Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Nice...SNWMF has embraced JA dancehall

Posted by strikkly 
Nice...SNWMF has embraced JA dancehall
June 22, 2013 10:22PM
...with Wayne Marshall and now Damian Marley this is some thick JA dancehall live and direct!!!!! NICE!!!!!!!
Re: Nice...SNWMF has embraced JA dancehall
June 22, 2013 10:47PM
Damians performance is inspired and lacking at the same time.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2013 08:03AM by strikkly.
June 26, 2013 12:37PM
More accurate for the OP to say 'SNWMF embraces contemporary dancehall', given nearly all JA music started (& aspired to ) being popular in the dance, at one time or another..
June 26, 2013 04:53PM
you mean pop-hall?

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 26, 2013 06:16PM
June 26, 2013 07:50PM
Damien's performance in addition to the gyc and Stephan is a triumphant to reggae music. Yes they have it easy with the last name of marley but it is also a cross to bear and they carry that legacy well. All of them. In respects to Jamaican dance hall I would love to see more of this and to be honest I do not understand the hate towards the marleys and the gyc that I see on this forum.
They performed extremely well and my only complaint is that it should h e been a longer set so they could all spread their wings a bit more. I hope to see more of this in the future.
June 26, 2013 08:02PM
Music is truly a subjective experience.

Peace
June 26, 2013 08:26PM
J_72
Music is truly a subjective experience.

Peace
This is realthumbs up
June 26, 2013 09:04PM
I agree with your perspective Jahsaih.
June 27, 2013 08:34AM
papa ray
More accurate for the OP ..

I don't tweeter or text and I am sure a lot of others are in the same boat but WFT IS "OP"..???
why is it so hard to type out the actual words???
June 27, 2013 08:42AM
mulligan
papa ray

I don't tweeter or text and I am sure a lot of others are in the same boat but WFT IS "OP"..???

remember, every culture has it's own unique form of communication.. if you dont appreciate the way the forum 'culture' is evolving(or devolving) then maybe you should disconnect.. move to the hills...

original post
original poster
June 27, 2013 10:41AM
maybe you should not be such a smart ass.. No need to tell anyone to move to the hills just 'cuz they don't
speak tweeter..
June 27, 2013 11:02AM
mulligan
papa ray

OP is a standard acronym created on message boards and forums such as this one. It simply means original post or original poster. It's just as common and useful as OT.
June 27, 2013 11:15AM
i am so freaken sorry -

1) this is the only message board i read/go to.
2) i am an old guy.
3) this is the first time i have ever seen OP used here. methinks if it is so common i would have seen it sooner.
4) are we in such a hurry that we have to resort to abbreviating everything? What does it take, an extra 2-3 seconds to
actually type in original poster.....
5) i know most everyone who posts here are majorly cool/trendy but for those of us not so cool/trendy - how's about
typing what you mean and meaning what you type.....
6) can one of the tweeters please provide a link to "common message board abbreviations"?
June 27, 2013 11:21AM
Mulligan: No need to apologize. Where else would one find a clue to internet slang than internetslang.com?

Whenever I need help in that regard, I usually just type the following into a google search: "acronym: OMG". Just replace the OMG with whatever acronym you are seeking a translation for.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 11:22AM by Daniel.
June 27, 2013 11:24AM
mulligan

help me here.

WTF is WFT?

well, methinks that's funny.

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
June 27, 2013 11:29AM
Hearing they were expecting 'security for their security', and the general vibe backstage, etc, I'd say the Marley offspring live a pretty cossetted existence these days.
June 27, 2013 11:36AM
papa is 'cossetted' internet slang for 'mollycoddled' ?
June 27, 2013 11:45AM
MK -
woops.....wtf was I thinking??

btw (ooooh, there I go again)....isn't "methinks" a cool word.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 11:47AM by mulligan.
June 27, 2013 11:58AM
Can anyone identify the song near the end of Damien's set that was primarily just a bass guitar and some drums? I've never heard it before but it was really funky. I liked it.
June 27, 2013 12:18PM
SNWMF has always embraced JA dancehall music. In 2005, I took in Shaggy, Richie Spice, Chuck Fenda, Anthony Cruz, Lutan Fyah, Natty King, General Smiley and Sugar & Pashon Minott, not to mention Youthman Promotion and Stone Love sound systems.
June 27, 2013 12:20PM
Set up shop I believe, titled after the new gyc album. Damien's drum programming and production skills are improving massively in my opinion.
June 27, 2013 12:25PM
I still don't understand the use of hashtags on FB and have been told that is because it is a #cool and #trendy way to #communicate. Did I do it right or am I just an old age geek like Mulligan. #Apologies for my #nerdiness.
June 27, 2013 12:27PM
blazeiyah

I dunno but I've been to some fests where the whole campground seemed "Molly coddled" It was like something out of Dante's Inferno.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 12:33PM by EvanCR.
June 27, 2013 12:53PM
I believe Damian's set started off (after the Bunny Wailer intro) with the Shrillex combo "Mek It Bun" followed by "Set Up Shop." Welcome to Jamrock was his last tune....
June 27, 2013 01:32PM
Thanks for the info. It was Set up Shop. I actually hadn't heard it before.
June 27, 2013 02:31PM
"Shrillex"...LOL that's good Daniel...and very apropos.
Oops, I used an acronym. Better spell it out so nobody gets wadded up undergarments...
"Laughing out loud"
June 27, 2013 02:56PM
blazeiyah

YEAH.....you know, pampered, indulged, coddled, stroked, etc etc.

When I saw the trio of super-tour-vans roll in, I said 'Must be the Marleys. Bet they get out of here in record time after the show.'
June 27, 2013 03:28PM
yeah stamina - 'cuz everyone who posts here knows all the little time saving abbreviations...
i admit you are so much more in tune with the pulse of the internet than i. why insult those
who not are so 21st century?

but your post is very cute and i'm sure you are proud of yourself.
June 27, 2013 03:39PM
PapaRay, don't let those kids sitting in the back make fun of yo vocabulary suh! Puuuuleaseeeee!

And, I do think, J_72, that you can use an objective approach to art and music similar to how you approach philosophy.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
June 27, 2013 04:00PM
breaking news...if you're on a message board, you may encounter folks who are regular message board users. They may be multitasking and not feel they need to spell out every word. Most board posters are more computer-literate than I am. To complain about such usage on said message board without either checking google or asking tactfully what it means without insulting any ones...well, imho you deserved the responses you got. "Mull" that over.
June 27, 2013 04:01PM
papaken
And, I do think, J_72, that you can use an objective approach to art and music similar to how you approach philosophy.

I guess my viewpoint comes from the fact that so many thought the Marleys were great, but I found it to be jumbled, chaotic, and hyped. The same with Midnite- I think they aren't that great of a band, but some think they are the greatest thing to happen to reggae. Jah Bill hates the Dead but loves the Stones, and I am quite the opposite. Does that make Bill's preference better or more objective? I don't think so.

It seems art is subjective, whereas philosophy, at least logic anyway, is more of an objective subject.

Peace
June 27, 2013 04:18PM
"why is it so hard to type out the actual words" seems like a rather tactful non-insulting question.
Did that question ruffle your feathers? I don't think it bothered anyone but you.

Thank you for the info about message boards. I still think it is more polite and civilized to actually
use words instead of the internet equivilent of grunts.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 04:28PM by mulligan.
June 27, 2013 04:33PM
Why did you feel the need to accent that statement with multiple question marks??? Don't you think that appears somewhat aggravated???? LOL I'll leave this alone now, you've taken your fair share of good-natured chiding...and not just from me. If you come on this board, don't expect to be cossetted! winking smiley
June 27, 2013 04:59PM
mulligan
"why is it so hard to type out the actual words" seems like a rather tactful non-insulting question.
Did that question ruffle your feathers? I don't think it bothered anyone but you.

Thank you for the info about message boards. I still think it is more polite and civilized to actually
use words instead of the internet equivilent of grunts.
For someone who claims to be a huge liberal, you sure do come across very closed minded and unprogressive.
June 27, 2013 05:31PM
Yeah big up JA dancehall in it's myriad forms.
I should clarify, I was reacting strongly to the appearance of Wayne Marshall and then Damian to follow/. Seemed to be a strong representation of "modern JA dancehall" which I thought was a slight change of pace as I consider this a pretty roots oriented festival.
Good reasoning sameway, which is a cool word I picked up from this site. Who originated that word, "sameway"?
June 27, 2013 05:35PM
eastbay - what does one thing have to do with another? being a "huge liberal" shouldn't mean that I can't
think words are better than some 2 letter combination. join the NSA if you want to converse in code.

oh, you're pissed about prop 8 being overturned?. too bad. but look at the bright side, now you can
marry a goat.

stamina - overuse of question marks does not indicate aggravation on my part. I use multiple question marks
on my grocery list, baseball scorecard, love letters, most everything i write/type. OK???

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 05:36PM by mulligan.
June 27, 2013 05:41PM
mulligan
eastbay - what does one thing have to do with another? being a "huge liberal" shouldn't mean that I can't
think words are better than some 2 letter combination. join the NSA if you want to converse in code.

oh, you're pissed about prop 8 being overturned?. too bad. but look at the bright side, now you can
marry a goat.

stamina - overuse of question marks does not indicate aggravation on my part. I use multiple question marks
on my grocery list, baseball scorecard, love letters, most everything i write/type. OK???
[snwmf.com] hypocrites are funny people
June 27, 2013 05:50PM
this thread could be called...'First obvious sign that the festival is over and its going to be another 350 plus days til it comes around again, lol'

Love that reggae!
June 27, 2013 05:53PM
there are certain things that have become established and that most everyone knows....btw lol omg ot
then there are things like op and epa that most actually do not know.
nice try tho.

video: [www.youtube.com]
June 27, 2013 06:07PM
mulligan
there are certain things that have become established and that most everyone knows....btw lol omg ot
then there are things like op and epa that most actually do not know.
nice try tho.

video: [www.youtube.com]
So basically what you are saying is, if YOU don't know the acronym is then its unestablished? Pretty arrogant way of looking at things.
June 27, 2013 06:14PM
no, not at all. It's just that i've been reading and posting here since the last 90's.....and i have NEVER seen OP.
do you agree that wft, rotfl, ot etc have been around longer, used more and are understood by more people than OP or EPA?

not everyone is as computer literate as you. you should have compassion for me. I don't know what all the little
abbreviations mean. how can I go on living???
June 27, 2013 06:24PM
mosquito killer
mulligan

help me here.

WTF is WFT?

well, methinks that's funny.

m.

Top marks selector!
June 27, 2013 06:25PM
Chimino
SNWMF has always embraced JA dancehall music. In 2005, I took in Shaggy, Richie Spice, Chuck Fenda, Anthony Cruz, Lutan Fyah, Natty King, General Smiley and Sugar & Pashon Minott, not to mention Youthman Promotion and Stone Love sound systems.

Tell dem
June 27, 2013 06:31PM
Jah Bill reference and all... this thread is another classic. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Wait... this forum well bruk from long time. L.O.L.
June 27, 2013 06:53PM
Just talking music, Stevo, sorry we're not on your level.

Peace
June 27, 2013 07:18PM
Is that youre thing star? Putting words into other folks mouths? And putting your blinders on while you join in? FO. Guess weh dat mean.
June 27, 2013 07:26PM
The way I read it was you mocking my Bill reference, then saying this forum is broke.

Please show me where I put words into your mouth.
June 27, 2013 07:56PM
you guys and girls do know what J_72 stand for RIGHT??

just kidding
June 27, 2013 10:52PM
J_72
Please show me where I put words into your mouth.

By assuming that I read your post and acting as if it were true.
June 27, 2013 10:56PM
Still haven't read your post. Honestly just saw JB.... stones..... didn't read it. Didn't check the author. Sorry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login