Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

iTunes assisted live band a 'trending ting'?

Posted by Ras Danny 
iTunes assisted live band a 'trending ting'?
July 27, 2013 09:58AM
dunno if dis is all the new trend or what but after a next bredrin pointed out to that the backing band, the JA artist, a girl wit a laptop & an iTunes playlist, the sound man and the live 4 piece band were working as a unit, I was stunned!
some tunes would be full on just plain live band... but the majority were assisted by the iTunes playlist for at least about 75% a da tune.. da JA artist would give signal towards enda tune to drop the iTunes track so the band could finish out da tune...
this had it's problems... the band at times would lose their synchronization wit iTunes and either speed up or even slow down leaving some embarrassing lapses... all of which was only really 'visible' to a few...

anyOne else seen this kinda activity before? was rather bizarre to say the least...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
Re: iTunes assisted live band a 'trending ting'?
July 27, 2013 12:43PM
huh?
July 27, 2013 01:07PM
I haven't heard of this, but wouldn't be surprised to see someone try this. I'd think that not just the rhythm, but the timbre of the sounds would be very different transitioning from computer music file to live instruments.
We opened for Steel Pulse one time where they began their first song with a recorded prelude (from a preprogrammed keyboard workstation or a computer, I don't know)...but just having SP stand there looking blankly at the audience while all this music was playing around them, was the stupidest I've ever seen them look. They started playing after a few seconds, then all was well, but it seemed like a pretty lame beginning to a set.
July 27, 2013 01:18PM
after it was pointed out to mi, I did notice that remarkable difference when the iTunes dropped out, immediately!

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
July 27, 2013 08:10PM
I don't know about iTunes, but most major acts in non-reggae circles "play to tape". usually a condensed version of the pro tools session is running controlled by the keyboardist. This allows for a "large" sound with a small band. i.e. your 4 piece band can be having multiple keyboard parts going at once, parts that are near impossible for an individual to play in a live setting, harmonies when there's only one vocalist on stage, etc... I've seen some pull it off well, and some pull it off not-so-well. I've only seen one reggae act do it and they managed to pull it off pretty well. This would be a little different than playing along to iTunes still, since I would assume that would just be the band playing along with the mixed track
August 01, 2013 07:22AM
Kinda sounds like a Mexican banda where they use a pre-programed track or commericial for the band, for the intro and before breaks and after, sometimes they infuse live w/tracks -Impacto Jovan does this and now many reggaeton, mariachi and other styles use this too. But that is the only music I have heard anything like this,,,,Ras Danny were they good?? & name of band as I want to see this smiling smiley
August 01, 2013 08:43AM
It was very uncomfortable to watch but as tense as it was I had a great time. It was like a sound system show plus a band, all mashed together. The singer was fantastic. Pretty sure he would sound good with an armpit fart backing.

The band was not good. This was poorly prepared and haphazardly executed. They all were glued to their bandstand sheet music and the guitar played had his back to the audience more than half of the show. It felt a lot like a rehearsal with the band playing along with the studio version. It was a one off show. I had never seen the singer before. He worked with the band as much as possible but had the fallback audio of the studio recording. I've never seen anything like it.

At one point he thanked the band and confessed they had not been able to rehearse much "but doesn't the band sound great?" Then nodes to the sound person to start the next track. It was awfully awesome.
August 01, 2013 08:45AM
I still think I got a better show than the folks that went to NWWRF instead. Zing!
August 01, 2013 01:40PM
This is different but reminded me of a couple times when I was opening for live acts and because of timing issues the band never got to sound check. So I spun part of my set with a live backing band. Pretty cool.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
August 01, 2013 04:11PM
Stamina wrote 'We opened for Steel Pulse one time where they began their first song with a recorded prelude (from a preprogrammed keyboard workstation or a computer, I don't know)...'

Saw that exact scenario occur at Red Rocks in 2007 with Pulse. I recorded the show but have since misplaced it somehow. I've been wondering what that lame 'recorded prelude' was for a long time. Actually, the whole show was sort of tricked up that way and came off very gimmicky, quite a contrast from 2011, at Sierra Nevada, where Steel Pulse was better than I've heard them in a while.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
August 01, 2013 05:54PM
Steel Pulse can be a bit gimicky, I remember when I saw them at Greek Theatre in late 80's early 90's (???). I was seriously disappointed because they were still kinda rockin the disco thing and it really pissed me off when the percussionist would leave his congas in order to bust the choreography steps. I left early. I do love me some Steel Pulse tho, I have seen redeeming performances since and can sing every word to the Earth Crisis album.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2013 06:00PM by DJ Treez.
August 02, 2013 09:29AM
Earth Crisis, Peter Tosh's Equal Rights, Burning Spear's Marcus Garvey , and Bob's Marley's Uprising, were my real intro to reggae music. I visited Hawaii in 1985 and ran into a girl from Santa Clara. I had all these new wave dance tapes with me-and she dug those, but when I asked her what she listened to, she calmly cooed through her perfect lips "mostly old Steel Pulse" - as opposed to new Steel Pulse which would have been Earth Crisis. Lyrically, Earth Crisis was incredibly prophetic-way ahead of its time. It is the perfect combination 'upbeat rhythms' and foreboding messages. Ironically, Earth Crisis was seen as 'too modern' or a departure from the roots when Pulse's true 'pop' reggae days were yet to come. Wild Goose Chase is a personal fave.

I thought the destruction
Of creation
Would be nuclear power
And radiation
I thought judgement
Would come
When dem drop
De neutron bomb

And man was heading
For extinction with
With contraceptive pills
That was made to kill
Legal murder
They call abortion

I thought the invention
Of robots yes yeh
All forms of life
Would eventually stop
But now dem dog gone crazy
Mass producing test tube babies

Onl a wild goose chase
Laws of nature they just can't face
Ambition is to mash up the place
Who shall save the human race?

Chemicals in the food
To control population
intentions to build
A plastic nation

Cloning cats to have dogs
Human beings breeding hogs
On the moon in search of aliens
But now dem dog gone crazy
Mass producing test tube babies

On a wild goose chase
Who shall save the human race?

These times of science and technology
This world is an unconscious lavatory
Using my people as guinea pigs
I man a fight it spiritually

Soon the old will inject
Themselves to keep young
Ain't no telling what they do next
All I know that JAH must vex
0 righteous one keep in check
Thunder will roll and break wicked neck

On a wild goose chase
Tell me who shall save de HUMAN RACE?

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
August 02, 2013 10:16AM
Earth Crisis is what cut my teeth too.
August 02, 2013 01:34PM
yup same here spent some time studying that album cover also....
August 02, 2013 01:58PM
True Democracy was my intro into reggae at sixteen. Earth Crisis soon followed and stayed in my player for much of my senior year in high school.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login