Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OT: I'll Be Opening for Vintage Trouble 9/7 Los Angeles

Posted by papa ray 
OT: I'll Be Opening for Vintage Trouble 9/7 Los Angeles
August 28, 2013 07:46PM
Happy to say I'm going to be DJ-ing September 7th Saturday for the band Vintage Trouble. Special guest, keyboard grandmaster Booker T. Jones.

For this band & their audience I'm giving an all-vinyl soul/foundation R&B/blues selection, BUT I've got a few JA sides ala Ken Parker, Delroy Wilson, some Jackie Mittoo, old Toots...

Vintage Trouble was featured on every date of the 2013 World Tour of The Who; played before The Rolling Stones this July in London, and have their THIRD appearance on Jay Leno this year in September.

If you would have told me last year I'd actually enjoy opening for a ROCK band, I would have laughed. But this is the first time ever I have ever used the term 'classic rock' and not mean it as a dismissive put-down; their vocalist is the most soulful frontman(w/ dance & crowd moves somewhere between James Brown & Jackie Wilson) I may have EVER seen in a rock context, and the other 3 members of VT put on such a driving soul/rock show you can understand why Booker T has taken an interest in these guys.

Check youtube under their name and Jools Holland, if you want to get to what I'm talking about...they are pretty much the antithesis of so much lame, 'folk-light-indi rock' pablum around these days, ala the Lumineers---IMAGINE, a Rock Band that's been around less than 2 years worth checking out. I ain't lyin'.
AJ
Re: OT: I'll Be Opening for Vintage Trouble 9/7 Los Angeles
August 29, 2013 05:34AM
Papa Ray ~ Have a irie time in my home town. I hope Laura is going with you.
You probably already know this, but give yourself plenty of driving time & time to find parking in some areas. Better early than late.
Also plenty of good falafels in L.A.
Congratulations on a nice gig!
Re: OT: I'll Be Opening for Vintage Trouble 9/7 Los Angeles
August 29, 2013 07:48AM
Miz Laura IS attending---theater is on Wilshire, & nearby is our hotel. Glory!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login