Posted by Ras_Adam 
chronixx
July 16, 2013 08:43PM
Re: chronixx
July 16, 2013 10:35PM
Good interview, reggae nah dead!
July 17, 2013 07:01PM
Two weeks til he throws down at ROTR!!!! Yea buddy!
July 17, 2013 07:16PM
"Me nah sing no song bout di party buck..."

Respect Same Way
July 18, 2013 05:56AM
Has anyone seen him live? I hope there is not to much hype for this dude, and then a huge let down. I hope he kills it.
July 18, 2013 06:31AM
This will be his U.S. debut but I guess he absolutely murdered it this year at Rebel Salute in JA.
July 18, 2013 05:45PM
He'll kill it...something similar to Protoje at Sierra me thinks
July 18, 2013 06:11PM
His US debut?? I thought he was recently in NYC a few months back ? West coast debut for sure
July 18, 2013 08:01PM
I stand corrected, he did perform in NYC, but this being his West Coast/US Festival debut I'm sure he's going bring the heat and Start A Fyah BIG TIME! It will be one of the highlights of the weekend for sure.
July 18, 2013 10:16PM
I've nothing but great things about his European tour.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
July 18, 2013 10:21PM
I've heard it's nothing for him to go inna Rome and start a fyah.....
July 18, 2013 10:30PM
I've seen him perform twice, once in an acoustic set at the plaza down the road, and again at a show in mobay. The acoustic set did nothing at all for me. With his band, he certanily has some room for improvement - but one thing I will say to his credit is he's got a very solid backing band
July 18, 2013 10:40PM
Damned by faint praise, as I would say.
July 19, 2013 02:44AM
Are you always the contrarian Ras James? Or do you just want to be the turd in this particular punch bowl? Chronixx is the future, true reggae roots revival, maybe you are just living in the past...
July 19, 2013 03:04AM
Have you seen him Renegade Sound?

Love that reggae!
July 19, 2013 03:26AM
Renegade Sound
Are you always the contrarian Ras James? Or do you just want to be the turd in this particular punch bowl? Chronixx is the future, true reggae roots revival, maybe you are just living in the past...

I think anyone who knows me would say that by my standards, I was pretty positive about Chronixx' live band performance in Mobay. I'm very particular about how music is presented, if I really disliked him I would be very clear about it. As for being a "true reggae roots revival" give him some time... It's not wise to hype up an artist so much before they even have an album worth of material to see if they can hold such a claim. He's got some nice songs and some potential, all I've said is he could use some work - coming from my experience having seen him live. Feel free to see his show yourself and come to your own conclusion, what I think is really inconsequential when all is said and done. But I'm pretty sure a discussion forum is here so we can all discuss, not just agree on everything all the time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2013 03:31AM by Ras James.
July 19, 2013 03:35AM
He hasn't released a full length album yet but he does have a solid album's worth of material. No I have not seen him live NoMo but I've watched video of his live performances, collected his catalog, listened to his interviews, and IMO he (along with others) is the future of modern roots reggae, I could very well be wrong and if he blows it this year at ROTR I will be the first to admit it, I just don't see that happening.
July 19, 2013 04:33AM
Looking forward to seeing Chronixx.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2013 04:43AM by steeleman.
July 19, 2013 04:37AM
RasJames
But I'm pretty sure a discussion forum is here so we can all discuss, not just agree on everything all the time.

BOOM, Well said FUH REAL, Discussion board, not a fan club. I agree with James, there is room for improvement!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2013 04:45AM by steeleman.
July 19, 2013 05:40AM
Room for improvement he says, well he's only 20 so I think he'll have plenty of time to maybe, some day, reach your standards.
July 19, 2013 11:59AM
I'm excited to see him. I listen to the hype on these young Jamaican artists, and have seen a couple now and my opinion, like of Romain Virgo and Protoje, they are teeming with talent, have some good songs, but I wouldn't say they were classic until they've got more years under their belt. Not to say they aren't worth seeing, but for me they don't bring the fire that a classic old school act like Don Carlos does.

Like an eighteen year old blues guitarist, they might have the licks, but do they really have the blues?

Love that reggae!
July 19, 2013 03:59PM
Renegade Sound
Room for improvement he says, well he's only 20 so I think he'll have plenty of time to maybe, some day, reach your standards.

Or maybe not. My bar is pretty high and most of these new-wave 'roots and culture' artistes have some work to do to break into my rotation.
July 19, 2013 04:08PM
My fingers are still crossed he shows up for ROTR... If he does, I will be happy to report back with my opinion on his performance. Big up all the new artists trying to take things in a more positive direction.
July 19, 2013 04:12PM
Regardless of whether you like Chronixx, Protoje, Romain or any of the other young conscious artists coming up anyone who is a fan of true reggae has to be excited about the music they're making and for the following these guys are creating amongst younger listeners. Not too long ago all they hype was surronding dancehall artists like Vybz, Mavado, Popcaan etc....

Now the hype is surronding Chronixx and these conscious artists and these young cats are spreading a postive message, have some serious bands backing them and some wicked lyrics on top of it all, which to me is better for the music. Maybe the first tour he does when he's 19/20 doesn't blow you away, but I bet when The Don, Michael Rose, Johnny Clarke or any other roots artists that everybody hails up was 20 years old they had some improvements that were needed in their live shows.

Maybe you're not feeling him now, but give him time. Dude is 20....and I'd say he's off to a pretty damn good start

I'll be sure to let everyone who misses it know how sick of a set he plays 2 weeks from today

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2013 04:16PM by Redwood Rebel.
July 19, 2013 04:39PM
Just as long as they leave the auto-tune alone, I'll be listening. winking smiley
July 19, 2013 04:40PM
Agreed, Rebel...these young conscious guys at least interest me, unlike the dancehall guys. If he is as good as Protoje, it'll be great....

Love that reggae!
July 19, 2013 04:56PM
Haha I'm with you there Walter

And definitely nomo, if he plays as good a set as Protoje there will be about 6,000 jammin tuff pon di River! I'm stoked
July 19, 2013 04:57PM
Time will tell...
July 19, 2013 05:02PM
I've heard this about his live shows.. But he IS still young.. Experience will bring the improvements needed.. I have high hopes for him, mostly because I like the direction the music is headed and would like to see it continue like that.. God and time know, but only one will tell... Recently everyone I talked to in JA loved chronixx but they pretty much said the same thing.. "He's too knew, got to wait and see if his music has the longevity ". Jamaica does love chronixx tho.. Protoje they call a rich boy tho lol
July 19, 2013 09:58PM
Love chronixx and love protoje and am excited to some day see chronixx. And to how far these two, romaine, kabaka etc go with reggae music. The future looks bright indeed. However I was wondering on the drive home how the zinc fence and indiggnation compare live. I was blown away seeing them back up protoje last month.
Has anyone seen both bands?
July 20, 2013 01:29AM
Jahsiah
Love chronixx and love protoje and am excited to some day see chronixx. And to how far these two, romaine, kabaka etc go with reggae music. The future looks bright indeed. However I was wondering on the drive home how the zinc fence and indiggnation compare live. I was blown away seeing them back up protoje last month.
Has anyone seen both bands?

Having seen both bands, I think they are on about equal footing. Both contain some talented young musicians (if I'm correct both bands are at least partially made up of edna manley graduates)
July 20, 2013 03:38AM
I think one main reason why bands like Indiggnation with Protoje & Zincfence with Chronixx are so strong is that they are not backing bands. Protoje & The Indiggnation is the band same with Chronixx & The Zincfence. They work together everyday as 1 and it shows loud & clear.
July 20, 2013 01:16PM
Thats right blessedcoast. Gotta make a huge difference.

Love that reggae!
July 20, 2013 06:51PM
Anyone go to Bob Marley Day 1998 at the Oakland Kaiser auditorium? That was Sizzla's California debut, and he was completely unremarkable to those who didn't already know his music. Fast-foward to around 2006 at the DNA Lounge (I believe) and he completely mesmerized the audience for 90 minutes. Point being, musicians take time to perfect their craft like any other career, especially performing live.
July 21, 2013 04:04AM
Just saw CHRONIXX and PROTOJE at Summerjam in Cologne Germany. They were both awesome. Chronixx was definitely well received but I have to say Protoje and Indiggnation were beyond description. There were two stages and at times both were ram jam. This is not my photograph but was taken during Protoje performance.

I was in the photo pit with Ellen from Riddim magazine and we were both so overwhelmed by the professional performance of Protoje and Indiggnation, we sobbed with delight. Really, we were overwhelmed with emotion. PROTOJE and INDIGGNATION KILLED it. I realize some people may think I am bias but I am not. This same response was everywhere and the crowd went crazy.

I LOVED SUMMERJAM. The area becomes a reggae city. I plan to post some photos and comments soon.
July 23, 2013 01:33AM
blessedcoast
I think one main reason why bands like Indiggnation with Protoje & Zincfence with Chronixx are so strong is that they are not backing bands. Protoje & The Indiggnation is the band same with Chronixx & The Zincfence. They work together everyday as 1 and it shows loud & clear.

You nailed it Ryan, I'd rather see a soundsystem show than a show with an improperly rehearsed band. And even a properly rehearsed band is no comparison to a band that plays and rehearses regularly. That is one of the things that sets these guys live performances apart. They are a band, not just an artist.

BTW great pic^^^^^^

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login