Copy cats of Burning Spear
November 09, 2013 12:18PM
Unlike many other legends, I am not aware of any artists copying the Burning Spear sound and singing. Why is that? Reggae artists traditionally have been not only influenced, but seem to be copying the way singers sing and deejays chat.
Re: Copy cats of Burning Spear
November 09, 2013 02:46PM
One of my favorite reggae singers Sylford Walker was heavily influenced by Burning Spear, modeling his early singing after Spear's style. So much so that when his first record Burn Babylon was released in Jamaica, some guys did not believe Sylford when he said it was him singing, they thought he was trying to take credit for a Burning Spear song and this argument caused a fight. As he wrote more songs he found more of his own unique style. One can definitely hear the Spear influence in his music.
November 09, 2013 02:46PM

Sylford Walker- Burn Babylon
November 09, 2013 03:26PM
To my ears, DAWEH CONGO is one artist that sounds a bit like Jah Spear......
November 09, 2013 04:40PM
There was a cat back in the '70s who went by the moniker Burning Junior. This is his best known tune.

November 09, 2013 06:28PM
Joseph Hill also had what I call the 'griot' voice like Spear...fraught with ancient folk wisdom. Daweh also has that sound, as did his father Leo Graham. Ras Midas is another artist with that vocal quality.
November 09, 2013 06:39PM
Here's SPIRITUAL, who sounds at times like Burning Spear:

And at other times like Joseph Hill:

November 09, 2013 08:01PM
A little more subtle, but I think Busy Signal's "Run Weh" has a hint of the Spear influence.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/09/2013 08:02PM by IshenTree.
November 10, 2013 09:54PM
Daniel

Was listening to "Human Rights and Jystice" just last night, and I have to agree with Daniel.

Forward
Jah Son
November 11, 2013 04:35PM
Daniel

they REALLY REALLY need to come to SNWMF...
November 13, 2013 01:23AM
Winston Jarrett is the obvious answer in my ears

Respect Same Way
November 14, 2013 07:38PM
I agree Stamina, sometimes when I used to play some Culture/Joseph HIll, people would ask "Is that Burning Spear?"
November 15, 2013 10:56PM
Yeah Reggabe and Stams: I think they sound somewhat unique on their studio cuts, but live Hill and Rodney are extremely similar (no complaints here - I love the style). My friend Brian Z mentioned it at ROTR once when Culture was playing, and I recall thinking to myself "how did I never notice that before?"

"I'm gonna put on a iron shirt, and chase the devil out of earth" - Max Romeo
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login