Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A bottle thrown at Toots.....

Posted by akee123 
A bottle thrown at Toots.....
May 19, 2013 07:35PM
Toots got hit by a glass bottle in Richmond last night and had to cancel the remainder of his show. Some jerk was arrested for throwing it.

Sad news.
Re: A bottle thrown at Toots.....
May 19, 2013 08:12PM
May 20, 2013 12:58AM
The latest news is he is fine and recovering. According to the article below, it was a stolen vodka bottle.

[www.rollingstone.com]
May 20, 2013 03:22AM
this wasnt a random fling which happened in a bout of drunkenness.

it was totally premeditated and planned out, as the guy had to FIRST procure a glass bottle from the bar.. a bottle only used by the staff to pour in glass cups.
May 20, 2013 08:56AM
I still remember the Reading Festival in 1976. U Roy and the Might Diamonds were both stoned by the crowd and booed. Promoters Virgin Records had picked the wrong venue, the Reading Festival featured hard rock and heavy metal. Reggae was the last thing this headbanging crowd of leathered and chained youth wanted to hear.

Reel
May 20, 2013 03:34PM
there must have been at least 10 people who saw who threw this....everyone standing around the jerkoff would have seen him wind up and throw the bottle.
May 20, 2013 03:58PM
it was some 19-yo. I heard he was quickly arrested.

btw - isn't throwing bottles at performers a tradition at shows down in JA?
May 20, 2013 04:19PM
treez

Only if the crowd feels the artist deserves it, if their performance (or behavior to the audience) is insulting. Toots is one of the warmest, nicest, most talented people you'll ever meet. He puts on a clinic on how to please a crowd every show he does. There was absolutely no reason for this drunken f*** to bokkle-fling. Right now, he's a special guest of the correctional system. But when/if he gets out, he'd be strongly advised to seek lodging in an out-of-town motel for awhile, seeing as how the local paper made his name and approximate address public record.
May 20, 2013 04:55PM
Stamina!
treez

Only if the crowd feels the artist deserves it, if their performance (or behavior to the audience) is insulting. Toots is one of the warmest, nicest, most talented people you'll ever meet. He puts on a clinic on how to please a crowd every show he does. There was absolutely no reason for this drunken f*** to bokkle-fling. Right now, he's a special guest of the correctional system. But when/if he gets out, he'd be strongly advised to seek lodging in an out-of-town motel for awhile, seeing as how the local paper made his name and approximate address public record.

Given the area I doubt the offender has anything to worry about

Now if Miami, atl, or bmore, then yeah. But in kkk country not much
May 20, 2013 05:18PM
for what its worth - my friends worked w toots at a venue in dc and he acted like a complete asshole. the guy is an amazing talent, but i definitely wouldnt call him the warmest, nicest guy ever.

big vein - are you implying there wouldve been some sort of "hood" element at a toots show in b-more, atl or mia that would've dealt with this bottle thrower? cause thats honestly far from reality. toots crowds are white in dc, baltimore, richmond, and im certain in atl and miami too. you ever been to richmond, va? theres a huge black population and alot of seriously ruff hoods and these folks arent going to see toots and the maytals.
May 20, 2013 05:40PM
bigvein
Stamina!
treez

Given the area I doubt the offender has anything to worry about

Now if Miami, atl, or bmore, then yeah. But in kkk country not much

LOTS of black folks live out that way bv. He could all get shanked up by a fellow inmate as easily as anything else. My recommendation still stands.
May 20, 2013 05:50PM
follow-up
Toots is amazing! It would be very difficult for me to be so forgiving in similar circumstances...
“He was lucid. He was laughing. He was tired obviously. He had had a very long day. … He was one of the nicest men I ever met.”
May 20, 2013 05:56PM
Treez I've been in Toots' opening act at least a half dozen times, and have nothing to go on but my own experience in meeting the man. Invariably he was a joy to be around. Not sure what happened to your friend but it sounds very atypical. As for the Richmond demographics, I'm with you there on that one. Woe be unto this guy if the black inmates there find out he busted up a black guy with a bottle.
May 20, 2013 05:59PM
treez
for what its worth - my friends worked w toots at a venue in dc and he acted like a complete asshole. the guy is an amazing talent, but i definitely wouldnt call him the warmest, nicest guy ever.

big vein - are you implying there wouldve been some sort of "hood" element at a toots show in b-more, atl or mia that would've dealt with this bottle thrower? cause thats honestly far from reality. toots crowds are white in dc, baltimore, richmond, and im certain in atl and miami too. you ever been to richmond, va? theres a huge black population and alot of seriously ruff hoods and these folks arent going to see toots and the maytals.

it was suggested that an 'after-party' thing may take place.. so that is the context of my comment..
May 20, 2013 07:51PM
Stamina- your experience far outweighs my secondhand recount (though i'm sure its credible). Anyway, without providing more gossipy comments, perhaps he was having a bad day and got rude...

Anyway, I definitely appreciate the trail that Toots blazed in reggae music. I also appreciate that he's never felt a need to conform to rasta ideology, or claim rasta just to fit in...
May 20, 2013 07:55PM
Stamina!
Treez I've been in Toots' opening act at least a half dozen times, and have nothing to go on but my own experience in meeting the man. Invariably he was a joy to be around. Not sure what happened to your friend but it sounds very atypical.

+1, & then some.

Two months ago I was paying respects to Mr. Hibbert, and I now recall the burly/beefy/ biker-looking professional bus driver saying to me

I've been doing this a long time, and I've hauled some of the biggest stars around---let me tell you, these are THE NICEST people I've ever driven for!

I wasn't surprised.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login