Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ifrica off the bill @ Rastafest

Posted by Ras_Adam 
Ifrica off the bill @ Rastafest
August 24, 2013 01:28PM
Re: Ifrica off the bill @ Rastafest
August 24, 2013 04:30PM
Is there footage of her speech anywhere?
August 24, 2013 07:31PM
here's her repsonse song

August 24, 2013 08:27PM
Pretty simple.. She has freedom of speech and promoters have a freedom of choosing who they book and don't book..
August 24, 2013 08:38PM
that seems to be it in a pongonutshell
August 25, 2013 01:12PM
Pretty funny an artist would be removed from something named "Rastafest" for speaking against homosexuality.
August 25, 2013 01:24PM
Sadly her opinions are right in line with the right wingers in America. She was too much talent to waste it on issues that seemingly have no impact in her life.
August 25, 2013 03:37PM
akee123
Sadly her opinions are right in line with the right wingers in America. She was too much talent to waste it on issues that seemingly have no impact in her life.
Funny thing is, that most Rastafarian values and ideologies are in line with conservative values. Faith, family values, hard work and self sufficiency are very important with both groups. Real Rastafarians have less in common with Obama and more with Reagan.

Everybody wants to raid the barn,
Nobody wants to plant the corn.-
Anthony B
August 25, 2013 07:49PM
I wouldn't state "hard work" as a republicam idea. They state it, but they also believe they hit a home run when in fact, they were born on third base.
August 25, 2013 07:56PM
akee123
I wouldn't state "hard work" as a republicam idea. They state it, but they also believe they hit a home run when in fact, they were born on third base.

LOL so you think everyone at a Tea Party rally was born with a silver spoon in their mouth?
Your statement's just plain ignorant, like saying Democrats are on welfare.
August 25, 2013 08:38PM
akee123
Wow!!! Your ignorance and prejudice is astounding. My grandfather was a staunch conservative. He was born with nothing, left home penniless at 17 and worked his whole life to live a comfortable and humble life. He feared god, gave to the needy and continued to do his best to be of service to the sick and less fortunate up until his last day. He taught his children and grandchildren to hold the same values. He despised welfare, but fully believed in social responsibility. His motto, "never help anybody that's not willing to help themselves, you might miss the opportunity to change someone's life"
August 25, 2013 11:12PM
I think hard work, family values, and self sufficiency have less to do with political parties and religious affiliation than humanity in general, and yes, that includes gay people.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/25/2013 11:24PM by J_72.
August 25, 2013 11:52PM
I'd say Caribbean culture in general, not just Rastafari, is conservative and religious-based, and opposed to liberal ideals when they clash with Judeo-Christian beliefs on abortion, homosexuality, etc.
August 25, 2013 11:54PM
I'm talking about Republican leadership....Tea Party is not republican leadership. The Republican mantra of everyone having equal opportunity is a joke, yet many still drink the Kool Aid.
August 26, 2013 01:02AM
Funny thing you should bring up government leaders and the drinking of kool aid smiling smiley

[www.sfgate.com]
August 26, 2013 01:11AM
Yes indeed Eastbay..liberals drink their own Kool Aid too. One of those being that the government is the best way to solve societies problems. Another being that unions are always well intended.
August 26, 2013 01:21AM
akee123
Yes indeed Eastbay..liberals drink their own Kool Aid too. One of those being that the government is the best way to solve societies problems. Another being that unions are always well intended.
Bless Akee..I think we can agree that whatever side of the aisle you feel best suits your beliefs, the leaders only care about what suits their best interests...
August 26, 2013 12:39PM
What I don't get about all this controversy is, if Lisa Hanna and the Ministry of Youth and Culture are so upset, why did they book Queen Ifrica in the first place? It's not like she said anything she hasn't said many times before. Agree or disagree, you know what your getting when you book certain artists. I wouldn't book her and then be upset that she uses the time to reiterate beliefs we all know she has, just as I wouldn't go book Vybz Kartel and then complain about his lyrics, because I should have known what to expect. If they didn't want to stir up the controversy, they could have easily invited an artist who's not known for burning out things (i.e. this wouldn't be an issue if they booked I Octane or Romain Virgo instead, someone less controversial)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2013 12:49PM by Dr Suess.
August 26, 2013 09:00PM
yeah, i think piss poor planning is to blame here.

personally, i strongly dislike all the "bunning out" of gay people. then again, i would never start a festival called "rastafest" and invite queen ifrica. THEN, revoke said invitation because of her rasta beliefs. that's extremely stupid, and casts an exploitative vibe over the whole festival. Like "hey everybody come buy tickets to our "rastafest!!!" Well, actually its really just our liberal canadian interpretation of "rasta" because that's more marketable... EXCUSE I!!!! YES I!!! Every ting Irie Mon!!!
August 26, 2013 09:46PM
blessedcoast
Pretty simple.. She has freedom of speech and promoters have a freedom of choosing who they book and don't book..

Absolutely.

But I do feel it is important that Jamaican artists understand that when passin tru an American, European or Canadian venue, hate talk, inciting violence and anti homosexual rhetoric generally will not be tolerated or accepted. When touring, artists should be seeking to connect with crowds and building a fan base. Preaching hate and anti homosexual views is counter productive. Simply put, its about respecting or lack thereof another culture.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2013 09:47PM by DJ Treez.
August 27, 2013 01:24AM
seems like whether in the context of good career moves and/or spreading reggae, rasta, and some of the higher levels and potential of the music and the message and possibility for equal rights, justice, unity, peace, etc that artists have been continually dropping the ball and missing opportunities because of a preoccupation with gay people! Bob Marley was able to achieve serious heights in terms of both his international music career, bringing reggae and rastafari to all corners of the globe, and making a serious impact world wide in terms of the world thinking about and dealing with the above mentioned themes of equality, justice, unity, peace, etc! He was such a powerful figure as he traveled and toured internationally that ever since his passing the question hanging in the air of who will be either the "next Bob Marley" and/or who will carry the torch and fulfill the work/the potential/ the international impact has been a subtext or even at the forefront of reggae music as it evolves! Unfortunately it seems despite incredible musical talents, some important conscious music, full charisma and great performance abilities that the greatest artists of the post Marley era most capable of fulfilling all of the above have blown it by an almost unhealthy fixation with hating gay people and thus clouding and distracting from the larger message of unity, peace, equality, justice, etc while interupting their International impact and career(s)! Successive generations of dancehall artists have failed to learn the lessons from Buju and Shabba getting distracted from a larger mission and having their careers get off course right as they were seriously sky is the limit busting because of anti gay viewpoints expressed in various contexts! And this trend of potential and ultimate dropping the ball/missing opportunities for the same reason has continued with Sizzla, Capeleton, Beenie Man, Bounty Killer, etc! These are great artists who have done a lot of great things musically and otherwise but all to often the conversation internationally revolves around their expressions of anti gay views musically and otherwise! I think it would be better if the conversation was around the injustices of the world or how to create a better world (which these artists also express very effectively) or even just their great music.
August 28, 2013 01:11AM
Well said....reggae can be its own worst enemy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login