Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

just an observation

Posted by bigvein 
just an observation
September 06, 2013 12:33PM
after lifting at "muscle beach" i did my usual walking the boardwalk thing.

as i walked a 1/4 mile or so, i noticed that most shops were playing reggae. i am not even counting the stoner or 'jamaican' shops.. but your clothing or trinket shops mostly had some form of reggae playing.. whether cali reggae, jamaican roots, or some modern styles..
Re: just an observation
September 06, 2013 09:02PM
bigvein

as i walked a 1/4 mile or so, i noticed that most shops were playing reggae. i am not even counting the stoner or 'jamaican' shops.. but your clothing or trinket shops mostly had some form of reggae playing.. whether cali reggae, jamaican roots, or some modern styles..

What was the most obscure tune you heard, regardless of the store?

I love when you hear Reggae in surprise situations...

One of my favorites --- am sitting at a red light, car pulls up on the right side of me, and dude is blaring and singing along to Beres Hammond's 'Rock Away' --- I tooted my horn, gave him a thumbs up, he smiled and laughed. Then when the light turned green, he shot off like a rocket - that's when I knew for sure he was Jamaican spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out
September 07, 2013 01:34PM
I've found reggae to be the music that most people can agree on, regardless of how deep they get into it. It brings together many different types of people even if it isn't something they listen to on the regular.
September 07, 2013 03:50PM
I remember hearing Burning Spear's "Christopher Columbus" in Trader Joe's. That one kind of surprised me...
September 07, 2013 04:27PM
Buying a burrito at World Wrapp last week and hearing Tosh's "Brand New Second Hand"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2013 04:28PM by reggaeromp.
September 07, 2013 04:30PM
BV if you talkin about Venice Beach, gotta big up the Brotha with the "Reggae For Children" CDs
September 07, 2013 05:26PM
reggaefan
bigvein

What was the most obscure tune you heard, regardless of the store?

I love when you hear Reggae in surprise situations...

One of my favorites --- am sitting at a red light, car pulls up on the right side of me, and dude is blaring and singing along to Beres Hammond's 'Rock Away' --- I tooted my horn, gave him a thumbs up, he smiled and laughed. Then when the light turned green, he shot off like a rocket - that's when I knew for sure he was Jamaican spinning smiley sticking its tongue outspinning smiley sticking its tongue out

hmm if i would say the dub to jacob millers 'baby i love you so'

i suspect most of these places just had some online radio station playing..

i did note one artist off on the side was playing some nice tune.. of which he was singing along with.. so he seemed to be hip to the culture.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login