Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rockamovya -- West Coast Dates

Posted by ulotrichi 
Rockamovya -- West Coast Dates
July 11, 2013 03:58AM

ROCKAMOVYA

Rockamovya brought together the incomparable Leroy "Horsemouth" Wallace (Burning Spear, The Abyssinians, the cult film classic Rockers), long time Jazz-heavyweight & Grammy nominated Will Bernard (Motherbug, Stanton Moore trio, Dr. Lonnie Smith) and Ryan Newman (bass), Marcus Urani (organ/keys/piano) and Harrison Stafford (rhythm guitar/ vocals) of the internationally acclaimed Cali-based Reggae-Fusion group Groundation for what became a genre-defying classic of an album.

Rockamovya's inaugural self titled release generated a strong buzz within the more traditional music industry, as well as the ever-growing conscious music community. The expansive and altogether new sound Rockamovya emits is due in large part to the inter-generational links the album has created. Whether its Horsemouth's 1960's era steppers rhythms, Bernard's 1970's inspired jazz-funk licks, or the wholly unique 21st century roots sound of Groundation, Rockamovya reaches across demographics and genres to entice and enthrall listeners of any and every tribe.

2013 sees the long anticipated world-wide festival debut of Rockamovya at the 29th anniversary of the legendary Reggae on the River in Northern California. They will play one other intimate show as part of this mini-tour at the best new venue in the North Bay, Sweetwater Music Hall in Mill Valley, CA. Dont sleep on your chance to see one of the most progressively satisfying collaborations that Reggae music has seen in a very long time.

AUG 2 -- Mill Valley, CA @ Sweetwater Music Hall
AUG 3 -- Piercy, CA @ Reggae on the River

(courtesy of NOMO)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2013 07:40PM by ulotrichi.
Re: Rockamovya -- West Coast Dates
July 11, 2013 04:07AM
Really want to see this set. Not making ROTR. Anyone know if they are touring more after ROTR??
July 11, 2013 04:12AM
Nicholas (Ulotrichi) should know^

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
July 11, 2013 06:16PM
No other dates planned at this point.

Europe in Summer 2014, possible US tour next year as well. So this is it for now.

But they are heading back into the studio after these two CA dates, so more new music on the way...
July 11, 2013 06:40PM
I grew up in Santa Rosa. Maybe I can crash at a buddies and make it for the Aug2nd show in Mill Valley! Exciting to hear about the new works coming! Really exciting.
July 13, 2013 02:33AM
That venue in mill valley is super sick. I have to travel to reggae on the river and will see them there, otherwise i would not miss this show!

Love that reggae!
July 13, 2013 05:33PM
Thanks Nomo!! Appreciate that!!
July 31, 2013 09:51PM
Rockamovya hits Marin County this Friday night at Sweetwater Music Hall, one of the nicest new venues on the West Coast. Special guests Blue King Brown to open!

Horsemouth preparing the drum before the studio sessions for the new Rockamovya album, being recorded now.

video: [www.youtube.com]
Brown Fish Stew
July 31, 2013 10:31PM
July 31, 2013 11:15PM
Thanks for posting the Rockamovya videos y'all! I knew nothing about these guys before, but now I am really looking forward to seeing them at ROTR!
August 01, 2013 06:33PM
For me, this is representative of the progessive wing of the Reggae world.....and I, for one, need some progress.

Daniel---will you be at RotR?

Enjoy the set Reggaebe. Dont be surprised if there are some deep cut covers in there as well...
August 02, 2013 03:19PM
As a huge Groundation fan, I'm VERY excited to see Rockamovya perform tomorrow at ROR! The tunes on that album are very good, and I know Harrison and company will bring it like always!
August 02, 2013 04:13PM
I recall seeing Horsemouth play with Will Bernard at the Boom Boom Room in SF about ~7 years back. I remember it being a very fun show with a wide ranging set list. If i didn't have other obligations, I'd be in MIll Valley tonight.
August 02, 2013 05:59PM
It's been awhile,

Looking forward to seeing you all tonight! This show is going to be good. Sorry to hear you won't be there tonight NoMo. Hope you have a good time at RoR! "Red Rose, I put it in my pocket"....
August 03, 2013 12:01PM
August 06, 2013 09:34PM
Caught the end of their set on Saturday at ROTR...I've never been a Groundation fan so I didn't really care to see this set, but I have to say, when they played about a 8 minute version of "Rockers" to end the set.....that was pretty sick
August 07, 2013 12:22AM
Thats what a lot of people say about Rockamovya, Redwood Rebel-----glad you gave it a chance.

I think the best thing anyone has said about the project would be Horse's own comment after the show.....something along the lines of "People think Im in this band just for a paycheck or some such thing. But for me this is the music I want to be remembered for. I laid the foundation of this sound, but I am most proud in helping to push it/bring it into the 21st Century."

Only bad thing was that their set was cut short due to time constraints, so they werent able to do some of the Burning Spear / Bob covers they had planned. Saw them the night before at Sweetwater and they crushed...
August 07, 2013 01:08AM
was not disappointed by the Rockamovya set. was better than expected...
unhappy to hear that they may have gone longer had we the ideal situation...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
August 07, 2013 01:23AM
great musicians without a doubt and for those that dont dig Groundation due to Harrisons vocal style Rockamovya is more instrumental, I believe Harrison only sang on a couple maybe 3 tunes

Respect Same Way
August 07, 2013 04:43PM
Yes Danny, Les Nubians set was pushed back a bit and we ended up cutting at least two songs from the set. So it goes.

Say what you want about Groundation or Harrison, but, for my money, there is no better group of musicians playing Reggae music today----and Rockamovya is just a more refined/condensed version/lineup. And you can ask anyone out there who plays the music and is familiar with the group......Ive never heard any musician say otherwise.

Anyway....cant wait for the next album.
August 07, 2013 04:45PM
@ulotrichi -- thumbs up
August 07, 2013 07:14PM
Love Groundation and Rockamovya. I agree that they are SOME of the best muscians in the biz today. I still think the Midnite band is the best muscians today. But Groundation is close. I am also very excited for the new album and I am really hoping that Rockamovya will come to Oregon soon!
August 07, 2013 09:19PM
I genuinely enjoyed the set, via the internet. I'd go see these guys anyday.
August 08, 2013 02:16AM
My biggest regret at leaving rotr early was missing these guys. I screwed the pooch on this one, didn't see em in mill valley and didn't see em at rotr. Aargh.

Love that reggae!
August 08, 2013 08:02PM
That was going to be my next question Nomo, was whether you captured this set. Too bad. Hopefully RotR releases their videos soon...
August 08, 2013 11:12PM
Pure pain missing it. Love all those guys. I was so furious at the police and the $#%&@ shuttle bus that i left.

Love that reggae!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login