Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

GREAT TRIBULATION: The Life & Times of Hugh Mundell

Posted by ras2thebone 
GREAT TRIBULATION: The Life & Times of Hugh Mundell
October 01, 2013 07:21PM
[midnightraverblog.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2013 07:21PM by ras2thebone.
jps
Re: GREAT TRIBULATION: The Life & Times of Hugh Mundell
October 01, 2013 09:15PM
Thanks for sharing this.
October 02, 2013 12:52AM
yes give thanks*
forward
October 02, 2013 05:43AM
Thanks for sharing this. I saw Hugh perform in the Bay Area in Dec. 1981. When I saw Chronixx perform at ROTR I couldn't believe how much he reminded me of Hugh. I told him so and he was very moved by the comparison.
October 04, 2013 12:11PM
I too see a parallel between Chronixx and Mundell. Not only do they have similar voices, but I don't think I have seen this much hype around a young, emerging Jamaican roots artist since Mundell. Maybe Junior Reid? The hype surrounding Chronixx will make it very difficult for him I believe. I hope he is able to navigate these waters prudently.
October 04, 2013 10:42PM
Just added to the article my interview with Shanachie Records chief Randall Grass regarding the Blackman's Foundation LP:

In 1988, the Shanachie record label out of Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey issued the posthumous Blackman’s Foundation album, which includes five tracks from Time and Place (1981) along with an additional four cuts from the same period. Composed primarily of tracks produced by Augustus Pablo, the riddims are solid and the track list includes a handful of Pablo’s best-loved Rockers-style arrangements.

I spoke with label chief Randall Grass about the album and how it all came together:

“My memory is a bit hazy, but as I remember, Hugh came to us through Augustus Pablo. Pablo might have even brought Hugh to our office around 1982, but I’m not sure about that. I think we were being presented with Hugh’s Time And Place album to license…and we felt it needed a couple more tracks. We retitled it because it had been out already. Hugh was kind of at his height at that point because of the success of Africa Must Be Free By 1983 a couple years earlier so he was getting bookings for shows in the U.S. and I think was staying on the West Coast for awhile. But by the time we brought out Blackman’s Foundation, the first wave of excitement for roots reggae was waning, dancehall was taking off and it sold only modestly.

Hugh called us about putting out a new album. The music was strong but we felt the market was too weak and I had to tell him that we weren’t interested. I felt bad about that. Hugh had taken me around when I first came to Kingston the year before, even bringing Yabby You to me when I remarked on how much I wanted to meet him (that resulted in us putting out Yabby’s One Heart One Love collection). In fact, when Hugh was driving me around, the other people in the car were his girlfriend and Jr. Reid, at that time an unknown. I remember Jr. Reid saying to me ‘I can sing too!’ as we rode in the back of Hugh’s car. Not long after all this we got a call from Pablo….he said ‘dem shot Mundell!’ And that’s when we heard the terrible circumstances of Hugh’s death.”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login