Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Aswad

Posted by J_72 
Aswad
October 15, 2013 11:03PM
Are they touring? Have they ever toured the US that much? I tried looking for info, and ended up with a latest release in 2009.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2013 11:31PM by J_72.
Re: Aswad
October 15, 2013 11:13PM
they played at the river a few years back on sunday....
sounded extra good that night..... lots of live dubbing.....
i'd vote for them to play inna boomville....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
October 15, 2013 11:51PM
Brinsley Forde released Urban Jungle this year. Review at United Reggae

October 15, 2013 11:56PM
Thanks higrade and Evan. Aswad was a defining band in my reggae upbringing. Aswad for SNWMF would be treat for sure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2013 01:24PM by J_72.
AJ
October 16, 2013 12:46PM
J_72
Are they touring? Have they ever toured the US that much? I tried looking for info, and ended up with a latest release in 2009.

Jeff ~ Here's what I know as far as touring in the U.S.A. ~ They played Los Angeles three times from 1984-1988. Also Aswad was on the Reggae Sunsplash U.S.A. tours a couples of times in the early to mid 90's.
I really enjoyed all these shows and had hope to catch Aswad live again someday. Curious about their current line up?
One of my favorite Aswad lps was "Rebel Soul" from 1984. thumbs up
Aswad ~ SNWMF 2014 ~ smiling smiley
October 16, 2013 01:51PM
they played Rebel Salute this year but kind of flopped. Had trouble connecting with the JA crowd as they mostly played songs the majority of the crowd didn't know, aside from "Don't turn around." Could see them doing well on a US show though
October 16, 2013 02:29PM

Could see them doing well on a US show though

They used to do pretty well out here back in the day. Took my friend Mark to his first reggae show back in the early 80s - Aswad at the Fillmore and he's liked reggae ever since.

Aswad used to be great back in the day when they had Donald Griffiths, George Oban, and Courtney Hemmings in the band. Hemmings left after their debut (self-titled) album. Oban and Griffiths stayed on board for a few more albums (Hulet, Showcase). Then the band began bubbling towards the rub-a-dub sounds in the mid 80s. I confess I enjoyed tunes like "Pull Up" and "Gimme The Dub," but then the band took a turn in the direction of 'pop' reggae. And, imo, the band has never been the same since the departure of Brinsley Forde in the mid 90s.

This is the only Aswad song from the past 25 years that I really love:

I'm not a big fan of "live" reggae albums and can only thing of about 4 that I've actually played on a regular basis, and Aswad are responsible for two of them - Aswad's "Live & Direct" and Burning Spear's "Live" (the white album cover) which also features all the aforementioned original Aswad members.

As previously mentioned, Brinsley has a new album out that is getting plenty of spins from me. At this point I would much rather see Brinsley Forde perform inna Boonville (perhaps backed by his good friend Dennis Bovell) than what remains of Aswad....
October 16, 2013 04:23PM
Aswad was a definitive influence on the UK roots sound & before they went 'pop', they released a string of killer, very underrated albums in the 70's and early 80's.. solid players too.. I'm not sure what the current lineup is like but its hard for me to imagine them without the sound of departed singer Brinsley Forde... 'New Chapter Of Dub' is one of the greatest dub albums ever made IMO....

Tip:

1976: Aswad - Mango Records
1978: Hulet - Mango Records
1981: New Chapter - Columbia Records
1981: Showcase - Mango Records
1982: A New Chapter of Dub - Mango Records
1982: Not Satisfied - Columbia Records
1983: Live and Direct - Island Records
1984: Rebel Souls - Island Records
October 16, 2013 04:27PM
!!!

October 16, 2013 04:31PM
Warrior Charge - CLASSIC TUNE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2013 08:08PM by FLEXIMIX.
October 16, 2013 04:32PM
B O O O O M

October 16, 2013 04:34PM
HiGrade1
they played at the river a few years back on sunday....
sounded extra good that night..... lots of live dubbing.....
i'd vote for them to play inna boomville....

I remember that set. I think it was 2009. Great time, the crowd really was feeling it
October 16, 2013 05:43PM
Gladiators Live in Paris is a crucial live recording.....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
October 16, 2013 10:34PM
Warrior Style

October 23, 2013 07:20AM
Aswad and Steel Pulse got alot of attention in the 80's. It wasn't until I heard New Chapter of Dub that I became somewhat interested in Aswad. I tried to convince myself, before I actually listened to 'Aswad' Hulet' and 'Showcase' , that those would be 'essential' releases, similar to Pulse' Sound System , Tribute, and Earth Crisis. However, it was a lack of available quality material that prevented me from getting fully plugged into groups like The Cimarons, Misty In Roots, Black Roots, and Knowledge. I did catch Aswad in New Orleans in 1992 as part of the Sunsplash tour and they killed it-it left me wondering how a group that sounded that good live could never really deliver more consistent studio material.

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login