Top 10 Underrated artists in reggae
May 11, 2013 07:20PM
The Encyclopedia of Reggae:
The Golden Age of Roots Reggae
by Mike Alleyne with foreword by Sly Dunbar

[www.amazon.com]

Re: Top 10 Underrated artists in reggae
May 11, 2013 10:55PM
Wow, that's a tough list for you to be included in....big up yaself twilight/Ryan! I promise not to miss u the next time u roll thru Seattle. Keep doing your thing, it's always pure niceness.
May 12, 2013 01:49AM
Let me throw in with a few artists who haven't gotten their fair share of acclaim: Milton Henry, Iqulah, Lymie Murray and Ras Midas.
May 12, 2013 05:58AM
Add to those Earl Zero, Kulcha Knox and Rusty Zinn..
AJ
May 12, 2013 12:57PM
Black Slate....thumbs up
I had 1 or 2 of their albums back in the early 80's. Irie reggae from England.
May 12, 2013 05:40PM
Chalice is definitely bad ass, sorry no other word comes to mind.. Those dudes were bad!!!
May 12, 2013 10:35PM
Joseph Cotton
Clinton Fearon
Teddy Dan
May 13, 2013 06:01PM
Vince Black
Rusty Zinn
Herb Daly
Shaka Man
Wadi Gad
Anna Fisher
Clinton Fearon
Bryan Atkinson
Abu Gary World Blues Band
Marcia Higgs,

To name a few

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
May 13, 2013 07:14PM
ziggy marley
May 13, 2013 07:17PM
BLAKKAMOORE, Jahdan
May 13, 2013 07:25PM
Jah Sun

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 13, 2013 08:17PM
Got to agree with Herb, bout Kulcha Knox & Lymie Murray! Also off the top of my head would add, Mikey General, Army & Macka B.... there are so many more, but like I said these came first to the top of my head.
May 13, 2013 08:41PM
Tiken Jah Fakoly
Lucky Dube (RIP)
Busy Signal

As to Busy, I don't think people realize how talented this cat is...IMO
May 13, 2013 09:31PM
Misty in Roots for sure....I'm alway ssurprised at how many reggae fans know little to nothing about these guys
May 13, 2013 09:39PM
Black Roots, Jr. Ross and the Spear, Ranking Ann, Sandra Cross, Lovejoys, John Clarke*

The OP list is pretty good. Although I think anybody who knows Reggae would rate Keith Hudson pretty highly. Misty in Roots was one of my favorite SNWMF headliners ever.

*not Johnnie Clarke

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2013 10:43PM by Jah Mike.
May 13, 2013 10:04PM

This John Clarke, Jah Mike?

Now I'm all alone..
May 13, 2013 10:45PM
That's him, papken!
May 13, 2013 11:08PM
This is one of my favorite choons of the mid 70s...and a legitimate candidate for a post in the other thread about definitive roots tracks:

May 14, 2013 12:59AM
Native Roots

Roots Rock Rez Reggae from the original peoples of this land & 1 of the most crucial band on this planet

====<><><><>====

www.nativeroots.net
May 14, 2013 09:04AM
Peacemakeya
Native Roots

Roots Rock Rez Reggae from the original peoples of this land & 1 of the most crucial band on this planet

====<><><><>====

www.nativeroots.net

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
May 14, 2013 01:28PM
May 14, 2013 07:43PM
Agreed, Jahdan Blakkamoore and Busy Signal are waaaaay under-rated.
May 14, 2013 09:35PM
I was coming to say Kulcha Knox and Army are the first two that come to my head but they are covered. I think that Batch should get some more love for how good he truly is. His last album started to get the credit he deserves.
May 14, 2013 10:33PM
I know this gonna sound weird, but Stephen Marley. Before you react, think about the fact that when most think of Marley's sons, they think of Damian or Ziggy. IMO Stephen is the most talented. Stephen was co lead vox in Ziggy Marley & Melody Makers, and even sang lead on that Sugar Pie clip from 1982 that was well known. He also produced the majority of Damian's material. So Stephen essentially has all the Grammy's that Ziggy and Damian have plus two of his own. You may say that is not underated, but as I mentioned, Ziggy and Damian get all the attention. Incidentally, he sounds the most like Bob as well.

MoreLove,
Treez

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
May 14, 2013 10:38PM
Of the Marley's I also think Stephen is the most talented musically, especially as a producer
May 14, 2013 10:40PM
I was a huge fan of Misty & Roots / Black Slate 'back in the day'!

Who can deny these tunes are killa:

Misty & Roots / Wise and Foolish

BLack Slate - Sticks Man

May 14, 2013 10:54PM
DJ Treez
I know this gonna sound weird, but Stephen Marley. Before you react, think about the fact that when most think of Marley's sons, they think of Damian or Ziggy. IMO Stephen is the most talented. Stephen was co lead vox in Ziggy Marley & Melody Makers, and even sang lead on that Sugar Pie clip from 1982 that was well known. He also produced the majority of Damian's material. So Stephen essentially has all the Grammy's that Ziggy and Damian have plus two of his own. You may say that is not underated, but as I mentioned, Ziggy and Damian get all the attention. Incidentally, he sounds the most like Bob as well.

MoreLove,
Treez

I agree. I'm a big Damian fan but Stephen's production skills combined with his vocal talents in both backing on his brothers albums and his own collection I'd agree that he is underrated. Plus when he covers Bob in his live shows it is the closest anyone can get to a an actual Bob show (and we've all seen countless Bob covers by countless artists)
May 14, 2013 11:23PM
IMO Stephen is the most talented Marley. Yep!!!
May 15, 2013 07:02PM
I'd have to argue that the whole reggae genre is seriously underrated and under-represented in today's music world, whether on the radio, TV or any other media, considering what it's contributed to modern music in general. Arguably, dub, hip-hop, drum & bass, jungle, house and quite a few more directly derived their inspiration from reggae. That's not even mentioning the obvious influences on one of the west coast's most popular music genres, "Cali-reggae".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2013 07:03PM by Stamina!.
May 15, 2013 07:53PM
Stamina!
I'd have to argue that the whole reggae genre is seriously underrated and under-represented in today's music world, whether on the radio, TV or any other media, considering what it's contributed to modern music in general. Arguably, dub, hip-hop, drum & bass, jungle, house and quite a few more directly derived their inspiration from reggae. That's not even mentioning the obvious influences on one of the west coast's most popular music genres, "Cali-reggae".

Best response to what is a really great thread! Big up yuhself, Stamina!
May 16, 2013 03:27AM
The Prez....11:40AM set time at ROTR 2013....nuff said...
May 16, 2013 04:09AM
Yes, Stephen's the one who sounds most like his dad and is most musical of the Marley Family Singers, but I don't think any of the Marleys are underrated by the general public, compared to the artists who've been laboring for decades in ill-deserved anonymity.
May 16, 2013 04:36AM
Stamina!
Yes, Stephen's the one who sounds most like his dad and is most musical of the Marley Family Singers, but I don't think any of the Marleys are underrated by the general public, compared to the artists who've been laboring for decades in ill-deserved anonymity.
WORD!!!!
AJ
May 16, 2013 10:27AM
FLEXIMIX
I was a huge fan of Misty & Roots / Black Slate 'back in the day'!

BLack Slate - Sticks Man

It has been a long time since I've heard this Black Slate song or any Black Slate. Love it. Play it again........................
Thanks thumbs up
May 16, 2013 04:05PM
Good to see the Roots Controllers "Misty in Roots" on that list. Their records are hard to find. Add early ASWAD to that list too.
May 16, 2013 06:20PM

Now I'm all alone..
May 16, 2013 06:32PM
I definitely think Army is underrated. The man has some quality material. Agree with Stamina that reggae in general gets overlooked as a genre. And I would like to add Everton Blender, he seems to have flown a bit under the radar his whole career.

Ninja, I never considered Lucky Dube underrated, he seems to have fans world wide! I just started listening to Busy Signal, and yes he has been overlooked...

And just for J-72.... Midnite! winking smiley
May 16, 2013 06:48PM
My favorite MIR...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2013 06:49PM by J_72.
May 16, 2013 06:56PM
May 17, 2013 12:36PM
'Follow Fashion' is what intro'd me to Misty In Roots circa 1988 or 89? Still play it alot. I thought 'this is what Rock against racsim is all about.'

Now I'm all alone..
May 17, 2013 03:52PM
One of my favorite MIR tracks (and yes they've been seriously underrated over the years):

AKA
May 17, 2013 04:11PM
My favorite from MIR -

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2013 05:55PM by AKA.
May 17, 2013 05:51PM
Here are 2 of the above mentioned artists, coming out of the '90s on Star Trail
Both of them will be at Beneficial Reggae in July, hope we get to see this live!

May 17, 2013 09:37PM
Under-rated (often laughably) in the world at large, as well as American reggae circles; not in Jamaica, no particular order---and off the top of my head:

1. Peter Metro
2. General Trees
3. Delroy Wilson
4. George Faith
5. Little Roy
6. John Holt
7. Techniques
8. Slim Smith
9. Jackie Opel
10. Ken Parker

And needless to say, an enormity of fine microphone MCs/Dee-Jays/Toasters-On-The Mike, who can rock the house free-style way better than the vast majority of their hiphop counterparts.
May 18, 2013 11:23AM
Carlton Coffie......solo and as Inner Circle lead singer
May 18, 2013 03:02PM

Now I'm all alone..
May 18, 2013 03:14PM

Now I'm all alone..
AJ
May 18, 2013 04:56PM
papa ray
4. George Faith
And needless to say, an enormity of fine microphone MCs/Dee-Jays/Toasters-On-The Mike, who can rock the house free-style way better than the vast majority of their hiphop counterparts.
here's 3...................
Ranking Joe
Trinity
U Brown

George Faith ~ I always have a George Faith cd on my trips to JA. You'll make a lot of Jamaican friends fast. It seems they don't hear much of Mr. Faith in Jamaica anymore.
May 18, 2013 07:40PM
John Holt's played packed concert halls in the UK, backed by the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. I don't think he's underrated in the reggae world. Now, in the general world of pop music, he certainly is, but so is reggae as a whole.

Big people music!

May 20, 2013 06:32AM
sorry, meant to be a PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2013 06:33AM by Stamina!.
May 29, 2013 05:04PM
I think I need to add MESSENJAH SELAH to this list. I guess I am feeling this way extra right now, as he is doing this little run with Chuck Fenda, and Im seeing so much damn hype round Fenda, while Selah is being put out there on the promo, like he just some little opening act for the 'living fire'. Now this is just my opinion (though I know for a fact Im not alone) that when you take the hype away and look at true talent when it comes to lyrics, melody and ability... I dont think there is much question on the matter! Now I am not saying Chuck is a bad artist, though honestly the most fire he has stirred in me, is the annoyance I been feeling bout the lack of balance in the presentation of this run of shows. And yes as many of you may know, Selah is my friend, but it is a bigger issue that I defend, it is the recognition of true talent over glam and hype!
Ok, guess I needed to vent a little - lol, but seriously, some of you must agree!?! And like I said before, this is just one case that has me fired up right now, so much real talent out there, as is the point of this thread.
May 29, 2013 06:02PM
Chuck Fender moved my soul inna live shoe more than once. Selah enough Respect did not even come close, ever.
May 29, 2013 06:05PM
Speaking of locals.....Yow the man Luv Fyah waaaaay under-rated!!!!!!!
May 29, 2013 07:07PM
Yes Luv Fyah has talent and vibes for sure, always enjoy seeing him and working with him. The name suits him, he comes with both Luv and Fyah!
May 29, 2013 07:44PM
9. Soul Syndicate

They are even underrated on that list of 10. Maybe it's because they were also called The Aggrovators, The Observers, The Ark Angels, etc.

They recorded thousands of great songs, some only released on 45.

Here's just a sampling of LPs-
D. Brown, Abyssinians, Johnny Clarke, Max Romeo, Cornel Campbell.....
May 30, 2013 12:25PM
I have to disagree with Treez calling JahSUN under-rated. He definitely makes my over-rated list. IMHO Ishi Dube is better and more original. I think Rocker T is under-rated as one of few american reggae acts to make my playlist. and Pressure asunder-rated but I m no expert only a listener.
May 30, 2013 07:26PM
Stamina, thanks for that John Holt selection....

the Bojangles especially when they go into the course reminded me a lot of this (also very sweet) song.

[url=

][/url]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2013 07:31PM by treez.
May 30, 2013 09:39PM

Now I'm all alone..
May 30, 2013 09:45PM
Kevin kinsella solo.....not all reggae, but great stuff
May 30, 2013 09:57PM

Now I'm all alone..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2013 11:21PM by papaken.
May 31, 2013 01:02AM
randomguy2u
I have to disagree with Treez calling JahSUN under-rated. He definitely makes my over-rated list. IMHO Ishi Dube is better and more original. I think Rocker T is under-rated as one of few american reggae acts to make my playlist. and Pressure asunder-rated but I m no expert only a listener.

Nuff respek to Ishi and Rocker T, but no. Admittedly, Jah Sun is me breddah but I feel his lyrics and delivery are top notch and he has a lot to contribute. The man has put in his dues and the fact that you rate those respectable artistes over him proves my point. While Jah Sun gets lots of love in Europe (touring with Kabaka Pyramid this summer and playing at a lot of big Euro Festies) and in JA (they seem to like to cover him at The Observer and play him on the radio and vids on TV), he still is underrated in his homeland of Cali.

Check the lyrics on this track.

https://soundcloud.com/jahsunmusic/01-dis-ya-time

May 31, 2013 01:07AM
If you're talking about deceased artists like Bim, then I agree. Here's another who's passed and all but forgotten except to those who knew his works back in the day, who'll never forget him:

May 31, 2013 09:52PM
Yes Haile, I definitely agree that M-Selah and Luv Fyah get slept on. Big up the local artists!
June 03, 2013 03:41PM
I also agree with you Haile Bless. I dont own any Messager Selah albums but I have many compilations with him and every song he does is so nice. Any albums you recommend? I love the Luv Fyah album you sent.
June 05, 2013 03:17PM
June 05, 2013 05:42PM
I am REALLY digging this thread!thumbs up
June 05, 2013 09:38PM

Ride On Rasses

Now I'm all alone..
June 06, 2013 01:38AM
Yes Boss, Milton Henry never get nuff respect!
June 06, 2013 02:02AM
Messenjah Selah is definatley my favorite slept on local artist.
June 06, 2013 02:29AM
Agreed Stam, Barry Brown is probably the epitome of this thread.
AJ
June 06, 2013 02:55AM
Yes to Barry Brown.
Also Richie Spice ...... he went from hot to cool..........funny how we throw artists away after a year or two........imo Richie Spice the best artist from the 2000's.

Also..........Big up to Blue Riddim!
June 06, 2013 03:23AM
Def. in the Underrated category...

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
June 06, 2013 04:34AM
Viceroys are still around too..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login