Natural Black...
August 07, 2013 11:36AM
...was one of the best artists I've ever seen. Hands down he should go far. I would like to see him collab with Jahdan as well as Mos Def and Talib Kweli. He is back on the rasta cart I presume as every song was mentioning Selassie, Emmanuel and Bobo Hill. Seems like he knows what the Cali massive wants. Glad he got the opportunity to come out here and work, I think it's good for artists like him to get a solid try.
GO FAR Natural Black!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Natural Black...
August 07, 2013 11:50AM
Found this vid of his set at ROTR. Not the best audio, but it sounds nice...!

August 07, 2013 11:55AM
Another set I wanted to see!
August 07, 2013 12:04PM
yeah.. he put out some fiyah and meaningful conscious tunes...

the whole wayward thing kinda threw me and didnt fit him at all.
August 07, 2013 12:11PM
when did Natural Black come out and start making music and performing. Only on this phorum have I even heard of him. Is he from JA?? USA??

People really seem to say a lot of good things.
August 07, 2013 12:20PM
Natural Black is originally from Guyana, but has lived in JA for several decades now. I've got some singles of his that go back to the late '90s but his first album was released around 2002.....
August 07, 2013 12:29PM
Far From Reality (2006) is a great album front to back.
August 07, 2013 02:15PM
He was VERY good, enjoyed his set more than Anthony B/Tarrus and few other bigger names. I just hope we see more of him on the W. Coast in the future.
August 07, 2013 02:15PM
Interesting! Thank you Daniel. I will have to check out his music. I love Yahadanai also from Guyana i believe. Wonder when he will come out with a new album.
August 07, 2013 02:41PM
He had the best set Saturday hands down. Prezident Brown killed it in the morning, but Natural Black really got the crowd going that night. The place emptied out after Rockamovya and the crowd was pretty sparse at the start of his set. About half way through it really filled it up and he was throwing down big tune after big tune. It was an awesome set.

Julian Marley couldn't hold a candle to the sets Natural Black and Anthony B played right before him.....
August 07, 2013 03:04PM
Thanks for all the good info everyone! Winsome I will check out Far From Reality. Is it still available to purchase? I am still into buying CDS and records. Dont enjoy downloads.

Redwood Rebel, never understood why Prez Brown never gets to play later in the day. NWWRF he headlined and it was such an amazing set. Really enjoyed that set. SNWMF 2008 he played at like 2pm on saturday and it was my favorite set that weekend other than Midnite of course. Buju was pretty amazing too. I am very curious about Natural Black now. Off to find Far From Reality. Have a blessed day all!
August 07, 2013 03:24PM
"Jah Guide" is an amazing album by Natural Black. Highly recommended.

So Natural Black has come back to the livity of Rastafari?
August 07, 2013 04:16PM
JosephDaniel

Good question indeed. He did put on a great set, one of the highlites of the festival for me.

Here's his Wiki Bio, seems he is having a few personal problems of late:

Mortimer Softley was born in Georgetown, Guyana. He moved to Jamaica in 1995 to pursue his dream of being a reggae singer.[1] In Guyana he hailed from Linden in the community of All Boy Town and was nicknamed Black and White because of his love for dressing in that colour code. In Jamaica the musicians he hung around would rename him Natural Black. On his arrival into the island he worked as a welder and coffee picker while recording in his spare time for various producers. He made the rounds voicing for the likes of Anthony Red Rose, Gordon Lee, Jack Scorpio, Freddie McGregor and Beres Hammond. Some producers released material and others didn't but of the singles that came out all suffered for lack of promotion. His fortunes however began to change when in 2000 he met Roger Grant, a young producer just starting his label Organic Records. This association resulted in two singles, "With Feeling" and "Bad Mind" which captured the audiences attention and brought him his first taste of success. Both songs charted followed by In The Streetz' "Never Leave You Lonely" which peaked at number three on the Star charts.[citation needed] Grant became his manager and capitalised on the popularity of the singles by booking him on major shows like Sting, Reggae Sumfest and Rebel Salute. His promising career was further bolstered with frequent touring in France, Switzerland, and Sweden among other territories. Around this fertile period he also saw the release of his first album Spiritual Food on French label Patate followed by World War on Lionroots. His manager migrated to the US in 2004 and Natural Black scored in 2006 for producer Don Corleon with the chart topping "Far From Reality". The artist continues to record prolifically but has not being able to consistently maintain a high public profile. His career it seems his stuck in the stages of potential and the Guyanese hope is yet to truly conquer his adopted homeland.

Natural Black has fans in the Caribbean, Europe, the United States and Latin America and is currently signed to Vision Sound Studios of Guyana. He possesses a distinctively smooth and mellow voice, and parlays a style of his own. He is solidly in the forefront of the newroots and culture movement. He is a regular among the top record producers and show promoters. Over the years he's recorded with Organic, King Jammys, 5th Element, Rootsdown, In The Streetz, Lustre Kings, Addis, 321 Strong, Firehouse, Harmony House, Digital B, Lion Paw, Big Yard, Kickin', Young Blood, No Doubt and Maximum Sound,amongst others. He is closely associated with fellow deejays Norris Man and Perfect and often voice tunes in joint sessions over the same riddims with them.

Natural Black tours extensively and has performed to sold out audiences in Switzerland, Germany, Holland, Austria, France, Italy and Slovenia. He has performed on most of the major Reggae shows and festivals such as Uppsala Reggae Festival, Reggae Sumfest, Sting, Rebel Salute, East Fest and others. P.G. Music's Marlon McCubbin produced his 1995 album Far From Reality (Greensleeves) - easily Natural's biggest success thus far.

In 2007 he was sentenced to a $2000 fine and 120 hours of community service after pleading guilty to charges of disorderly conduct, indecent language, resisting arrest and being armed with an offensive weapon (a ratchet knife), after being arrested at Norman Manley International Airport.[2][3] He was arrested again in October that year on suspicion of stealing a car, although he was released after spending seven days in custody.[4]

In May 2012 he cut his locks because he was not living a Rastafarian lifestyle.[5]
August 07, 2013 05:16PM
Seems to me the man has a real conscience and trods an honest path.
August 07, 2013 08:53PM
Was very impressed with his show as was much of the crowd. He and the Prez were standouts on Saturday. In my mind nothing can justify the ridiculous set times the the Prez gets stuck with...acknowledgment soon come...

Looking forward to seeing much more from the man called Natural Black....
August 08, 2013 09:59AM
Musical thanks to Dada Sizzla for originating the singjay style that Natural Black patterned his style after. Jamaican music is exponentially great.
August 08, 2013 10:40AM
truly the surprise buss out performance of the fest! Natural Black was on fire!

agree wit Redwood Rebel, Julian turned out to be a poor choice for headliner...

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*
August 08, 2013 11:41AM
Ras Danny
agree wit Redwood Rebel, Julian turned out to be a poor choice for headliner...

I figured that would be the case, heard part of his set on the radio back at the campsite.

We left early to avoid the shuttle problems associated with the crush of people leaving at the end of the event.

Thought Les Nubians was a poor choice for a 4:30 slot on Saturday afternoon as well.

Other then those, I think they did a pretty good scheduling the artists.
August 08, 2013 03:46PM
BTW I saw Natural Black with Jr Kelly @ 19 Broadway which is cool under different promotion than Marin wannabe gangsters who usually control it. Jr Kelly did get cut off but I think that's the fault of the artist and promoter to start on time because police regulations will lock off the sound at curfew so that future shows can happen. Jr Kelly was upset but truly the treat was Natural Black.
Yo Ras Danny nice to see you real quick on Saturday at the Valley Stage, you were just headed to take a nap, Big Up!!!!!!!
August 08, 2013 07:20PM
August 08, 2013 08:28PM
I'm very thankful to KMUD that I was able to sit on my couch in AZ and listen to Natural Black's performance on the internet. It sounded great from here.

Please bring Natural Black to SNWMF! Jr. Kelly and Prezident Brown too please!
August 08, 2013 11:35PM
Nice Draw Daniel, you beat me to posting my own video winking smiley I have a few more too smiling smiley
August 09, 2013 07:37AM
I would love to see Natural Black next year! I would also like to see Prezident Brown headline Sunday night or play saturday night in that time slot where he starts off in the day light but finishes after the sun has gone down. He deserves a later slot than he gets a lot of times. Maybe he likes playing early??
August 09, 2013 08:59AM

I would love to see Natural Black next year! I would also like to see Prezident Brown headline Sunday night or play saturday night in that time slot where he starts off in the day light but finishes after the sun has gone down. He deserves a later slot than he gets a lot of times.

I'm not sure I fully ovas the notion of people's desire for 'later slot times'. Do people really think that an artist would perform better if their set time was later? As for me, I love the Prezident and would enjoy a set from him regardless as to whether it came at 2pm or 10pm. Given that the artists at SNWMF are generally 'slotted' according to their stature in the musical realms, a 10pm slot for the Prez would probably have to come at the 'expense' of having any artists like Bunny Wailer, Burning Spear or Mykal Rose on the bill.

Every year, there are a grand total of 3 artists that perform 'after the sun goes down' with another 3 that perform at sunset. These are what most people refer to as the 'headliners'. While I love Mr. Cotterell (and he ALWAYS delivers the goods live), quite simply he is not a headliner. Ditto for Natural Black, Protoje and the others that people have called out to have perform 'at night'.

Ever since Fantan Mojah performed right before Coco Tea, I have advocated for a "showcase" slot on Sunday evening where an artist gets placed into a time that their body of work probably does not merit (as was the case for Fantan), but to no avail. I suppose Cherine's appearance last year could qualify as a 'showcase'. And that appears to be exactly what ROTR did this year with Natural Black. I would have loved to have seen that this year for Windy City and for Romain Virgo in 2010.....
August 09, 2013 09:21AM
Daniel

I would love to see Natural Black next year! I would also like to see Prezident Brown headline Sunday night or play saturday night in that time slot where he starts off in the day light but finishes after the sun has gone down. He deserves a later slot than he gets a lot of times.

I'm not sure I fully ovas the notion of people's desire for 'later slot times'. Do people really think that an artist would perform better if their set time was later? quote]

In the case of Prezident Brown I don't personally think the time of day would affect how he performs. He's the kind of artist that plays great no matter the situation. I just think it would be awesome if he played at a time that would get him more recognition amongst the casual festival goers that may not get up out of camp and go see him rock the stage at 11:40 a.m. Personally, I feel The Prez should have played in Rootz Underground's spot Sunday afternoon at about 5:00 p.m. right before Morgan Heritage closed the festival out.
August 09, 2013 09:35AM

Personally, I feel The Prez should have played in Rootz Underground's spot Sunday afternoon at about 5:00 p.m. right before Morgan Heritage closed the festival out.

I can't disagree with that Redwood Rebel, as that is a more 'proper fit' for Mr. Fitz given his status in the reggae fraternity. Perhaps ROTR was also looking to 'showcase' Rootz Underground. To me, a 'showcase' slot should be reserved for a 'new' artist that hasn't gotten exposed to the masses before and Rootz Underground certainly has gotten plenty of good exposure in California.....
August 09, 2013 09:45AM
My whole reasoning for wanting Prez Brown to play latter is the exposure. I will never miss his set, whether it is at 10am or 11pm. I just tend to notice that a lot of festival folks dont even go down to the bowl until later at night. I just feel that Prez Brown is a very talented artist who does not always get the love he deserves. I will admit that in my early 20s I would not have even know who Prez Brown was as I did not head down to the bowl until a Marley or Banton or Steel Pulse was coming on. Please be gentle on me for that last comment. smiling smiley

The later the time slot the more artists get paid??? Just curious.
August 09, 2013 10:11AM
rossta8888
My whole reasoning for wanting Prez Brown to play latter is the exposure. I will never miss his set, whether it is at 10am or 11pm. I just tend to notice that a lot of festival folks dont even go down to the bowl until later at night.

Yeah, I noticed that too. My wife and I always go kinda early and party during the day and about 8pm we are spent and ready to go back to camp, especially if it gets cold and windy.

So, we hope the promoter puts on some great acts between say 3pm to 8pm as they did at ROTR. Others, like you observed, like to party at night and late and dont arrive at the bowl until after 6pm.

Very few if any have the endurance and stamina to party hard from noon to 3am...LOL
August 09, 2013 11:06AM
Exactly what I was thinking Daniel.

I have to say tho ROTR definitely put Natural Black in a great spot to showcase himself and gain some new fans. Saturday night as the sun goes down, playing right in front of one the most haile acclaimed live performers in reggae at the return to French's camp....
August 09, 2013 12:07PM
Not sure if anyone else noticed, but when Natural Black came on stage the "artist/backstage" area on both sides of the stage filled up with more people than I saw there all weekend. It appears the artists themselves really wanted to ckeck for him as well. I thought that was really cool.
August 09, 2013 12:20PM
I know Prez Brown has many many fans. But I have to admit I was awe struck to see maybe 2,000 to 3,000 people at noon time there for him at ROTR. Later at the KMUD press tent he was asked about playing so early in the day. He responded by saying to him it was a blessing, that some close a show and some open and for him to open that day was good. And as Rhythmwize said he and his wife like to party during the day as so many others do too. So there is a balance for those who party during the day and those who do at night. I was also amazed by how many were out in the morning for Paula Fuga and the Hawaii vibes........... It was all good at any time.
August 10, 2013 09:42AM
Natural Black was a very nice performance. Didn't know much of his tunes besides a few off "Far From Reality".

Junior Kelly was my favorite of the wekend. Pure positive vibes and upbeat rhythms. He's one of my favorite artists and it was great to see him perform for my 1st time. Definitely didn't dissapoint.

Chronixx was a close 2nd (dude is only 20?), followed by Anthony B, then Natural Black. Unfortunately I missed Blue King Brown's set, which sounds like it was a good one. Meditations were also very good.

As for early set times, it is hard for me personally to have the energy to catch all the daytime acts. That mid-day heat is a killer, and I want to save myself to last through the headliners. So I usually only catch a couple acts during the day, and end up missing acts such as Prez, Paula Fuga, and Blue King Brown. It's unfortunate, but the nature of the beast.

Overall it was a great return to French's Camp for ROTR. Next year is the 30th anniversary and I expect them to go BIG! This year was just a warm-up.

Bless Up SNWMF and ROTR for showing the world what a true California roots festival should be like!
August 10, 2013 01:38PM
JosephDaniel
"Jah Guide" is an amazing album by Natural Black. Highly recommended.

Nah, of course not. He made the mistake of being publicly honest about it being more profitable, while most of these so-called Rasta artists who use the persona for a paycheck know how to keep their mouth shut. I guess people have short memories or don't care if it's all for show, which they shouldn't.
August 10, 2013 02:39PM
Ahhh, that kinda takes something away from the utube tune I posted but the tune is still wicked with a nice vocal from Natural Black and heavy dubwize treatment from Twilight Sound! Check it!
August 10, 2013 10:19PM
If ya dunno...

August 14, 2013 03:59AM
August 15, 2013 11:21AM
Headline slot also means longer set time and more encore oppurtunities. Sometimes those afternoon sets great artists get sandwiched with other artists. (I.E. Junior Kelly @SNWMF)....Sometimes a band will play more of an upbeat set at night, and a more rootsy set in the day. Thus Junior Kelly still needs to headline, although his set eas fantastic.
August 17, 2013 07:57AM

When the artist list for ROTR came out, I knew Natural Black was potentially the biggest draw-glad to hear he performed so well. I tuned into KMUD too late to catch him but caught Anthony B's 3 hour set-it would never end. Agree with Winsome above, Far from Reality is all killer, no filler whatsoever.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
August 19, 2013 09:16AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2013 03:39PM by nahikuroots.
August 19, 2013 11:34AM
oops

--
blessid love
ras danny
higher reasoning reggae time
KBOO Portland, Full Strength Community Radio
*Love is a net that catches hearts like fish.*
-Muhammad Ali
*I don't like reggae, I love it*

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/19/2013 11:40AM by Ras Danny.
August 20, 2013 12:47PM
I remember seeing a post on FB that Prez made that morning promoting his set and he specifically stated that he was happy with the time slot.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login