Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ALL MIDNITE FANS

Posted by ras2thebone 
ALL MIDNITE FANS
August 20, 2013 12:55AM
Please check my story about MIDNITE's formation in St. Croix, early years of struggling in DC, and the recording of their first three seminal albums:

http://midnightraverblog.com/2013/08/19/midnite-in-the-garden-of-good-and-evil/

also

http://www.worldareggae.com/reggaeyard/midnite-in-the-garden-of-good-and-evil/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2013 12:56AM by ras2thebone.
Re: ALL MIDNITE FANS
August 20, 2013 02:28PM
Unpolished is a 16 or 24 track studio recording.

The liner notes to Ras Mek Peace explain that the minimalist recording techniques of Pierre Sprey at Mapleshade Records were both a challenge to the band and their first experience recording live to 2 track. He used 3 mics on that album.

I'm often suprised The Twinkle Brothers are not mentioned in the influences/similarities section of any writing about Midnite.
August 20, 2013 05:50PM
HI*FI wrote: "I'm often suprised The Twinkle Brothers are mentioned in the influences/similarities section of any writing about Midnite."

when i 1st heard midnites slow paced style i immediatly thought of twinkles

August 20, 2013 06:37PM
Ras_Adam
HI*FI wrote: "I'm often suprised The Twinkle Brothers are mentioned in the influences/similarities section of any writing about Midnite."

when i 1st heard midnites slow paced style i immediatly thought of twinkles

You are absolutely correct about Ras Mek Peace and Pierre Sprey at Mapleshade. Did I state that Unpolished was recorded to 2-tracks? If so, I need to change that. I do know that there were no overdubs/effects and what you hear is pretty close to the rough recording. Something crazy though. I was told by the drummer that the tracks on Unpolished were recorded in studio, live at the 18th Street Lounge, and a couple were even demo tracks. Who knows. It was difficult to get the straight skinny as nobody associated with the group would go on record for the piece. I did speak to many who were involved with the recording of those first 3 albums, but Amby Connor was the only one who let me use his name.
August 20, 2013 06:40PM
Why were they hesitant to go on record?
August 20, 2013 06:59PM
I really enjoyed the article! Thank you for sharing! I always enjoying reading about Midnite!
January 09, 2014 09:43PM
ras2thebone
Did I state that Unpolished was recorded to 2-tracks? If so, I need to change that.

Yes. Infact, it is highly emphasized by the short sentences and double spacing. At the same time, it looks "remarkably similiar" to a section in Pierre Sprey's liner notes from Ras Mek Peace.thumbs down

“Bushman,” “Love the Life You Live,” “Eyes Are the Light,” “Propaganda,” “Kaaba Stone,” “Due Reward,” “Don’t Move (Lion’s Dread),” “Meditation (Babylon Fruits),” “Mama Africa,” “Time and Time Again.” Each song will be performed and recorded live. Here in this small Washington, D.C. recording studio. Just like a live gig.

Two mics.

No overdubs.

No delay.

No equalization.

No reverb.

No mixing.

Just raw, naked talent and pure instinct. Unpolished."

ras2thebone
I do know that there were no overdubs/effects and what you hear is pretty close to the rough recording.

No. It is a multitracked, mixed and mastered CD. And there is plenty of reverb.

Revisited here - with the underlined making zero sense, even if it was true.

"Unpolished, the band’s first proper full-length LP, is released in the African country of Namibia in December 1997, however it did not see wide release until four years later when it is released wide by Rastafaria in 2001. The album, produced by Ron Benjamin, Yuri and Preston Powell for Jahsoul Productions and recorded at East Coast Flavor in Washington, D.C. was recorded with no mixing board, which means no overdubs, no reverb, no delay and no equalization. There were only two mics in the studio for the recording and the drums were not mic’d at all. It is transferred directly to analog tape.

And -

"Like Unpolished, the band’s sophomore album titled Ras Mek Peace (Before Reverb and Without Delay) is recorded using no mixing board, no filtering, no compression, no equalization, no noise reduction, multitracking or overdubbing, giving it a similar raw sound. "

Crediting these articles to 'Ras Michael' is confusing, at best.
Surely you know there is a world famous Ras Michael in reggae music?

January 10, 2014 10:21AM
this article seems pretty misguided and inaccurate. if it’s “difficult to get the straight skinny” because "nobody associated with the group would go on record for the piece", perhaps it’s best not to publish it.

me nah like nuh wikipedia style. eye rolling smiley

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login