Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

reggae thru time

Posted by blazeiyah 
reggae thru time
September 04, 2013 08:42PM
working on a conceptual set charting the course of seminal tunes through the ages.....building the house from the foundation up so to speak.....thought i would open this up to the forum for any pivotal tunes that ones see as defining an era/time/place...that being said what are some of the quintessential tracks that ones rate as shaping the destiny & inspiration of the future yet to come?
Re: reggae thru time
September 04, 2013 09:34PM
September 04, 2013 09:34PM
September 04, 2013 09:38PM
AKA
September 04, 2013 09:45PM
The Folkes Brothers & Count Ossie Group

September 04, 2013 10:38PM
An 80's era would have Steel Pulse from that era, i.e. Chant a Psalm, Your House, etc. That defined my high school listening experience, along with Jimmy Cliff's Special, Don Carlos 400 Years and a few others of that genre.
September 04, 2013 11:31PM
Heading into 90s I would include Luciano, It's Me Again Jah
September 04, 2013 11:37PM
Gotta start with the FOUNDATION

September 05, 2013 12:10AM
akee123

thumbs up
September 05, 2013 02:48AM
J_72
akee123

thumbs up

Yes, 'It's Me Again Jah' - and well, just about anything from Luciano's 'Where There Is Life' LP could fit nicely in this group..

Strangely enough, just yesterday, for some unknown reason, all of a sudden I was thinking how hard Luciano's "One Way Ticket" hit the scene in 1994 and what a mark it seemed to sorta make back then... it had a jolt to it compared to other tunes of that time that is hard for me to describe...

1994, 1995 --- any of these Luciano songs were some of the bigger boosts in the cultural swing that continued very strong throughout the '90s - and beyond - but not in the same musical style.

One mini-era, if you will, that I'd be interested to see what songs make a mark is '86 to '89 or so... it was a bit strange back then, even though each set of years has lots of great songs, no big wave of a certain sound really stood out during that time frame from what i remember.

Some great songs, off the top:

Bunny Wailer - Serious Thing
Half Pint - Greetings
Beres Hammond - She Loves Me Now
Admiral Tibet - Leave People Business

But once '91, '92, especially '93 hit, things started cooking again...

Even though Reggae has always had a 'new thing' mentality to it, it sure can be fun to look back too...
September 05, 2013 04:18AM
September 05, 2013 04:18AM
yes j72 would you classify the relevence of steel pulse in the timeline peaking in the late 70's and declining by the early-80's?

definitely on a basement roots culture vibe here in 1978, and it seems to me that the release of 'true democracy' was the peak of the trajectory in 1982.

@collie4nyah, not disputing toots laying claim to the phrase 'reggay' and his establishment as a father of the sound, however when seeking the foundational essence of the music what are the deepest original roots cuts to you not necessarily in time/date form but in space &sound & relevence to the socio-political-spiritual sphere?

on that vein reggaefan seeing junior delgado bearing socio-political relevence in that era 86-89 thru britain, with the censorship of broadwater farm and upheaval thru london. tenor saw the one that holds the strongest place in that micro-climate of time for me definitely shaping the form of the music with his riding form on the digi-roots advent(?):

September 05, 2013 02:21PM
Here are 4 songs that I would consider to be "quintessential tracks." I've always loved the first three. The forth, not so much.....

September 05, 2013 02:49PM
reggaefan
J_72
akee123

thumbs up

Yes, 'It's Me Again Jah' - and well, just about anything from Luciano's 'Where There Is Life' LP could fit nicely in this group..

Strangely enough, just yesterday, for some unknown reason, all of a sudden I was thinking how hard Luciano's "One Way Ticket" hit the scene in 1994 and what a mark it seemed to sorta make back then... it had a jolt to it compared to other tunes of that time that is hard for me to describe...

1994, 1995 --- any of these Luciano songs were some of the bigger boosts in the cultural swing that continued very strong throughout the '90s - and beyond - but not in the same musical style.

One mini-era, if you will, that I'd be interested to see what songs make a mark is '86 to '89 or so... it was a bit strange back then, even though each set of years has lots of great songs, no big wave of a certain sound really stood out during that time frame from what i remember.

Some great songs, off the top:

Bunny Wailer - Serious Thing
Half Pint - Greetings
Beres Hammond - She Loves Me Now
Admiral Tibet - Leave People Business

But once '91, '92, especially '93 hit, things started cooking again...

Even though Reggae has always had a 'new thing' mentality to it, it sure can be fun to look back too...

'one way ticket' on the sweet talking riddim was too nice.. 'lady g - when we rock back' also hit hard on that riddim as well..

when talking about 91-97.. it was all about gun tune... culture for sure took a back seat during this time... merciless, bounty, beenie, super c, ninja... ahhhh.. the memories..
September 05, 2013 03:35PM
bigvein
'one way ticket' on the sweet talking riddim was too nice.. 'lady g - when we rock back' also hit hard on that riddim as well..

when talking about 91-97.. it was all about gun tune... culture for sure took a back seat during this time... merciless, bounty, beenie, super c, ninja... ahhhh.. the memories..

Yes Bigvein, that Lady G was the tune I loved most on that nicely done relick of Sweet Talking... another good one was Coco Tea's 'Police Don't Fear'... and Sanchez 'Just Another Sad Love Song'..... oh my, full speed ahead when all these got strung together!

And yes, you are very very right about gun tunes being a huge part of the 90s... It was such a strange time - lots of cultural tunes..... and lots of gun tunes... all at once hot smiley...

Maybe this one will cover a good amount of the grounds we are talking about

September 10, 2013 06:12AM
@reggaefan solid digi-tune there has that pinging 'bounce' that rings my head mercilessly gotta love it

this the gun tune i rate, on a whole different vibe note benjamin zephaniah everybody hav a gun 1984, across the pond:

[www.allmusic.com]

@daniel any tunes that really dig under the surface of the thing? i note the seminal reach of each of those tunes, however what do you see as a track that is underappreciated yet holds tremendous definition...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login