Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District has issued an air quality alert for Humboldt County

Posted by reggae.truth 
The North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District has issued an air quality alert for Humboldt County
July 29, 2013 08:12PM
Wildfire Smoke Public Service Announcement

It’s official. The North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District has issued an air quality alert about the smoke in our area. ALL OF SOUTHERN HUMBOLDT (INCLUDING THE SITE FOR REGGAE ON THE RIVER) IS ENGULFED IN HEAVY SMOKE.

Smoke from these fires is drifting into Northern California.

The main fires generating the smoke Northern California is experiencing are the Labrador and the Douglas Complex wildfires. Depending on your proximity to the fires and the weather conditions, people in Northern California will be affected.

Wildfire Smoke Public Service Announcement:

Areas of wildfire smoke are predicted to impact the following regions:

Del Norte County
Humboldt County
Trinity County

If you live (or plan travel) in the regions listed above, please watch for Air Quality Alerts issued for specific locations. Alerts are issued when unhealthy or hazardous conditions exist.

Air Quality Alerts can be heard by calling the North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District’s 24 hour Air Quality Advisory Information hotline at 1-866-BURN-DAY (1-866-287-6329).

They can also be accessed at the District’s website at www.ncuaqmd.org.

For air quality announcements, stayed tuned to your local radio, newspaper, and television.

Concentrations of smoke may vary depending upon location, weather, and distance to the fire. Smoke from wildfires and structure fires contain harmful chemicals that can affect your health. Smoke can cause eye and throat irritation, coughing, and difficulty breathing. People who are at greatest risk of experiencing symptoms due to smoke include:

Those with respiratory disease (such as asthma), those with heart disease, young children, and older adults.

Children, the elderly, and those with respiratory disease or heart disease should stay indoors and avoid prolonged activity.

All others should limit prolonged or heavy activity and time spent outdoors.

If you can see, taste, or feel smoke, contact your local health department and/or primary healthcare provider. This is especially important if you have health concerns, are elderly, are pregnant, or have a child in your care.

Follow these general precautions to protect your health during a smoke event:

Minimize or stop outdoor activities, especially exercise

Stay indoors with windows and doors closed as much as possible

Do not run fans that bring smoky outdoor air inside – examples include swamp coolers, whole- house fans, and fresh air ventilation systems

Run your air-conditioner only if it does not bring smoke in from the outdoors. Change the standard air conditioner filter to a medium or high efficiency filter. If available, use the “re-circulate” or “recycle” setting on the unit

Do not smoke, fry food, or do other things that will create indoor air pollution.

If you have lung disease (including asthma) or heart disease, closely monitor your health and contact your doctor immediately if you have symptoms that worsen. Consider leaving the area until smoke conditions improve if you have:

repeated coughing
shortness of breath
difficulty breathing
wheezing
chest tightness or pain
palpitations
nausea
unusual fatigue
light headedness

NORTH COAST UNIFIED AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT DISTRICT
2300 Myrtle Avenue, Eureka, CA 95501
Telephone (707) 443-3093

http://www.ncuaqmd.org
Re: The North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District has issued an air quality alert for Humboldt County
July 29, 2013 08:34PM
Reggae Truth, here is the latest report, so you won't keep trying to scare people..............

According to the US National Weather Service out of Eureka, the smoke that is continuing to pour from fires in Oregon will blanket northwestern California this morning. (See graphic above for a visual on this. Bright white areas are coastal fogs while the darker grey areas are smoke.) The agency predicts that changes in the wind direction should shift the smoke eastward tomorrow.(tuesday)

Rick Martin, an air pollution control officer with Humboldt Air Quality 4433093 North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District explains that his agency is monitoring the situation. As of right now, he says, the impact of the smoke is “not at any levels people need to be concerned about. It isn’t at any level that will be harmful to people, not even people with respiratory illnesses.”

The smoke has lifted since it first appeared on Sat. The report says it should be gone tomorrow..........
Re: The North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District has issued an air quality alert for Humboldt County
July 29, 2013 08:45PM
ROTR spin control Mamacali - i'm sure he's not trying to scare people....it appears he is just keeping those attending apprised of any
conditions they should be aware of....

btw - what do you think of the out of control scum in the Eel River? any denials or positive spin you have for this?
July 29, 2013 08:54PM
mamacali
Reggae Truth, here is the latest report, so you won't keep trying to scare people..............

According to the US National Weather Service out of Eureka, the smoke that is continuing to pour from fires in Oregon will blanket northwestern California this morning. (See graphic above for a visual on this. Bright white areas are coastal fogs while the darker grey areas are smoke.) The agency predicts that changes in the wind direction should shift the smoke eastward tomorrow.(tuesday)

Rick Martin, an air pollution control officer with Humboldt Air Quality 4433093 North Coast Unified Air Quality Management District explains that his agency is monitoring the situation. As of right now, he says, the impact of the smoke is “not at any levels people need to be concerned about. It isn’t at any level that will be harmful to people, not even people with respiratory illnesses.”

The smoke has lifted since it first appeared on Sat. The report says it should be gone tomorrow..........

No ones trying to "scare" anyone. I live in Southern Humboldt. Obviously you don't. The smoke is thick. The smell is thick. People are having health issues because of it. Just trying to let the peeps know to take appropriate precautions. They said the smoke would be gone yesterday. They were wrong. It's far worse today than yesterday. Hopefully they'll get it right for "your" weekend prediction.
July 29, 2013 08:56PM
Welcome to America and the cesspool that we live in, shame squared.
July 29, 2013 09:32PM
Hazy all the way down here in Willits.
July 30, 2013 02:58AM
Its not that bad tho
July 30, 2013 03:25AM
I do live in SoHum. In fact I live on a mountain above Garberville. I have a view of all the mountains, including King's Peak and Bear Butte. etc. The winds have come and the smoke is almost gone. I saw the sunset over King's Peak tonight and I haven't the last few days. It's pretty clear right now and I hope it stays this way and the smoke does not return.
July 30, 2013 04:04AM
Yes Agnes Patak the smoke has cleared out. Hopefully it will stay clear. Now I understand why you were a little...
July 30, 2013 03:51PM
One fire is getting extremely close to our house.. Not gonna evacuate until I know that our house can't be saved!! Smells like the fire is in our back yard and the smoke burns your eyes!! Wish us luck
July 30, 2013 05:05PM
Still hazy here in Willits but not stifling. If you're coming up today and have issues, be aware.

Good luck iriebarto!
July 30, 2013 05:17PM
Sending vibes your way Iriebarto. A wildifre broke out in the last day or two just east of Orleans in Northern Humblodt/Trinity counties...a little smokey here on the coast. Hopefully they get these things tamed
July 30, 2013 06:05PM
Thanks guys and sending my wishes that things change for the festival.. That would make for an unpleasant weekend..
July 30, 2013 06:20PM
Where are you located Iriebarto?

@redwood rebel - Do you have any more info on that Orleans fire? I am supposed to go backpacking in the Trinity Alps right ofter ROTR, but may have to alter my plans if air conditions are bad. Bless.
July 30, 2013 09:04PM
Hey Reggaebe, here is the latest I copy and pasted from Cal-Fire's blog page:

"Dance Fire Location and Perimeter Map
Evacuations of some local residents in and near the town of Orleans, CA. Residents were evacuated to Junction Elementary School in Somes Bar and the Karuk Tribe Department of Natural Resources (DNR) building in Orleans. The evacuations are complete.

Update 07/30/2013 0615: 350 acres, 10% contained.The Dance Fire in Humboldt County near Orleans has destroyed two homes and some outbuildings, as well as 350 acres, since it broke out around 5 p.m. Monday, forest officials said.
Portions of the community of Orleans is evacuated. Power if off in Orleans, structure protection in progress.
Update 07/29/2013 2200: CA-SRF Dance Fire: Fire is approximately 200 acres. NORCAL Team 2 is being activated.
Update 07/29/2013 2010: CA-SRF Dance Fire, near the community of Orleans. Fire is 100 acres in size, burning in timber, 0% contained. Structures are threatened.

Overview: The Dance Fire, which started along Highway 96 near Camp Creek Road, has caused the evacuation of some local residents in and near the town of Orleans, CA. Residents were evacuated to Junction Elementary School in Somes Bar and the Karuk Tribe Department of Natural Resources (DNR) building in Orleans. The evacuations are complete.

The fire started at 5:15 p.m. on Monday and as of 3:00 a.m. today, has burned 350 acres with an estimated 10% containment.

Hundreds of structures are threatened, power lines and phone lines are down, and Highway 96 near Orleans has been closed. Resources from the following agencies are on scene: Six Rivers and Klamath National Forest, Cal Fire, Hoopa Fire Department, Orleans Volunteer Fire Department, California Highway Patrol, County Sheriff’s Office, Forest Service law enforcement officers, and California Department of Transportation"

My brother works out that way and said the air is extremely smokey today and they have Hwy 96 closed east of Orleans. If you end up going on your trip I'd head to Weaverville on Hwy 299 then go NE on Hwy 3 from there towards Etna. you might be able to escape some of the smoke....not sure how far east it goes
July 31, 2013 03:05AM
Iam in southern Oregon.. Outside grants pass.. We are now supposed to pack and wait for them to tell us to evacuate
July 31, 2013 03:27AM
Thanks for the update R-Rebel. I will be monitoring that Cal-Fire website closely.

Iriebarto, sorry to hear about that. Hope you and yours stay safe. I remember driving through that area on my way back from Seattle in 2003(?) during the Bisquit fire. I was planning to camp late night along the Smith River on my way to the coast, but there was a roadblock just after the tunnel near the border and they were turning cars away. I parked in the rest stop for an hour, and when I came back the CHP was gone, so I proceeded to drive through. Pretty trippy night because along the north side of the highway it was all glowing embers up the hill. Never seen anything like it before. The campsite I was going to was smoked out but I found one at Jedediah Redwoods. Anyway, it was a lasting memory for me! Bless.
July 31, 2013 03:56AM
Bless! We will stay safe for sure.. Everyone else close by do the same
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login