Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windy City at SNWMF 2013

Posted by Daniel 
Windy City at SNWMF 2013
June 24, 2013 10:13PM
If you've got photos of them at SNWMF, please post them here or email them to me. I'm trying to put together a 'package' of memories for them to take back to Korea when they leave on Friday.

Windy City IS performing in SAN JOSE TONIGHT (Tuesday) night at 9:00pm

To me, the ultimate personification of ROOTS MUSIC - To The Bone

Janchi Reggae

Reflections from over on the other side

Maximum RASpect to the guy in the middle for having the vision.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 05:23PM by Daniel.
Re: Windy City at SNWMF 2013
June 24, 2013 10:32PM
Can I share the top photo on Facebook, Daniel? Just wanted to express my love of this band.

Thanks, and great meeting you finally!

Jeff
June 24, 2013 10:36PM
Thanks Daniel, see you there.
June 24, 2013 10:51PM
When the band bowed to each other, and then bowed to the crowd at the beginning of their performance, i got goosebumps. Great band, great set.

Love that reggae!
June 24, 2013 11:06PM
nomotrouble
When the band bowed to each other, and then bowed to the crowd at the beginning of their performance, i got goosebumps. Great band, great set.

Me too. I know you'll have the goods comin NoMo ; )
June 24, 2013 11:33PM
Oh ya!

Love that reggae!
June 24, 2013 11:34PM
Loved em. It was such a great experience to see the joy in their eyes and smiles on their faces when the crowd was applauding them.
June 25, 2013 12:27AM
June 25, 2013 12:57AM
Question???? Is windy city their true name? Or is that what their Korean name translates to?
June 25, 2013 01:16AM
Will do Daniel... I'll get those to you inna couple days.
June 25, 2013 02:48AM
Without a doubt, Windy City's performance was nothing short of extraordinary. Will never forget seeing them perform this year! Agreed, Big Thanks & RASpect to the guy in the middle of the photo for having the vision to bring them here. Big Up Warren-Amazing! Thanks for all the photo's here Daniel. Jo and I will be sending you ours shortly.
Cheers,
Baggariddim/BaggaJo Reggae
June 25, 2013 02:49AM
P.S. The Windy City album we bought is terrific!
June 25, 2013 02:54AM
What Bagga said.... We loved Windy City, biggest most pleasant surprise of the weekend! I'm sorting through all the pictures now. Just got a batch up on facebook....will put the link to them in the picture thread. I'll email you the Windy City ones Daniel. Might have to wait till tomorrow though. So tired!

Jolene/BaggaJo Reggae
June 25, 2013 05:14AM
Daniel, I'll make this a priority and get some sent to you when I get to them this weekend.
We fly home Wednesday out of San Jose and are hoping we get to see Windy City one more time before we go home.
Please share the details of the Tuesday night show as soon as you can.

Thanks,

Scotti
June 25, 2013 07:51AM

(546 min remaining as of 1:20 am....)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 07:55AM by dancing_D.
June 25, 2013 03:55PM
Here's the interview they did at KZYX's booth shortly after their set on Saturday:

June 25, 2013 04:04PM

Question???? Is windy city their true name? Or is that what their Korean name translates to?

As Kim Ban Jang explains from an interview a few years ago, the band took its name from the record label "Windy City" formed by Curtis Mayfield in 1968 "because he wanted to find new artists in the ghetto."

Read more about Windy City here....
June 25, 2013 04:12PM
Daniel

As Kim Ban Jang explains from an interview a few years ago, the band took its name from the record label "Windy City" formed by Curtis Mayfield in 1968 "because he wanted to find new artists in the ghetto."

Read more about Windy City here....
Thank you Daniel
June 25, 2013 05:03PM
Meet the members of Windy City:

Kim Ban Jang - Drum / Lead Vocal

Beck Junghyun - Melodica / Keyboards

Oh Jinwoo - Guitar

Ra Guk San - Percusssion / Chorus / Dub effect

Shin Jae Won - Digeridoo / Percussion / Chorus

Noh SunTek - Bass Guitar

Windy City - Vibing at SNWMF 2013
June 25, 2013 08:45PM

A beautiful thing!!!

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
June 26, 2013 01:31AM
Got a chance to meet these guys just before Alpha Blondy. What a great group of peeps, extremely humble and friendly, and man did they jam! Wish I could get to San Jose tonight! Hopefully we will see Windy City again soon! Safe travels.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2013 02:22AM by jcom.
June 26, 2013 02:58PM
Here's one from last night in San Jose courtesy of Scotti-B:

FYI, 3 of the members of Windy City also perform in the band I and I Djangdan who have released an album entitled "Guidance." They had a few copies of that album while on the village stage but they were long gone before the weekend was over. But you can purchase Guidance at Ernie Bs.......
June 28, 2013 02:12AM
Yo Daniel....

Gotta a little something for you in your inbox my friend... I hope I got these out to you in time! Was wonderful to experience these guys in person we are lucky indeed to have such a wonderful festival in our backyard.

Big up!!

June 29, 2013 08:02PM
Daniel (or anyone else), if you have found them, can you please post any and all links to Windy City websites. Their Facebook page is essentially blank and any others I have found are seriously lacking. I'd like to check their bios, discography, etc and also find a place to puchase their CDs/downloads. I'd really love to help support this band to ensure they keep rocking for many years to come. Thx in advance.

p.s. - Daniel, I'd be very happy to hear that they made it home safe and would love to hear any feedback they give you.
June 29, 2013 08:45PM
Here is Windy City's Web Site

Here is Windy City's Facebook Page (show them some love)

Here is a link to the Spotlight on Windy City piece I put together

Here is a link to purchase Windy City's "Full Greeting" EP on iTunes

Here is a link to purchase the "Guidance" album by I and I Djangdan (that includes several Windy City Members and I recommend haile)

And here is a portion of the email I received yesterday:

Hi, everyone!
We got home safe today.
I feel like I didn't say thank enough to you all.
It was really wonderful experience for us to be a part of the 20th SNWMF.
It is really really rare opportunity to see all the great reggae musicians for us living in Korea.
Thank you so much for inviting us.
We got much inspirations and positive vibration from the festival and California.
It was one of the best festival in my life.
hope to see you all next year.

FYI, Beck Junghyun also plays accordion in a next band called Surisuri Mahasuri. Here's a video from Surisuri Mahasuri:

And here is their record label (Bibim's) sound cloud page where you'll find stuff from Windy City, Bibim Dub Trio and I and I Djangdan as well as a few others.....
June 29, 2013 10:03PM
Thanks Daniel! I have no idea how I couldn't find their FB page before.
June 29, 2013 10:10PM

Love that reggae!
jps
June 30, 2013 12:40AM
Thank you all for exposing this band to me. Had never heard of them before this past week but am loving the footage from Nomo. Serious talent and vibes they bring.
June 30, 2013 06:55AM
This week's broadcast of The Uprising features a 2-hour SPOTLIGHT ON KOREAN REGGAE featuring music, an interview and excerpts from WINDY CITY's performances at Sierra Nevada World Music Festival and at South First Billiards in San Jose along with selections from I AND I DJANGDON, BIBIM DUB TRIO and ASOTO UNION.

Listen to the Podcast Here....
June 30, 2013 07:51AM
Give thx Nomo and Windy City! Soon Come...

One Love
June 30, 2013 07:51PM
July 03, 2013 05:47PM
I love this one from Jahvtz Blanton:
July 05, 2013 06:21PM
I've taken Nomotrouble's excellent video and laid some better quality audio over it for your listening/viewing pleasure.

July 05, 2013 07:44PM
Good job Daniel!

Love that reggae!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login