Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

OT: Dreadlocks Not Allowed

Posted by J_72 
OT: Dreadlocks Not Allowed
September 09, 2013 10:57AM
[www.aclu.org]

A Little Girl's Rights and a Father's Pride

“Because they didn’t like my dreads.” That’s all 7-year-old Tiana Parker could manage to say while fighting back tears in response to reporters’ questions.

Tiana was just sent home in tears by teachers and administrators at the Deborah Brown Community School—a charter school in Tulsa, Oklahoma—because they objected to her dreadlocked hairdo. The insult drove the straight-A student's family to remove her from the school.

According to the school’s written dress code, “dreadlocks, afros” and other “faddish styles” are “unacceptable.” But far from being a “faddish” hairstyle, dreads or braids have been a traditional style of wearing hair for more than a thousand years. Tiana’s father—a barber himself—goes to great lengths to make sure Tiana always arrives at school presentable: “I take pride in my kids looking nice,” he explained.

Courts have long held that students “do not shed their constitutional rights to freedom of speech or expression at the schoolhouse gate.” Even when the speech occurs in a classroom, school officials must still prove that any forbidden conduct would substantially interfere with the operation of the school or impinge upon the rights of other students.

The only interference here was with a young girl’s feelings and her father’s pride in how he sends her out in to the world each day.

The sponsor of the school, Langston University, as well as the school's Superintendent, Deborah Brown, have both announced that they want to see the unfair and unconstitutional policy changed. And on Monday night, the Deborah Brown Community School board will have the power to change it with a simple vote.
Re: OT: Dreadlocks Not Allowed
September 09, 2013 11:50AM
J_72
According to the school’s written dress code, “dreadlocks, afros” and other “faddish styles” are “unacceptable.”

School has a rule.
Don't be no fool.
Find another school.
September 09, 2013 02:21PM
Dreadlocks and Afros are natural to Afrikans and any policy against our naturality is discrimination. We shouldnt have to change schools or who we are, they should have to change their policy and stop discriminated against InI Afreekans.
September 09, 2013 03:47PM
For real!! Next step is requiring dark skin to bleach!! Total discrimination!!
September 09, 2013 04:10PM
Prince Zahir
Dreadlocks and Afros are natural to Afrikans and any policy against our naturality is discrimination. We shouldnt have to change schools or who we are, they should have to change their policy and stop discriminated against InI Afreekans.

iriebarto
For real!! Next step is requiring dark skin to bleach!! Total discrimination!!

huh?. It's a black run school.
[www.dbcschool.org]
September 09, 2013 04:57PM
If the school is receiving government funding, then it is receiving my tax dollars. My tax dollars should not be spent discriminating against a little girl for her hair.
September 09, 2013 05:06PM
the school has rules that all parents know about (or should know about). if he wants his little girl to have dreads (actually, they don't look like dreads but pigtails,imo) he should move her to a school that allows dreads.
This is like the people living near McClellan Air Force Base in sacktown. They bought houses near an airfield and now they are complaining
about planes flying around. If you don't want planes flying overhead, don't buy near an airfield. If you want dreads, don't go to a school that doesn't allow them.

And again I will say - the school is black run.
September 09, 2013 06:34PM
I think it's discriminatory, black or white. A person's hairstyle does not dictate his/her willingness and ability to learn.

Just my two cents. I guess that's why I support public education.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/10/2013 01:28AM by J_72.
September 09, 2013 07:57PM
Cant believe I am saying this, but I gotta agree with Mulligan on this one. Rules are rules. While yes it is discriminatory, the school has the right to enforce a dress code that the parents agreed to when they enrolled their child in said charter school.

Great analogy Mulliganthumbs up It reminds me of the Mexicans ive worked with over the years. They risked their lives to leave Mexico to come here for a better life and opportunity for their families and children, only to bitch and complain about how they wished America was more like Mexico. Just never understood the logic.
September 09, 2013 10:10PM
So a black person or school cant discrimimate against others of their same race? Some of you dont make sense. I see black folk hating on Afreekan heritage and culture all day everyday....ever wonder why a lot of Afrikan women in america wear perms? Come on people get real. This is discrimination period.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/09/2013 10:36PM by Prince Zahir.
September 09, 2013 10:12PM
Furthermore the girl had been going to the school for some time with locks before this incident. Anyways I see why I dont comment on this page often
September 10, 2013 06:07AM
They are simply locks as there is likely no DREAD of a little girl. Who is afraid of her? I make an effort to refer to them as simply locks - as I have no DREAD. Further, an "afro" was called a "natural" when I grew up and both have been around for centuries - hardly "faddish". Seems like she is within the rules to me.
September 10, 2013 07:06AM
EvanCR
They are simply locks as there is likely no DREAD of a little girl. Who is afraid of her? I make an effort to refer to them as simply locks - as I have no DREAD. Further, an "afro" was called a "natural" when I grew up and both have been around for centuries - hardly "faddish". Seems like she is within the rules to me.
It depends on where your at. In the bay area "dreads" are a very faddish hairstyle. Over the years "dreads" have become part of the "gangster" uniform and are worn for fasion and trend. Again, I'm not saying it isn't prejudice or discriminatory, because it is, but the fact remains at a youth level clothing and hairstyle mean more about association than they do about culture. This I believe is where the school is basing its decision. Another thing, while "naturals" have been around for centuries. There was a period in recent history known as the 70's when an afro or natural was the cool and trendy thing to do I.e. a fad.
September 10, 2013 08:24AM
Afros are still cool.. And who cares if its a Black run school?? It's In the USA right?? the point is they are hurting culture rather than embracing it
September 10, 2013 08:49AM
east bay herbalist
EvanCR
It depends on where your at. In the bay area "dreads" are a very faddish hairstyle. Over the years "dreads" have become part of the "gangster" uniform and are worn for fasion and trend. Again, I'm not saying it isn't prejudice or discriminatory, because it is, but the fact remains at a youth level clothing and hairstyle mean more about association than they do about culture. This I believe is where the school is basing its decision. Another thing, while "naturals" have been around for centuries. There was a period in recent history known as the 70's when an afro or natural was the cool and trendy thing to do I.e. a fad.

I hardly think a 7 year old girl was going for Gangsta. In the late 60's the Natural became the Afro and had socio-political meaning for many, while others simply followed fashion. I guess recent is a relative term. Perhaps the school and its students would be better served by teaching cultural sensitivity instead of policing pre-pubescent fashions. Let's not even discuss the freedom of religion and separation of church and state, should the child / parents claim Rastafari.
September 10, 2013 09:15AM
I am sure the school admin didn't make up their rules to discriminate against anyone. As a rule, the rules (as rules generally are) are for the good of the majority. Same type of thinking that causes some schools to require uniforms, ban "gang-related" clothing , revealing or inappropriate clothing, guns & knives, on and on. The school is trying to create an environment for the students where their education is the focus, not how cool you are.
September 10, 2013 09:25AM
Maybe all the schools in the US should be more like North Korea
September 10, 2013 09:51AM
EvanCR
east bay herbalist
EvanCR

I hardly think a 7 year old girl was going for Gangsta. In the late 60's the Natural became the Afro and had socio-political meaning for many, while others simply followed fashion. I guess recent is a relative term. Perhaps the school and its students would be better served by teaching cultural sensitivity instead of policing pre-pubescent fashions. Let's not even discuss the freedom of religion and separation of church and state, should the child / parents claim Rastafari.
I hardly think the girl was going for gangsta either, but the fact remains there is a policy in place that the parents agreed to. If they want their child to have freedom of expression then they should enroll their child in a school that focuses on that instead of the school they put her in. Now yes, should the parents be Rasta this is a different issue all together, but they are not, the father admitted this was a fashion thing and therefore broke the dress code when he sent his kid to school with a banned hairstyle.
September 10, 2013 09:52AM
iriebarto
Maybe all the schools in the US should be more like North Korea

Maybe, Koreans are wicked smart and have incredible work ethics. smoking smiley
September 12, 2013 05:04PM
September 13, 2013 08:20AM
September 13, 2013 10:23AM
Give thanks Ras Adam for the update. Im glad the School Admin. Recognized their error and corrected it, although I feel an apology is in order.
September 13, 2013 11:05AM
September 13, 2013 11:14AM
Hahah
September 13, 2013 12:50PM
zoki

So I guess ALL humans are Black or White?

September 13, 2013 01:02PM
Collie4Nyah
zoki

So I guess ALL humans are Black or White?

that's not cool...that's damn SEXY
September 13, 2013 01:29PM
Very true
September 13, 2013 03:46PM
Tell a brown girl she's pretty, dreadlocks and all.... - Yaba Blay

[www.cnn.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2013 04:10PM by J_72.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login