Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RIP Bobby Blue Bland

Posted by Ras_Adam 
RIP Bobby Blue Bland
June 24, 2013 03:24PM
[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2013 03:25PM by Ras_Adam.
Re: RIP Bobby Blue Bland
June 24, 2013 04:31PM
That article's not quite correct...I remember hearing this tune on top 40 radio when I was a young boy, and being moved and awed by the power of his soaring, testifying voice. It barely crept on to the pop charts, but I'm glad it did.

June 25, 2013 04:34PM
His songbook extended to JA, where Delroy Wilson and Tyrone Taylor had hits on Mr. Bland's tunes. He was an extraordinary, game changing vocalist in the blues/R&B world----real adult music for the nightlife, seen? Rest In peace Bobby, you were the Cool Boss Of The Blues.
June 25, 2013 05:51PM
Didn't mention the the album Two Steps From The Blues?...whada pity.

That is one of the best R&B albums of all time, IMHO.

I guess you almost would have had to live in that era when that album came out to really appreciate it...all tracks excellent.

From Wiki:

Two Steps from the Blues is a 1961 compilation album by Bobby Bland. It compiles five songs recorded between 1956 and 1960 and seven songs recorded in two sessions from August 3 to November 12, 1960. The sessions took place in the Universal Studio in Chicago, where Bland and his backing band moved after a series of successful singles and albums. The backing band was composed of Joe Scott and Melvin Jackson (trumpet), Pluma Davis (trombone), Robert Skinner and L. A. Hill (tenor saxophone), Rayfield Devers (baritone saxophone), Teddy Reynolds (piano), Clarence Holloman (guitar on some tracks, notably "I Don't Want No Woman," where Bobby Bland shouts, "Look out, Clarence!" in the middle of the guitar solo), Wayne Bennett (guitar on other tracks), Hamp Simmons (bass), and John "Jabo" Starks (drums). Scott also served as an arranger.

The album was critically and commercially successful. It produced two singles, "I Pity The Fool" and "Don't Cry No More", which charted at number 1 and 2 on the Billboard R&B chart, respectively. Two Steps from the Blues was ranked at number 217 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.
June 25, 2013 06:09PM
The world has no idea how much it will miss this beautiful soul.

My best friend in the world passed away last autumn -- this is one of our songs.

June 25, 2013 10:26PM
One of the very best. What a blessing to still have the music that this man made.
AJ
July 27, 2013 11:39AM
Love his version of "St. James Infirmary". Also Eric Burdon & The Animals did a nice cover of the same song back in 1968.
I saw him twice here in St. Louis ~ great singer & entertainer.
RIP
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login