Fest constructive criticism
June 25, 2013 11:55AM
Yagga yo, had a great time at the festy and already looking forward to next year. One thing that I thought worthy of commenting on was the bottleneck going into the main stage Area. With the coffee and beer booth plus all the baby strollers And crowd, it got super hectic entering the main stage area. Wonder if coffee and beer should be further back and have a designated area for crowd to come through. The fest seems to be operating smoother and smoother as years roll on. Anyone else thoughts on this?
Re: Fest constructive criticism
June 25, 2013 12:03PM
Yes, I agree with you there TeachDem. I also think it would be a good idea to open up the 'artists entrance' of the loop lot late at night in order to enable to masses to leave the venue without having to go out through the main entrance to the bowl.

Please keep the constructive feedforward coming.....
June 25, 2013 12:10PM
Good suggestion indeed. Noticed the congestion just at the entrance and mostly went along the stands to go around as it got a bit claustrophobic for me.

Only other constructive comment is perhaps have more staff on the first day to steer people around/help with checking in. Took about an hour to buy my 3 day ticket (no waiting there) and get in due to the line. As I got to the head of said line, the much shorter one day ticket line next to it was converted to anything goes. Missed a couple of acts, but its all good. Certainly did not upset me as I thought about all the upcoming good music.

Kudos to all who bring the good vibes and music. SNWMF did not disappoint!

-much love-
June 25, 2013 12:16PM
I agree with both points. The main stage entrance area does get pretty clogged up from time to time, and the wristband line was a pain in the ass to stand in only to be told your in the wrong line, then get to the front again and be told they could have helped you in the first line. In fact now that I think of it, every year I have had a bad experience with the ticket/wristband situation. Maybe let seasoned volunters or more responsive volunters man the main entrance. Kinda frustrating when you have no idea what's going on, only to be greeted by someone who knows less than you. Otherwise,,,,,yes another tremendous year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 01:21PM by east bay herbalist.
June 25, 2013 01:18PM
Agreed with all the points on the long wristband line. Maybe the people that wristband fest goers should wait to smoke any kaya ;-)
The guy that helped me and my Queen was moving sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow...!!
Bigups to all the SNWMF staff for another blessed celebration!!
June 25, 2013 01:34PM
Diesel fumes on the Village Stage. My perennial comment.
June 25, 2013 01:55PM
Water, man a need dat. Just before leaving for the night I realized there was that water tent adjacent to the beer and coffee near the main stage. I admit earlier in the day I had drained my camelback and was desperately in need of a refill. I know all the vendors sell water but these filling stations are crucial and maybe there should be more and they should be more visible or advertised. I guess it is possible that I had trouble locating them with my irie eyeglasses on, however I'm sure there were some parched souljahs out there feeling the same way.

Shade, man a kill fe dat. While the 2 shade clothes on the main lawn are nice, they've been staked out by families since 8am, half of whom are
Not there but their blankets And gear are. Could there be more shade cloth areas on the main lawn?

It's a long day or three days and all these things would make people more comfortable and less likely to have medical issues. Big up!!
June 25, 2013 01:56PM
On the one hand i have to say that the porta potties in the press check in area were remarkably clean.

The diesel fumes at the village are a problem. I realize it's the generator, not sure if it can be sited more remotely, or rig up a large hose and pump to take away the fumes.

I would also say that the sound at the Valley stage is too loud. When i went to the back of the area, just in front of the vending booths at the back, it was still too loud. I understand that there are those who just want it as loud as it can possibly be, but really, it sounds better when its not turned up to 12.

Keep in mind that i'm complaining mildly about a couple really minor things wrong with heaven.

Love that reggae!
June 25, 2013 02:01PM
Oh...and one more major complaint. The festival is too short and a year is too long smiling smiley
June 25, 2013 02:01PM
In regards to the wrist band situation, there should be an easy to notice sign or signs to let people know which line they need to be standing in; not just something that is hardly discernible from 30 or 40 feet away written on 8 x 12 paper spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
June 25, 2013 02:04PM
I had a great time, but find myself wishing the shirt/clothing line was nicer...been seriously lacking the last couple of years...several people both in line and out and about saying the same thing...seems like we're all buying cause we wanna show our support, but the only thing I really liked was a zip-up jacket that wasn't actually available to regular folks...I ended up with the blue long sleeve, basically, the same. Shirt I got last year...Designs and actually clothing pieces could be a whole lot Betta in my humble opinion!
June 25, 2013 02:08PM
papajoshua
Diesel fumes on the Village Stage. My perennial comment.

I agree with that. Ran my fiance off a few times. I just kept the herb flowing so I couldnt smell it but it was a very potent smell at times. Other than that I have nothing to complain about. Staff was all very friendly. Vendors were great. Music was on time. Bathrooms and showers kept clean.

One thing that I think is weird is that for camping the earlier you get there on friday the further away you are from the bowl. I got there early friday morning to get in line and ended up in the very back corner. I had to think long and hard to find something that I could criticize on. That was all I could come up with.

Amazing festival. Thank you Warren, Daniel and CO.
June 25, 2013 02:58PM
Am I the only person that doesn't like the physical festival wristband. By the end of the weekend it's nasty. You cant really clean it so once it's got beer or food on it they are just dirty for the weekend. Plastic ones just wash off and dry with no problem.

ALSO I AM OVER ALL THE DOGS. I don't really get it. Let's take a big ass Doberman pintcher to a festival... WHY???
June 25, 2013 03:40PM
I agree with most of the above comments. To add I say have more trash, recycling and compost bins on both sides of the main entrance. That way you can dunk your bottle or can without looking like a suspect when you dump it as you walk in. Also expand and move the main entrance to the way it has been in years past. This year it was as far away as it could be at the front entrance and was a bottle neck. Please enforce a rule that peoe can not leave the canopies over night to save their spot from the night before. I feel this is unfair to those who follow the rules an wait in line with canopies looking for a good spot for our families.
I espiacialy want more time for big names. I felt that some veterans and big names were rushed in their sets but then again I guess you have to pull the plug sometime.
As always a great festival and I know that some of these comments are nitpicking.
June 25, 2013 04:09PM
1) Congestion:

When I first arrived on Saturday(max crowd), there was an orderly walkway for people on the grandstand side about 15 ft. wide. Then, as the place filled up, some very inconsiderate people came in and setup a canopy halfway into the walkway cutting it in half.

Then later, some even more inconsiderate people came and setup a tent right in the middle of the walkway reducing the width to about 4 ft. Also, on the other side I noticed one vendor had moved his displays out into the walkway creating a bottleneck.

Solution: Paint a white line down each side about 15 ft. out from the vendors and have a someone check periodically to be sure no one had parked in the designated walkways.

2) Sound Systems Volume:

Most, but not all of time, I thought the sound systems were too loud. Especially the Valley stage. We could not carry on a conversation without yelling and we were at the very back because it was so loud. In other words, there was no where to go except outside the area if you weren't comfortable with the sound level. I seemed to notice that when Alpha Blondy was on the volume was set at a more desirable level; Hmmm, was that because they had their own sound board guy? Is LOUDER always better, I think not, there is a reasonable limit. I think 90% of the people don't want that high a sound level.

3) Bass Bin Placement:

Having 20 or so bass bins lined-up front and center of the stage can't be a good practice for the fans and photo people who want a close-up view of their favorite artists. You would be a fool to go down in front of the stage without ear plugs unless you want to permanently ruin your ears.

When I wanted to get a closer look at an artist I had to come in from the side stopping just short of the vertical speaker array.
Not sure why they locate the bass bins like that, probably for cost and convenience for the sound system operator.
I would gladly pay $5 more for my ticket to have those speakers out from the area right directly in front of the stage.

Lots of good improvements this year though, like more toilets and no-hassle entry, that was great.
June 25, 2013 04:09PM
Great Show Overall. Thanks artists, staff, massive and all crews!!!
Cannot overstate that.
That being said for Christs sake do something about the diesel fumes at the village stage after what 6 years. Seriously people.
As far as the beer cOffe bottleneck I'm pretty sure those vendors pay top dollar for that spot, so....
June 25, 2013 04:23PM
strikkly
That being said for Christs sake do something about the diesel fumes at the village stage after what 6 years. Seriously people.

Ok great I thought i was the only one. Sheltered redwood canopy and little bit of am cloud cover turns that whole space into a toxic diesel hotbox. I completely overstand that it a logistic nightmare but for the sake of the family atmosphere at that stage please do something about it.
June 25, 2013 06:01PM
Gonna pipe in and agree on the desiel fumes... I literally have to steel myself to get in there and shoot anything, the fumes are that bad... But I was really shocked when I went down to shoot Asheba's children's show (kids are so photogenic!) Only to realize that the poor unfortunate (but extremely cute!) wee ones were being forced to dance and jump in a toxic soup of desiel fumes... Not a good look.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 06:04PM by Christopher.
June 25, 2013 06:24PM
The usual camping area late-night party drama reared it head as always. Having heard the same thing from at least 20 different people, the main issue was that a whole lot of people were looking for a modern energetic sound (like JWS) Saturday night, and by 1am or so, Downbeat was no longer cutting it. Security was extremely intolerant to any music in the camping area, so Saturday night / Sunday morning turned into a gigantic game of whack-a-mole. The Paul Blart would drive around in their security carts shutting down some music on one side of the camp area, only to have somebody turn the music up on the other side of camp. This went on for hours. I found the golf carts zooming right by my tent (at least 20 times, honestly) to be much more disturbing then any type of music. Perhaps it is a bit of cognitive dissonance to organize a festival where a sizable percentage of people age 16-32 are on some serious synthetic drugs, and not provide a late night venue where those people can enjoy music and focus their energy. Instead, we end up with these people wandering the campsites ALL night long, asking each other "dude, where's the party?"
June 25, 2013 06:24PM
Since things are being brought up, I only have a couple of complaints, minor ones:

1. Staff needs to be directing who goes in which lines to get wristbands. The confusion between one day and three day in regards to which lines were which, caused some bad feelings between people waiting.

2. I thought the bass and sound was a little muffled and distorted at the Valley Stage due to high volume and high bass controls. I agree with RW on this one.

Other than that, THANK YOU WARREN AND CREW FOR SUCH A WONDERFUL WEEKEND.

Peace

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 07:58PM by J_72.
June 25, 2013 08:02PM
Like Christopher said
NOT A GOOD LOOK SNWMF!!!!!!!
June 25, 2013 08:19PM
I didn't find the bottlenecking to be too much of a problem.

There's gotta be a way to vent/pipe those fumes outta there. Especially us 707 folks...we are experts at ventilation, ducting, etc. Wink, wink.

Also, way too many babies with no hearing protection. Shameless plug for my wife's and my invention to protect the little ones' ears and to look cool as well. We need to get some red, gold, and green ones made up. [www,babysmuffs.com]

Please like us on Facebook all you festy folks! [www.facebook.com]

Bless!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2013 08:22PM by jcom.
June 25, 2013 10:56PM
I was camped next to a campground soundsystem, the loudest one in the place. I think I got about a combined 8 or 9 hours of sleep the entire weekend. The dam thing was going all night until about 4 or 5 am, and would start back up at about 6 or 7am. The controllers and djs of this tin pan sound (one DJ hailing by the name of Cassidy) were intoxicated beyond measure on all manner of substances, and played reggae about 30% of the time. The rest of the 70% was pretty crappy hip hop and dubstep. Several of us asked them, or yelled at them, to turn it down early in the am many times, with little to no results. I was seriously vexed by their blatant substance abuse and disregard to their neighbors well being. I guess I am getting older, but seriously? Is it unreasonable to expect to get some freakin sleep? This will be the last time I camp at the fairgrounds.
June 26, 2013 09:13AM
There should be an honor-system rule that everyone has to remove any shade structures and chairs from anywhere in front of the sound board once the sun goes down. This would help remove some of the "bottleneck" and allow more free and easy movement within the fairgrounds.

@Pale Ryder- That sucks. I had to deal with the same thing last year which is why I will probably never camp in the main campground again...

Bless Up SNWMF!
June 26, 2013 09:21AM
I think campsite size should be based on number of ppl in the car rather than per car. We are encouraged to carpool to the event but then penalized by only getting a 10 by 10 or 12 by 12 space for a car full of ppl, that doesn't make any sense to me.
June 26, 2013 09:23AM
Sorry to hear about your bad experieces Pale Ryder and Reggabe. I would like to add that we had great neighbors around us. Yes there was music being played till sunrise. But I did hear SNWMF staff ask them a few times to turn it down and then off. I felt it was not a big deal really as they are at the festival to have fun. I threw in some ear plugs and rested up for the next day. Thank you to SNWMF staff for trying their best to enforce the rules in a postive way. I really thought that the late dub step would be a problem and it was not IMHO.
June 26, 2013 09:31AM
Absolutely amazing weekend as it is every year! My only complaint is that in addition to the volume on the valley stage being generally too loud, the bass is way too high if you're up near the front. I understand that bass decays faster and therefore needs to be louder if it's going to carry, but there's so many people right up by the stage, and when you're that close its hard to hear anything other than the bass. Thank you again for another amazing year!
June 26, 2013 10:09AM
I didn't see any uniformed law enforcement presence inside or outside of the festival venue this year in contrast to previous years...did I simply miss them? No police dogs either?

If that's true, perhaps its because the festival listened to people's complaints last year and convinced Law Enforcement agencies that no visible presence was necessary. And of course, the festival saves money because I assume they would be billed for those services. Definitely a well-behaved crowd in general, I never saw one incident although I would be surprised if there were absolutely none over the entire weekend with that many people.

Surprisingly, camping at Hendy Woods State Park was another story. Because a lot of people had been coming into the park late Thursday night and leaving early Friday morning without paying, they cracked down by bringing in a couple of very aggressive Park Rangers to write Camping Ticket violations for those who didn't pay...I heard they wrote up at least 10 people for the $150 ticket. Anyway, these same State Park Rangers were very anti-marijuana for whatever reason. Hey, isn't this Mendocino County? If appears without basis, that they had the gall to go up to some campsites and announce:..."No marijuana smoking in this campground" And, at 1130pm at night, they spotted one person rolling a joint at a campsite picnic table and came in and made him burn-up his entire stash and threatened to arrest him. This appears to all come about because some people think its sporting and cool to cheat the system...shame on them.
June 26, 2013 10:21AM
Law enforcement WAS present and WAS paid John. In fact, they get paid even when they are NOT there as was the case on Sunday in 2008 when most of them were off dealing with all the fires started by the lightening the previous night....
June 26, 2013 10:24AM
wow Rythmwize, that's whack about the Hendy rangers! Isn't it now just a misdemenour for posession of 1 oz. or less of weed in Cali? They are State Park workers, no? They have no right to arrest ANYONE for smoking ganja!

I had a similar experience at Whiskeytown Lake years ago. We got seriously sweated by some rangers about smoking a joint! They came to our campsite for sound curfew, but smelled our still burning roach which I had just thrown under the picnic table. They tried & tried to find some evidence but could not, but still lined us up and checked all our i.d.'s. They were being serious a-holes and I had no respect for them. They seem like wanna-be cops on a power trip. Our laws are really messed up when one can't go to the country and unwind from the daily grind by chilling with a beer and a joint with friends in nature... ISN'T THAT WHAT LIFE'S ALL ABOUT!!
June 26, 2013 10:26AM
@Rhythmwize - There was plenty of law enforcement at the fest and for whatever reason every time I saw them they had smiles on their faces. I was actually impressed how they didn't have to assert their authority to keep the peace and not once did I see them ask somebody extinguish their fire even when they were blazing a few feet from them. So I gotta give respect to the Boonville LE for this.
June 26, 2013 10:52AM
Reggabe
There should be an honor-system rule that everyone has to remove any shade structures and chairs from anywhere in front of the sound board once the sun goes down.

You know, I have to worry a little about all those canopies in front of me when the winds are high. I have a lot of experience with those canopies at soccer matches, auto races and in the desert off-roading; And, if not secured properly they can take off and soar through the air, Ive seen it happen many times. My canopies weight over 40 lb's, if you got hit with one of those you could be seriously injured or even killed.

I think the festival should consider banning them or at least checking to be sure they are secured properly with the proper stakes.

The other thing is its seems a little unfair to allow one or two people to sit under their canopy taking up 100 sq ft. of prime viewing space.
June 26, 2013 11:37AM
Rhythmwize
The other thing is its seems a little unfair to allow one or two people to sit under their canopy taking up 100 sq ft. of prime viewing space.

problem as I see it is that they DON'T sit under their canopy. They pitch their stage blocker canopy and then leave, stopping by every once in a while to make sure it is still blocking view of the stage.....
June 26, 2013 12:21PM
the main bowl choke was terrible. need to have the beer vendors near the back of the bowl where there is lots of extra space, not crammed into the front.... the other thing that really bugged me was the village stage was angled way more towards the barns than in years past making the view from the gazebo area pretty lame. most of the time all you could see was a lighting truss and some speakers... for those who hang near that side it was a real bummer... including many folks with kids.... please return it to the angle it has been positioned before.... also it was nicer when the vendors were not camped at the back end of the kids lawn/drum temple area, as that area was wide open to walk thru and check the vendors. this year there was just a small walkway in the back to get in and out....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 26, 2013 12:48PM
I very much enjoyed the dancehall especially saturday night, however it wasn't the type of dance hall I would expect for a late night festival and one that I thought should be geared more toward a discotec...aka a dance hall. I would have prefered a DJ who actually mixed beats and riddems to create live unique tracks and while roots are great, I feel I got that from live performances throughout the day. I would prefer to hear a mix of roots over top of new dancehall riddems and artists like collie buddz or throw some sizzla in. I wanted to get down with my bad self but saturday the dj's stopped the music every 30-45 seconds to talk...wish it wouldve been not stop artistry live on stage.

every thing else, on par,,,although canopies in the main area for valley stage, were somewhat obnoxious to work around
June 26, 2013 01:49PM
The beer vendors will get plenty of business where ever they are placed, the one that was at the main entrance made it difficult to move through with a good flow. This wasn't just an issue this year but in previous as well. I also didn't get close to the stage this year due to the sound (preserve what is left of my hearing). With that said was another year of sweet festival vibes in the epically beautiful Andersen Valley! Many thanks to everyone that makes this festival happen each and every year.
June 26, 2013 04:49PM
kenaafrica
I very much enjoyed the dancehall especially saturday night, however it wasn't the type of dance hall I would expect for a late night festival and one that I thought should be geared more toward a discotec... aka a dance hall................. the dj's stopped the music every 30-45 seconds to talk...... wish it wouldve been not stop artistry live on stage

it's not a "late night festival" and you obviously don't understand how the dancehall works... live on stage is happening all day, so the dancehall is the place to hear records... not to go see some dude pressing buttons, or yelling into a megaphone for that matter.... it's for reggae selectors to play other music we didn't get a chance to hear during the day... or from all the other artists who are not at the festival...

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 26, 2013 05:12PM
turn up the volume in the dancehall please!
and please either enforce rules regarding dogs and bikes or remove them

Respect Same Way
June 26, 2013 05:19PM
Were there unauthorized dogs at the festival? All the ones I saw had 'tags' that were in order.....
June 26, 2013 09:21PM
kenaafrica
I would have prefered a DJ who actually mixed beats and riddems to create live unique tracks and while roots are great, I feel I got that from live performances throughout the day. I would prefer to hear a mix of roots over top of new dancehall riddems and artists like collie buddz or throw some sizzla in. I wanted to get down with my bad self but saturday the dj's stopped the music every 30-45 seconds to talk...wish it wouldve been not stop artistry live on stage.

thumbs down
June 27, 2013 07:12AM
Daniel
Were there unauthorized dogs at the festival? All the ones I saw had 'tags' that were in order.....

THis is so stupid. Anyone can pay $500 and get a licence from a doctor to bring a dog for any stupid reason. I will agree there are a few that need them for diabeaties, but most don't need them. There need to be validating process for the ones that truly need it. If you cant spend 3 days at a festival without a dog maybe you shouldn't be there. On another topic I think it's just cruel to the dog. The music is way to loud for them.
When's it going to stop??? When someone gets bit. I am wondering as a concert promoter too about who will be liable. I know my insurrance for shows will not cover dogs.
June 27, 2013 08:58AM
I only saw one dog and it was a service dog. I really don't see how this is even an issue...
June 27, 2013 09:51AM
As I recall there were no venders near the entrance to the Valley Stage nor along the length of the livestock fence fronting the main grandstand the first couple of years in Boonville. This was perfect as it allowed for much more room for the masses who wanted to congregate. I think if you allowed venders to set up from about the middle of the main grandstand toward the back it could possibly alleviate some congestion at the entrance of the Valley Stage.
I would also like to see a limit on the height, width, and length of shelter allowed in the Valley Stage. Not saying that there shouldn't be any, but some people are really stretching the limits. When my view is obstructed by a house, this is when I miss the bowl configuration of Marysville and Angels Camp. smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/27/2013 03:14PM by gmoney.
June 27, 2013 11:40AM
One improvement would be to make sure bags are searched for glass and air horns in particular. Not once did anyone look in my bag which is contrary to years past. People and kids with air horns can be real obnoxious, even Abja seemed to notice during the beginning of his set . . . . gave some serious stink eye to one patron. loved it.
June 27, 2013 02:08PM
There is only one thing that would make it better and that would be if it was longer! It always seems to fly by so fast. I would love if we had the option of camping a day early (I think reggae on the river does this) for an extra charge. I understand that would cost more to add an additional day but I think it would be worth it! Just an idea smiling smiley
June 28, 2013 10:30AM
Reggae_lover71
One improvement would be to make sure bags are searched for glass and air horns in particular. Not once did anyone look in my bag which is contrary to years past.

No....that's not an improvement, its a step backward...Slows down the entry process and requires additional personnel.

How about having just one person on the audience floor with the authority to enforce the rules and confiscate any air horns if that becomes a problem. Hey, after all, they are simply signaling with their air horn, here I am, come and get me!
June 28, 2013 10:38AM
There are 'enforcers' present on the fairgrounds throughout the weekend dealing with things like glass bottles, airhorns and all those shade structures that originally got placed in front of the sound board on Friday afternoon that were later removed.

Given the number of people that attended and the 'land-grabbing' that some took to with their tents and popups, I wouldn't be surprised if those things were banned entirely from the valley stage (though personally I think the 'line' should be moved back from behind the sound board to behind the tent structures provided by the festival).....
June 28, 2013 11:09AM
Daniel
Given the number of people that attended and the 'land-grabbing' that some took to with their tents and popups, I wouldn't be surprised if those things were banned entirely from the valley stage (though personally I think the 'line' should be moved back from behind the sound board to behind the tent structures provided by the festival).....

Yes, thats what I thought as well. Allow them to be setup way in the back and have someone check to be sure they are properly secured down.

I can see there is a need in some cases, especially if the shade under the festival tent structures is fully taken and its a really hot and sunny day.

But its obvious now, people are abusing the privelege...aint that a shame. Give people an inch and they take a mile.
June 28, 2013 01:25PM
Reggae_lover71
One improvement would be to make sure bags are searched for glass and air horns in particular. Not once did anyone look in my bag which is contrary to years past.

Disagree, I don't want anyone looking in my bag. I didn't bring horns or glass, therefore, I consider myself a respectful patron. I don't like micro brews and IPAs, so I will admit that I "smuggled" in a couple of frosty cans of choice Mexican beer just to cool out in the grandstand....those cans went in the recycle bin. I don't feel I did anything wrong. And, as stated above, it would really slow things down.

Also, I guess I got lucky, I never once had a problem with the so called "bottleneck" by the coffee. Maybe a little ducking and dodging, but that's okay...to me it's funny when I'm heading in to see the people heading out that clearly need a breather and a chill out as opposed to going out and seeing the excitement and anticipation of the people going in. Great place to see many faces of the fest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/28/2013 01:26PM by jcom.
June 28, 2013 01:46PM
Funny as I read all the constructive criticism we are coming up with I think we are really reaching on some. I know that I had to think long and hard to come up with something. It is pretty amazing that SNWMF has it dialed so well. When you think about everything that goes into planning an event like this. Biggest deal to me was the fact that they were pretty well on time for the whole weekend. I cant think of anyone that got cut short?? When you are dealing with curfews it means a lot to be on time. As far as the bag thing goes, they felt our bags everytime we went in. never looked inside but they did take the time to feel the bag to ensure we did not put glass bottles or cans in it. That is fair IMO.
June 28, 2013 03:18PM
I understand the inconvenience of canopies between the skin board and back of the provided canopy. However many of us come because it is billed o be a family friendly event. If the canopy can be seen through then I think it should be allowed to the left, right and behind the sound board. Parents need to keep the kids contained and protect them from drunks stepping on them. My problem is those that stake the best spots over night. I believe that is not fair for those that flow the times an wait I'm line every morning.
June 28, 2013 09:28PM
I loved the fact that Windy City played both stages and were different on each. In future I would enjoy seeing 2 or 3 artists play both stages, particularly if they are new.

The wait to get a wristband was a drag; however, I love the cloth version not plastic. In fact, I and I am still wearing my band from two years ago (I'm on biannual plan due to distance and family matters).

The overt commercialism of Marley Mellow Mood was a bit much.

The lake in the shower room wasn't very fun. It would be nice if it were mopped regularly.

I would appreciate a SNWMF online store with links to artists merchandise, particularly CD. I would pay for soundboard downloads if they were made available. Or perhaps show could be archived online for awhile.

I think lighting could be improved at night. I recall ROTR used to use floods. The lighting as-is is a bit busy and not always artist focused.

I would enjoy some impromptu performances (eg, imagine if Damian had dropped in on the dancehall for Jamrock).

A few more postings of performance schedule would be great.
June 28, 2013 09:56PM
These responses are GREAT and WILL be takend into consideration for future years, so keep them coming.......
June 29, 2013 06:39AM
After watching the video of Windy City at the village in its entirety, i have some constructive criticism. Bring more acts here like that! Holy toledo, forget about the ticket line, the diesel smoke, congestion, etc....those issues are nothing compared to the electric positivity created by witnessing Windy City, and the opportunity to videotape them. Though i couldn't understand much of what was said, it was captivating. Who needs a horn section when you have a didgeridoo? Fortunately their performance at the Village will become one of those SNWMF youtube videos for the world to watch....

Love that reggae!
June 29, 2013 10:54AM
We love SNWMF, every year we come away saying "This has got to be the best festival ever!".

The only thing really I can think of is there should not be an act on the village stage during the Pomo blessing/dance at the valley stage. To be more respectful maybe hold off to have bands start till 6:30pm. Other than that I've got no complaints.

Jolene
BaggaJo
June 29, 2013 10:55AM
Jahsiah
My problem is those that stake the best spots over night. I believe that is not fair for those that flow the times an wait I'm line every morning.

They actually clear the bowl each night. Folks line up at like 8 in order to claim the best spots in the morning. It's a little bit of a mad rush, but usually not very crowded as most people are still sleeping, etc.

I do agree about the bottleneck thing - and I think I clearly marked path would help - as would keeping the shade structures BEHIND the sound board.

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
June 29, 2013 12:12PM
Dubguy

I do agree about the bottleneck thing - and I think I clearly marked path would help - as would keeping the shade structures BEHIND the sound board.

agreed with Dubguy and everyone else on these two points.

the shade thing is a rule, but knuckleheads do stupid @#$%& anyway... sucks to have to bring "enforcement" into things, but when people act fools they're asking to get corrected.
June 29, 2013 01:01PM
How do they get in at 8 when security doesn't open the gates till 10:00?
AJ
July 07, 2013 07:42AM
Rhythmwize
ISurprisingly, camping at Hendy Woods State Park was another story. Because a lot of people had been coming into the park late Thursday night and leaving early Friday morning without paying, they cracked down by bringing in a couple of very aggressive Park Rangers to write Camping Ticket violations for those who didn't pay...I heard they wrote up at least 10 people for the $150 ticket. Anyway, these same State Park Rangers were very anti-marijuana for whatever reason. Hey, isn't this Mendocino County? If appears without basis, that they had the gall to go up to some campsites and announce:..."No marijuana smoking in this campground" And, at 1130pm at night, they spotted one person rolling a joint at a campsite picnic table and came in and made him burn-up his entire stash and threatened to arrest him. This appears to all come about because some people think its sporting and cool to cheat the system...shame on them.

Parking ticket ~ I talked to a ranger at the main entrance station Thursday morning & I told her we had a friend coming in late Saturday night/Sunday morning. She told me "It's okay to pay for the extra vehicle the next morning". The extra fee is only $10. Well....at 6:38 am on Sunday my friend was issued a $68 ticket before we were able to put the $$$ into the drop box by the camp host. We have never had a problem with this before with other friends. He went to the ranger station & talked to the same ranger. She told him that the other ranger went "overboard" and there was nothing she could do ~ it's a real ticket. He paid the $10 extra vehicle fee and will fight the ticket.
Although I will camp at Hendy Woods again, I have lost alot of respect for the California State Park System ~ angry smiley. It seems there is a chain of command issue at Hendy. There is more than one "bad apple" working at Hendy. That being said most of the workers at Hendy are very nice.
This is just another case of where the good guys pay for the bad guys & yes "shame on them". So it goes..............

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2013 02:28PM by AJ.
July 08, 2013 02:11PM
Jahsiah

I didn't say they got in at 8 - they start lining up with their blankets, etc. to claim their spot...

I saw someone mention the lake in the showers - that has been bugging me for years. A few shower curtains would go a long way to making the shower behind the grandstands a much better experience. Fairly cheap too....

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
July 08, 2013 09:01PM
Dubguy
Jahsiah

I didn't say they got in at 8 - they start lining up with their blankets, etc. to claim their spot...

I saw someone mention the lake in the showers - that has been bugging me for years. A few shower curtains would go a long way to making the shower behind the grandstands a much better experience. Fairly cheap too....
No I was secon in line Sunday and when they let us in the area in both sides behind the sound board were pretty full with canopy poles but no canvas tarps to cover them. I was lucky to find a spot to the left but Saturday the line was longer and it did fill up hella faster. I literally was the second person to walk in Sunday after my Saturday experience.
AJ
August 08, 2013 04:37AM
AJ
Rhythmwize
ISurprisingly, camping at Hendy Woods State Park was another story. Because a lot of people had been coming into the park late Thursday night and leaving early Friday morning without paying, they cracked down by bringing in a couple of very aggressive Park Rangers to write Camping Ticket violations for those who didn't pay...I heard they wrote up at least 10 people for the $150 ticket. Anyway, these same State Park Rangers were very anti-marijuana for whatever reason. Hey, isn't this Mendocino County? If appears without basis, that they had the gall to go up to some campsites and announce:..."No marijuana smoking in this campground" And, at 1130pm at night, they spotted one person rolling a joint at a campsite picnic table and came in and made him burn-up his entire stash and threatened to arrest him. This appears to all come about because some people think its sporting and cool to cheat the system...shame on them.

Parking ticket ~ I talked to a ranger at the main entrance station Thursday morning & I told her we had a friend coming in late Saturday night/Sunday morning. She told me "It's okay to pay for the extra vehicle the next morning". The extra fee is only $10. Well....at 6:38 am on Sunday my friend was issued a $68 ticket before we were able to put the $$$ into the drop box by the camp host. We have never had a problem with this before with other friends. He went to the ranger station & talked to the same ranger. She told him that the other ranger went "overboard" and there was nothing she could do ~ it's a real ticket. He paid the $10 extra vehicle fee and will fight the ticket.
Although I will camp at Hendy Woods again, I have lost alot of respect for the California State Park System ~ angry smiley. It seems there is a chain of command issue at Hendy. There is more than one "bad apple" working at Hendy. That being said most of the workers at Hendy are very nice.
This is just another case of where the good guys pay for the bad guys & yes "shame on them". So it goes..............

My friend got his $68 Hendy Woods' parking/camping ticket dismissed.drinking smileysmileys with beersmiling smiley
He sent the ticket with a note explaining what had happened & it worked. He did pay the $10 extra vehicle fee before he left Sunday morning.
I hope some of the other people were able to work it out.
Next year we will pay the extra fee right away ~ no more funny business.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login