Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mikal Rose with Sly and Robbie

Posted by westafari 
Mikal Rose with Sly and Robbie
September 16, 2013 09:15PM
Mikal Rose is playing with the international Sly and Robbie this Friday at Yoshi's in SF. I know MR usually always plays the same set (shine eye gal, bull in the pen, general penetentury, etc) but the last time I saw him play with Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare was at ROTR 1998. Sly and Robbie are the best band members that Black Uhuru has ever had. The new band with Andrew Bees and Ducky Simpson is decent, not great. I am really looking forward to this show.

Is anyone else going to this show. Let's get a drink before and hang out.

-Westafari
Re: Mikal Rose with Sly and Robbie
September 16, 2013 09:19PM
2002 not 1998
September 16, 2013 10:36PM
Collie, you are so right. I was that far off. Wow. It has been way too long. Thanks for clarifying.
September 18, 2013 07:41PM
I'm a big fan, sad to say I won't be around to see it. That's my push for SNWMF 2014. I know he's not high on most boardies list, but he is a great artis & performer. I saw his show out in Truckee the weekend after Snwmf. 2013 and he was on point. He had the crowd on their feet. For me he's a great festival performer. My family has grown the last few years and its almost impossible for me to catch shows now. Festivals have been the only way for me to take the family and enjoy some great music. I appreciate the music and the shows more and more when I go. If I have seen artist a hand full of times or a couple of dozen times I happy to catch any shows now. Forward M. Rose and Sly and Ronnie........p.s. Mr. ROSE has been a big inspiration to me that I have a 4 week old baby girl I named Mykala because I hold his music close to my heart. BIG UP REGGAE MASSIVE.
September 18, 2013 08:12PM
Big Up Mykal Roze every time! bMassive inspiration to all who love conscious roots reggae he is more than a living legend he is a living foundation as well as Sly and Robbie True Reggae Ambassadors and Innovators and holders of the musical torch...We must give Thanks to JAH for all singers and players of instruments " your springs are in thee"
September 21, 2013 01:15AM
westafari
Collie, you are so right. I was that far off. Wow. It has been way too long. Thanks for clarifying.

Lookin forward to yrs from now, when ppl will say, "Remember that Sly and Robbie Mykal Roze show at Yoshi's in 2009?"

LOL
September 21, 2013 02:34AM
Come on????
September 21, 2013 05:10AM
Place is packed, and so far it's jus the line to get in!
One of the girls at the ticket counter told me they sold out....
September 21, 2013 03:00PM
Tonight at Moes Alley in Santa Cruz
September 21, 2013 04:54PM
Redeye
Tonight at Moes Alley in Santa Cruz

thumbs up

Tonight's show will also sell out, if it hasn't already...
September 21, 2013 05:16PM
Last nights show was wack. That venue sucks big time. Worst venue in SF. 40 a ticket. One ticket person to get in, one bar tender for 300 people. He only played for 60 min. No encore. Didn't play past 11.45 on a Friday.

The sound was nice, that was it.

I'm loosing respect for these SF reggae shows by the day.
September 21, 2013 06:21PM
While those are all valid beefs, I injoyed I Self still
September 22, 2013 02:43PM
Short show, with a bit too much Fenton and the Reggaae Angels for my taste, but wicked still. Mr. Rose never sounded better, IMO. His comfort level and onstage link with Sly and Robbie was obvious. Wish they did an encore, though.
September 22, 2013 03:06PM
Jahsprey
with a bit too much Fenton and the Reggaae Angels for my taste

Noooooooooo, you're kidding right, you mean to tell me Fenton played a long long long set? confused smiley

I could never understand why Fenton doesn't figure it out himself that playing those incredibly long and excruciating sets drives most people mad.

Has anyone in the concert industry ever told him, 'Fenton, stop, one hour of your music is enough. Actually, 45 minutes is enough.'

Why do I get the feeling he wouldn't listen - even if someone did give him this valuable advice.
September 22, 2013 03:33PM
No real disrespect to the man Fenton. He works hard, and makes a lot of live reggae happen. But when you show up for M. Rose with Sly and Robbie, you want every minute to count. And with an early end, sans encore, I felt a bit short-changed....
September 22, 2013 05:09PM
At Moe's it was Militia of Love who opened. How was that show? Someone here must've gone, it was completely sold out. Got a chance to talk to Sly a bit before the show, he was in a good mood.
September 23, 2013 03:18PM
We were blessed with an amazing show in SLO Town last Thursday night! Was bummed when I knew Fenton was going to perform, especially since the venue typically has an 11PM curfew. Luckily, he kept it to only a few tunes and the venue waived the curfew that night and let Mykal Rose play til 1AM. Got to visit with Sly before sound check and what an honor, wow! They brought it that night and it will go down as one of the best shows in SLO Town's history!!!

The support act, Boombala, is an up and coming band from SLO and it was a pleasure to finally catch the last few tunes of their set. Most definitely a band to look forward to in the future.

Mikey J.
September 23, 2013 07:00PM
The show was way too short for 39 bucks.
September 24, 2013 02:13AM
LOL @ the Fenton comments
September 24, 2013 04:14AM
Big respect to Sly and Robbie, from a conco had with Sly it seems like they only come out for "TRUE" encores. Not pre planned canned anthems.
September 25, 2013 05:50PM
papajoshua
Big respect to Sly and Robbie, from a conco had with Sly it seems like they only come out for "TRUE" encores. Not pre planned canned anthems.

Wi were applauding and screaming for an encore for 20-30mins

They are playing the Belly up in solana Beach tomorrow night....

September 25, 2013 05:55PM
September 25, 2013 06:00PM
September 25, 2013 09:35PM
Yeah, that was a legit encore rally, they could have come out for 1 more, madd sell out. Pretty cool show, lucky to get a ticket, I didnt think I was going to get in. There was some feedback off the mic in the begining and they got it dialed in and sounding pretty sweet. All good in the paradise city with those heavy hitters, give thanks. PAPER DAWG refix w/ the backup singers, udunnow
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login