Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Looks like Sizzla's favorite dictator has rigged another election!

Posted by Idris 
Looks like Sizzla's favorite dictator has rigged another election!
August 02, 2013 11:44AM
Robert Mugabe is claiming victory in another presidential election that again looks full of voter fraud/rigging! At least the weapon of violence was not unleashed as much this time on the opposition & the voting public! I do like/appreciate a lot of the great music Sizzla has given to the world I just question his apparent support for a dictator who has been in power for 33 yrs, has been involved in violence, election rigging, & corruption, etc! Sizzla has performed for the president at lavish feasts, spent time in Zimbabwe at Mugabe's invitation, & seems to be supportive overall! I think this is disappointing for a "conscious" artist of Sizzla's caliber with his potential for upliftment in the world!
Re: Looks like Sizzla's favorite dictator has rigged another election!
August 02, 2013 11:06PM
Stop making musicians into role models and you won't be disappointed.
August 03, 2013 01:08AM
Once you obtain the power you don't have to be as violent the next time around
August 03, 2013 03:26AM
i didnt read this yet but saw the headline this morning and am reposting it for your perusal

'Why a Robert Mugabe victory would be good for Zimbabwe'

Comment: President has proved critics at home and abroad wrong with bold policies now yielding economic freedom
Beta

Roy Agyemang in Harare
theguardian.com, Friday 2 August 2013 07.48 EDT
Jump to comments (148)

Robert Mugabe
Robert Mugabe shows his finger after casting his vote during presidential elections in Harare, Zimbabwe, on Wednesday. Photograph: Meng Chenguang/Rex Features

Robert Mugabe belongs to a dying breed of politicians on the African continent. Molded in the crucible of politics of nationalism, he emerges as the surviving face of African nationalism radicalised through armed resistance to settler colonialism. It is this dimension of his generational politics, this trait of his character, which Britain and the western world has not been able to comprehend.

Mugabe is more than just a politician, he leads a cause, or as his militant supporters would say, he has become the cause itself. And the cause has something to do with giving back the African his dignity well beyond symbols of nominal independence. A few days ago he told his supporters political independence was inadequate if it did not yield economic freedom. While it is fashionable to charge Mugabe with destroying Zimbabwe in its prime, little regard is given to the fact that the average African country has been granted nominal political independence amid economic subservience. And as the convulsions in northern Africa and even Brazil show, the flag does not always fly away.

What continues to confound Mugabe's western opponents – and there are many in the west who want to see the back of him – is that his brand of post-colonial politics is steeped in the economic self-empowerment of the Zimbabweans, which resonates with the continent. More than many other African leaders, Mugabe draws cheers across the continent.

In western lore he has been a terrorist, a Marxist ideologue, now a bloodthirsty tyrant, stereotypes that he alone on the continent has been able to mock and laugh off. "If standing for my people's aspirations makes me a Hitler," he once said, "let me be a Hitler a thousand times."

With seven earned degrees spanning disciplines, he is not your archetypal tin pot dictator. "The trouble with Mugabe," the former British foreign secretary Douglas Hurd once said, is that "he thinks like us". And knows us, one could have added.

From Margaret Thatcher's grudging acknowledgement to Tony Blair's open hostility, the British establishment has had to contend with an assertive Mugabe, ironically himself an epitome of British success. Educated by the Jesuits in the British settler colony of Rhodesia, he is what the late Nigerian writer Chinua Achebe would have called an educated "British-protected person". And like Caliban in The Tempest, his profit from this British education is that he knows the British language well enough and uses it to curse them. "It is those demons at No 10 Downing Street that need exorcising," Mugabe once castigated Blair, yet still escaping the fate that visited Patrice Lumumba, the elected leader of the DRC assassinated in a US-sponsored plot, for a milder chastisement of the Belgian king in 1960.

The land issue, a question which only history is still to settle. Despoiled of its land through a series of racial colonial measures, Zimbabwe at independence inherited a gross skew in land ownership. A small, reclusive white settler population of 4,000 owned nearly half of arable Zimbabwe – the best half at that – with the other half, packing over 10 million black Zimbabweans. History had fated Zimbabwe to a racial conflict, preordained a racially polarising fight for Mugabe. And to make matters worse, land was the casus belli of the 15-year bush war which Mugabe led, and had dominated decolonisation talks at Lancaster House on the last quarter of 1979. That gave this issue a surfeit of emotion, in equal measure across the racial divide.

Mugabe decided to tackle this matter conclusively, and defiantly after the Blair government reneged on promises to fund land redistribution made under the Lancaster House agreement.

What followed was more than a decade of a damaging standoff with the former colonial master, Britain. More damaging to Zimbabwe, the underdog. And here history gets split in its verdict: was Mugabe reckless and selfish, or did he lead his people through yet another revolution? The western world thinks he did it to spite competent white farmers who owned the land by a colonial right that persisted into independence; that he led a wholesale expropriation of "white-owned" land to win votes against the Movement for Democratic Change, MDC, a new, labour-led party which posed a real threat to his rule. And the consequences have been there for all to see: an economic meltdown; a descent from breadbasket to a basket case; a rollback in civil liberties. The list of charges against him is endless.

I have seen Mugabe fight for his political life before, in the controversial and contested 2008 elections. Then his back was against the wall.

The economy had spun out of control, threatening to sweep him under politically. Sanctions which the western world had unleashed on Zimbabwe, ostensibly for imperiling human rights, many say as punishment for taking back the land, were biting his people as never before. The adversities were overwhelming. Yet he hung on, just. It is this ability to ride the storm, which attracted me to make the film Mugabe: Villain or Hero?, where I spent three years in Zimbabwe gaining rare access to the Zimbabwean leader.

Today Mugabe is back in the election trenches in a radically different political environment. Blair, Gordon Brown and George W Bush, his foremost opponents are gone.

More dramatically, the MDC, Mugabe's supposed bete noire, is on course to a crushing defeat in the latest election. Morgan Tsvangirai's claims of vote rigging will fall on deaf ears, even if David Cameron and Barack Obama stick their noses in. The official observers passed the election off as free, fair and credible. The Zimbabwean people will inevitably accept the winner.

Will Cameron and Obama have the appetite for a further fight with Mugabe, when they know that Tsvangirai is a flawed candidate?

Mugabe and his Zanu-PF are on a surge, seemingly unstoppable towards a second coming. And tellingly, the election is being fought on the theme of "indigenisation and economic empowerment" by which Mugabe, following up on his land reforms, now seeks a 51% stake in the economy for his people. That this is another racially polarising policy is without doubt. But the amazing thing is that it is a policy which seems to give Mugabe and his Zanu-PF party a marked edge over the MDC with its neo-liberal agenda of foreign-investment-led job-creation.

Even more surprising is that the youth – history's motive force in north Africa and around the world – are finding favour with Mugabe's fiery rhetoric, already founded in the land reform programme whose benefits are beginning to show. Mugabe, the man reviled in the west, may very well have infected a successor generation in ways African politics and politicians – present and future – may find hard to ignore, let alone cure. At 89, the infirmities of time may very well make this election his last stand against the west. The issue may boil down to what after him. But for now, all indications point to his bagging the latest poll.

Roy Agyemang is the director/producer of award-winning documentary Mugabe: Villain or Hero?
August 03, 2013 10:40AM
Ras Adam: what is your opinion regarding Mugabe's open-ended hospitality & sponsoring of Mengistu Haile Mariam?
August 03, 2013 11:21AM
Ras Adam that was an interesting article,-thanks for sharing. The article breaks down some of the history, dynamics, & narratives surrounding Mugabe & Zimbabwean politics & economics. It is a highly debatable topic as evidenced by the 148 comments that accompany the article at the time of your posting. The author of the article is very pro Mugabe & in addition to a lot of good points he also seems very often to be drinking the kool aid while wearing the rose colored glasses. He does not deal with corruption, Mugabe's wealthy oppulent lifestyle, voter intimidation, vote rigging, government orchestrated violence, crushing dissent, etc, etc. The documentary film that the writer of the article made about Mugabe has a title, " Mugabe, Hero or Villain" that gives the impression that it will explore that question in a balanced way but it is in essence a pro Mugabe propaganda film that parrots Mugabe's narrative about himself! Of course the history of colonialism plays a big role to play in the story & in part of that story Mugabe was the great freedom fighter & leader that helped to defeat an oppressive regime & lead the country to independance! The question is what has happened since? An honest assessmemt would have to include much more than Roy Agyemang seems willing to explore!
August 03, 2013 07:11PM
Looks like someone with an Arabic name has a campaign against Sizzla, how surprising. My question is why do Muslims and people with Arabic names go apoplectic on Sizzla on places like YouTube, something recently brought to my attention in a reasoning.
August 03, 2013 07:39PM
strikkly
Looks like someone with an Arabic name has a campaign against Sizzla, how surprising. My question is why do Muslims and people with Arabic names go apoplectic on Sizzla on places like YouTube, something recently brought to my attention in a reasoning.

Are you saying this is a trend? Because the Muslim war on SubSaharan (Black) Africa is nothing new.
August 03, 2013 07:42PM
Papa Ray
i didn't post that cause i'm pro anything i didnt even read the article yet i just saw the title in a link posted on FB and
repasted it here as more food for thought.
i hear a guy on NPR who hunts dictators and brings them back for trial in their own countries
although it takes years he's had some success. I hope he'll take out Mengistu Haile Mariam next.
a
August 03, 2013 08:05PM
Eazy you are jumping to divisive assumptions & missing the chance for fruitful dialogue & understanding. I do not have a "campaign" against Sizzla & I am not muslim (although if I was I would hope that would not preclude me from questioning Sizzla or heads of autocratic governments or respectfully having a different opinion than you). Dissing muslims based on some youtube vids is again a rush to judgement. Sizzla & Mugabe are both public figures that are not above having their actions/words questioned regardless of the religion of the one questioning. Please lets have a higher reasoning and respect each other and then we may learn something from each other even if we don't agree on all points.
August 04, 2013 02:11PM
My question is why people go dumb and take the music as well as the musicians actions waaaaay toooo seriously.
John Lennon was taken too seriously and he was killed for usurping the role of Jesus and inspired Charlie Manson to take his words way too seriously and murder many.
So yeah.....Suspicion on the one who takes the music and the musicians waaay too seriously.
August 04, 2013 03:35PM
Fair point, as was an earlier post about the inevitable disappointment of making musicians into role models. On the other hand reggae music is conscious "message" music & so in discussing the music & artists their words and actions naturally become a topic. Justice/injustice unity, politics, current events, etc are continual themes in reggae music as you know so to me it is normal to bring up reggae artists involvement in these themes in the real world as a topic for discussion! I think generally speaking fans of reggae music are socially conscious people that take the problems of the world seriously & appreciate many reggae artists who address current events/issues in the world in a meaningful way in their music!
August 04, 2013 06:20PM
Let's be honest...do we really think Sizzla has a deep understanding of the corruption in Zimabwe and the reasons why? Most of us don't. The average person rarely does any true critical thinkng of these foreign affairs issues. Sizzla is no different.
August 05, 2013 11:31AM
Seriously my point is that the agenda of Idris is 100 times greater than the agenda of Sizzla on this very issue!!!
Ease up from your fight against the artists.
If you had any concept of history you would understand that the associations of the sufferah in no way preclude the greater dynamic of the politics of power and oppression.
Stop trying to cloud the issue
Sizzla is from the sufferah....
From the seat of the Oppressor is 20/20 sight.
You could find a better campaign, brother...
Seen?!?
If you are from the seat of the oppressor then carry on with his logic.
August 05, 2013 11:55AM
And yet no one is giving an answer to the paradox of a Rastafarian who is befriending the man who gave refuge to the killer of the said Rastafarians's godhead.

The lengths reggae fans will go to justify certain behaviors of these artists never ceases to amaze me.
August 05, 2013 12:53PM
Does bringing up one artists support for a leader with a dubious human rights record as a topic for discussion as a thread on this forum constitute an "agenda" & "campaign" against the artists (plural). You keep changing what "your point" is strikkly! First your concern was that I might be a part of an online Muslim conspiracy against Sizzla because I have an "arabic sounding name" then your concern was that people take Reggae music & artists to seriously, & now what? Of course there are bigger issues & history & the associations of the sufferah do not preclude the greater dynamic of the politics of power & oppression. Instead of discussing current events/the recent election in Zimbabwe, Sizzla's support for Mugabe, or anything else your main point seems to be attacking me from a variety of ever evolving hazy arguments! Perhaps it is you that is trying to cloud the issue.
August 05, 2013 02:49PM
Maybe as an artist, Sizzla gets a "pass". But what about as a human being?

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
August 05, 2013 05:01PM
I am fascinated that you gathered as much from my posts.
August 05, 2013 05:30PM
"looks like someone with an Arabic name has a campaign against Sizzla" sounds like a fascinating conspiracy theory to me! lol strikkly-I will chill with my seriousness & over analysis if you chill with trying to pin an "agenda" & "campaign" on me! btw whats your favorite Sizzla tune mine is "No other like Jah"!
August 05, 2013 05:41PM

I think Chimino said it best.
August 05, 2013 05:48PM
As the most obvious contradiction continues to be ignored...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/05/2013 06:21PM by J_72.
August 05, 2013 07:11PM
J_72
And yet no one is giving an answer to the paradox of a Rastafarian who is befriending the man who gave refuge to the killer of the said Rastafarians's godhead.

The lengths reggae fans will go to justify certain behaviors of these artists never ceases to amaze me.
I am under the impression that most people are not ready to except just how full of @#$%& their "Prophets" are. Do I enjoy Sizzlas music? Yes I do, very much so. Do I subscribe to his beliefs and or think he is some sort of "prophet" or spiritual leader? Not in the slightest. To me he is just another entertainer that has a great ability to make a nice melody in the form of a rhythmic prose....Yes Chimino hit the nail on the head. Stop looking to musicians as role models. Half of them don't write or believe the things that come out of their mouths in the first place. Also I should ad that I do not identify as a Rasta. While I do enjoy the teachings and philosophies of his imperial majesty I do not except him as God incarnate, so I don't know how much my opinion really matters on the issue.
August 05, 2013 07:51PM
For the record, my days of looking to musicians as some sort of teachers ended a long time ago, but if a man claims to be Rastafari, musician or not, the whole Mugabe support seems so contradictory.
August 05, 2013 08:00PM
J_72
For the record, my days of looking to musicians as some sort of teachers ended a long time ago, but if a man claims to be Rastafari, musician or not, the whole Mugabe support seems so contradictory.
I would wonder if many Rastafari care to look for the truth and rights in their faith rather than blindly following a greater voice that seeks to empower their struggle and movement.
August 06, 2013 09:34AM
Odd thing you mention.

Back around 98-00 I used to think sizzla had some prophetic calling

I mean everything he put out was just that majestic. All his lyrics just inspired goodness and betterment

I give thanks for those recordings to this day
August 06, 2013 07:48PM
Egregious disrespect for the musical contributions of a great rasta musician.
No one talking is a spec of dust to the musical lyrical talent and ability of Sizzla Kalonji
....so honestly peeps should STFU!!!!!!
August 06, 2013 08:31PM
Silly fan boy.
August 06, 2013 08:50PM
Strikkly, no comment on the contradiction of Rasta Sizzla buddying with the man that gives refuge to Mengistu Haile Miriam?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2013 08:27AM by J_72.
August 07, 2013 10:06AM
I like me some Sizzler - especially that all-you-can-eat-salad-bar.
August 08, 2013 03:46PM
To me, it's totally unconscionable, unethical, and hypocritical for Sizzla to be chanting Rastafari lyrics when he is such good buddies with Mugabe, who is harboring Mengistu. I don't understand why there has not been more uproar about this in the global Rastafari community. Seems like this guy is always at the center of some controversy...be it his homophobia, the stashing of guns in his yard, to his recent appointment as "President of Rastafari."

Does anyone know if Mengistu is actually still alive? There were rumors flying around earlier this year about his passing.

Jah Bless and One Love.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login