Advanced

eek

Posted by Ras_Adam 
eek
July 11, 2013 07:08PM
Eek-A-Mouse gets time served on reduced charges
Catherine Kozak | July 8, 2013
[outerbanksvoice.com]

After evading extradition on rape and kidnapping charges for four years, reggae singer Eek-A-Mouse was scheduled this week to finally face the music in Dare County Superior Court.

As it turns out, the musician, whose real name is Ripton Joseph Hylton, had the felony charges reduced to two misdemeanors last week in Camden County Superior Court, and he was released for time served, said his attorney Phillip Hayes.

But he is still not a free man.

Within hours of his release, Hayes said, Hylton was taken into custody by U.S. Immigration officials.

Hayes, who practices in Kitty Hawk, said that as far as he knows, his former client is still being held by immigration, most likely in Georgia. He did not elaborate.

Hylton, then age 50, was charged in Aug. 2008 with first-degree kidnapping, second-degree rape and possession of cocaine, all felonies. He was also charged with possession of less than a half-ounce of marijuana, a misdemeanor.

He was released on $52,000 secured bond.

The offenses stemmed from a report to police from a 23-year-old woman that the singer had held her against her will at a motel and raped her after a performance at the Port O’ Call Restaurant & Gaslight Saloon in Kill Devil Hills.

“Mr. Hylton at all times maintained his innocence,” Hayes said.

Hylton pleaded no contest last week to assault on a female. He also pleaded guilty to attempted crime against nature. Both are misdemeanor offenses. Based on his prior convictions for affray – a brawl – and for assault, Hayes said, his client was given the maximum sentence of 120 days for each offense, and was released for time served.

According to the prosecutor, Hayes said, the plea was discussed and approved by the victim.

In April 2010, the internationally-known Jamaican star missed his scheduled trial in Dare County, and Superior Court Judge Jerry Tillett issued a warrant for his arrest.

Hayes said that at the time, Hylton was in Amsterdam when volcanic ash enveloped much of Europe and resulted in his flight from London being cancelled. It was just a week after the U.S. State Department had restored his Visa, which had been unexpectedly revoked.

The performer was doing recording work in Brazil at the end of 2012, when he traveled to Paraguay, Hayes said. According to Hylton, Interpol picked him up there, and handed him over to the FBI for extradition in December.

He was held in Dare County jail under $75,000 secured bail for the cocaine offense, and $1 million secured bail for the rape and kidnapping charges.

“Mouse” has lived most of the last 20 years in Southern California, Hayes said.
Re: eek
July 11, 2013 07:17PM
Terrible.....EEk was the first live reggae show that I went to in the mid 90's at Maritime Hall. I was a big fan at one time, can't say I care to support him these days. Terrible...
July 11, 2013 09:12PM
Watching him perform is nothing short of disturbing. Creepy dude.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
July 11, 2013 09:13PM
He was one of the few acts that would come to Bend every year. Always put on a great show and alwasy had a great crowd show up!
July 11, 2013 09:13PM
Sad to hear these things.
July 12, 2013 01:32AM
I don't listen to his tunes anymore when they come on the radio...safe to say he needs to do some serious work to become a better person.
July 12, 2013 03:03PM
Maybe I shouldn't ask, but what exactly is an "attempted crime against nature?"
July 12, 2013 03:15PM
not intending to make light of the original topic
but injecting some levity

Stam wrote"Maybe I shouldn't ask, but what exactly is an "attempted crime against nature?""

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2013 03:17PM by Ras_Adam.
July 12, 2013 03:31PM
i'll have to add this to another brick out of the fan boy edifice i had built up in highschool for reggae artists.
i know that singers and dj are just people and falible as the rest of us but i used to see them differently than i do now.
i have to say all these tales of rape, coke, blood diamonds, guns and physical abuse and etc has def done some damage to my overall reggae infatuation.
a
July 12, 2013 05:30PM
people don't need to lose the reggae infatuation, just the hero worship thing.

edit: meant to add that I freaking love the "crimes against nature" pic!!! too funny, adam.

m.

* [www.shocksofshebamusic.com]
* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2013 05:31PM by mosquito killer.
July 12, 2013 06:22PM
DJ Treez
Watching him perform is nothing short of disturbing. Creepy dude.

Creepy indeed
July 12, 2013 07:45PM
Adam is right...it kinda stinks when you start seeing the human side to one of these artists and the faults they may have...i think a lot of would rather just not know.
July 12, 2013 08:20PM
Kinda gross. Eek the rapist. What a shame...I was jus bumping his tune "Ganja Smuggling" the other day...such a wicked tune.
July 13, 2013 12:22AM
Kind of puzzled by the folks acting like this behavior is late-breaking news.
July 13, 2013 01:08AM
Ras_Adam
i'll have to add this to another brick out of the fan boy edifice i had built up in highschool for reggae artists.
i know that singers and dj are just people and falible as the rest of us but i used to see them differently than i do now.
i have to say all these tales of rape, coke, blood diamonds, guns and physical abuse and etc has def done some damage to my overall reggae infatuation.
a

When I saw, as a 18 year old young man, certain reggae artists be a total a**hole to the promoter because his bed wasn't to his liking, my hero worship was shattered.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/13/2013 04:32PM by J_72.
July 13, 2013 03:03PM
Did a show in 1997 in Hawaii with Eek, Don Carlos and Garth Dennis. I hung out in the Mouse's hotel room and went to the rehearsal and everything-he was cooler than cool to everyone associated with the concert- I mean, he was playing all Eek a mouse music in the hotel room, but that's just him I guess. Last time I saw him was at Reggae on the Rocks in 2007 (on the same bill as Lucky Dube and Burning Spear) and the Mouse and his band killed it. Hopefully, all of this is not true, but I think he's always gotten kind of an unfair bad rap going back alot farther than when all these incidents supposedly took place.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
July 13, 2013 04:34PM
Could some one please explain what makes Eek's performances "creepy"? I've seen three times and didn't get a creepy vibe.
July 13, 2013 08:32PM
His personal life to the side, EVERY set I've seen the guy do was a crowd pleaser---he has a warm following in East St Louis; Mouse would do at least 200 paid just from that area code....

Checking him abt 15 years ago here, I did have the impression both steroid and other more recreational substances were in the Mouse's blender, so to speak.
July 13, 2013 09:29PM
It has been years admittedly, but the cpl times I saw him, particularly a set in the late 80's at Ashkenaz, his vibe was creepy. He clearly had a few things in his "blender", he was weirding out all the underage girls and his tongue, he was sticking it out all over and it was effing LONG. Creepy I tell ya.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
July 14, 2013 12:37AM
DJ Treez
It has been years admittedly, but the cpl times I saw him, particularly a set in the late 80's at Ashkenaz, his vibe was creepy. He clearly had a few things in his "blender", he was weirding out all the underage girls and his tongue, he was sticking it out all over and it was effing LONG. Creepy I tell ya.
Sounds like his tounge made.you have feelings you were unfamiliar and uncomfortable with winking smiley
July 14, 2013 06:12PM
east bay herbalist
DJ Treez
Sounds like his tounge made.you have feelings you were unfamiliar and uncomfortable with winking smiley

You could put it that way. haha

Seriously though, it was hard to appreciate the music through his performance.

July 17, 2013 09:38AM
Reggae performer Eek-A-Mouse, born Ripton Joseph Hylton, has been released for time served in a plea agreement reached by Hylton’s attorney, Phillip Hayes, and Assistant District Attorney Lauren Arizaga.

Hylton was scheduled to appear before Judge J. Carlton Cole in Dare County Superior Court on July 8 to face felony rape, felony kidnapping, felony cocaine and misdemeanor marijuana charges.

When case number 56 came up during the court’s calendar call, Arizaga said, “That was previously disposed of by plea.”

In the plea agreement settled on July 1 in Camden County Superior Court, Hylton pled “no contest” to two misdemeanor charges – assault on a female and attempted crime against nature. He was sentenced to 75 days imprisonment for the first offense and “given credit for 75 days spent in confinement prior to the date of this Judgment as a result of this charge.” Sentenced to 45 days on the second charge, he was “given credit for 45 days spent in confinement prior to the date of this Judgment as a result of this charge.”

Hylton, 55, was arrested in Kill Devil Hills on Aug. 16, 2008 and charged with forcible sexual assault, possession of schedule II cocaine, kidnapping and possession of less than 1/2 ounce of marijuana. He had performed at Port O’Call on Aug. 15 and allegedly assaulted a 23-year-old woman at 1:30 a.m. on Aug. 16 at the Colony IV Motel in Kill Devil Hills. The Kill Devil Hills Police Department said the kidnapping charge stemmed from the victim allegedly being held against her will. The victim was a former Dare County resident who was visiting the area.

Released on $52,000 secured bond, Hylton later left the country and did not show up for a court date in 2010. Superior Court Judge Jerry Tillett issued a warrant for Hylton’s arrest with a $1 million bond for failing to appear. He was found in Paraguay last November without a proper visa, deported and later extradited from Florida to North Carolina to stand trial on the rape, kidnapping and drug charges.

Hylton had faced as much as 20 years in prison if convicted of all felony charges.
July 17, 2013 01:53PM
For those of you not familiar with the creepy side of eek, check out this vid.
it is sad, but apparently he was no stranger to his condition.

July 17, 2013 03:05PM
so it seems like in the US if you want to get off easy on a crime, just skip bail. Once they catch up to you they'll spend a bunch of money to bring you back stateside, slap you on the wrist, then spend a bunch of money to send you back home.... ridiculous
July 17, 2013 04:30PM
Ras James
so it seems like in the US if you want to get off easy on a crime, just skip bail. Once they catch up to you they'll spend a bunch of money to bring you back stateside, slap you on the wrist, then spend a bunch of money to send you back home.... ridiculous

Yeah, I was thinking how do 3 felonies get reduced to 2 misdemeanors? How is assault (and what happened to the rape charge) on a female only a misdemeanor?

I haven't seen him in years, but I thought he always put on a good show. Never saw the tongue thing - he was strutting around and spinnin the brim of his hat, etc. - but as a person I've heard enough from multiple sources to be creeped out by him, etc. Dude is whack

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login