Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jah Shaka

Posted by bun n cheese 
Jah Shaka
June 26, 2013 11:52AM
So the festival experience is not what it used to be for me, im getting older and can't really hang with the hepped up youth of today. If I don't bring my family, I camp next to mayhem in general camping. If I bring my family, family camp is a great experience but I don't get to actually watch any music.

I think I only got to watch part of 2 artists I wanted to see. Gappy Ranks was one of them and only because the hippy bus for kids was parked at the back of the village stage area so I could referee and see the stage. I give thanks to the owner of the hippy bus.

But on Friday night, with everyone finally asleep and a pocket fully of papers and coffee cup full of rocks and bourbon, I ventured out to the dancehall to catch Jah Shaka.

Some sound issues in the beginning which I actually enjoyed because of the tension vibes. Soundman on the board couldn't figured out what was causing the bass rumble feedback from the turntables. Shaka playing Marley tune after (dead air) Marley tune with his sinister glare at the soundboard to figure it out,

Finally Jah Shaka fiddles with the stage mixer and seems to get it sorted though it would return throughout the session.. Bass appears and sounds full and tight through the spectrum. Got the mic sorted and the show can begin.

I get the impression the people standing around have no idea what is going on, can overhear comments about "worst dj ever"

But Shaka laid down the law. Fantastic sounding original productions played out, record flipped and version brought to life with his own vocal singing and chanting.

I've seen Shaka a few times but never has he seemed so interactive and in such good spirits. His physical expressions while he conducted the dub version like a space orchestra was, to me, a clear open window into what makes this music so powerful and why he is so good at it.

The beauty was that the selections didnt seem to have a date, they sounded like they could have been made last week or 2 decades ago.

And he showed his mastery of vibes when he dropped Sizzla's "Praise Ye Jah" to draw the line from his productions to something more conventional.

That version of Garnet Silk's "Complaint" was outstanding.

I guess that's all I have to say about that.
Re: Jah Shaka
June 26, 2013 12:12PM
thumbs up

I was catching that whole thing at the beginning. Great review. Nice meeting you on Friday.

Peace
June 26, 2013 12:14PM
bun n cheese
I get the impression the people standing around have no idea what is going on, can overhear comments about "worst dj ever"

i heard a few of those comments........
SMH.

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
June 26, 2013 12:26PM
great set no doubt... that sizzla and the garnet were played at exactly the right time, hes truly one of the greatest soundmen and selectors in this business

LOL @ "worst dj ever"
I guess it is strange to some people when the dont see a computer and an ableton controller in front of the "dj" confused smiley
June 26, 2013 01:28PM
Sameway J_72
June 26, 2013 01:34PM
Jah Shaka was a big highlight - bringing forth deep vibes in the dance!!! Loved it.
June 26, 2013 01:37PM
tahoearmada
great set no doubt... that sizzla and the garnet were played at exactly the right time, hes truly one of the greatest soundmen and selectors in this business confused smiley

AGREED!!!!
June 26, 2013 02:31PM
I thought he was great! Just doesn't seem like a lot of folks can figure out that UK steppers vibe.....The dance in Amsterdam I attended had way more people bouncing around.
June 26, 2013 09:00PM
uk steppers rules, besides the veteran sound the UK really got the vibes i dig.
June 26, 2013 10:01PM
Damm I missed Ya Buddy I will be in PDX in two weeks cya then
Al
June 27, 2013 02:20PM
I totally agree 100 percent on this Jah shaka statement
June 27, 2013 05:58PM
bun n cheese
Shaka with his sinister glare at the soundboard to figure it out
Really? Gosh I hope Comanche didn't think Shaka was glaring at him! For Shaka's sake! lol... Rastaman flings down sinister glare. RASTAFARI! Pure dramatization.

bun n cheese
Finally Jah Shaka fiddles with the stage mixer and seems to get it sorted
Doubtful. I do recall him doing the exact opposite by fiddling with the stage mixer a few years back.

bun n cheese
original productions played out
Missed the first hour. Do you know which ones?

bun n cheese
when he dropped Sizzla's "Praise Ye Jah"
Everytime he plays.

bun n cheese
That version of Garnet Silk's "Complaint" was outstanding
Everytime he plays.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed his set. So did I.
June 27, 2013 06:13PM
The stage rumble/feedback would happen to anyone in that situation. The raised stage and the featherweight folding table are just asking for it. Put that turntable on some foam on the concrete and it wouldn't happen. But the festival and the people require the raised stage. And the only tables that would fix the problem... would break backs getting them up there.

The true skill is quieting it against these odds.

Here's something...

True Jah Shaka style? 1 turntable on top of a HEAVY rack.... on top of concrete.
June 27, 2013 07:00PM
I'm gonna be the odd one out here and say that Shaka's sets do nothing for me... I guess I feel about him the same way Smoka does about Beres..
June 27, 2013 07:16PM
Suess a gwan madd! I would rather watch Jah Shaka play nothing but One Love on a Fisher Price toy than ever listen to Scratchy B! Lol.

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
June 29, 2013 12:16PM
it was too slow and sleepy for me (again) but i only stayed until a little after 1:00, when it actually seemed to be turning more into something i'd like... but my mind and body were already checking out so i had to go.

overall i have him as ok. of course i realize who he is and the respect he gets (and has earned) as one of the world's most enduring and most important soundmen... but i've still never really gotten a lot from any of his sessions.

that said i do hope to see him in UK someday, and expect something more powerful there.
June 29, 2013 12:33PM
Yes, the session I caught in A-dam on King Shilo's big big bins was totally different. Way more steppers vibe which is my fav. for dancing and keeping me awake/alive when he ran from 1-5:30 or so.
June 30, 2013 02:39PM
Shaka soundman stare

June 30, 2013 03:16PM
Here are a couple more pics that I got with my phone....

July 01, 2013 12:21PM
wonderful pics.

i feel sad for those who can't catch his vibe cuz it's simply awesome.....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
July 01, 2013 04:39PM
I was not impressed at all .. bad sound and his bad vibes after that .. a big let down
July 01, 2013 06:05PM
just curious: what bad vi bes do u speak of marleyluv?
how early did you leave?

Respect Same Way
July 01, 2013 07:44PM
Madd vibes!! After 3 a.m. And i was ready for more! Epic set!

~Highest Heightz Every Time~
July 01, 2013 08:33PM
Ras James
I'm gonna be the odd one out here and say that Shaka's sets do nothing for me... I guess I feel about him the same way Smoka does about Beres..
I would rather see shaka spin some Beres than see Beres him self
July 01, 2013 11:35PM
He's been known to.
July 02, 2013 08:14AM
Sad that I missed Jah Shacka. After Ras Michael I went back to camp to gear up for Jah Shacka. Sadly I laid down to rest for a second. LOL bad move. I woke up in a panic, grabbed what I needed quickly and headed to the dancehall. As i was walking that way, a bunch of peple in seperate groups were walking back to camp. Worried I missed the set I picked up my walk and arrived at the dancehall to nothing but emptiness. Was my only sad moment at the festival. I slept through Jah Shacka.

Thank you for your review Bun N Cheese. I really enjoyed reading it. Also thank you for the pics think tank. I did end up being well rested for Saturdays epic day though!
July 02, 2013 11:57AM
Yeah, I was bummed to miss him also! Along with Max Romeo, he was someone I was most excited about, but after working our arses off Wed, Thursday and Friday morning my batteries were depleted by that time. At least I caught some of Gaudi's craziness, and managed to catch most of Downbeat. I did better than last year with the late night activities this time around.

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
July 02, 2013 03:08PM
I thought the set was awesome. Like bun said, I was impressed with what I assumed were his productions and I was digging his chanting too, real nice. Stoked SNWMF brings out legends the Shaka for us to listen to
July 02, 2013 06:54PM
coming out of retirement to say.....Respect Shaka.
July 10, 2013 11:02AM
Just read an interview with Neil Perch from Zion Train, who had one of my favorite sets at last years SNWMF (2012).
Loved hearing the admiration and respect that he has for Shaka. Here's a little taste.....

When did it first dawn on you that ‘music’ was going to play a big part in your life?

The turning point for me was when I first saw the Jah Shaka sound play. Like others, I was a music fan before that, collecting records and listening to music. But the level of energy in the experience seeing Shaka sound for the first time (for me) made it something special, something that was worth a dedication rather than an interest. It was elevating. That was actually a Shaka dance in a four way sound clash, with Jah Shaka, Saxon Sound, Sir Zima (the Ethiopian World Federation Sound representatives) and Supertone (another South London outfit). I’d never been to such an event before. I didn’t like the other three sounds, as their whole vibe was a bit weird for me. One was overly confrontational and the others were dancehall sounds and I wasn’t really into that. But Shaka was only playing about 30 seconds when it hit – and the energy in that (first) 30 seconds was magnificent. He played on into the early hours, until he was eventually made to stop by the promoter!

To date, what has given you the greatest satisfaction in music?

It’s still having my first tune played by my favourite sound system – Shaka’s - which is a long time ago. When I started making tunes, my one sole drive was to have my tune played in the context in which I first had dub music turn me on – played by Shaka! To have it played by other sounds would be nice, but my thing was that Shaka is my sound. I wanted him to play my tune. Shaka played my first vinyl tune (released in 1991) with Baby Mother\Karen Dubarry - the mother of my son - on vocals and it was a wonderful feeling. Around the same time there was the popular late night KISS FM roots show called Joey Jay’s and Shaka played (my) tune on it – and that was me, I was done, ambition sorted. It’s liberating to feel you’ve reached the ceiling of something.

Here's the full interview for those interested......
http://unitedreggae.com
July 11, 2013 08:12PM
Jah Shaka is the best thing for me everytime I'm sorry for those that don't catch his vibes
July 11, 2013 08:12PM
Jah Shaka is the best thing for me everytime I'm sorry for those that don't catch his vibes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login