Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

I know u all have seen this performer many times, but SNWMF 2014 please bring foward...

Posted by Rastavibe 
I know u all have seen this performer many times, but SNWMF 2014 please bring foward...
August 08, 2013 05:35AM
Forward Mykal Rose. No need for a Black Uhuru reunion, or get together or tribute (but it would be really Irie). He's one of my all time favorites. I could never get enough. He always brings fyah. Consider this my nomination for SNWMF 2014. FYI, be prepared for this nomination drop from now til SNWMF 2014....... I APPROVE THIS nomination
Re: I know u all have seen this performer many times, but SNWMF 2014 please bring foward...
August 08, 2013 02:08PM
You check the recent audio from Cabaret Sauvage with Sly & Robbie RastaVibe? Essentially, he played ONLY Uhuru tunes until the last 10-15 minutes so, like it or not, another Uhuru set is what you would get. Don't get me wrong, I loved Black Uhuru back in the day but that was 30 years ago.

At this point, I would much rather see S&R back Johnny Osbourne (the strongest Taxi set at Cabaret imo), Bitty McLean or Khalifa than to see Grammy Rose come and do a repeat of the lackluster set he did at Sierra in 2009....
Re: I know u all have seen this performer many times, but SNWMF 2014 please bring foward...
August 08, 2013 03:15PM
Daniel

At this point, I would much rather see S&R back Johnny Osbourne (the strongest Taxi set at Cabaret imo), Bitty McLean or Khalifa than to see Grammy Rose come and do a repeat of the lackluster set he did at Sierra in 2009....

thumbs up
August 08, 2013 04:29PM
M. Rose would not be an enticement. He's great, but getting stale, with so many regular appearances in ncal.
August 08, 2013 04:33PM
Last time I saw him in Oakland he first called it San Francisco, then San Jose, then San Luis Obispo, until the bass player told him it was Oakland.

Love that reggae!
August 08, 2013 05:03PM
MICHAEL ROSE with SLY & ROBBIE – Sept / Oct Calendar

Fri Sept 20 – San Francisco, CA – Yoshi’s
Sat Sept 21 – Santa Cruz, CA – Moe’s Alley
Sun Sept 22 – Los Angeles, CA – Santa Monica Pier
Tues Sept 24 – Seattle, WA – Neumos
Thurs Sept 26 – Solano Beach, CA – The Belly Up
Fri Sept 27th – Denver, CO – Casselman’s
Sun Sept 29th - New York, NY – B.B. Kings
Tues Oct 1st – Washington, D.C. – The Howard Theatre
August 08, 2013 05:20PM
At least he mentioned San Luis Obispo, hahahaha

be well
eric v
August 08, 2013 06:26PM
It would be great if the same showcase of singers came through California. Been waiting on Bitty Mclean for a minute. Love Johnny Osborne all the time, and was impressed with Khalifa at the Garance Festival and Paris shows.

It would be a massive show at Moes. Seriously.
August 08, 2013 06:49PM
I've seen him a few times now and the set he played at Sierra in 09 stands out as being pretty bad....the last couple times I saw him were much improved sets though
August 08, 2013 07:37PM
Chronixx needs to come through
August 08, 2013 08:53PM
I know. I can come up with a wish list of other artist I would LOVE to see, but its not that simple for me anymore. I don't hit the reggae circuit anymore like I used to. Over the past 5 years iv started a family and need to pick and choose which shows I can go too, that's why I LOVE SNWMF. Many names come to mind, but I keep my hopes and expectations simple. For me its a simple request. U can still count me in no matter whose on the line-up. Keep the vibes positive and respect the people and the surroundings. BIG UP
August 08, 2013 10:20PM
I was surprised as to how lack lectern his set was in 09 and how much better junior Reid was. I want to see the taxi gang with bitty, Osborne and khalifa.
August 08, 2013 10:36PM
I still prefer Don Carlos with Sly n Robbie doing a Black Uhru set. Only time I have seen Michael Rose was NWWRF 2009. He was okay but Junior Reid was better right before him.
August 08, 2013 11:04PM
for me jr reid and michael rose have similar talent, on any night they could be good or suck, Don Carlos is always good.

Love that reggae!
August 09, 2013 02:16AM
Trouble with Michael Rose is when he just sings the same 7 Uhuru songs.... He rarely throws in some of his very good recent work
August 09, 2013 04:48AM
I loved every minute of his set a few weeks ago in truckee.
I thought his voice was great and I he was enjoying himself. He even was playing around with a few other notes besides too too twang that I have never heard him sing. I even heard one song that was new to me which caught my attention. His voice was classic. A professional. I believe he just showed up and was backed by the house back up band from snwmf this year. As the set went along he was teaching the band how he liked it and was adjusting speakers and orchestrating things.
All went great. He kept singing even after the lights came on at the truckee theater. 2 hour set easy.
He looked and sang great! Bring him on any time in my opinion!
August 11, 2013 03:44AM
Only if he signs a no-Uhuru clause in the contract. Only solo career songs....even if he has to freestyle sing. He's got the best voice.
August 12, 2013 10:50PM
love the music over the years but his saying "What's my name??" so many times in 2009 (more than usual mind you) compelled me to actually leave before the set was over....narcissim in any form from anyone kills it for me personally.
August 13, 2013 12:42AM
@ Reggae lover71 -- Same thing for me. i've always loved M.Rose, one of my all time faves, but that set in '09 was a big turn-off & I left early also.

That said, if he's cleaned up his act, and his voice is still strong, I would definiteley pay to see him again, Black Uhuru tunes and all!
August 13, 2013 12:44AM
Sorry, he got stale for me back in the "Tu tu tweng"/"Staniahoy" days. The whole "what's my name" thing made me think he might be getting senile and forgetting it. btw, to be fair, I bought Rose's "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" 45 in 1976, so he re-recorded some of his earlier tunes in Uhuru style.
August 13, 2013 04:21PM
gabertron
I loved every minute of his set a few weeks ago in truckee.
All went great. He kept singing even after the lights came on at the truckee theater. 2 hour set easy.
He looked and sang great! Bring him on any time in my opinion!

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
August 19, 2013 04:58PM
He might be forgetting his name. He keeps asking "what's my name?' because he keeps changing the spelling. Michael Rose ...MYkal ROZE. Your grammy claim expires after 20 years.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login