Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Midnite: West Coast Late Night Ghetto Session ∆∆∆ Oakland ∆∆∆ 7-4-13

Posted by peaceloveandlight 
Midnite: West Coast Late Night Ghetto Session ∆∆∆ Oakland ∆∆∆ 7-4-13
June 21, 2013 10:08AM
The New Parish & Peace Love and Light Presents
Midnite Live and Direct Roots Reggae from the V.I.
West Coast Late Night Ghetto Session

This summer on July 4th 2013 Midnite returns to bless The New Parish on a musical journey, this time into the early morning taking people on a deep meditation of sound and lyrical depth with no curfew to stop the flow and vibrations

Warming up the night will be very special guests Inner Standing Sound running a custom 5-20kw hand built roots dub sound system with Peter Lionheart and Rumi Q at the control tower and Luv Fyah and other local guests pon de mic ina a traditional form of reggae and dub music fashion

Live Painting by Jonathan Solter and more TBA

Vending area, Ital Food and much much more

Tickets are $25adv $30 door

Come early and enjoy dinner at Hibiscus Restaurant onsite

BLESSINGS

Click Here To RSVP to Facebook Event and up to date info

Click Here For Tickets

Time is not counted from daylight but from Midnite...
Hailing from St Croix, Virgin Islands

Lead singer Vaughn Benjamin's electrifying voice seems an amalgamation of many great voices in reggae-soulful, chanting, edgy. Vaughn's potent lyrical style and his brother Ron Benjamin's exquisite production, vocals, dub, arrangements, keyboard & bass musical arragements form the nucleus of this musical - rootsy heavy sound, which includes:
Christian Molina (drums), Edmund Fieulleteau (guitar), Edwin Byron (guitar) and Ras L (keyboards).

Midnite weaves the cultural lyrics of "old school" roots music with modern day experiences to create a unique listening encounter. Roots Reggae - naked and raw is an apt description for Midnite's musical style, in which they forgo the frills of extensive remixes, overdubbing and other musical refinements.

"Unpolished" is the title of their debut album which includes such classics as "Don't Move", "Mama Africa", and "Love the Life You Live". Originally released in 1997, while the band was located in Washington, DC.

In 1999, Midnite linked up with Wildchild! Records for their second release "Ras Mek Peace". Incredibly, this album was recorded using only two channels and was mastered without any reverb, filtering, compression or equalization. Songs like "Hieroglyphics", in which graffiti is likened to ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics, showcase the intelligent songwriting that pervades all of Midnite's works.

Following the release of Ras Mek Peace, Midnite returned to live in St. Croix so that they could work with the local musicians and make recordings at their African Roots Lab without any outside interference. The fruits of these labours can be found on their third album "Jubilees of Zion", which was released on their independent Afrikan Roots Lab record label. The expansive, hypnotic rhythms continue, alongside the messages of peace, universal brotherhood, and cultural resistance to Babylon.

In June 2002, Midnite made their Northern California debut at the 9th Annual Sierra Nevada World Music Festival. That same month saw the release of Midnite's fourth album "Seek Knowledge Before Vengeance". Released on their Afrikan Roots Lab record label, this album raises the bar of cultural roots reggae, as we know it today.

Midnite explodes in live performances with sets that often exceed 3 hours. Their vigorous, weighty sound, driven by the punchy bass lines creates a vibe that penetrates straight to the heart. These epic musical communions have earned Midnite an enormous following throughout the reggae community.

By breaking all the rules, Midnite is setting a new standard. Armed with a firm foundation in Jah Rastafari, their natural talents, and a strong and uncompromising musical vision, Midnite champions a unique sound that is on the cutting edge of modern roots music.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2013 04:39PM by Daniel.
Re: Midnite: WEST COAST LATE NIGHT GHETTO SESSION ∆∆∆ Oakland ∆∆∆ 7-4-13
June 21, 2013 05:02PM
Interesting, sounds like 2001 vibez
June 21, 2013 09:12PM
Very Excited!!! Sounds like a great night! Midnite!!!
June 26, 2013 04:34PM
Hey Peace, Love and Light.

I am making the drive from Bend, OR for this show and the Petaluma show. I am curious about the late night part. Is this going to be later than the typical curfew at the New Parish?? I am buying my tickets today. Anyone know where I can buy my Petaluma ticket?? If I am making the 10 hour drive I like to have ticket in hand.

SO EXCITED TO SEE MIDNITE AGAIN!!!
Re: Midnite: West Coast Late Night Ghetto Session ∆∆∆ Oakland ∆∆∆ 7-4-13
June 26, 2013 04:50PM
From the Facebook event: "This summer on July 4th 2013 Midnite returns to bless The New Parish on a musical journey, this time into the early morning taking people on a deep meditation of sound and lyrical depth with no curfew to stop the flow and vibrations."

Unbelievably excited for this show!
June 26, 2013 05:15PM

"This summer on July 4th 2013 Midnite returns to bless The New Parish on a musical journey, this time into the early morning taking people on a deep meditation of sound and lyrical depth with no curfew to stop the flow and vibrations."

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer but, by law, a club that serves alcohol MUST close by 2am. It IS true that Oakland DOES have a "late-night permit" process in place for such establishments, but that only allows those venues to remain open until 4am (alcohol sales must cease by 2). I note that New Parish's web site says nothing about it going after hours, only that doors open at 9 and show at 10.

MIKEN: Please look into this and then report back to us as I would hate to have another Midnite over New Parish show where the 'headlining' band (which loves to play for 3+ hours) gets the same 90 minute set they got in 2011......
June 26, 2013 05:37PM
New Parish does have an after hours permit to stay open til 4AM .... Reggae Gold goes til 4AM every month and my party this Saturday will be going til 3AM ....
June 26, 2013 06:24PM

New Parish does have an after hours permit to stay open til 4AM

That may be true but 'permit to stay open til 4AM' and 'no curfew to stop the flow and vibrations' are 2 very different things and one should not advertise the latter if the former is what is going to be the reality on 7/4....
June 26, 2013 09:15PM
Thanks for looking into all this Daniel. Since I am coming from Bend, OR I would really like to know. I would still come if they were only getting a 90 minute set but would want to know that before hand. If I came thinking I was seeing 3+ hours of Midnite only to see 90 minutes I would be very dissapointed.
June 27, 2013 11:29PM
to clarify all this
we actually have a hard curfew of 5 am not 4am for sound at the new parish, and yes bar closes at 2, but Midnite will set stage at 12 am SHARP and perform as long as they feel, with no curfew to stop them unless they decide to want to play over 5 hours, that i do not think they will do. the past few times they have done the late night ghetto session in new york they play for about 3.5 to 4 hours max so the venues curfew should not stop them or affect the show, so that is my reasoning for "'no curfew to stop the flow and vibrations" statement.

also @ Daniel those past shows in 2011 you mentioned about were fundraisers for a local organization United Roots that works with inner city youth educating them about music,video, graphic design and healthy living and we had support artists from them and one local cali based artist i would pick that would resonate musically with Midnite's performance. and yes led for the shows start later then intended... In the case of this upcoming show on july 4th, there are no LIVE band openers so it will make the nights time flow correctly we are very honored to showcase the first ever Bay Area performance of INNER STANDING SOUND SANCTUARY, feat Peter Lionheart, Rumi Q and the vocal works of Luv Fyah and more artists to touch the mic through out the night on a hand built dub audio style sound system

bless
June 28, 2013 12:56AM

we are very honored to showcase the first ever Bay Area performance of INNER STANDING SOUND SANCTUARY, feat Peter Lionheart, Rumi Q and the vocal works of Luv Fyah and more artists to touch the mic through out the night on a hand built dub audio style sound system

bless

Not going to lie. Im huge Midnite fan and see them almost every time they come around. I was on the fence about this one since I have to work the 4th and the 5th. After hearing that these cats were opening I bought my ticket.
June 28, 2013 06:27PM
I'm definitely looking forward to this! Midnite on Inter-Dependence Day! Can't ask for more. My prediction is they play "White Collar Criminal". Any other guesses?
June 28, 2013 06:49PM
yes yes Reggabe! White Collar Criminal!!! Would love to link up with you at the show in Oakland. You going to go to the Petaluma show??

I am hoping to see High Places of Anu and Begin the Day. Just saw they were added to ONe Love fesival saturday night in Ojai,CA. Where is that. i am not going home until sunday the 7th. I can see a 3rd night of MIDNITE!!! WOOHOO!

Cannot wait!!!
June 28, 2013 06:50PM
Ojai in in so cal

Love that reggae!
June 28, 2013 06:54PM
Thanks Nomo! You would think I would know that being a freight broker. LOL. Never moved a load to that part of SO Cal. Looks like I will only be seeing two sets. Thanks NOMO.

See you 4th of July
June 29, 2013 02:22AM
Hopefully there's either BART or AC Transit so I can get to the show!
June 29, 2013 07:08PM
Yeah Rossta, I'll be at the Oakland show only. Ojai is a beautiful place that I just visited a couple years ago. Would love to see Midnite perform there as it is a spiritual power spot!
June 29, 2013 09:08PM
timnuoa
Hopefully there's either BART or AC Transit so I can get to the show!

Timnuoa where do you live. I'm driving to San Fran Wednesday. Staying with a buddy in the sunset district there. We will head over to Oakland around 10pm 4th of July. Maybe we can grab you if you close in San Fran.
June 30, 2013 03:05AM
I'm in berkeley unfortunately, I really appreciate the offer though.
June 30, 2013 10:38AM
Why is it a "Ghetto Session"? Because it's in Oakland?
June 30, 2013 04:22PM
C'mon now Chimino. It is referring to Midnite's song "Late Night Ghetto".
July 01, 2013 04:07PM
Everyone getting ready in the bay for this amazing set???
July 02, 2013 03:42PM
Saw a post on FB that Tippy of IGrade is just finished up a new MIDNITE album!! Going to be a good summer with ARL release and an IGrade release!
July 03, 2013 03:41AM
Yes Family and crew...

We looking forward to the vibes this Thorsday...

Heavyweight Sound System Vibrations... Vintage roots, digital, and some militant steppers all played with sweetness and weight through the new stacks.

Get ready for some heavy selections and the bredren Luv Fyah chanting out full vibes and energy...

Make sure to get there at a reasonable hour to catch some of the vibes as midnite will be coming on at midnite...

Look forward to seeing ones there and at other upcoming events...

Love and Respect

July 03, 2013 05:30PM
Respect to all the promoters of this show and Lionheart Sounds! Really looking forward to this one, it's been since ROTR 2012 that I last saw Midnite. Also ready to check out this Inner Standing Sound Sanctuary with the much under-rated artist Luv Fyah!

Rossta88, I don't know when I'll be showing up or what I'll be wearing, but would be nice to meet ya. I'll be the 5'9 middle-aged white guy who looks somewhat out of place, lol!

Bless Up!
July 03, 2013 10:45PM
BOOM getting excited this is something we have been trying to bring to the people for a long time !!!

a True dub soundsystem event in the bay and midnite playing after hours what more can one ask on a bassdependance day

give thanks and praise
July 04, 2013 12:11AM
Of course I'm in Utah for the next week...sigh. Been waiting for a Midnite show in the area for a long time and this one is going to be special. sad smiley

Have a great time everyone. Hopefully NoMo is going and will be allowed to film.

Bless
July 04, 2013 04:07AM
Oh my goodness I want to make this sooo bad. I might come through for some early vibes, but not sure if I can make it past 1AM. Got an early and long days both Friday and Saturday. Looks to be a well nice time for sure.....Bless up Lionheart Sound everytime. Rasta Planter and Hold your own still get steady rotation from me.....
July 04, 2013 05:17PM
Greetings Family,

Tonight is the night. Look forward to linking with ones. Come hail us up...

Big up Reggabe and East Bay Herbalist.... prolly not too many selections from Hold Your Own gonna be in the flow tonight but equally potent vibrations for this time....

And remember the live art will be flowing forth from ones like Jonathon Solter and Ithiel Amrham...

[myspace.com]

Respect
July 04, 2013 06:52PM
big life more strength to the vibes*
July 04, 2013 09:13PM
Had a safe drive to San Fran yesterday!! See you all at the show tonight. Reggabe I'm warring a Protoje t shirt today that says Dread 3 times in red, green & gold. Say hi if you see me. So excited!!
July 05, 2013 05:59PM
Missed you once again Rossta. What a night! I left just after 3a.m. when they were singing "Ring Out a Chant". It had been a long day and I was running on fumes, and just couldn't last anymore. How late did they go? Did they play "White Collar Criminal"? I've never seen that one live and thought it would be appropriate for a July 4th show.

I liked how they played "Blaze" 2nd song in and seemed to be entertained by it. I think it was their response to the MASSIVE amounts of ganja smoke being puffed as soon as they took the stage! I thought "Mantain" was the hit of the night, never seen that one live either and 1st time I've EVER seen them do a pull-up. Also "Jubilees Of Zion" was on hit, and overall super irie vibes once they got warmed up. Vaughn certainly seemed to be enjoying it and I saw more crowd interaction than ever before. Overall great show and vibe, and mad respect to the promoters once again. And Lionheart, that Inner Sound Sanctuary was whomping! VERY impressive, and I look forward to attending more of your showcases!

Lastly, about 4 songs in, Midnite played a song where Vaughn sang something like "One thing that every man willing to die for is Freedom", and he was riffing about polarity and having a "charge". Does anyone know the song/album name? I am curious as I've never heard it before. Bless!
July 05, 2013 07:25PM
Yes. "Freedom" is an unreleased tune I first heard at SNWMF in 2004:

"One thing a man willing to die for
Is freedom
One thing the youth man and the mothers cry alike for
Freedom
The people of the world are gonna always have to cry
Till Freedom come
Hold on until it come
Till Freedom come"

And the (new) lyrics that were thrown into the end of the song went something like:

"For polarities, on your car batteries
You need the cross of the polarities
For charge,,,,, On your mastercard"

I would also add "Earth Cycle Now A Rasta" as a personal highlight for me....
July 05, 2013 07:39PM
How long did they play?

Love that reggae!
July 05, 2013 07:42PM
3 hours 50 minutes Carl. They would have played longer but they wanted to save some selections for your video recording of tonight's concert....
July 05, 2013 08:22PM
Midnite massive, you gotta check ras Adams post about midnite in the 90s, amazing tune Words of War at the end of the video, relevant during that time and today. Check fi dat!!
July 05, 2013 09:15PM
See ya all at the mystic..
July 05, 2013 10:06PM
I think almost four hours is long enoug!

Love that reggae!
July 05, 2013 11:22PM
whoops I was wrong about "Blaze", it was "Bless" off Nemozian Rasta. There goes my theory, lol. Daniel, they must have played "Earth Cycle Now a Rasta" after I left at 3a.m. Too bad for me because I love that song!

Thanks for the clarification on "Freedom". Unreleased huh? Nice tune, and especially with the added stuff about polarities, charging your car battery &/or Mastercard, Quantum physics, and theosophy. Gotta luv Vaughn!
July 05, 2013 11:42PM
Yes Reggabe missed you again. Great and amazing set. Man Tain was also my fav of the night. So much energy. Bazra was fun. Bless got things going right. Earth Cycle now a Rasta was awesome!! Freedom was great for the 4th of July. I first heard it at a show in Portland back in 2011 and had to ask Daniel about that song.

I really enjoyed last nights version of Amongst I&I more than any other time I've heard it live.

See you all in Petaluma tonight!! I'm hoping to see one of these 3 songs. High Places of Anu, Begin the Day or Grapes of Wrath. smiling smiley
July 05, 2013 11:49PM
Daniel
3 hours 50 minutes Carl. They would have played longer but they wanted to save some selections for your video recording of tonight's concert....

Can't ask for much more than a four hour set!! Really great night. Thanks to all for the work putting the show on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2013 02:24AM by rossta8888.
July 08, 2013 07:08AM
Oakland July 4th late night session was epic! Close to four hours of non-stop midnite. What a blessing. Always amazed at each band member's ability to deliver for so many hours...looked like they had fun.

arrived late 12:30 or so while they were playing remember jah . not sure if first song or 3rd - but sounded great. Positive vibes, great crowd.

Later, I kept telling myself its 3 am, I got to go, after the next song. 3: 20 am, same; 3:30 am I got to leave. Stayed till the bitter end 4am. Awesome set. Played lots off unpolished towards end of night: time and time again, Kaaba Stone, meditation, love the life you live, and one more (due reward?). Jubilee of Zion, Bazra, Mongst I and I were nice to hear as well.

It was tough but necessary to head over to Petaluma next night. Much smaller, more subdued crowd. More staff oversight from Mystic - necessary? c'mon...Much shorter set. 2:10 minutes or so.

All irie vibes regardless at both shows. nice time.

Thanks to all who contribute to the Midnite experience! Cant wait till they come back to bay area....

And thanks again SNMWF- that was a great, great festival....

-much love-
July 08, 2013 04:25PM
My buddy got a few hours of the show on video. Hope you all enjoy.

July 08, 2013 07:11PM
Midnite rocked Oakland for real, I have not seen a lot of Midnite shows for about 10 years but blown away by the vibes and energy. Very refreshing, they killed it, Coming thru loud and clear, smiles all around, IRIE, bumping, TRANCEHALL. Give Thanks and Praise!
July 08, 2013 10:40PM
Seen Midnite a lot since 08. Oakland set was top 5 of my all time fav sets. Midnite is just the best in the biz IMHO. They set the standard for modern roots reggae. Anything else IMO is, well just not MIDNITE.
July 08, 2013 11:21PM
Midnite in Eugene, OR August 23rd for those of you who can't wait till they come back to the bay. Eugene summer celebration. It will be outdoors. I doubt we will see a long set but last year Pablo Moses got a 2 hour set.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login