ST n The Green is 2ND. The numbers actually speak, louder then words. LOVE both bands and have friends in each. IT"S ALL ABOUT BEING, 1 PEOPLE! See you soon.
May 11, 2013 06:49AM
Dammit, now my 15 year old daughter is gonna want to come, too...
May 12, 2013 05:02AM
I love konshens!
May 14, 2013 02:41PM
I did not realize that Ras Michael was on the smaller stage friday night. Never seen him. I know where I will be!! No disprespect to SOJA, I saw them in Philly 3 years ago when I flew there to watch a Manchester United match and SOJA was playing same night. Fun show, great musicians but I cannot miss a reggae legend like Ras Michael. Downbeat would be fun but I am stoked for Jah Shacka later that night.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login