fast times @ reggae high
June 21, 2013 09:05AM

Oblex wrote: ntroducing "Dub Rockers" a new compilation that pairs American based reggae bands with
Jamaican reggae vocalists. Bridging the gap and highlighting the similarities between the two
scenes. The bond is the music and sharing the universal message of One Love.
RELEASE DATE: August 2013
Re: fast times @ reggae high
June 21, 2013 02:47PM
its seems to me thats the collab that people are looking for if they are looking for it.......JA got the vocals on lock.....run riddim
June 21, 2013 03:38PM
There they go throwing the word dub in for no good reason. I bet there are zero dub mixes on this compilation, it's definitely not focused on that style, so why use the word dub in the title? This practice is really bothersome to someone who actually mixes dub versions and loves real dub.
June 21, 2013 03:41PM
Fast Times at Reggae High would be a much better title for this comp. Adam, much more creative, funny and attention grabbing as well.
June 21, 2013 07:31PM
DubOrganic
There they go throwing the word dub in for no good reason. I bet there are zero dub mixes on this compilation, it's definitely not focused on that style, so why use the word dub in the title? This practice is really bothersome to someone who actually mixes dub versions and loves real dub.

'dub' is used to refer to one-drop style amongst the west indians in this area..

mainly those from stx...
June 21, 2013 09:35PM
The only "dub" mix on the album is the Bad Brains/Fishbone combination. All the others are vocal tracks. We do have some dub projects lined up for the Dub Rockers imprint.

The album has been in the works much longer than the title or album cover concept. Vans found out about the project and wanted to get involved as they liked the idea of bringing the two scenes together. We thought we would play up that aspect of the album promotion and parody the Fast Times cover. (Vans is actually doing a Dub Rockers shoe as well.)

Dub Rockers is not just a compilation. The idea is really to be a new imprint under the VP Records umbrella which focuses on bands, both Jamaican, and non-Jamaican.
June 21, 2013 11:42PM
bigvein: I think most people (of any ethnicity/ nation) aware of one drop know what dub is - as in (re)mixing process. One drop rhythm is used in many reggae styles not just dubby tunes so I don't overstand that definition, thanks for knowledge though. The term dub is also used to refer to dubplate as in specials (used to mean one-away mixes cut on acetate/ soft wax, now usually a digital exclusive), but really the foundation, original meaning of dub is to record a (re)mix of a tune live with effects, dropouts, instrumental versions, etc. It started in Jamaica obviously with reggae music being remixed, most people into reggae should be familiar with dub as in mixing process and I think the majority of people who use this board are familiar with that original definition, hopefully and from what I can tell.
There is a lot of confusion of this term and misleading marketing/ b(r)and names/ compilations etc using the term dub with little to no dub in their program. Many young people today are more familiar with dubstep than dub and this is very frustrating to someone who loves original dub styles and practices the art of dub, mixing reggae music live on a console in real time.

Jahmikey:
As a fan and artist when I see dub in the title I want to hear dub mixes, if it's heavyweight rub-a-dub that's even better. I hope the new label exposes some dub, link up if you want to hear new Texas/ JA hybrids we have been working on in the lab here .

Long live dub and long live SNWMF!! Jah Shaka and Prince Fatty will be playing dubs mixed in the roots tradition this weekend for anyone in need of dub education and/ or uplifting musical vibes smiling smiley
June 24, 2013 07:01PM
DubOrganic:
Actually, 2 of the 10 tracks are dub tracks others are vocal. I know exactly what you mean though. One of my aims is to educate people definitely. I had an interesting experience in California Roots Festival. We were selling music and a kid (18-20) picked up a Evolution of Dub box set (Tubbys & Joe Gibbs productions) and asked me if it was a reggae version of dub step.. smiling smiley

Give thanks for the input.

email me @ michaelm@vprecords.com re: some of your mixes. Always interested to hear new music.

Respect.
June 25, 2013 12:59AM
For years I've wondered why most all the USA bands with "dub" in their names play little or no actual dub...and I'm still wondering. There are exceptions, such as Dub Syndicate, but any such 'dub' bands that don't play dub reggae should lose their reggae license, because they apparently don't under (or over)stand it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login