Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reggae Revival for SNWMF

Posted by Sista Irie 
Reggae Revival for SNWMF
October 17, 2013 11:31AM
I have spent the last year and half witnessing in Jamaica, Europe and the US the emergence of many young wonderful rising reggae stars from Jamaica known as the Reggae Revival. There is so much talent there, I want to propose SNWMF dedicate a four to six hour slot to a selection of these artists. One can pick from Chronixx, Protoje, Jesse Royal, Kelissa McDonald, Jah 9, Keznamdi, Kabaka Pyramid, Micah Shemiah, Iba Mahr, Romain Virgo, Tarrus Riley (yes, Tarris is included- many more artists), bands like Pentateuch, Raging Fyah, and more. Yaardcore could even select one night in the dancehall.
Re: Reggae Revival for SNWMF
October 17, 2013 11:33AM
Great suggestion!
October 17, 2013 11:48AM
Totally behind this suggestion...let's make it happen!
October 17, 2013 11:56AM
Agreed. 100%
October 17, 2013 01:31PM
"Reggae Revival"?!?!? who came up with this term?! sounds like some marketing department shenanigans....

--------------------------------------
FullWatts on your stereo...™
October 17, 2013 01:49PM
I've read the term 'reggae revival' in many online and printed articles over the past year in their reviews of many of the artists and bands that Sista Irie stated above.
October 17, 2013 04:21PM
Yes! Please make this happened. It would be awesome. All those artist mentioned above are making really good reggae music. I say Protoje, Chronixx, Kabaka Pyramid, and Jah9. They have a lot of music together, so it would be great to see them all together in one stage.
October 17, 2013 04:39PM
Booooom!! Would love to see this happen
October 17, 2013 04:45PM
Reggae Revival is far from a marketing term. It is a movement, to me, much like the musical revolution of the seventies. The Reggae Revival is a growing group of artists, not just singers and players. It includes graphic artists, photographers, videographers, etc who work as a collective to bring conscious music back to the youth and the world. Many of these artists studied at Edna Manley College and are professionally trained (i.e. Protoje) and have the collective influence and power to try to get the youth of Jamaica back on track. They have made MAJOR inroads. They don't care if you refer to them as the Reggae Revival or not. They care about the purpose and outcome. Dutty Bookman, Rasta author of Tried and True, is writing a next book called Reggae Revival and the term came from him.

I have witnessed over the past year the performances of many of these artists in Jamaica, Europe and USA. They are not just performers, they are heavy thinkers and through their interviews, song lyrics and dedication to the mission, they are making major inroads in the way reggae is viewed across the world.

Reggae Revival also does not imply that reggae was ever dead. What they bring to the world is a 'collective' working together instead of individually to turn the tide on the negative culture that has become prevalent in Jamaica.

The last thing I will say is THEY ARE TALENTED....right now, I can't get enough of Kelissa McDonald who tours and opens for CHronixx. Her brother is Keznamdi. Check out Kelissa's song Africa and Babylon is Burning. WIKKED!!!! I believe she will be a radio guest on my show this Sunday.
October 17, 2013 05:09PM
Very well said Sista Irie, and great suggestion indeed. This movement of artists (musical, visual, and literary) has been growing for about 5 years now inside Jamaica and is about to explode globally. It does not matter what you want to call it or not call it. The Europeans have already tasted and embraced the movement, so I say to the USA "Welome The Rasta Youths"

REGGAE REVIVAL HITS EUROPE

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2013 05:28PM by lloydstanbury.
October 17, 2013 05:31PM

PROTOJE I&I - Here Come The Rasta Youths
October 17, 2013 05:37PM

CHRONIXX - Welcome the Rasta Youths
October 17, 2013 05:37PM
hmmm. interesting..... thanks for the additional info Sista Irie.... i'm not unaware of those under this newly coined umbrella, just think the phrase is pretty over the top in it's claim... but if as you say, the artists themselves are not using that term, then it's just a term for journalists to use to hype the new batch of talent under a common moniker....

October 17, 2013 05:43PM

KABAKA PYRAMID - Rasta Youths spreading it worlwide
October 17, 2013 05:47PM
A close examination of what has transpired in music production and promotion inside Jamaica over the past 15 to 20 years would clearly demonstrate that there is absolutely nothing at all that is "over the top" about the claim that Jamaica is experiencing a revival, resurgence, or whatever you may want to call it, of Rasta Reggae music. Many of the artists identified in the movement accept the term "Reggae Revival" and openly identify with it. The point I think Sista Irie is making, is that there is a real movement taking place, and many persons, artists included, regard it as a revival of roots Reggae music coming from inside Jamaica.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/17/2013 05:53PM by lloydstanbury.
October 17, 2013 07:24PM
Higrade: you are part of said "revival", remember that both Protoje and Yaadcore asked that the flyers you designed be both titled and themed as "Reggae Revival"

Even though I have very mixed feelings regarding some of the artists listed I am very excited that more of this type of music is being played in JA and because of that Abroad...

FORWARD!!!

Respect Same Way
October 17, 2013 08:36PM
I've posted this before, but to me this is just an incredible example of some of the the talent involved, just really great stuff as far as current musical collaborations are concerned (music starts about a half minute into video):

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
* [www.shocksofsheba.podomatic.com]
October 17, 2013 08:51PM
Sista Irie - great suggestion.
October 17, 2013 09:53PM
i hear ya on the points being made.... i guess after years of working in the advertising industry i am very skeptical of these types of things and the labels given to new things (a "movement" in this case)..... like i said, if it is a case where others identify as being part of the "revival" vs. some artist claiming "they are" part of it..... then i see whats up and why the term is used....

October 18, 2013 10:27AM
Hi Grade, there is nothing wrong with being cynical and remaining observant. My middle name should be cynical and quite frankly most marketing efforts I abhor.

You will probably have to experience for yourself over time what is going on because it is not easy to describe. What I most compare it with is the community of young people who converged in the sixties to stop the Viet Nam War and to fight for Civil and Women's rights. The way we all came together to discuss politics, strategies, creating a clear mission and we even had a musical component that accompanied the social activism. That feeling of the seventies, the dedication to make the world, especially your own back yard a better place, is what I feel from these artists.

I have personally observed the thinking and reasoning of Protoje from his own yard in Jamaica and came away feeling like I had been in the midst of a greater power. Trust me, these young people are very intellectual and use their talent to move the marble. Jamaica as a country has little to no impact on improving the ghetto mentality. These rising artists are setting a new example not just through their music but through their forward thinking. They are talented, educated, innovative and dedicated to improve the world.

I suggest for anyone not very familiar to start reading interviews (there is a good one on Youtube with Kelissa and Chronixx) where they discuss their goals and ambitions. Protoje tells people- dont get caught up with the name of the movement. Get caught up in its mission.

Blessings to all!
October 18, 2013 11:13AM
boom mk*

heavyweight as always~big love
October 18, 2013 12:19PM
Yeah....MK wikked video!

Look out for the launch of Island Stage Magazine in January. Protoje on the cover and a nice article on the Reggae Revival. I will write an article about Dutty Bookman's book Tried and True and his work with RR.

photo by Sista Irie

October 18, 2013 02:09PM
October 18, 2013 02:55PM
this is just a magnificent photograph, sis!

reminds me very much of some photos of HIM...

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
October 18, 2013 03:13PM
Heartical love and thanks, Mosquito Killer.

The original is almost full figured and absolutely has a saintly vibe to it. Oje (Protoje) has so many visual characteristics. He can seem almost nerdy cool, revolutionary or in this case, mystical.

Ahhhh....don't we all just love reggae and all the discussions it generates. Bless you all.
October 18, 2013 04:17PM
Protoje sure comes from a talented family. His mother (and manager) is none other than Ms. "Breakfast in Bed" Lorna Bennett, a terrific singer who studied law during her musical career and has been practicing law since the mid-'70s. She still occasionally performs and writes songs. His father, Michael Ollivierre, also known as 'Lord Have Mercy,' is a former Calypso King in Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. His cousin is well-known Jamaican producer Donovan “Don Corleone” Bennett, with whom Protoje helped run a soundsystem. Oje cites Hugh Mundell as one of his vocal influences. Can't go too far wrong with that.
October 19, 2013 08:06AM
October 19, 2013 08:54AM
October 19, 2013 09:26AM
This WOULD be a potent evening of music, and one pointing to the future.
October 19, 2013 02:35PM
such a showcase would certainly be enough to make me fly from Guam to see

Jah Son
October 19, 2013 03:22PM
couple years ago the aggrolites were calling their stuff "revival reggae" to break away from skinhead reggae labels or whatever....

good description when used either way and long over due. amazing what a live band of talented musicians and a vocalist with a chops can do especially with a message the people can receive.

anyone had Drakes Denogginizer?? whoooooo hooooooo
October 21, 2013 11:42AM
Here is the Reggae Revival website -

"Reggae Revival is a cultural movement of rising consciousness originating in Jamaica. It is an explosion of artistic expressions with music at the forefront, gradually influencing the mentality of the present generation toward positivity, Afrocentric spirituality and self-determination all over the world."

http://reggae-revival.com/

I would love to see a reggae revival set at SNWMF with Zinc Fence or Indigination backing, don't forget Dre Island.

Positive Vibrations w/ DJ Treez | Tahoe's Reggae Show | Thursday Nights 9pm | 101.5 FM KTKE | truckeetahoeradio.com
October 22, 2013 04:52AM
I will write magazine articles in advance to support a day of Reggae Revival music at SNWMF. So count me in if it happens!
October 22, 2013 07:03AM

The Reggae Revival is a growing group of artists, not just singers and players. It includes graphic artists, photographers, videographers, etc who work as a collective to bring conscious music back to the youth and the world.

I had always 'presumed' that Reggae Revival was just a term associated with the latest crop of upcoming roots artists (something which has been periodically happening in reggae music for decades now. But your post seems to suggest much more than that so I would be most interested to learn more about how these artists "work as a collective" Sis.....
October 22, 2013 12:34PM

I say... Some Never Plant yet want to Reap,
Be careful, try to look before you leap;
Took a little walk from my Vineyard...
Now I'm all alone..
October 22, 2013 02:55PM
sis irie--niceness here, and wanted to share: [www.bloodandfire.co.uk]

m.

* [www.kboo.fm]
October 22, 2013 06:49PM
Greetings Daniel, I am hoping Lloyd will add to my response since he is the reason I first came to know Protoje at SXSW.... and as time went on, I have been spending time closely observing the works of many other members of the movement. He was my introduction to these artists and since that time, I have been interacting and supporting their work to the best of my ability.

When I say a collective, I would describe the Reggae Revival as a progressive group of talented artists who consistently and visibly demonstrate support for each other by enhancing each other's works through whatever artistic talent they have. They participate in each other's videos, often bring each other on stage, call out each other's works publicly, and use their innovative creativity whether it is writing, video, photography, poster art, etc. to increase and enhance recognition of the message. Their mission is to bring a conscious awareness back to the island and globally especially by inspiring other youth to lead a more positive life. They are deep thinkers who spend alot of time with each other reasoning and sharing their talents in ways that further supports the collective movement. It is the integration of their works and constant support of each other in every way possible that makes this different than those artists of the past.

To get a good understanding of some of those who are not performers, check out Dutty Bookman, the book author, and El Puru, photographer/videographer. They are both on Facebook and contribute a great deal along with other non-musical artists and administrators who support the music artists. Donisha Pendergrast is a video producer and educator and Taj Francis are all names associated with the Reggae Revival and through their works, you will easily see how integrated all of these efforts are.

It is important to keep in mind that this is not a formal organization. There is an Arts and Culture non-profit organization for youth development and empowerment called ManifestoJamaica and several of these artists are members.
October 22, 2013 07:14PM
Daniel, as Sista Irie says, the term Reggae Revival has been used to describe what has been observed as a movement of young artists of various disciplines working on a common cause to empower, uplift and build awareness while supporting each others creative works. Many of the persons identified as part of this movement are literary and visual artists, such as writers, photographers, videographers, graphic artists, as well as administrators and publicists. Many are graduates of the Edna Manley College of the Visual and Performing Arts in Kingston, where their bonds of friendship were sealed. As far as I know, the Reggae Revival is not a formal organization. There is however an official website and an official Facebook page:

REGGAE REVIVAL OFFICIAL WEBSITE

REGGAE REVIVAL OFFICIAL FACEBOOK PAGE
October 23, 2013 09:43AM
In looking over the roster of artists that have appeared at this festival over the past 12 years, one could easily say that the "Reggae Revival" has already been in full effect at SNWMF. Below are just a sampling of the "emerging" artists that have performed at this festival. Granted, not all of them are Jamaican. Some are not even reggae and some have not gone on to be 'stars' but they ARE evidence that this festival has been livicated to bringing fresh new roots music to the people for a long time now (to say nothing about all the 'living legends of reggae' that California may never have had the opportunity to see were it not for SNWMF).

I would be FULLY SUPPORTIVE of seeing a slew of the new artists mentioned in this thread. The problem, as I see it, is that the price of such a showcase would have to correspond to the 'draw' they would have, but if they came 'correct' (price wise) like the "V.I. Roots Eruption" did in 2005, it could easily come to fruition....

2001:
Bushman
Ozomatli

2002:
Abijah
Midnite
Groundation

2003:
Warrior King

2004:
Dezarie
Gentleman
Sabbattical Ahdah

2005:
Queen Omega
Richie Spice
Lutan Fyah
Natty King
Pressure
Batch
Bambu Station
Ras Attitude
Army
Iba
SOJA

2006:
Inner Visions
Luna Angel
Alika
Fantan Mojah
Neutral Sisters
Mishka

2007:
Fire Passion
Mark Wonder
Chezidek
Niyorah
Abja
Mada Nile
Volcano

2008:
Rootz Underground
Taj Weekes

2009:
Rusty Zinn
Cherine Anderson
Etana

2010:
Messenjah Selah
Jahdan Blakkamore
Queen Makedah

2011:
Romain Virgo
Saritah
Kora

2012:
iKronik
House of Shem

2013:
Protoje
Windy City
Danakil
Hollie Cook
October 23, 2013 01:48PM
Ahhhh....Daniel, you hit the nail right on the head. Everything you said is exactly why SNWMF is the perfect USA festival to be first to promote a slate of artists from this movement. The festivals in Europe are already all over it and several of these artists are already booked for Rebel Salute. SNWMF is a premier top notch, well organized, well run festival focused on new movement in the industry and adds the perfect compliment by including legendary foundation acts. That same formula is perfect for a group of RR artists. The only difference I can land on is in this case it is a slate of performers (small slate or large slate) who work in unity enhancing each other's work directly and are on the ground floor in Jamaica revitalizing a broken industry.

[jamaica-gleaner.com]

[jamaica-gleaner.com]

[www.rototomsunsplash.com]
October 23, 2013 04:32PM
The movement being described as the Reggae Revival is a Jamaican phenomenon that is now spreading and being recognized globally. Anyone with an interest in the advancement and preservation of Roots Reggae from Jamaica should either try to visit Jamaica for some first hand exposure, or do some research on what has been happening musically and culturally on the island for the past 15-20 years, and what is happening today.
October 25, 2013 06:59AM
October 31, 2013 11:02AM
December 20, 2013 03:57AM
December 20, 2013 07:10AM
I particularly like this portion of the duttyism page you linked to Ras Adam (thought I would suggest it is a day-to-day thing and not just something for reggae in 2014):

"In 2014 people will have to decide whether or not they will be honest with themselves; and whether or not they will share the energy of love with their fellow human beings. I dare say that there will be no Reggae Revival to talk about in 2015 if we don’t encourage each other in this way. I am most excited to see who are the real revolutionaries and how we will move forward." ~ Dutty Bookman
December 20, 2013 12:49PM
Im right in there with you Sista. This past summer was better muscally than many others preceding it. I got to see nuff "revival" artists, Protoje, Yardcore, Jesse Royal, Kelissa McDonald, Keznamdi, Iba Mahr.........most notably with a bullet Kabaka and Chronixx at ROTR.

Daniel, Great Quote post as well.

As a total hardcore dancehall fan, its a fresh breath of air to see the youth gravitate toward more positive and uplifint music. Undoubtably with folks like Buju and Vybez incarcerated, there is a void of what I would call "quality" dancehall music right now, with exception of folks like Busy Signal. The revival has definately been a welcom and refreshing movement. HiGrade, give it a listen, IMO we are not looking at a marketing fad ting here.
December 20, 2013 01:37PM
somewhere out there Ninja smiles wide.
December 20, 2013 03:34PM
Fully endorsed by Blessed Coast.

However, as we have said before, we just have to be careful about grouping these artists together because then promoters want a "group" price for them when they all deserve their own food.
December 20, 2013 11:43PM
Yes no doubt everyone needs to eat and at the same time the people want more for the big money we shell.. Don't get me wrong, I just think more shows should have more than a big name or 2.. I'd be willing to fork over money for a quality showcase.. I think too many fillers get thrown in to make up a concert around here.. Even when gappy ranks and bobby hustle came around I was super stoked.. And that was a cheap show!!! Respect all around just saying we should all work together so everyone is happy
March 27, 2014 05:08AM
April 01, 2014 08:06PM
i like this thread most...Sista Irie, you a good good Lady.
April 02, 2014 05:11AM
Sista Irie
Reggae Revival is far from a marketing term. It is a movement, to me, much like the musical revolution of the seventies. The Reggae Revival is a growing group of artists, not just singers and players. It includes graphic artists, photographers, videographers, etc who work as a collective to bring conscious music back to the youth and the world. Many of these artists studied at Edna Manley College and are professionally trained (i.e. Protoje) and have the collective influence and power to try to get the youth of Jamaica back on track. They have made MAJOR inroads. They don't care if you refer to them as the Reggae Revival or not. They care about the purpose and outcome. Dutty Bookman, Rasta author of Tried and True, is writing a next book called Reggae Revival and the term came from him.

I have witnessed over the past year the performances of many of these artists in Jamaica, Europe and USA. They are not just performers, they are heavy thinkers and through their interviews, song lyrics and dedication to the mission, they are making major inroads in the way reggae is viewed across the world.

Reggae Revival also does not imply that reggae was ever dead. What they bring to the world is a 'collective' working together instead of individually to turn the tide on the negative culture that has become prevalent in Jamaica.

The last thing I will say is THEY ARE TALENTED....right now, I can't get enough of Kelissa McDonald who tours and opens for CHronixx. Her brother is Keznamdi. Check out Kelissa's song Africa and Babylon is Burning. WIKKED!!!! I believe she will be a radio guest on my show this Sunday.

Tell dem sista!

STR8 DUTTYISM...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login