Your Top 5 Favorites from SNWMF 2013
June 24, 2013 08:54AM
Here's mine (I was only there Sat and Sun):

1) Windy City - WOW! Blew me away. Very talented, rootsy, unique, and humble. Had a chance to meet them just before Alpha Blondy and get some pics with them. Great people...loved em. If you missed them, I feel very sorry for you...you had 2 chances. I MUST see them again!

2) Alpha Blondy - I was lucky enough to rush over after Abja and get front/center for AB. It was great to finally see him at SNWMF and the crowd was lovin it. I expected him to be my #1, but I thought his set was too short...I would have expected 4 - 5 more songs...maybe a double encore. He played a lot longer both times I saw him in Utah. Looking forward to Nomotroubles vids. Oh yeah, it was supposed to be pouring rain Sunday night...weather ended up being perfect, icing on the cake.

3) Abja & The Lions of Kush - I was really feeling this set back in da trees...just when the sun started poking through. The crowd was into it and the riddims were hitting me right. Something about those St. Croix roots...there must be something in the water there. Great performance.

4) Marleys - a surprise for them to be in my Top 5 having seen them all a number of times. I love Stephen and feel his voice is closest to his dad's (listen to him lead sing "Mama" on ZM&MM album Joy & Blues)...wish he'd played Mind Control, but that's okay, heard it before. Who really impressed me was Damian. I've never been a huge fan...a little bit too "stress hall" for me at times, but he brought big energy and blended in the roots nicely. Julian was a nice surprise and I love "Systems".

5) Cornell Campbell - 100 lbs of Collie sounds so nice every time.

Honorable Mentions: Don Carlos and Luciano. I've seen both of these guys more times than I can count, but hats off to them for filling in at the last minute in the absence of U-Roy and Max Romeo. Was very cool of Don to sign autographs after his set. He signed my shirt and took a pic with me. First time I saw him was on the Black Uhuru "Now" tour back in '90 I believe with Garth and Duckie and he still brings it now like he did 23 yrs ago....wonderful man. Jah Messenjah was great as always. Bummed I missed Errol Dunkley....I know NoMo will be hooking us up though.

Wishlist for next year: Max Romeo, 10 ft. Ganja Plant, Clinton Fearon & Albert Griffiths on a Gladiators Reunion tour (yeah right...one can always dream)

Great times, great people, great food, great vibes, great music. Big Up SNWMF!

Yet another edit...have to do it after seeing all this feedback....looks like my fail of the weekend was missing Errol Dunkley...I was at the cafe down the street having breakfast and meeting some peeps...oh well, can't win em all. Just a new person on my wishlist....look forward to NoMo's coverage.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 05:50AM by jcom.
Re: Your Top 5 Favorites from SNWMF 2013
June 24, 2013 04:50PM
Wow, I only attended Saturday, but what a great fest! I met people that had traveled from all over the globe for this magical night. 3 Marleys...actually 4 if you include Stephen's son Joe Mersa on the stage. Showed why this is 1 of the premiere festivals. Everything was bashy.
June 24, 2013 05:31PM
I only made it for Saturday. Thought everybody was top-notch, but to me Don Carlos and Protoje stood out. Hadn't seen Don in a long time and forgot how professional and gracious a performer he is! Such a likable dude and humble soul, and the band was in good form (props to the trumpet player who is a long-time friend!). Protoje is quite a talent, and the Indignation band was very good also.

The Marleys were a great headliner, and to me it is Damien who is obviously the most talented of them on stage. They played most of the tunes off "Welcome to Jamrock", of which I thought Road to Zion was the best. Luciano & Cornell also had very nice sets.

Big Up SNWMF every time!
June 24, 2013 06:15PM
thumbs upProteje

Alpha Blondy

Errol Dunkley

Marcia Griffiths

Gappy Ranks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 02:52AM by yellowberry.
June 24, 2013 07:00PM
Top 6-
Alpha Blondy
Protoje
Gappy Ranks
The Marleys
Windy City
Luciano
June 24, 2013 07:35PM
Errol Dunkley stole the show for me. I was so impressed with his energy.
June 24, 2013 08:12PM
Stevo
Errol Dunkley stole the show for me. I was so impressed with his energy.

how was the dancehall ?
June 24, 2013 10:06PM
I thought all the DJs were cool. Only one didnt really didn't appeal to me but he had his moments. As far as the sound, the bass didn't slump enough and volume wasn't loud enough for what I like but I still had a good time.
June 24, 2013 10:41PM
1. Windy City
2. Leroy Sibbles
3. Prince Fatty (Melissa's pick)
4. Jah Shaka
5. Alpha Blondy
6. Sister Carol

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 11:01PM by J_72.
June 24, 2013 10:59PM
Alpha Blondy
Windy City
Abja and the Lionz of Kush
Protoje
Keith and Tex
The Sunday afternoon belly dancer at the Village at about 4 pm, very few of us there, my friend and i settled down with a sandwich, but maybe it was just the time and place and vibe, but that woman blew us and a couple others away. This will be my first video.

Love that reggae!
June 24, 2013 11:00PM
The Women ruled the roost this year.

Sister Carol- killed it on Friday night, truly brought the weekend to a great start
Marcia Griffths- my personal fave on Saturday-her band was pinpoint-and Marcia has never sounded better-a killer set
FataMata Diawara- saw a little of the set and then listened to the rest on my way out- her african vibes were lovely to say the least.

Other highlights: Keith and Tex , Errol Dunkley, Leroy Sibbles

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
June 24, 2013 11:44PM
bigvein
how was the dancehall ?

I thought the dancehall was great. The artists, the selections and the sound. I was very impressed with Jah Shaka as usual. Lots of chanting and dancing from him as well as killer selections. I have to say though, I enjoyed Tony Screw even more. He dropped a few Junior Delgado dubs early on that floored me. In particular the one on "swing easy". And he played a Macka B dub that was just incredible. Macka B going through a roll call of all the great artists gone a Zion. It must have been recorded recently considering the names he was dropping. Would LOVE to hear it again! I felt like the bass was well heavy and the overall sound an improvement from last year. A different arrangement of the speakers was an obvious difference and it sounded to me like maybe some weight was added in the chain.

I would also like to add that Holly Cook was amazing! Glued to the stage for both of her sets. Great music and great energy!
June 25, 2013 12:06AM
Didn't make dancehall Saturday night, but saw parts of Gaudi and Shaka. Gaudi had some great things going on, like a mad scientist, and watching Shaka is like watching an artist at work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 11:04AM by J_72.
June 25, 2013 12:08AM
Alpha Blondy
Protoje
Gappy Ranks
Hollie cook and horseman
Leroy Sibbles
June 25, 2013 12:45AM
Errol Dunkley
Hollie Cook - beautiful person and voice
Protoge
Keith and Tex
Shaka, Downbeat and Comanche. Dancehall was great both nights. Comanche did a good job both nights, especially Friday with keepn Shaka happy. Sound not as loud as I like it either, but kept low for a reason.
June 25, 2013 12:54AM
Jah Shaka
Windy City
Protoje
Prince Fatty/Hollie Cook/Horseman
Gappy Ranks
June 25, 2013 12:58AM
Hollie Cook
Abja
Protoje
Alpha Blondy

I heard the Marleys were a huge disappointment.
I listened to Damian on the live stream KZYX on sat. Night and all I could think was man this guys a studio artist. Any thoughts?
June 25, 2013 01:08AM
Did not make my top 5.

I thought they were all pretty good, especially Christopher Ellis and Damian. Julian was surprisingly smooth and confident. Stephen was understated and a bit disappointing. Lots of flags and kids on stage. Definitely a Marley Extravaganza, that's for sure.

My wife hated it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 01:08AM by Jahsprey.
June 25, 2013 01:28AM
Windy city
Protoje
Leroy sibbles
The Marleys
Luciano
June 25, 2013 02:42AM
Errol Dunkley
Kieth and Tex
Don Carlos
Windy City eye popping smiley
Luciano

Bubblin' unda...

Alpha Blondy
Leroy Sibbles
Marleys
Sister Carol
Marcia Griffiths
June 25, 2013 02:52AM
Errol Dunkley
Leroy Sibbles
Gappy Ranks
Alpha Blondy
Downbeat the Ruler
June 25, 2013 02:54AM
Looks like my decision to blow off the marleys in favor of making it up on time for Keith and Tex and Errol Dunkley was probably a good one. Plenty videos of Prince Fatty, Sister Carol, Ras Michael, Windy City, Protoje, Don Carlos, Keith and Tex, Errol Dunkley, Abja and Alpha Blondy soon come....

Love that reggae!
June 25, 2013 03:54AM
So many highlights but a few in no particular order...

The weather -Saturday was classic NorCal summer festival weather with perfect temps and mucho sun... but Sunday was the special treat with the clouds, a few sprinkles, then sun and tranquil humidity
Protoje -one of the most energetic artists of the weekend
Alpha Blondy -Strong finish to a great weekend. Not as lively as he could of been but clean and tight
Hollie Cook -Fun set with solid UK dub beat by Princefatty/Horseman with Hollie Cook the perfect complement
Abja- VI roots at its finest with the Lions of Kush band. Nice time of day for set that really picked up as it went along....
Don Carlos -Good set as always, dropped a bunch of my favs, great encore.

Honorable Mention

-Just about all the Valley stage DJ's
-Leroy Sibbles
-Cornel Campbell
-Gappy Ranks
-Marcia Griffithes
-Luciano (especially when he somersaulted and his necklace flew off and landed on his backup singers mic...was a pretty sweet move.)
-Marley Family vibes (seeing Julian and then all the kids was a treat)
-Saturday yoga, best turnout in the last 4 years
-Friday night dancehall, both Gaudi and Jah Shaka

Unfortunately missed Windy City, Mr. Dunkley, Keith and Tex and Sister Carol.
June 25, 2013 04:01AM
nomotrouble
Looks like my decision to blow off the marleys in favor of making it up on time for Keith and Tex and Errol Dunkley was probably a good one. Plenty videos of Prince Fatty, Sister Carol, Ras Michael, Windy City, Protoje, Don Carlos, Keith and Tex, Errol Dunkley, Abja and Alpha Blondy soon come....

That's exactly what I wanted to hear!....especially Windy City. I tried to wave and introduce myself while you were setting up for Alpha Blondy (I luckily got front and center about 20 before he came on) but you were in your zone...you have honed your skills to perfection my friend. Looking forward to the goods!
June 25, 2013 04:45AM
How fun was the festival!!?! Good vibes, great people and music!!

BIG up to all who bring this on. YES!

Highlights for me:
1) Abja was awesome. Love that VI sound...must be the water indeed.
2) Protoje was a great vibe. Lots of energy and really rocked the big stage! First time seeing him and band.
3) Prince Fatty and Hollie Cook on Friday - she looked and sounded great! Came across much better Friday than on the big stage on Sunday- sound mix had too much bass Sunday- never said that before in me life.
4) Gappy Ranks- bringin the high energy Sunday - nice upbeat performance
5) Windy City on the big stage Sunday. Much better sound than prior day. Groovy Korean sound. who knew?
6) Stephen Marley- first time seeing dem. Good show- kinda crowded up front. Who the cap fit. nice.
7) Marcia Griffiths great set. Cant forget her.
8) Keith and Tex, Leroy Sibbles also quite good.

Jah provided clear skies as well!

snwmf is the best - cant wait for next year!!!

it soon come 364 days away..

thanks in advance to nomo- I'm sure his fine work will bring back good memories.

-much love-
June 25, 2013 05:16AM
I know Tex & Keith brought unexpected water to my eye---just tears of joy. REALLY loved the very first 11AM set I've EVER made on this festival.
Kudos to the L.A..-based musicians backing this duo & the following JA veteran Mr. Dunkley.

I also think Stevo nailed it with Errol Dunkley---I've caught him before, and Errol clearly was loving the love & feeling the vibe. Sweet to hear his acapella tribute to departed singers such as Delroy Wilson & Gregory...

Caught both sets of Windy City & found them strong, supple, capable of sublety and making those minor key compositions have a sad and sweet resonance. So the same with the Prince Fatty organization; Horseman was a champion on the Mic, the label's plates sounded FAT, hi-tech roots I''d enjoy anytime, and give it up to Hollie Cook: her playful Rude Girl persona and the Sade' over-tones work great for me.

Cornell Campbell was plagued by a sloppy backing band, but he brought it solid----and more. Mr. Sibbles has a great time at SNWMF, & we get to enjoy his pleasure, true? Luciano beamed music to all and came on as The Messenger----what a class step-in for the recouperating U Roy. Never a problem to hear Don Carlos work his show; again, an adroit catch after Max Romeo's immigration-based worries.

I saw Bambino 2 years ago & loved his desert electric blues psychedelia----guitar players wearing nomadic head-gear & sonically invoking music between Ali Farke Toure & Jimi Hendrix works fine for me.

And as always, the top ranking mellow setting and cool audience made it again my musical Disneyland Of Choice----what a stonethrill to see your fellow music lovers on the battlefront---am I wrong??
June 25, 2013 05:47PM
papa ray
I know Tex & Keith brought unexpected water to my eye---just tears of joy. REALLY loved the very first 11AM set I've EVER made on this festival.
Kudos to the L.A..-based musicians backing this duo & the following JA veteran Mr. Dunkley.

Yeah, I was really moved by Keith and Tex too - LOVED their set! The smiles on their faces, the vibes all around, the stories behind the music, etc. - class act #1 of the weekend.

Second was Dunkley, who kept the vibes rolling with his energetic set, stage presence and sweet vocals. The back-to-back rocksteady set was epic!

My third favorite was actually Gaudi in the dancehall. The guy definitely has a little Lee Perry in him, both old and new - and it was much more rootsy and dread than I was expecting. I thought it was funny how he had all his gadgets laid out around him, and when he would sing he would always turn to his right and hold the mic up - as though his voice was another gadget - and that was where it was accessed. Surprised me and I wish I had hung out longer, but so many things to see...

Hollie Cook's set was unique and fun. Her bubbly personality really spread to everyone around her. Like Mr Francis said - she's like a little kitty! haha. Just as charming in person as well. The little wails at the end of the tunes reminded my of Lene Lovich or something from that era, she had everyone smiling.

Leroy Sibbles takes #5. Was it just me or did the older artists really come to lay it down? Fantastic energy! Was fun watching him borrow the bass for a bit to do his best impression of Dennis Bovell. Sounded amazing

All in all - my only real complaint was missing Max and U Roy - great weekend as expected!

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
June 25, 2013 07:44PM
Papa Ray wrote , "I know Tex & Keith brought unexpected water to my eye---just tears of joy."

Know what U mean daddy, especially when they launched into "Walk the Streets at Niii--ght...." . Musical Chariot vibes were killer and mo killa!

Sweet to hear his (Errol Dunkley's) acapella tribute to departed singers such as Delroy Wilson & Gregory...

..and Booga Sugar Minott. Errol Dunkley was bad to the bone- all smiles all around during his set. There was not a high that he missed!

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
June 25, 2013 08:57PM
Just attended Saturday, caught a bit of iqulah, which was pretty nice, good vibes full of roots.

Main stage pretty much all day, there wasn't much going on at the village stage all day, checked Windy City, which was definitely eclectic and different a little jazzy. Love the shade and cool vibes at valley stage, wish there were more acts there on Saturday worth checking.

I have heard a lot about protoje, and thought he was decent, but he seems really young, still an evolving artist developing stage presence and confidence on stage and with his music.

Cornell Campbell was solid, great range with his voice and wonderful energy on stage. Enjoyed a lot of classic roots tuneS.

Don Carlos me love every time, classic tunes every one and me full joy each one. A little low energy? Nonetheless a solid performance but nothing new and different or a deep cut that caught you off guard.

Luci, loved seeing him fill in last minute, really walks the line between contemporary and roots, greAt singer and stage presence.

Marcia was great, fast forward to marleys.... I thought Julian was super impressive, would like to see more of him. Damian and Stephen, solid as expected. Other openers for them, eh...
June 25, 2013 09:01PM
What a festival it was!!! Thank you SNWMF and everyone who had a hand in putting together such an amazing event. One of the best weekends I have had in a long time! So many amazing shows that it is really hard to pick just 5. After thinking about it all morning I have 5 that I feel were hands down my favorite sets.

1) Alpha Blondy!!! Huge fan of his music and have never had the chance to see him until this year. Love every minute of the set. His energy was amazing, the band was really good and I loved his set list. AMAZING SHOW, thank you SNWMF for bringing him to BOOMVILLE!

2) Abja! I was really happy to see others enjoyed his set. I was blown away. He was better than I could have imagined. Nothing better than VI Roots IMHO. Everytime I see Batch, Niyorah, Abja, Army, Midnite they just blow me away. I had not picked up his newest album yet and was able to get a copy for the drive back to OR! My fiance is sick of it already. LOL. Other than MIDNITE I cant think of any artist I would rather see than Abja. He was that good. something in the water is right.

3) Ras Michael, What an amazing set. Was perfect at night under the trees at the Village Stage. Was my first time enjoying Ras Michael and I loved every minute of it.

4) Protoje!!! He was everything i expected! Full of energy and backed by a great band. I love Hail Rastafari and it was amazing live. Truly powerful song. IMO Protoje will be headlining this festival within 5 years. To bad Romain was not around this year so we could hear a lil reggae revival!!!

5) Groundation! They were amazing as always Harrison (and his amazing voice ) put on a great show. . Fun to see California's best band performing at California's best festival ! Big up to Groundation for bringing it each and every time

Shout out to Leroy Sibbles, Iqulah and Don Carlos.
June 25, 2013 10:22PM
IQULAH 1st
PROTOJE/JAH SHAKA 2nd
ERRL DUNKLEY 3rd
ABJA 4th iqulah changed my life
June 25, 2013 10:59PM
Jah Shaka
Iqulah/Protoje
Marleys
Alpha Blondy

Only dissapointment was missing Mr. Dunkley. Epic fail! sad smiley
Got Jr. there just in time though. smiling smiley

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
June 25, 2013 11:03PM
I missed Errol Dunkley, too!

Extra heavy, rain enhanced gravity was in full effect on Sunday morning at Hendy Woods this year.

Next time....
June 25, 2013 11:03PM
1. Windy City - Valley Stage Set
2. Windy City - Village Stage Set
3. Alpha Blondy
4. Iqulah
5. Protoje

Honorable mentions to Mr. Sibbles, Abja, Ras Michael and Sister Carol
June 25, 2013 11:04PM
Protoje
Gaudi
Marleys
Windy City
Luciano/don Carlos tie
I admit I unfortunately missed a lot of the village stage because I have a toddler and a wife. Once we or settled we stayed in the valley but I caught a little of village stage and my honorable mention is:
Abja
Gappy
Sister carol
Leroy sibbles
And
Surprising to me because I am not a fan of their albums but groundation performed a very nice set.
To each his own...
June 25, 2013 11:41PM
Brought a friend of mine with to the fest this year and had trouble getting his coffee addicted body to the fest before Iqulah, we saw four or five songs of his and we both loved it. I've seen him several times now and enjoyed each immensely. I'll catch him at Beneficial Reggae in a few weeks.

Love that reggae!
June 25, 2013 11:50PM
cb_liveup
-Luciano (especially when he somersaulted and his necklace flew off and landed on his backup singers mic...was a pretty sweet move.)
Unfortunately missed Windy City, Mr. Dunkley, Keith and Tex and Sister Carol.

I'm glad you mentioned that! Epic move!

I also want to add... after being reminded by someone on FB who was just as impressed to hear it... Leroy Sibbles playing "Never Give Up". Didn't think I'd ever see that.
June 25, 2013 11:59PM
Extremely surprised that ABJA is mentioned by nearly everyone...definitely sunk into a meditative zone during the set overcome with an incredible sense of well being. It probably helps to bring such a strong vibe when you have peeps like Tuff Lion inyour backing band.
June 26, 2013 05:22AM
Hard just picking 5. Here's my top 10

Alpha Blondy
Prince Fatty/Hollie Cook
Keith and Tex
Errol Dunckley
Gappy Ranks
Cornel Campbell
Ras Michael
Leroy Sibbles
Marcia Griffiths
Damian Marley
June 26, 2013 05:51AM
1. Alpha Blondy

2. Prince Fatty/Hollie Cook/Horseman

3. Leroy Sibbles

4. Gappy Ranks

5. Protoje

Was sorry I missed Keith & Tex and Errol Dunkley as well as all but the last two Windy City songs.

I really liked Horseman together with Hollie Cook and the Prince Fatty riddim backing...that was a unique and entertaining set for sure.
June 26, 2013 06:19AM
Great festival as always. Thanks Epiphany and all the people making it spin. Going in, my two must sees met expectations at one and two below. My third hopeful (Max) didn't make it.

Jah Shaka - moved by his performance including all his singing/chanting
Errol Dunkley was a classic Sunday daytime festy event
Cornel Campbell's sweet, sweet voice
Abja was such a great way to wind down the weekend. By continually bringing such great music to the Village Stage with those redwoods hugging us year after year, we have created a sacred space that feels so holy. Iqulah was another holy event at the Village Stage
Windy City when she played those melodica like licks

Other moments - the bass during Hollie Cook's Sunday Valley Stage set. The thump was incredible, every note make all the water in my body shake. Sound wasn't distorted, never heard it quite like that before or during later sets, just amazing, In another thready people complaining about the sound being too loud in the Valley Stage, No way it was too loud.
Great running into all my festy friends from past and making new friends. Certainly a great music festival but just as much a great festival of friends.
Great time talking with you Stevo on Sunday, another great festival moment
Love every moment of the fest
June 26, 2013 07:47AM
I don't know how it slipped my mind but uprising roots band was mashen
So now I have to re make my list:
1st: IQULAH
2nd:Jah Shaka
3rdtongue sticking out smileyrotoje
4th:Uprising Roots band
5th:abja/errl dunkley
And it is really hard leaving others out but that's almost the best five sets in my reggae career
June 26, 2013 01:20PM
Gve thanks for the positive review. Very much humbled and appreciative.
June 26, 2013 03:30PM
Uprising
Gve thanks for the positive review. Very much humbled and appreciative.
Your set was amazing uprising thank you for the good vibes
June 26, 2013 03:42PM
Yeah. Big up the Uprising Roots Band. Solid set. Very nice nice way to start another epic SNWMF day.
June 26, 2013 04:29PM
The festival was fantastic: big names in one place mashing up di place. All ova di place. Forced to call out some people, here goes:

Empress Marcia Griffiths and di original don gorgon Leroy Sibbles were unmatched. UNMATCHED.
I agree with that other post that said the older folks laid it down. (ps. I didnt like seeing them having short sets - even being hustled off stage. Listen up Missa Organizer: Dont do it again. RESPECT DUE to them! They should be allowed to sing; they are the foundation after all)

Proteje - Next in line. Know bout!!!

Really enjoyed the newer international interpretations of reggae. Nuff nuff respect to them bringing the sound:

Windy City - Wicked sound

Danakil - You were fantastic! That Edith Piaf number 'Non, je ne regrette rien' was something else! Understand and Appreciate it!!! Cant find it to buy. Have to chase it down. Any tips?

Alpha Blondy - You have the voice and spirit of reggae through and through.

Bambino - Bring it rude bwoy!

Other honorable mentions:

Sister Carol I didnt get to see you; so sorry. Hear you were amazing. More power to you. Also very, very sorry to have missed Downbeat, Iqulah, Abja, Errol Dunkley and Keith and Tex.
Gappy Ranks was good when he was singing from 'Shining Hope' and the tunes to the ladies.
That dj and guitar guy in Soja Friday night: What?! Yuh deh pon fire!

Blessings to the Marley Family. Thanks for singing what the people want to hear. And keeping our Jamaican/BobMarley tradition. Blood.

More time SNWMF
D'Conqueror - Ital Sistrene

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 12:50AM by conqueror.
June 26, 2013 04:35PM
Hollie Cook
Errol Dunkley
Protoje
Iqulah
Prince Fatty
June 26, 2013 04:40PM
1. Windy City - village stage set was my favorite of the two, but I think that's just because I always catch the vibes much stronger on the village stage than the valley stage. I didn't listen to them much at all before the festival, but they absolutely blew me away. Those moments where they're already jamming and then the didgeridoo busts in were just unbeatable.

2. Iqulah - tough to beat hearing the rastaman preach in the redwoods on a beautiful morning

3. Prince Fatty/Holly Cook/Horseman - definitely the group I listened to most in preparation for the festival, and they did not disappoint

4. Keith & Tex - another great start to the day, they sounded great and were clearly having so much fun it was a pleasure to watch

5. Afrolicious - I know they play in SF almost every week, but they brought my energy back up to 100% when I was sandbagging pretty hard Saturday night, and I have to give them props for that.

Sad that I missed Ras Michael and Abja, but that doesn't put a damper on an amazing weekend!
June 26, 2013 04:45PM
My top 5 anticipated turned out to be my top 5 favs.

Protoje (and his dancing feet) and the Indiggnation, his back up voice guy is SICK!!!!!! Got to see them again Monday at the Hopmonk, so worth the driving mission! I thought it was so cool that he still had his festival bracelet on his wrist 2 days after his Saturday performance. smiling smiley

Gappy Ranks, I was worried a bit because someone at the fest told me one of his shows up north, I think it was in WA, wasn't up to par, but he brought it, he was insane, on fire, crazy bad, full of energy, pulling up almost every song just about when you thought the song was over... and here we go again, YEEEEE!!

Sister Carol, more power sistah!

Ras Michael, mesmerizing.

Abja and the Lions of Kush, I think he is so good, puts a smile on my face each time I see him.

I must add another fav, Sunday night, just when I thought it was all over, one of my friends from home invited me back to camp (I was staying at Hendy) for their "little" after party at their RV... I only made it back to Hendy by 4 am 'cause I had obligations awaiting me there.

I left my heart in BOOMVILLE!

Last but not least..."oh Henry". winking smiley
June 26, 2013 05:30PM
Protoje- His energy and vocal delivery couldn't be beat. I'm still hearing I & I in my head....

Iqulah- His medi vibe on the small stage was powerful to say the least. I had never even heard one song from this artist and his performance sticks with me the most. Very impressed.

Prince Fatty With Horseman/Hollie Cook on the small stage. Wow, this was such a great combinations of killer riddims with great vocals from two amazing artists.

Abja- Again, I think the small stage and the redwoods add to make a great artist even better.

Marleys- You just can't beat having them on stage together....Pure magic.
June 26, 2013 11:42PM
Malcolm
Great time talking with you Stevo on Sunday, another great festival moment

The feeling is mutual Malcolm. I always enjoy seeing you there and reasoning. A true blessing. Seems I run into you more than anyone!smiling smiley
I hope it's the same next year. Honestly something I look forward to. We were holding it down in the front near the end of Jah Shaka, weren't we!
June 26, 2013 11:52PM
1. Leroy Sibbles
2. Jah Shaka
3. Errol Dunkley
4. Downbeat
5. Gappy Ranks

Honrable Mentions:
Hollie Cook, Windy City, Christopher Ellis Singing Willow Tree.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 27, 2013 12:19AM
no particular order and not limiting myself to 5: Prince Fatty, Jah Shaka, Luciano, Downbeat, Errol Dunkley, Leroy Sibbles, Hollie Cook, and Gappy Ranks

Respect Same Way
June 27, 2013 01:11AM
I am going to post without first looking at what others posted...I can't really say who are my favorites as much as I can say certain people stood out for me for various reasons. Here is my list:

Protoje- I loved Protoje and Indiggnation because I have watched him grow into a mature intellectual performer. I think he has unusual style and his performance supports the mission of the Reggae Revival.

Holly Cook This woman was the most unusual artist I saw at the festival in the most captivating way. Not only is she a great singer and can pull off a duet like no other, she is extremely beautiful in the most exotic way. Her dancing and singing matched her beauty. I LOVED the way she and Prince Fatty work together.

Iqulah I had never seen this artist before and absolutely loved his roots style and intellectual Rastafarian lyrics.

Keith and Tex rate in my top five because I had never seen them and loved their lovely roots lovers rock set.

Damian and Julien Marley These two Marleys I am rating together even though they performed separately. I just love the Marley vibe, all of them, but Damian really stands out to me with his unusal brand of reggae and Julien is someone I think is underacknowledged.

There are several artists I was unable to catch on both stages. All I saw perform gave great performances so I am just reporting on those that had special meaning to me.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 01:19AM by Sista Irie.
June 27, 2013 05:15AM
for me
1 -Windy City -OMG!
2-Gaudi -Best Dj I saw
3-Prince Fatty w/Holly Cook -great vocals & harmonies
4-Keith & Tex -songs I haven't heard or at least in 30years
5-Bombino- Great rockin set best Guitar solo of fest
Leroy Sibbles[ -super fun set
June 27, 2013 06:03AM
1. Windy City
2. Prince Fatty, Horseman, Hollie Cook
3. Abja
4. Danakil
5. Iqulah

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
June 27, 2013 06:08AM
Windy City is killing it on this thread! I/We need to see them again!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 06:08PM by jcom.
June 27, 2013 06:37PM
So, speaking of Windy City, speaking of Hollie Cooke:

Of ALL the bands seen this year, Windy City would be the most fascinating possibility for a collaboration with the London-based singer.

She would bring a sweet tone to their sweet glow, seen??
June 27, 2013 06:50PM
Top 5

1) Windy City
2) Abja & the Lionz of Kush
3) Protoje & Indiggnation
4) Errol Dunkley
5) Iqulah

Next 5: Alpha Blondy & the Solar System, Keith & Tex, Don Carlos, Leroy Sibbles, and Danakil.
June 27, 2013 08:20PM
1) Protoje; was looking forward to his set the most and he didn't disappoint. Haven't seen that many people at the main stage at 2:30 in my 5 years at the fest. Great Set
2) The Marley's and GYC; Thought it was great, just wish we heard more from Stephen's solo stuff and that it was another 30-45 minutes longer
3) Jah Shaka; everybody here already knows
4) The Green; I thought they opened things up well and got people moving. Props to these guys, hoping to hear more from these guys soon. I liked that 4 out of the 5 dudes were singing too
5) Sister Carol; I only caught the end of her set but thought it was great. Love the riddims and the energy

Honorable mentions to Luciano and Don Carlos for showing up on short notice and playing great sets Saturday afternoon. I think I enjoyed Luciano's set this year more than his one last year
June 27, 2013 08:23PM
I have to say I was disappointed in Downbeat....any time I'm at the dancehall at Sierra or any other fest I don't want to hear 3-4 stereotypical Bob tunes back to back to back. One love, Three Little Birds and Exodus....everybody in the dance can listen to those jams anytime they want, and most have more times than they can count. That alone made me leave the dancehall Saturday night. Maybe its just me though, to each their own
June 28, 2013 06:40PM
Redwood Rebel
I have to say I was disappointed in Downbeat....any time I'm at the dancehall at Sierra or any other fest I don't want to hear 3-4 stereotypical Bob tunes back to back to back. One love, Three Little Birds and Exodus....everybody in the dance can listen to those jams anytime they want, and most have more times than they can count. That alone made me leave the dancehall Saturday night. Maybe its just me though, to each their own

Yeah, everybody CAN listen to those jams at home but NOT in a dancehall on a big sound system. In fact, in my experience, its rare to hear those kinda tunes on a big sound system and sometimes I miss that. Most selectors are too busy showing you how they collected these rare and obscure recordings that you must hear,,,rather then to play the more popular stuff. I like some kinda balance, and if you have ever DJed you will quickly find out that there are ALWAYS some people who want to hear something different...pain in the ass, to be honest.
June 28, 2013 08:54PM
I hear you Rhythmwize, the folks around me looked like they were getting down and having fun so I'm not trying to hate. Just being an avid reggae fan, I love to hear DJ's spin tunes I don't get to hear each and everyday. I know you have to play some popular stuff or your going to have some of the crowd lose interest, but I thought 3-4 Bob songs in a row was excessive. Maybe my opinion would be different if I would have the patience to stick it out
June 28, 2013 10:49PM
#1 ALPHA BLONDY ! Real Music fi Real People ~> hands Down Best/Solid Performance All weekend. 20th Anniversary couldn't have wrapped up any Better ~> Gwan Alpha!!
2.Cornell Di Gorgan Campbell - Def. 1 of the Sweetest "living'' voices Outa Yard!
3.Errol Dunkley - Forward Mr. Dunkley Each n every time~>
4. Down Beat the Ruller !!!
5. Gappy Ranks - Def. deserved a better slot... maybe even a bigger stage

Nuff Resect to all the performers that came out this yr ~>
Like Fine Wine... This Fest only gets Better with Age!!!

one love-juan love
(SAPO)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2013 10:59PM by juanlove.
June 28, 2013 11:45PM
^^^ jcom sure got a good spot for Alpha Blondy (wink wink)....ha ha...humble thanks for posting. NoMo's will be much better, but hopefully this one tides a few people over.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2013 11:46PM by jcom.
June 28, 2013 11:57PM
Respect for the Video jcom !!! thumbs up

one love-juan love
(SAPO)
June 29, 2013 12:18AM
Protoje: Exciting performer, you can definitely tell he was having a good time up there.
The Marleys: I thought they put on a great show, even though time was super tight.
Windy City: Really impress me. No doubt this was the highlight of the fest.
Ras Michael: Just amazing to see him perform, really good vibes his music brings.
Jah Shaka: No words to describe this man. simply amazing.

I cant really give my input for Sunday because unfortunately I had to leave a day early, Long story short... I lost my car keys so I had to get out early Sunday morning. Wish I could of stayed the entire weekend though..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2013 01:34AM by ZoulJah.
June 30, 2013 09:53PM
Sister Carol gets better every show.
Ras Michael was a true roots blessing! Blessed to meet him in Ukiah. Made my whole weekend!
Holly Cook sounded like a butterfly. Had pretty purple undies on too...; ) Any photographers snap that?
Leroy Sibbles and "The Book of Rules."
Alpha Blondy's message was powerful!!!

One Love and Respect to ALL SNWMF crew!

AJ
July 15, 2013 01:57PM
Top 5 from 2013.....................
Prince Fatty with Horseman & Hollie Cook
Sister Carol
Gaudi
Leroy Sibbles
Alpha Blondy & The Solar System

Basically the whole weekend was full of favorites.
But the Marleys/GYC "imho" were entertaining at best. Just not my cup of tea.
July 15, 2013 02:29PM
Jah shaka
Iqulah
Uprising roots
Protoje
Alpha blondy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login