Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OT: American Rastas, Africa and the Civil Rights Movement

Posted by J_72 
OT: American Rastas, Africa and the Civil Rights Movement
July 31, 2013 03:13PM
When I was younger, and heavily into Rastafari, I attended Pan-African conferences, took African studies courses, and studied a lot about Africa, particularly Ethiopia and Ethiopian history. The more I began to study US history, the more I got into the Civill Rights Movement and the struggle for civil rights. I truly consider the Civil Rights Movement a Rasta-hearted movement, and I do not understand why more American Rastas, particularly white Rastas, do not celebrate these brave warriors in their own country's history instead of always looking to Africa and Ethiopia. I say white Rastas because I think most African American Rastas already have some kind of foundation knowledge of these great warriors, white and black, who took part in the struggle for equal rights in this country. Instead of focusing so much on weed, reggae, Jamaica, and Africa, maybe they should be educating their fellow Americans on the freedom warriors in their own history? This is not a diss to those I know whose focus is on Selassie and Ethiopia, just talking in more general terms.

Any thoughts?
Re: OT: American Rastas, Africa and the Civil Rights Movement
July 31, 2013 03:46PM
is there such a thing as a white Rasta?
or are you referring to ex-hippies who now have dreads instead of beatle hair?
July 31, 2013 04:03PM
Yes, I would say there are. I would be willing to bet most "white" Rastas are not ex-hippies.
July 31, 2013 06:18PM
Trustafarians (trust fun babbies) are usually "white Rastas" not old hippies. If you are from Jamaica or etheopia, and you are white, you def. could be a white rasta.
July 31, 2013 06:25PM
That's pretty broad brush, calling American white Rastas "trustafarians" or "ex-hippies". I know quite few white Rastas who do not fit either category. My main point being the focus- Ethiopia, reggae, etc. and very rare mention or acknowledgement of history here in America. You here it all the time in the music and teachings about "knowing your history" but most of the time the focus is on some one else's history.

Peace
July 31, 2013 06:28PM
why expect white people to recognize 'civil rights' heros, when a majority of US Blacks dont even know of Marcus Garvey.

a female i deal with said to me one day, 'what up dog?'

i said, 'dont call me no dog, as thats not what marcus garvey died for.'

she said 'who is that' as she gazed hypnotically at some BS reality tv show.. i think it was 'love and hip hop atl'

i asked 'why do you watch that junk'

she said 'its only entertainment'

to me it looked more like a form of mental detainment..

needless to say, my dealings with this person are less and less.. i digress.
July 31, 2013 06:52PM
I grew up on the east coast around DC and some of my heroes from childhood were Harriet Tubman, Frederick Douglas, Martin Luther King, Jr., and Malcolm X, to name just a few. My Pops was involved in the civil rights movement of the 60s, and attended many a civil rights walks. I cited the livity of Rastafari some 10 years ago and it seemed to go naturally with all my feelings toward, and identity with the struggle of African-Americans for civil rights in this country. I am neither a trustafarian, nor a hippie. And I am of Irish (white) and Colombian background.

US history courses that are taught in public schools should include a complete history of the struggle for liberation of African-Americans in this country - not just 1 month out of the year.
July 31, 2013 07:49PM
American reggae musicians and Rastas should big up the martyrs:

[www.splcenter.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2013 07:50PM by J_72.
July 31, 2013 08:29PM
Nice one Big Vein!

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
August 01, 2013 02:20AM
just recently lost my Pops and his stories of Oakland, Berkeley, SF in the 60's still amaze me...the heroin and benzadrine (couldnt score a lid of grass to save his life) rolling in unchecked into the community had one purpose, destroy the voices (Panthers, Nation, hippies/yippies/beatnicks, MUSICIANS) who were inspiring the working class, poor, people of color to educate their minds, know their rights and when all else fails take up arms to guarantee their personal safety against tyranny. He still had a deep belly laugh talking about Bobby Seale and the Panthers going INTO the Sacramento Capital with Shotguns per the law of the land at time.

50 years gone by and now seems the idea of revolution is a reality tv show. until they've taken too much from too many the show must go on!...pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Check this link for the newspaper write up in 1967: The Tea Party's heads would explode if this happened now because they'd have to support a Black Militant Organization for Individual Gun Rights!

[news.google.com]
August 01, 2013 02:00PM
papaken
Nice one Big Vein!

yes.. in the end, it all comes down to maintaining one's household and maintaining ones direct responsibilities.
tcb, as elvis would say.. i know, i know.. "burn out elvis"..

outside of the elvis hate, the case still stands... these are fundementals found in all successful cultures..

where it all went wrong i dont know.. why it continues to go wrong, thats another mystery..

is it:

1. the hametic curse ?
2. the white man or so-called jew ?
3. some genetic flaw ?

as marcus garvey said '.. rise ye mighty race' .. just wish others would understand and heed that call..

big up the reasoning..
August 01, 2013 04:37PM
b.marley & sizzla both faced similar riddles - how to attain more black appetite, from both countrymen and foreign, for their more conscious themes
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login