Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Double Trouble Riddim Juggling

Posted by Dr Suess 
Double Trouble Riddim Juggling
October 12, 2013 07:23PM

Computer Paul presents another of his long awaited classic dancehall jugglings, and from the stellar lineup which features some of the biggest names in reggae including Everton Blender, Terry Linen, Glen Washington, The Mighty Diamonds, Stevie Face, Lukie D, Hezron, Steele, Junior X, and Culture T Feat Bobby Crystal, it is evident that this jugglin will be a must have and is guaranteed to be a treat for reggae fans, selectors and DJ's from Kingston to New Zealand.

Available on all your online outlets on Oct 12, 2013. "The dance nice again"

** Watch out for more new tunes from Computer Paul coming this fall, including the long awaited album from Stevie Face titled "Journey"
Re: Double Trouble Riddim Juggling
October 13, 2013 08:40AM
big! thanks James!

'double trouble' is of course the circa-1991 steely & cleevie update to 'cuss cuss' which supported a handful of big tunes, best among them the beres hammond title smash. i have good set of these original singles, maybe 4-5 of the 7s and one or two of the 12s... the tony rebel is bad too all of the others kind of fell into the shade of beres giant.

i will always love this tune for a memory -- i'd just landed in miami (on reggae business), rented a car, and had gotten on I-95. was a perfect day, travels went well, and i was glad to be doing what i was doing. as i got on 95 and into the flow of traffic i reached down and turned the radio on. it was the beres song. i was sure someone had left a cd in the car so i changed radio stations, and then changed back... but it was beres on the airwaves. immediately. have to love miami. i was pushing the volume in that car the whole time i was there.

as for this... computer paul is such an ace. so glad to see some real music, and K VIBES IN THE MIX NO LESS!

steele, hezron, linen... great lineup of talent. BOOT CAMP!
October 31, 2013 11:23AM
November 01, 2013 01:05PM
5 people in a row singing over the same rhythm is a pretty terrible product in my opinion.

It may start out good, but gets staler and staler

Do people honestly like this format, or are they just buying into it cause some DJ with a cool name is selling it?

sorry if this comes off offensive and dick-ish, i just dont get it.
November 01, 2013 04:24PM
All a matter of opinion Treez. Love it or hate it can't deny the riddim juggling is a huge part of the culture of Jamaican music and most likely will be for many years to come.

Personally, I like a well done riddim set.
November 03, 2013 01:05PM
Love the concept of the original riddum but Beres really pushing the whole thing over the top with Double Trouble. IMO dont care for the updated lick. 5 artists on 1 riddum is nice, essential for good reggae radio or a classic dancehall session! 25 however is a hot mess I hope those days of double juggling lps are over.
November 04, 2013 10:41AM
been curious about this for some time, in this business of "riddum juggling," how do artists (both producers of a rhythm and vocalists) get compensated for their work?

do the producers of rhythms sell the rights to voice their rhythms to vocalists? Or, does a producer partner with vocalists and get a share of sales? Or, (what I'm guessing often takes place) vocalists simply find the hottest riddum, voice it, and run it without compensating the original producer/musicians...

business-wise, the model seems very messy anyway you slice it. and invokes a whole discussion about copyright laws that's been hashed out in the hip-hop community. especially since a lot of these riddums are re-tread and sampled from old music. don't really wanna get into that here, just curious about the reality of the situation in jamaica....
November 04, 2013 10:55AM
treez
been curious about this for some time, in this business of "riddum juggling," how do artists (both producers of a rhythm and vocalists) get compensated for their work?

do the producers of rhythms sell the rights to voice their rhythms to vocalists? Or, does a producer partner with vocalists and get a share of sales? Or, (what I'm guessing often takes place) vocalists simply find the hottest riddum, voice it, and run it without compensating the original producer/musicians...

business-wise, the model seems very messy anyway you slice it. and invokes a whole discussion about copyright laws that's been hashed out in the hip-hop community. especially since a lot of these riddums are re-tread and sampled from old music. don't really wanna get into that here, just curious about the reality of the situation in jamaica....

The arrangement can differ a lot depending on the artist/producer relationship... but here is the most typical scenerio:

producer builds riddim... Either digitially or with live musicians. Once riddim is built, producer approaches artist (or artist hears producer has a new riddim and approaches them). Some up front deal is worked out ranging from a "lunch money" to big money depending on who the artist is, who the producer is, etc... After the tune is recorded, sales typically go to the producer who puts out the product, while publishing is split between the artist (or whoever wrote the lyrics for the artist) and the writers of the music.

It's pretty rare to see an artist just jump on a riddim without the producer or musicians benefitting. You really only see this with young, unestablished artists who just voice the hot riddims of the day and put them on the street/youtube to try to build a name for themselves, not as a money-making venture
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login